Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA Revolver Inspection - The Right Way Outpost75 Pistol and Revolver Forum 0 01-27-2018 04:57 PM
Schmidt & Bender Sale Update gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 12-11-2017 10:49 AM
Schmidt & Bender Holiday Update gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 12-07-2017 10:05 AM
semi auto ccw is a PITA Woodswalker Pistol and Revolver Forum 48 09-07-2017 09:27 AM
Revolver vs Semi Auto gondwana Pistol and Revolver Forum 244 06-29-2017 03:25 PM

View Poll Results: CCW: Semi auto? Or Revolver?
Give me the semi-automatic. 90 70.31%
I'll take the wheelgun. 38 29.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2018, 01:50 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts
Default CCW: Revolver or Semi?

Advertise Here

assuming state laws aren't a barrier, which is your preference and why?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 AM

Revolver. I found myself not cleaning my 1911 on a weekly basis. Getting lazy, I guess. With age, the revolver seemed to carry better for me. YMMV. Hank . Ruger Speed Six in 357Mag for me, too.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hank For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:55 AM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

with little to no training, revolver, for myself i use a makarov
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018, 02:05 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,530 Times in 6,486 Posts

I find the smaller guns get, the less reliable they tend to be.

So my CC weapon is a Ruger LCRx .38 snubby revolver.

Its a gun I really love despite all its obvious short comings. Something about it is just really appealing.

And its so light it drops into a pocket (with a trigger guard clip) and vanishes.

But its also a back up gun most of the time. My real EDC is an open carried full size beretta PX4 9mm.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 02:14 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Lcr 357 for me.
Not sure why but it works
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SmallGame2100 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 02:49 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,828 Times in 9,443 Posts

Top considerations:

Reliability. Effective tie. Modern semi-autos are just as reliable as revolvers. I've had both fail, about same regularity. Clearing failures is probably hard to gauge depending on the type of failure. The worst catastrophic failures can disable both. Garden variety failures are unlikely with premium SD ammo, so of minimal concern, to none.

Accuracy. Tie.

Capacity. Easily semi-autos. Same size gun, can get around twice as much capacity in practically equivalent chamberings. (.38, .357, 9mm, .40). This really is exaggerated after 2-4 reloads. Three full loads of a revolver is ~18 rounds. That's 1 magazine in a 9mm. Or 3 full loads in a .40 is around ~45 rounds. 45 is a lot bigger than 18.

Speed. Semi-auto for me (I'm not Miculek). Hammer guns are nearly the same, but the semi-offers a recoil spring. Striker seems faster.

Speed of reload. Semi-auto. (Perhaps you can achieve a tie with significant practice with a revolver but you're still behind the curve on capacity, so it takes basically 2 revolver reloads to match a semi-auto reload - to to be fair your revolver reloads need to be twice as fast as a semi-auto and that's a feat)

Ergos. Semi is flatter and ergos are just better for me. In the same sized gun, the semi fits my hand better, and carries concealed better. Revolvers are thick at the cylinder, and the "banana" shaped handle isn't as good for me.

Weight. Polymer semi-auto wins. About a 1/3rd lighter.

Recoil. The design of the semi with the recoil spring allows for the physics to reduce the recoil. Semi is less punishing recoil wise based on the recoil spring. Revolvers rely on weight and upward recoil.

Ease of cleaning. Semi-auto. Take down takes max 15 seconds. Full field strip and clean maybe 3-5 minutes for a very good cleaning. Carbon is contained to the chamber and barrel mostly. Compared to a revolver, where carbon gets on many surfaces out the front and back of the casing, and in the forcing cone, etc., and you have all 5-7 cylinders and the barrel. If you don't get the carbon off the front of the cylinder it will never come off. Quick clean or deep clean, the semi-wins.

Top-end power. Tie, perhaps an edge to .357 revolver, but it can be effectively and practically matched by +P semi-auto ammo or .357 sig loads. It's an effective tie, maybe a marginal edge to the revolver.

About the only place I'd carry a revolver is a full power revolver in back country. Then, maybe.

I still love the beauty of the wheelgun and have many. Used to carry a Ruger SP101. But the 5 rounds is just not enough. In a similar 1" single stack 9mm Walther, I can get 8 rnds of 9mm. And faster reloads. Just as reliable and accurate.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 03:00 AM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,889 Times in 605 Posts

Depends on what time of the year/what I am doing. Shorts/T-shirts...S&W M60 Pro....just around the house/yard......around town running errands....Browning Hp....Road trips....S&W 686....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 03:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,110 Times in 2,682 Posts

LCRX 357

Simple , reliable , no magazine to deal with , not finicky about which ammo , easier to clean , lightweight , easy to conceal .

I prefer the look and feel of revolvers and the versatility of the 38/357
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Woodswalker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 04:28 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Modern semi-autos are just as reliable as revolvers
I have found this to be true with full sized semi-autos but sub-compacts are a different story. I find them to be ammo sensitive and stance and grip sensitive. You can totally make them work, but I just find them 'fiddly'.

As for ergonomics, I really like modern revolvers. More comfortable than any semi for me and conceal better.

And its the hardest type of gun to learn to use well. High recoil, low capacity, bad sight radius, you have everything stacked against you.

But for 99% of DGU's that will be enough....and even with that being said I still like to have a full sized double stack on my hip when I can, but even knowing its limitations the LCR is so damn handy its hard to leave at home. I think its smaller and lighter than my wallet, you can really forget your carrying it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,110 Times in 3,018 Posts

5 shooter for me. I want a sweet single action pull. I've shot enough cowboy action that manually cocking the gun is a natural and hardly any slower than DA. DA is there for emergencies.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default ////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post

You cant go wrong with either. If you are built and live in a climate that you can carry a Glock 19 or any of its clones go that route . If you are In a situation were you need a compact package . It a get a little harder to make a decision . The small pocket semi autos I don't feel accurate enough to give me confidence . I also see that they are fussy eaters and tend to FTE allot.
The revolver does have some advantage in this matter .357 Mag is a very affective round providing you hit the target in the right spot . The semi autos
you can reload a little quicker and have possibly 2-3 more rounds. Its a tough
one but any gun that you practice with you will become efficient. Any gun is better than none. What type of pistols do you own now ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surfcast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,828 Times in 9,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I have found this to be true with full sized semi-autos but sub-compacts are a different story. I find them to be ammo sensitive and stance and grip sensitive. You can totally make them work, but I just find them 'fiddly'.

As for ergonomics, I really like modern revolvers. More comfortable than any semi for me and conceal better.

And its the hardest type of gun to learn to use well. High recoil, low capacity, bad sight radius, you have everything stacked against you.

But for 99% of DGU's that will be enough....and even with that being said I still like to have a full sized double stack on my hip when I can, but even knowing its limitations the LCR is so damn handy its hard to leave at home. I think its smaller and lighter than my wallet, you can really forget your carrying it.
Seems impossible to believe revolvers recoil less. Semi autos are, by design, have a recoil system that absorbs a significant amount of recoil. I'm no engineer, but all things considered, a revolver has NO recoil design and it's all up/back into the shooter. Semi-auto has uses recoil to chamber a new round and the slide moves back several inches under spring tension/shock absorbing action.

And this translates and corresponds to my real world experience. Shooting my Ruger SP101 is unpleasant. Shooting any compact 40 or 9 that size is no issue whatsoever. Recoil is far greater in the revolver.

As for size comparison and reliability, try again.

Subcompact Glock and XD are identical print size as a small revolver. Thinner yet, Shield, XDs, Walther PPS, Kahr P9, etc. - these offer outstanding reliability.

Also, revolvers suffer from requiring a little longer handle for grip and control, and thickness, which are the two harder dimensions to conceal.

Grip length - For 3 fingers, a revolver for me requires a full extra inch of length due to the design and low trigger height compared to semi. A grip that offers 2 fingers on a revolver gets me 3 fingers on a semi. Or 2 on a semi is nearly impossible on a revolver.

I'm unconvinced by what you wrote.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 45,884 Times in 10,588 Posts

I use both, not at the same time of course.......

I've got a 357 snub I carry 38+P's in and then a hi-cap 9 I carry when I'm feeling naughty.......

If things are looking bad outside, the 1911 is on stand-by

Just like my wife always says.......

Size doesn't matter unless it's too small.........
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 06:23 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Seems impossible to believe revolvers recoil less.
It is impossible. I never said that they did. They recoil more, no question about that, I even said as much. A subcompact revolver demands more of the shooter than any other gun. They are a hard weapon to use well.

Quote:
I'm unconvinced by what you wrote.
Thats good, I wasn't trying to convince you of anything...other than I like subcompact revolvers more than similarly sized autos. Luckily for both of us revolvers and semi's are both very popular and made in large enough numbers and styles to keep us both happy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I've not found any of the popular sub-compacts ammo sensitive in the very least. From the XDS, G43, and the Shield I can tell you those run flawlessly with numerous manufacturer's ammo as well as some reloads.

Stance sensitive? Unless you have a poor stance from the get-go. Grip? Well, if you're not doing thumbs forward, then you're holding any semi auto incorrectly. Don't get me started on limp wristing

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-gWCYKKm70Ns/UC...5B7%25255D.jpg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QUADDAMAGE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 09:52 AM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,253 Times in 4,939 Posts

My preference is the autos, specifically, the full size, high cap versions, but I wouldnt be upset at all, if all I had was a decent DA revolver and the proper accessories to go with it.

Really doesnt matter what you choose, as long as your well practiced with them, shoot them well, "realistically", and understand their strong and weak points and are prepared to deal with the latter.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Seems impossible to believe revolvers recoil less. Semi autos are, by design, have a recoil system that absorbs a significant amount of recoil. I'm no engineer, but all things considered, a revolver has NO recoil design and it's all up/back into the shooter. Semi-auto has uses recoil to chamber a new round and the slide moves back several inches under spring tension/shock absorbing action.
well.. its a bit inaccurate to say one recoils more.. same weight revolver and auto firing the same round is going to result in the same amount of energy being transferred into the shooters hand from the round being fired.. you're going to absorb the same amount of energy from either one, the difference is that with the auto youre absorbing less energy but over a longer duration instead of it hitting you all at once

i do agree with aerindel that my experience with pocket size recoil operated autos have been that they do not have the reliability of their larger counterparts, and thats the main reason i use a makarov instead of some pocket 9
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,139 Posts

Which one do you shoot the best?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,781 Times in 1,948 Posts

My EDC is Ruger 2-3/4" Speed Six,.357 DAO with bobbed hammer. Sometimes I carry a 3" Colt DS - instead or also. My preference is for a 6-shot .38 Special +P or .357, but in circumstances where I cannot carry the preferred revolver I'll take a DA autopistol which can be drawn and fired immediately without manipulation of an external safety. I want a DA trigger pull like a revolver so muscle memory is the same. I don't use striker-fired autos with Glock-style triggers, but have two SIG P230s for when I need a lighter and flatter gun and New York Reload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RugerSpeedSix357DAO.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	258410   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-inchColtDS38.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	258418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P230.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	258426  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,713 Times in 5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post

I want to preface this by saying I regularly carry a J-frame. It's a gun I like and can use effectively.

BUT... if I had to choose between a revolver and a semi as my only choice, it would be the semi every time.
Reasons? Capacity, only hits count and even the smallest semi's have six to eight rounds with ten to 15 being really common. More rounds = more chances for critical hits.

Reload speed, unless your last name is Miculek you're probably not able to reload a revolver in anything near the speed of a semi. Not to mention carrying an extra mag is usually easier than a speedloader. If you go with a speedstrip then you're actually slowing reload speed.

Recoil, while same round in same weight pistol produces same recoil, there is a mechanical advantage with a semi over a revolver. You have the recoil spring using energy, and you have the reciprocating mass of the slide using energy. Both mitigate felt recoil. This generally allows for quicker acquisition of the front sight, and thus faster follow up shots.

Energy. In the same size revolver and semi, you generally have a longer barrel in the semi, as the revolver has to account for cylinder space.
My Kahr CM9 has a three inch barrel while my 638 only has a 1.87 inch barrel. One inch might be marginal, but every advantage helps if you're in a gunfight. Not to mention that modern 9mm is designed to be more efficient in shorter barrels than most 38spl anyway.
The caveat to this is when you get to the magnum rounds. 357 is definitely a superior round to 9mm, but there are tradeoffs to using that round in smaller revolvers. If you use a larger revolver, then you get into the sizes of semi's that can run things like 10mm, 357sig, etc...

Are there those that can shoot a revolver as fast as a semi? Sure, JM is a world class example. But the reality is that most cannot. So if I had only one, it would be a semi. YMMV, of course.