How to Survive a Knife Attack to the Back - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to survive a bear attack. ShellbackBill Jokes, Humor & Music 9 06-05-2017 04:56 AM
Survive Terrorist attack in Gun Free country? TXyakr Manmade and Natural Disasters 23 04-09-2015 09:33 AM
How to survive a knife attack Survivalist-Kane Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 33 02-24-2015 05:05 AM
How to Survive a Nuclear Attack on CBS News HuskerBill Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 10-30-2011 02:46 PM
Voted Most Likely to Survive an EMP Attack TMcArthur Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 06-10-2011 02:15 PM
Survive a nuke attack? Gem of a Jenn Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 8 12-26-2010 10:55 AM
How To Survive A Pandemic or Chemical Attack Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-05-2009 12:49 PM
The best way to survive a chemical or biological attack. GunGourd Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 11 05-14-2009 01:57 PM
How To Survive A Nuclear Attack Newsfeed General Discussion 9 02-20-2009 02:17 AM
Can you survive a Nuclear Attack? Fred8328 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 01-27-2009 09:47 AM

Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Knocked Down But Up Again

Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,459 Posts
Default How to Survive a Knife Attack to the Back

Advertise Here

Found this on YouTube...pretty good advice:

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! https://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimasmom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,237 Times in 1,417 Posts

How about if you just run away?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 AM

I took martial arts for many years and I would agree, run away if possible. If you gave fight someone with a knife more often than not you are going to get cut.

Thats why you always see martial artists use wooden knives in these demos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Survivor

Some consequences to not running away....

Warning the following is graphic....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sojurn87 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Knocked Down But Up Again

Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojurn87 View Post
How about if you just run away?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm only 4'11". I'm not likely to be lucky enough to outrun someone over 6'.

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! https://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
Old 06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,035 Times in 442 Posts

I read somewhere that cons in prison somehow place thick magazines between their bodies and their shirts when going about their prison activities to help sheild themselves from a knife attack.

BTW that picture was disturbing, but if the attacker knew what he was doing, he would have thrust the blade into the body instead of slashing it. Then the only pictures would be from a morgue.....

Perhaps a thick leather jacket would be best to wear. It won't do much to stop thrusts but it will prevent a lot of damage to the upper body slash-wise.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,848 Times in 2,020 Posts

Not a knife "attack", but a knife "threat". As in, the perp walks up and HOLDS a knife to your back.

In an attack from behind, you would probably just be dead meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimasmom View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm only 4'11". I'm not likely to be lucky enough to outrun someone over 6'.
If you have adrenaline pumping through you, in fear of your life, you might be surprised how fast you can run.

By turning around and attacking your assailant at 4'11" (I know exactly how tall that is, you're the same height as my mom )

You are at a tremendous strength disadvantage. If at all possible, running may be your best option.

If running is not an option...

You need to master that maneuver with someone much larger than you, and resisting with all of their strength against you. It's the only way you will prevail if forced.

I will also add this, when presented with no other option, you need to IMMEDIATLEY Incapacitate your assailant. A strike to the head will not be sufficient from someone of your stature. A chop to the throat has some statistical probability, but I'm even leary of that because of your size. You do not want to be inside the grasp of a larger individual when they have a knife, if you cannot immediately incapacitate them.

Incapacitate in this circumstance shall be difined as....

Massive head/neck trauma, or complete removal of the weapon wielding limb.

If you are carrying a firearm, you need to buy time to get to it. Distance may get you the extra time. Maneuvering around the car may get you the extra time. ect....

Because of your stature, you need to take advantage of your natural attributes. Strength is not one of them. Speed??

Hone your situational awareness ability.....
Old 06-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregener View Post
Not a knife "attack", but a knife "threat". As in, the perp walks up and HOLDS a knife to your back.

Which also brings up an interesting point.

He wants something from you, if it's monetary. I'd give it up and then run.....
Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Target Shooter

If you can avoid it do not step to his inside, that is where his other arm is ready to punch you or his legs to knee you; step to the outside.

In the video if the fellow stepped more forward with his left leg then he would have been in position to sweep the leg to take the guy down. My preferred method to attacking the legs in class is to stomp the back of the knee and thereby folding it.

I recently told a fellow student to attack me with a wood knife vigorously and was able to disarm him almost every time. However, when it came time for him to defend from the knife I easily "cut up" his arms several times every time because I practice Filipino limb destruction and not just focus on attacking the torso. The hands and arms are what is closest to you, attack them first if they are in the way.

Attacks from behind are the most difficult to defend against which also means that the more you can get to the outside or backside of an attacker the safer your defense will be. So stay away from his inside where he has all his natural weapons to use.

Last edited by OhCanada; 06-20-2009 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,423 Times in 6,592 Posts

Quote:

I completely agree here. There is a HUGE difference between threat and attack. In an attack, the guy would not be holding that knife in your back and allowing you to do the meanuver. Instead you will be stabbed repeatedly and quickly. A threat, however is what was shown in the end of that video.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Resident Ninja

Thanked 1,825 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:

I agree, too.

Not knowing someone is sneaking up behind you and about to stab you in the back (possibly repeatedly) - would probably mean certain death. If not, it's doubtful you'd have the strength to render much damage to the perp. Not to mention the obvious fact that you'd seriously be caught off-guard to say the least... and sometimes, that's enough of a factor to mean you're a goner.
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
I agree, too.

Not knowing someone is sneaking up behind you and about to stab you in the back (possibly repeatedly) - would probably mean certain death. If not, it's doubtful you'd have the strength to render much damage to the perp. Not to mention the obvious fact that you'd seriously be caught off-guard to say the least... and sometimes, that's enough of a factor to mean you're a goner.
+2. They won't survive if the attacker even has the barest knowledge. the back of our bodies is not protected very well. The ribs, spine, neck, head, biceps, back of the knee and other points.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,787 Times in 4,501 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojurn87 View Post
If you have adrenaline pumping through you, in fear of your life, you might be surprised how fast you can run.

By turning around and attacking your assailant at 4'11" (I know exactly how tall that is, you're the same height as my mom )

You are at a tremendous strength disadvantage. If at all possible, running may be your best option.

If running is not an option...

You need to master that maneuver with someone much larger than you, and resisting with all of their strength against you. It's the only way you will prevail if forced.

I will also add this, when presented with no other option, you need to IMMEDIATLEY Incapacitate your assailant. A strike to the head will not be sufficient from someone of your stature. A chop to the throat has some statistical probability, but I'm even leary of that because of your size. You do not want to be inside the grasp of a larger individual when they have a knife, if you cannot immediately incapacitate them.

Incapacitate in this circumstance shall be difined as....

Massive head/neck trauma, or complete removal of the weapon wielding limb.

If you are carrying a firearm, you need to buy time to get to it. Distance may get you the extra time. Maneuvering around the car may get you the extra time. ect....

Because of your stature, you need to take advantage of your natural attributes. Strength is not one of them. Speed??

Hone your situational awareness ability.....
I have been attacked with a knife and lucky for me that i knew and practiced unarmed combat,unlucky or lucky for me depending how you see it i just took a stab to the arm and even luckier the wound was in between two veins and not across them.

How did i defend myself,well he thrusted the knife at me and i side stepped and took a stab to the inside of my right arm,on the second thrust i blocked his right hand with the back of my right hand whilst stepping to the left and chopped him in the throut with a ridge hand strike,kick to the bollocks and finished with a head stomp.

I had no choice other than to fight and was lucky,very lucky but ive always been taught that you create your own luck which just by learning unarmed combat gave me a fighting chance.

What advise would i give,Run.

Go learn how to defend yourself.

If your walking the street carry a tightly rolled magazine and if there is a small chance of being attacked by a knife wielding thug and no way out jab him in the eye with the rolled up magazine and twist it into his eyes,this should give you a reach advantage and give you time to RUUUUUNNNNN,but remember that if you get the chance a good hard kick to the bollocks will give you more time to escape.

But just remember the best line of defence is awareness,knowledge and being prepared..
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,010 Times in 633 Posts

I totally believe in luck. The harder I work and the more I practice, the more luck I have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 11,422 Times in 4,431 Posts

Don't forget to take off your shirt.

Wrapping a jacket or shirt around your 'weak' arm gives you some protection when attempting to deflect blows...if you plan on staying there and fighting. Of course you always hope that the attacker is not keen enough to keep his/her knife razor sharp, making it a much more effective technique.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Sorry About Your Feelings

Thanked 29,806 Times in 12,223 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

This is why we carry guns to a knife fight.
(And that photo was disturbing)

'nuf said.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dark One For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Target Shooter

So who here has actually been attacked by someone with a knife?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,787 Times in 4,501 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunGourd View Post
So who here has actually been attacked by someone with a knife?
Post 14.

Ive been attacked more than once with a knife but only stabbed once,i got slashed once across the chest too..
Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Ready

I think the more important message is to be situationally aware so that someone with a knife does not get the drop on you IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian2009 For This Useful Post: