Best AR15 Manufacturer on the market - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Top to Bottom AR Platform Manufacturer Essayon Military Weapons Forum 34 02-18-2014 10:39 PM
Manufacturer price differences eripey Military Weapons Forum 55 07-23-2013 11:08 AM
Favorite pistol manufacturer Apocalypse Now Polls and Surveys 118 01-02-2013 06:35 PM
Best Knife Manufacturer hari3079 Knives, Swords & Axes 10 11-12-2012 07:31 PM
Political Stock Market Trader Tries To Manipulate Market blackkitty Political News and Discussion 3 11-05-2012 05:09 PM
Tell me about the bad customer service you got from a gun manufacturer Sped Man Rifle Forum 7 10-12-2011 07:30 PM
Mexico wants to sue US Gun manufacturer A1D General Discussion 59 05-03-2011 12:17 AM
European Shelter manufacturer ? sgt. amoth Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-01-2010 01:25 PM
Best Product of Each Manufacturer? KaBar67 Firearms General Discussion 10 05-25-2010 11:41 PM

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,059 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
Never had a 1911 that ran, so I cant comment there.
Ever been through any carbine courses or spoken with instructors that teach them? Ask how often rra takes a dump and how often colts go down. They see a lot or guns and know what works.
I always love it when the civilians pull out the 'schools'. Nope I have never been to a 'carbine' course. But I was in combat 3 tours with Colt's in my hands so I know how much those run. Oh yeah I almost forgot......I attended SFAUC(does that count as a 'carbine' course?) and most of my friends have attended and been instructors at SFARTEC so I have see quite a few M4's and AR15's in my short little life. I guess you didn't hear that the Rock River Arms smoked the Colt in the DEA AR15 test hence why they carry RRA's and not Colt's.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranger375 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormfarmer1 View Post
I got a Daniel Defense for 1300 and some change shipped to my local pawnshop from cheaper than dirt. I chose it because I can shoot just about any brand and case in it and don't have any problems until i run out of ammo.(then I have to go home) I Know a Colt is a fine rifle since I carried one while in Iraq. I do think which is my opinion that the DD is a much better rifle. So since you asked I would order one online and have it sent to a FFL I promise you will be a happy shooter. love that this thread is 3 years old lol
Daniel Defense takes a giant poop on Colt and makes them eat it in about every area of rifle building you can imagine.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
Daniel Defense takes a giant poop on Colt and makes them eat it in about every area of rifle building you can imagine.
I like DD over colt, but wouldn't touch rra. Their 2 stage triggers are testament enough to their quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I guess you didn't hear that the Rock River Arms smoked the Colt in the DEA AR15 test hence why they carry RRA's and not Colt's.
Not true.
I had heard that the DEA had given a contract to RRA some time ago for "cost cutting measures". So after reading your statement, I did some quick, simple research. It was not even a full contract, in that NOT every DEA agent issued a rifle was given a RRA. Due to some problems, quality control issues (normal stuff from RRA) and complaints from agents, they started going away from RRA OVER 2 years ago. The DEA then bought some LWRC rifles. I have no idea what they use now.
RRA makes a nice rifle, IF you use for what it is intended for. Hobby, hunting, range gun. They are NOT built to minimum standards set for a combat/ duty weapon.
Two different things that happen to look the same.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I always love it when the civilians pull out the 'schools'. Nope I have never been to a 'carbine' course. But I was in combat 3 tours with Colt's in my hands so I know how much those run. Oh yeah I almost forgot......I attended SFAUC(does that count as a 'carbine' course?) and most of my friends have attended and been instructors at SFARTEC so I have see quite a few M4's and AR15's in my short little life. I guess you didn't hear that the Rock River Arms smoked the Colt in the DEA AR15 test hence why they carry RRA's and not Colt's.
Colt got a bigger piece of the contract that RRA did. RRA just made a big deal about it in the press because they don't have much else going.
http://www.fbodaily.com/archive/2003...003/10-awd.htm
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Default Grow up, and learn something

Quote:
I always love it when the civilians pull out the 'schools'. Nope I have never been to a 'carbine' course.
Are you not a civilian now yourself?
I am a veteran, and a LEO academy grad. Those "schools" you look down your nose at are how you keep your skills sharp over the YEARS.
Most "schools" are ran by active duty/ retired professionals. I am sure there are some ran by "wannabe ninjas", just do your homework.
My friend/ intructor is retired Army, and has the contract to teach EVERY Army MP in the green machine firearms. He is also friends with Kyle Lambe ( that should give you a clue to what he did for a living while active duty).

http://www.advancedperformanceshooti.../About_Us.html
Come on down to MO, you might learn something from this good man at his "school".

I fired 750 plus rounds through my Bravo Co. in 9 hours at Jim's 1 day carbine course, failure free. Only failure were 2 non tier 1 rifles and a broken extractor on friend's high round count (well over 5000) competition rifle with lightweight JP bcg.
With the thousands of rounds fired in short periods of time, the instructors of these schools have seen it all. There is a reason they shoot BCM, ect.

Last edited by PortDawg; 01-16-2012 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Adding comment
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
"Not vengence Punishment"

I haven't seen anyone mention Les Baer Customs yet. Makes me think they are too expensive or all hype.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
Are you not a civilian now yourself?
I am a veteran, and a LEO academy grad. Those "schools" you look down your nose at are how you keep your skills sharp over the YEARS.
Most "schools" are ran by active duty/ retired professionals. I am sure there are some ran by "wannabe ninjas", just do your homework.
My friend/ intructor is retired Army, and has the contract to teach EVERY Army MP in the green machine firearms. He is also friends with Kyle Lambe ( that should give you a clue to what he did for a living while active duty).

http://www.advancedperformanceshooti.../About_Us.html
Come on down to MO, you might learn something from this good man at his "school".
Have a friend who was in the USMC. After watching a Magpul DVD he was mad that he hadn't been taught half that stuff and could have really used some of the techniques back in the sand-box.

I am not arguing that a Magpul DVD is some kind of magic pill or substitute for actually running a gun/experience, I am just saying that in my experience most "regular" enlisted are trained to the lowest common denominator when it comes to shooting, hand-to-hand, etc.

This becomes apparent when you get into the ring with them or shoot next to them.

There are a LOT of people in the military, and uncle sam doesn't have the time to train each of them to the utmost like they would get with more 1:1 attention and consideration for their specific strengths/weaknesses.

Experience cannot be over-rated, though.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Gettin By

Thanked 1,609 Times in 664 Posts

So why do these threads always turn into a ****ING match? If something works for you, then go for it and be happy. If something someone else uses would not be your choice, THEN DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!.

Enough with the personal attacks. Let it go. I figure that the time is short enough already, that I personally don't have the time for school yard spats, my time can be much better spent preparing.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amra910 View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention Les Baer Customs yet. Makes me think they are too expensive or all hype.
They put the castle-nut on backwards so that it doesn't snag on anything. I think that they are a joke. The Les Baer TRS that I owned being a pile of junk doesn't help my opinion of the company, either. I avoid their crap with extreme prejudice. For illustration purposes, here is the inside of my hard chrome TRS.

Yeah. Won't be buying any more Baers.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
So why do these threads always turn into a ****ING match? If something works for you, then go for it and be happy. If something someone else uses would not be your choice, THEN DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!.

Enough with the personal attacks. Let it go. I figure that the time is short enough already, that I personally don't have the time for school yard spats, my time can be much better spent preparing.
Because you can't determine "Best" without a bit of ****ing.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Default ???

Quote:

No personal attacks, just EDUCATION against some false info. This site is full of horribly wrong info and assumptions. Breathe deep and relax.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,165 Times in 3,373 Posts

What matters most is a good trigger, who made the barrel, and your skill level.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,026 Posts

Check out the new 2012 Colt Catalog (high res)
http://www.coltsmfg.com/MediaDownloads.aspx
I want the LE901-16s.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Gettin By

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
No personal attacks, just EDUCATION against some false info. This site is full of horribly wrong info and assumptions. Breathe deep and relax.
My point was this. What someone elses experience with something may be, does not make it fact.

There are people who will swear that gun X is the greatest ever built, but someone else may have had a bad experience with that gun. Just because someone else likes a certin gun, and someone else doesn't, does not make what the guy who likes it, or the guy who doesn't is saying "false info". It's called opinion, not fact.
Now if someone wants to post REAL FACTS, links to credible articles that back up what they are saying, then it may become fact. Untill that happens it is OPINION and should be treated as such.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
My point was this. What someone elses experience with something may be, does not make it fact.

There are people who will swear that gun X is the greatest ever built, but someone else may have had a bad experience with that gun. Just because someone else likes a certin gun, and someone else doesn't, does not make what the guy who likes it, or the guy who doesn't is saying "false info". It's called opinion, not fact.
Now if someone wants to post REAL FACTS, links to credible articles that back up what they are saying, then it may become fact. Untill that happens it is OPINION and should be treated as such.
How is this for fact? It's a RRA bolt-carrier.

Here is a Colt bolt-carrier.

Here is a Bushmaster bolt-carrier.

Here is an BCM bolt-carrier.

Here is a DPMS bolt-carrier

Here is my personal AR, a Noveske:

That tells me all I need to know. Some companies care about the little things that add up to a jam-o-matic vs. a reliable gun, and some don't.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Gettin By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
How is this for fact? It's a RRA bolt-carrier.

Here is a Colt bolt-carrier.

Here is a Bushmaster bolt-carrier.

Here is an BCM bolt-carrier.

Here is a DPMS bolt-carrier

That tells me all I need to know. Some companies care about the little things that add up to a jam-o-matic vs. a reliable gun, and some don't.
OK so what is the source of these pictures? Are they photos that you took, or as I said are they from a credible web site? If they are from a site, post up the link so we can look at them ourselves. If not then we have no real way to verify that they are what you claim them to be.

BTW if you would like I will post you pictures of a MARKED Colt bolt carrier that sheared in two at one of our classes. You name it and I can find you bad parts that they have turned out. It's just human nature to miss a little QC now and again.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,471 Posts

lwrc- $2000 for one. i like them.
The Following User Says Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
OK so what is the source of these pictures? Are they photos that you took, or as I said are they from a credible web site? If they are from a site, post up the link so we can look at them ourselves. If not then we have no real way to verify that they are what you claim them to be.

BTW if you would like I will post you pictures of a MARKED Colt bolt carrier that sheared in two at one of our classes. You name it and I can find you bad parts that they have turned out. It's just human nature to miss a little QC now and again.
Sadly, that is part of the human condition. The difference is, when it happens to a Colt, something was missed in QC. When it happens to a DPMS, it's because there was no standard to begin with in most cases.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6993

There is no source for my Noveske other than what I took. It is my own personal rifle. Noveske recognized that what they were doing was pure crap (see "Early Noveske") in the thread I linked, and they fixed it ASAP. Now it looks and works like it should. S&W has fixed theirs as well.

Further, look at the castle-nuts on a lot of the brands who do a poor job on their gas-keys. Probably staked just as poorly, if at all. My Noveske is aggressively staked in TWO notches.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 PM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,088 Posts

I'm very partial to Rock River Arms, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DPMS, Colt, Bushmaster or from any other highly regarded company as long as the price was right.

However I will 100% stay away from Vulcan Arms because they are complete junk and I'm not a fan of stag arms because the ones I've seen at gunshows don't feel like all the other top of the line ARs I've fondled over the years. I will also stay away from Remington's ARs because my uncle had one in .204 Ruger and it keyholed because there wasn't any rifling in the barrel. I wouldn't mind the Remington 700 series, I just refuse to purchase their AR rifles because of the obvious lack of quality control.