Best AR15 Manufacturer on the market - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Top to Bottom AR Platform Manufacturer Essayon Military Weapons Forum 34 02-18-2014 10:39 PM
Manufacturer price differences eripey Military Weapons Forum 55 07-23-2013 11:08 AM
Favorite pistol manufacturer Apocalypse Now Polls and Surveys 118 01-02-2013 06:35 PM
Best Knife Manufacturer hari3079 Knives, Swords & Axes 10 11-12-2012 07:31 PM
Political Stock Market Trader Tries To Manipulate Market blackkitty Political News and Discussion 3 11-05-2012 05:09 PM
Tell me about the bad customer service you got from a gun manufacturer Sped Man Rifle Forum 7 10-12-2011 07:30 PM
Mexico wants to sue US Gun manufacturer A1D General Discussion 59 05-03-2011 12:17 AM
European Shelter manufacturer ? sgt. amoth Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-01-2010 01:25 PM
Best Product of Each Manufacturer? KaBar67 Firearms General Discussion 10 05-25-2010 11:41 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 35
Posts: 2,190
Thanks: 1,200
Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,059 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
Never had a 1911 that ran, so I cant comment there.
Ever been through any carbine courses or spoken with instructors that teach them? Ask how often rra takes a dump and how often colts go down. They see a lot or guns and know what works.
I always love it when the civilians pull out the 'schools'. Nope I have never been to a 'carbine' course. But I was in combat 3 tours with Colt's in my hands so I know how much those run. Oh yeah I almost forgot......I attended SFAUC(does that count as a 'carbine' course?) and most of my friends have attended and been instructors at SFARTEC so I have see quite a few M4's and AR15's in my short little life. I guess you didn't hear that the Rock River Arms smoked the Colt in the DEA AR15 test hence why they carry RRA's and not Colt's.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranger375 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 35
Posts: 2,190
Thanks: 1,200
Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,059 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormfarmer1 View Post
I got a Daniel Defense for 1300 and some change shipped to my local pawnshop from cheaper than dirt. I chose it because I can shoot just about any brand and case in it and don't have any problems until i run out of ammo.(then I have to go home) I Know a Colt is a fine rifle since I carried one while in Iraq. I do think which is my opinion that the DD is a much better rifle. So since you asked I would order one online and have it sent to a FFL I promise you will be a happy shooter. love that this thread is 3 years old lol
Daniel Defense takes a giant poop on Colt and makes them eat it in about every area of rifle building you can imagine.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Unobtanium's Avatar
Unobtanium Unobtanium is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW,AR
Age: 34
Posts: 9,984
Thanks: 4,287
Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
Daniel Defense takes a giant poop on Colt and makes them eat it in about every area of rifle building you can imagine.
I like DD over colt, but wouldn't touch rra. Their 2 stage triggers are testament enough to their quality.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
PortDawg's Avatar
PortDawg PortDawg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Posts: 133
Thanks: 597
Thanked 150 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
I guess you didn't hear that the Rock River Arms smoked the Colt in the DEA AR15 test hence why they carry RRA's and not Colt's.
Not true.
I had heard that the DEA had given a contract to RRA some time ago for "cost cutting measures". So after reading your statement, I did some quick, simple research. It was not even a full contract, in that NOT every DEA agent issued a rifle was given a RRA. Due to some problems, quality control issues (normal stuff from RRA) and complaints from agents, they started going away from RRA OVER 2 years ago. The DEA then bought some LWRC rifles. I have no idea what they use now.
RRA makes a nice rifle, IF you use for what it is intended for. Hobby, hunting, range gun. They are NOT built to minimum standards set for a combat/ duty weapon.
Two different things that happen to look the same.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Unobtanium's Avatar
Unobtanium Unobtanium is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW,AR
Age: 34
Posts: 9,984
Thanks: 4,287
Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
I always love it when the civilians pull out the 'schools'. Nope I have never been to a 'carbine' course. But I was in combat 3 tours with Colt's in my hands so I know how much those run. Oh yeah I almost forgot......I attended SFAUC(does that count as a 'carbine' course?) and most of my friends have attended and been instructors at SFARTEC so I have see quite a few M4's and AR15's in my short little life. I guess you didn't hear that the Rock River Arms smoked the Colt in the DEA AR15 test hence why they carry RRA's and not Colt's.
Colt got a bigger piece of the contract that RRA did. RRA just made a big deal about it in the press because they don't have much else going.
http://www.fbodaily.com/archive/2003...003/10-awd.htm
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM
PortDawg's Avatar
PortDawg PortDawg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Posts: 133
Thanks: 597
Thanked 150 Times in 74 Posts
Default Grow up, and learn something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
I always love it when the civilians pull out the 'schools'. Nope I have never been to a 'carbine' course.
Are you not a civilian now yourself?
I am a veteran, and a LEO academy grad. Those "schools" you look down your nose at are how you keep your skills sharp over the YEARS.
Most "schools" are ran by active duty/ retired professionals. I am sure there are some ran by "wannabe ninjas", just do your homework.
My friend/ intructor is retired Army, and has the contract to teach EVERY Army MP in the green machine firearms. He is also friends with Kyle Lambe ( that should give you a clue to what he did for a living while active duty).


http://www.advancedperformanceshooti.../About_Us.html
Come on down to MO, you might learn something from this good man at his "school".

I fired 750 plus rounds through my Bravo Co. in 9 hours at Jim's 1 day carbine course, failure free. Only failure were 2 non tier 1 rifles and a broken extractor on friend's high round count (well over 5000) competition rifle with lightweight JP bcg.
With the thousands of rounds fired in short periods of time, the instructors of these schools have seen it all. There is a reason they shoot BCM, ect.

Last edited by PortDawg; 01-16-2012 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Adding comment
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Amra910's Avatar
Amra910 Amra910 is offline
"Not vengence Punishment"
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,280
Thanks: 3,505
Thanked 994 Times in 500 Posts
Default

I haven't seen anyone mention Les Baer Customs yet. Makes me think they are too expensive or all hype.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Unobtanium's Avatar
Unobtanium Unobtanium is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW,AR
Age: 34
Posts: 9,984
Thanks: 4,287
Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
Are you not a civilian now yourself?
I am a veteran, and a LEO academy grad. Those "schools" you look down your nose at are how you keep your skills sharp over the YEARS.
Most "schools" are ran by active duty/ retired professionals. I am sure there are some ran by "wannabe ninjas", just do your homework.
My friend/ intructor is retired Army, and has the contract to teach EVERY Army MP in the green machine firearms. He is also friends with Kyle Lambe ( that should give you a clue to what he did for a living while active duty).


http://www.advancedperformanceshooti.../About_Us.html
Come on down to MO, you might learn something from this good man at his "school".
Have a friend who was in the USMC. After watching a Magpul DVD he was mad that he hadn't been taught half that stuff and could have really used some of the techniques back in the sand-box.

I am not arguing that a Magpul DVD is some kind of magic pill or substitute for actually running a gun/experience, I am just saying that in my experience most "regular" enlisted are trained to the lowest common denominator when it comes to shooting, hand-to-hand, etc.

This becomes apparent when you get into the ring with them or shoot next to them.

There are a LOT of people in the military, and uncle sam doesn't have the time to train each of them to the utmost like they would get with more 1:1 attention and consideration for their specific strengths/weaknesses.

Experience cannot be over-rated, though.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Blackrock's Avatar
Blackrock Blackrock is offline
Gettin By
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Living in the Background
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 292
Thanked 1,609 Times in 664 Posts
Default

So why do these threads always turn into a ****ING match? If something works for you, then go for it and be happy. If something someone else uses would not be your choice, THEN DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!.

Enough with the personal attacks. Let it go. I figure that the time is short enough already, that I personally don't have the time for school yard spats, my time can be much better spent preparing.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Unobtanium's Avatar
Unobtanium Unobtanium is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW,AR
Age: 34
Posts: 9,984
Thanks: 4,287
Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amra910 View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention Les Baer Customs yet. Makes me think they are too expensive or all hype.
They put the castle-nut on backwards so that it doesn't snag on anything. I think that they are a joke. The Les Baer TRS that I owned being a pile of junk doesn't help my opinion of the company, either. I avoid their crap with extreme prejudice. For illustration purposes, here is the inside of my hard chrome TRS.

Yeah. Won't be buying any more Baers.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Unobtanium's Avatar
Unobtanium Unobtanium is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW,AR
Age: 34
Posts: 9,984
Thanks: 4,287
Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
So why do these threads always turn into a ****ING match? If something works for you, then go for it and be happy. If something someone else uses would not be your choice, THEN DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!.

Enough with the personal attacks. Let it go. I figure that the time is short enough already, that I personally don't have the time for school yard spats, my time can be much better spent preparing.
Because you can't determine "Best" without a bit of ****ing.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
PortDawg's Avatar
PortDawg PortDawg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Posts: 133
Thanks: 597
Thanked 150 Times in 74 Posts
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
So why do these threads always turn into a ****ING match? If something works for you, then go for it and be happy. If something someone else uses would not be your choice, THEN DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!.

Enough with the personal attacks. Let it go. I figure that the time is short enough already, that I personally don't have the time for school yard spats, my time can be much better spent preparing.
No personal attacks, just EDUCATION against some false info. This site is full of horribly wrong info and assumptions. Breathe deep and relax.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Jeffrey's Avatar
Jeffrey Jeffrey is offline
Opinionated old fart.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Carolina
Age: 53
Posts: 8,047
Thanks: 1,261
Thanked 7,165 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default

What matters most is a good trigger, who made the barrel, and your skill level.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
techo's Avatar
techo techo is offline
I'll fix it
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida
Age: 60
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 1,252
Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,026 Posts
Default

Check out the new 2012 Colt Catalog (high res)
http://www.coltsmfg.com/MediaDownloads.aspx
I want the LE901-16s.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Blackrock's Avatar
Blackrock Blackrock is offline
Gettin By
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Living in the Background
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 292
Thanked 1,609 Times in 664 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
No personal attacks, just EDUCATION against some false info. This site is full of horribly wrong info and assumptions. Breathe deep and relax.
My point was this. What someone elses experience with something may be, does not make it fact.

There are people who will swear that gun X is the greatest ever built, but someone else may have had a bad experience with that gun. Just because someone else likes a certin gun, and someone else doesn't, does not make what the guy who likes it, or the guy who doesn't is saying "false info". It's called opinion, not fact.
Now if someone wants to post REAL FACTS, links to credible articles that back up what they are saying, then it may become fact. Untill that happens it is OPINION and should be treated as such.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Unobtanium's Avatar
Unobtanium Unobtanium is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW,AR
Age: 34
Posts: 9,984
Thanks: 4,287
Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
My point was this. What someone elses experience with something may be, does not make it fact.

There are people who will swear that gun X is the greatest ever built, but someone else may have had a bad experience with that gun. Just because someone else likes a certin gun, and someone else doesn't, does not make what the guy who likes it, or the guy who doesn't is saying "false info". It's called opinion, not fact.
Now if someone wants to post REAL FACTS, links to credible articles that back up what they are saying, then it may become fact. Untill that happens it is OPINION and should be treated as such.
How is this for fact? It's a RRA bolt-carrier.


Here is a Colt bolt-carrier.


Here is a Bushmaster bolt-carrier.


Here is an BCM bolt-carrier.


Here is a DPMS bolt-carrier


Here is my personal AR, a Noveske:


That tells me all I need to know. Some companies care about the little things that add up to a jam-o-matic vs. a reliable gun, and some don't.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Blackrock's Avatar
Blackrock Blackrock is offline
Gettin By
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Living in the Background
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 292
Thanked 1,609 Times in 664 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
How is this for fact? It's a RRA bolt-carrier.


Here is a Colt bolt-carrier.


Here is a Bushmaster bolt-carrier.


Here is an BCM bolt-carrier.


Here is a DPMS bolt-carrier

That tells me all I need to know. Some companies care about the little things that add up to a jam-o-matic vs. a reliable gun, and some don't.
OK so what is the source of these pictures? Are they photos that you took, or as I said are they from a credible web site? If they are from a site, post up the link so we can look at them ourselves. If not then we have no real way to verify that they are what you claim them to be.

BTW if you would like I will post you pictures of a MARKED Colt bolt carrier that sheared in two at one of our classes. You name it and I can find you bad parts that they have turned out. It's just human nature to miss a little QC now and again.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
janit0r janit0r is offline
cleaning crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: on earth
Posts: 3,113
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,471 Posts
Default

lwrc- $2000 for one. i like them.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Unobtanium's Avatar
Unobtanium Unobtanium is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW,AR
Age: 34
Posts: 9,984
Thanks: 4,287
Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
OK so what is the source of these pictures? Are they photos that you took, or as I said are they from a credible web site? If they are from a site, post up the link so we can look at them ourselves. If not then we have no real way to verify that they are what you claim them to be.

BTW if you would like I will post you pictures of a MARKED Colt bolt carrier that sheared in two at one of our classes. You name it and I can find you bad parts that they have turned out. It's just human nature to miss a little QC now and again.
Sadly, that is part of the human condition. The difference is, when it happens to a Colt, something was missed in QC. When it happens to a DPMS, it's because there was no standard to begin with in most cases.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6993

There is no source for my Noveske other than what I took. It is my own personal rifle. Noveske recognized that what they were doing was pure crap (see "Early Noveske") in the thread I linked, and they fixed it ASAP. Now it looks and works like it should. S&W has fixed theirs as well.

Further, look at the castle-nuts on a lot of the brands who do a poor job on their gas-keys. Probably staked just as poorly, if at all. My Noveske is aggressively staked in TWO notches.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 PM
strokes762's Avatar
strokes762 strokes762 is offline
operatorchan.org
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Innawoods
Posts: 2,720
Thanks: 1,409
Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default

I'm very partial to Rock River Arms, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DPMS, Colt, Bushmaster or from any other highly regarded company as long as the price was right.

However I will 100% stay away from Vulcan Arms because they are complete junk and I'm not a fan of stag arms because the ones I've seen at gunshows don't feel like all the other top of the line ARs I've fondled over the years. I will also stay away from Remington's ARs because my uncle had one in .204 Ruger and it keyholed because there wasn't any rifling in the barrel. I wouldn't mind the Remington 700 series, I just refuse to purchase their AR rifles because of the obvious lack of quality control.
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ar-15, ar15 for shtf, ar15 survival rifle, bushmaster, colt, colt 6920, colt 6920 moe, colt ar-15, colt ar-15 6920, daniel defense, rock river arms, shtf survival rifle, spikes tactical, survival rifle



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net