If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items shawn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 729 06-04-2020 10:58 AM
My long term wilderness survival pack Voodoo8648 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 35 02-20-2019 11:34 PM
GOOD/Wilderness Survival Pack RichardHenryLee Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 29 07-29-2015 11:43 AM
Solo wilderness survival pack - 10% off Delta Packs For Sale 0 03-24-2015 10:56 AM
What would be a good pack for Wilderness survival ? TheSurvivalman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 47 06-26-2013 11:18 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 12:25 PM

Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Smile If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be?

Advertise Here

I would be happy to hear some opinions on which items that are the most necessary. Personally, i would bring my knife, a big ferrocium rod and my .22lr rifle. Hope to get some different answers
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 21,440 Times in 6,013 Posts

you'll need some .22 ammo....
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,299 Times in 5,343 Posts

If I had my pack on, why would I only have three things?

I never go out, even for a day hike with the dog, without water, water filter, a small amount of food, my .45 and extra mag, (30rnds total) a tarp or piece of plastic, a pocketknife, compass, phone, PSK, etc. I always carry enough to spend a night or two just in case.

So why would I have only three things? Even my PSK, which is on my person at all times has more than three things in it.

Az
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,843 Times in 546 Posts

A knife, a water filter and duct tape
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,715 Times in 807 Posts

Leatherman, water filter, bic.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,040 Times in 4,516 Posts

Welcome to the forum Chris. We get a lot of threads with hypotheticals like your OP so don't get too upset if there are a lot of sarcastic responses. Many started by new members who get frustrated and don't return. Hang in there.

Most people here are proactive so they would think someone who is limited to only three items wasn't really prepared. Anyway I don't generally play these "what if's" but I'll bite on this one. Knife, wool blanket, and a fero rod. (I assume cloths don't count? Other wise shoes, pants and a jacket. That would be my sarcastic comment.) I'd like to have a gun but it's winter time here and I'd rather be warm.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,150 Posts

USGI sleep system

esse-6 knife kit

steel water canteen,
Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,957 Times in 2,420 Posts

What Franklin said. Lots of these Only XX items threads. I will also give you an answer. For my area it would be my machete, a BIC lighter and my cooking pot. If I can drink clean water, I could walk to a Starbucks or MickieDs in two or three days. I don't walk fast either.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 AM
swamp rat

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,289 Posts

I presume that what you are really trying to determine is the most important gear to have for wilderness survival. An old survival instructor told us that if you gave means to cut things and fire, everything else us gravy. I think that is a little simplistic for most people. I think that 3 things fir survival us only slightly less simplistic.
So I will go with this list just to play along.
Good large knife
Fire kit
Water purifier and container
Jungle hammock
Compass

That is absolute minimum in my kit and doesn't include things like 550 cord and braided fishing line wrapped around my knife sheath.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elmojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,358 Posts

Big Knife, Metal pot, Firestarting rod.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rabiddog9 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM

I'm new to SB and I appreciate the aspects here. I see the question... what are the 3 basics? Yet from those who seem to have been around I hear you say it can be done with little but why?
I guess that is why I am here to find out not the why but the hows. I have a family of 7 and we live in the city. Our eyes have been opened so now it is time for school. I look forward to the lessons I'll learn here before it is too late.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wein6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Christian

Thanked 50,622 Times in 21,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

1. Fire starting kit

2. water gathering kit

3. survival knife.

with these things most everything else can be fashioned.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,299 Times in 5,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin View Post
Welcome to the forum Chris. We get a lot of threads with hypotheticals like your OP so don't get too upset if there are a lot of sarcastic responses. Many started by new members who get frustrated and don't return. Hang in there.
I hope you don't think I was being sarcastic. This is the info that I have passed along to those willing to learn from me. Start simple. Learning how to make a fire with a bow drill is fine and dandy, but in the many, many years I've spent in the bush, it's not something that I've ever been required to do. Because I've been prepared.

I don't think it's the endless threads that are the problem, I think it's more about those stupid reality tv shows where showing off is more important because it's more entertaining than being prepared.

This is not meant to turn anyone away or off, but to turn around the ridiculous notion that enjoying the backwoods is about being uncomfortable and drinking your own urine.

Az
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Appalachian Desert Rat

A maid, porter, and a 40 mule pack train
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hershel Green For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wein6 View Post
I'm new to SB and I appreciate the aspects here. I see the question... what are the 3 basics? Yet from those who seem to have been around I hear you say it can be done with little but why?
I guess that is why I am here to find out not the why but the hows. I have a family of 7 and we live in the city. Our eyes have been opened so now it is time for school. I look forward to the lessons I'll learn here before it is too late.
May I ask what exactly "opened your eyes"? Was it one event? Or did it happen over a period of time? If so How long a period? I'm seriously interested, Thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabiddog9 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
accipere rubrum pilula

Thanked 4,329 Times in 1,271 Posts

I'll bite....
(1) large fixed blade knife
(2) ferro rod
(3) stainless steel cook pot
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to papabob56 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post
I hope you don't think I was being sarcastic. This is the info that I have passed along to those willing to learn from me. Start simple. Learning how to make a fire with a bow drill is fine and dandy, but in the many, many years I've spent in the bush, it's not something that I've ever been required to do. Because I've been prepared.

I don't think it's the endless threads that are the problem, I think it's more about those stupid reality tv shows where showing off is more important because it's more entertaining than being prepared.

This is not meant to turn anyone away or off, but to turn around the ridiculous notion that enjoying the backwoods is about being uncomfortable and drinking your own urine.

Az
Not your post in particular. I just noticed a number of "newbies" who don't seem to return after starting such a thread. Thought I'd give a heads up to the originator not to get too disgruntled.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,202 Times in 6,826 Posts

Knife, water filter and fire starter.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wein6 View Post
IMHO to fully understand the most important, immediate, requirements we need to understand more about the environment at the time. Is it deep wilderness? Suburban or urban? What season? Etc.

In an urban situation self defense may be a higher priority and the ability to scavenge for materials to use as containers or tools is likely. In a deep wilderness tools may be harder to come by but in many wild areas self defense is not as critical. Is it winter time in a northern area and thus shelter and heat is more important? Or is it summer time in the mid-Atlantic region where temperatures would be moderate?

That's why skill is key. Having skill and some creativity allows one to adjust to the environment. Having skills also will give one a stronger sense of confidence which is important to the overall survival attitude.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

If the hypothetical here is being stranded and hoping to get the hell out, rather than camp in place, I would skip the knife and even the firestarter,and I'd go with:

-rain poncho
-compass
-water filter

If we're talking longer-term, say, injured with reduced mobility, I'd have to ditch the compass for a firestarter. It's a tough call on the knife. You sure we can't have FOUR things?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post: