Community in post SHTF.. how's that work? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need: low-rent/work ex. so Oregon counry home/community fayegrimm Oregon 0 04-25-2015 11:52 AM
Community Storage after SHTF rabid1075 General Discussion 11 02-07-2013 12:04 PM
What if SHTF and your at work? LuckynKY Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 12-12-2012 04:51 PM
Community Post SHTF and Rule of Law LiamFisher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 04-27-2012 12:30 PM
What if SHTF while I'm at work? danigirl Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 02-18-2012 11:41 AM
The post SHTF survival community Xlegionaire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 04-17-2011 07:14 AM
SHTF when I'm at work merlinfire Firearms General Discussion 15 11-07-2010 01:52 AM
How do PMs actually work after SHTF? pudding7 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 03-03-2010 01:16 PM

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Default Community in post SHTF.. how's that work?

Advertise Here

Been thinking about this for a bit. In a post SHTF scenario.. some sort of long term circumstance. How does community play into that?

Taking my particular circumstances as a bit of a case study. Let me say I live in rural Northern MS. Though I live close to our city limits and a 4 lane road, my neighbors and I live on a county road system. A fair number of houses on each road, but also loads of empty acreage (forest, pasture and farmland) behind the houses. We have a good source of running water not far from our area.. a little over a 1/4 mile from my house.

About 70 miles away from us, we have got Memphis, TN. A fairly large and somewhat condensed populace and about 25 miles away we have Tupelo which is a lot smaller but will likely not be able to support it's residents, either. My own town has about 11,000 in the city limits but I think similar difficulty might be had their way as well.

Say there comes a time when everything has gone out.. no rural water pumping, no electricity flowing, natural gas, etc. I would imagine many would expect to stay where they were in my area. I plan to.

How does one go about dealing with circumstances of possible influx and what to do about it, as well as group of neighbors that might be ill prepared for the events at hand... among other things?

It seems like a very complicated subject, I think. I would like to start a discussion on the topic though and I hope you will offer input.

To start, I would like to ask, in such a case.. what do you think the first concerns a person should have in regards to their immediate community and how to address them?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mudcat Stew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Better to burn out

Thanked 6,388 Times in 1,996 Posts

A start is to get to know your neighbors and go from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red*Lion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,827 Times in 8,746 Posts

How about YOUR immediate concerns? Seems to me that prepping for yourself should precede worrying about the community at large.

Under a severe scenario (grid down, EMP, etc.), you're going to have to deal not only with potential refugees from the cities, but also those who haven't prepped in your vicinity.

I'd be far more concerned with the 11000 people nearby, the vast majority of whom probably haven't prepped, than I would with those people further away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Better to burn out

Thanked 6,388 Times in 1,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
How about YOUR immediate concerns? Seems to me that prepping for yourself should precede worrying about the community at large.

Under a severe scenario (grid down, EMP, etc.), you're going to have to deal not only with potential refugees from the cities, but also those who haven't prepped in your vicinity.

I'd be far more concerned with the 11000 people nearby, the vast majority of whom probably haven't prepped, than I would with those people further away.
I agree, but still can't hurt to get to know your neighbors.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
A start is to get to know your neighbors and go from there.
I agree Red Lion, but where do you go from there?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mudcat Stew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Quote:
I understand your point here Goose3. But I think your immediate concerns extend beyond what you have prepared for yourself. The OP was in relation to dealing with the immediate community and so on. I don't want to derail the topic.
Quote:

It's a good point, but I think if I am left to deal with 11,000 potential refugees that are nearby all on my lonesome I will have wasted quite a bit of effort preparing for anything. All the people around me, will have the exact same issue I would have in that regard, whether they have prepped or not.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,450 Times in 44,887 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
I agree, but still can't hurt to get to know your neighbors.
The part that hurts is that I DO know my neighbors. They're going to be the biggest threat.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

This has got to be the new hottest topic, even above bug out bags and significant others that won't prep. One thread barely ends when another starts. Poke around some and you'll find enough conversation about this to keep you busy for weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,827 Times in 8,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat Stew View Post
I understand your point here Goose3. But I think your immediate concerns extend beyond what you have prepared for yourself. The OP was in relation to dealing with the immediate community and so on. I don't want to derail the topic.

It's a good point, but I think if I am left to deal with 11,000 potential refugees that are nearby all on my lonesome I will have wasted quite a bit of effort preparing for anything. All the people around me, will have the exact same issue I would have in that regard, whether they have prepped or not.
Well, let me ask you this: What do you think you *can* do? Feed 'em? Create a defense group out of your neighbors to repel them?

Whether it's the hordes from Memphis or Tupelo, or the local 11,000, what are you going to do when they start going home to home looking for food?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Quote:
Well, let me ask you this: What do you think you *can* do? Feed 'em? Create a defense group out of your neighbors to repel them?

Whether it's the hordes from Memphis or Tupelo, or the local 11,000, what are you going to do when they start going home to home looking for food?
I am not sure what I can do. My neighbors are the people geographically closest to me, they have a vested interest in trying to keep things peaceful in the area. I don't see good sense in distancing myself from them in crisis.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat Stew View Post
I am not sure what I can do. My neighbors are the people geographically closest to me, they have a vested interest in trying to keep things peaceful in the area. I don't see good sense in distancing myself from them in crisis.
If you had read the posts of other people's experiences with their neighbors during a crisis, you might change your mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 PM

In my rural neighborhood I have farmers, carpenters, mechanics and many other skilled people. After several hurricanes and one ice storm we have helped each other. I am a retired electronics technician. I was not raised in the country but have lived here for 28 years. I am prepping but how long can you expect to live on stored food. The many diverse talents of my community will have to work together for the long haul. Know your neighbors and help them now whenever you can. Not everyone will be equally valuable to the community. Will Rodgers said "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects". Even if I store enough food for my family for a year, chances are I'll need help from some of my neighbors sooner than that year's time, so I'm inclined to consider some of my food as goodwill for my neighbors who might not have thought ahead. Obviously I can't feed everyone but I can share some. I'll just have to plan on storing more than I was originally thinking with that thought brought to mind in this thread. I was already planning on storing "Trade items" I'll just have to add to the list. It will not be possible to shoot everyone to defend my store of food.
The Following User Says Thank You to mississippi_man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Hiker

You are responsible for providing for your own. That's your first priority, so that you won't be a burden or a drag on your community. Having then done that, look around you and see what you can contribute to your community as whole. And I'm not necessarily talking about 'stuff' here, but also about experience, knowledge, native intelligence, medical or emergency training and leadership ability (if you have any of those things and I suspect you do).

There are sub-communities within any community as a whole. And I'd choose one or two with which to associate...beginning with a church. As an integral member of a church, you would have a strong support system with you (even if most or all of them have failed to prep). A small sub-community with not one can of beans between them is much stronger than a single individual with lots of beans. The deficit will be made up by all those characteristics I noted above, which in bad times, are at a premium. Of course there are other sub-communities, such as gun clubs, volunteer fire departments, associate sheriff's deputies, rescue organizations, prepper associations, close friends and so forth...

By doing these things, while taking a calm and laid back leadership role in as many of them as you can, will pretty much make you an important, if not almost indispensible part of an active, larger community that will serve you as a kind of protective barrier in the event of truly bad times, while serving your community as well.

I'd watch though, and try to discourage anyone attempting to put together a dedicated and exclusive community of preppers, with rules, presidents and vice presidents, treasurers and so forth. A more loosely knit group, where everyone more or less sits equal, will get more done, more quickly and safely, than just about any other entity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shotgunbill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippi_man View Post
In my rural neighborhood I have farmers, carpenters, mechanics and many other skilled people. After several hurricanes and one ice storm we have helped each other. I am a retired electronics technician. I was not raised in the country but have lived here for 28 years. I am prepping but how long can you expect to live on stored food. The many diverse talents of my community will have to work together for the long haul. Know your neighbors and help them now whenever you can. Not everyone will be equally valuable to the community. Will Rodgers said "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects". Even if I store enough food for my family for a year, chances are I'll need help from some of my neighbors sooner than that year's time, so I'm inclined to consider some of my food as goodwill for my neighbors who might not have thought ahead. Obviously I can't feed everyone but I can share some. I'll just have to plan on storing more than I was originally thinking with that thought brought to mind in this thread. I was already planning on storing "Trade items" I'll just have to add to the list. It will not be possible to shoot everyone to defend my store of food.
Welcome to the forum Mississippi Man! My experience with community has been similar in short term crisis. Hurricanes don't do much up this way, but the ice storms have left us down on power for a stretch and we get our share of tornadoes. I agree with you, in that it doesn't matter how much you got put back.. sooner or later your going to run out.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunbill View Post
You are responsible for providing for your own. That's your first priority, so that you won't be a burden or a drag on your community. Having then done that, look around you and see what you can contribute to your community as whole. And I'm not necessarily talking about 'stuff' here, but also about experience, knowledge, native intelligence, medical or emergency training and leadership ability (if you have any of those things and I suspect you do).

There are sub-communities within any community as a whole. And I'd choose one or two with which to associate...beginning with a church. As an integral member of a church, you would have a strong support system with you (even if most or all of them have failed to prep). A small sub-community with not one can of beans between them is much stronger than a single individual with lots of beans. The deficit will be made up by all those characteristics I noted above, which in bad times, are at a premium. Of course there are other sub-communities, such as gun clubs, volunteer fire departments, associate sheriff's deputies, rescue organizations, prepper associations, close friends and so forth...

By doing these things, while taking a calm and laid back leadership role in as many of them as you can, will pretty much make you an important, if not almost indispensible part of an active, larger community that will serve you as a kind of protective barrier in the event of truly bad times, while serving your community as well.

I'd watch though, and try to discourage anyone attempting to put together a dedicated and exclusive community of preppers, with rules, presidents and vice presidents, treasurers and so forth. A more loosely knit group, where everyone more or less sits equal, will get more done, more quickly and safely, than just about any other entity.
Shotgun Bill, I agree you need to worry about prepping for your own family in priority to other things. But if SHTF comes, you are only as prepared as you are at that point. I think your thoughts on community organization being loose makes a good deal of sense. Making something bureaucratic only slows accomplishing things. We have a number of churches in our area and I think they are definitely good places to start.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Default Narrowing the discussion a bit

Been thinking about this and the only sense in community is working toward common interests and needs.

Thought about the mutual need for water a community might have. I have some put back and a way for catching quite a bit of rain water. But eventually I will need more. Those who haven't got as much put back will be in much worse shape. So this seems like something that would come up first as a community need.

We have a rural water association, which means there is a deep well pump. I am assuming it has a backup generator, as we have never been without water in long power outages. However, that would only be worth what it was worth till the gas runs out. New solutions would have to be considered.

Seems this might be something that would be a good starting point since it's something everyone is going to need.

If the water association can't be corrected, then I think figuring out a way to get water from the creek down the road would be something that would be a common need. In a SHTF scenario, transit to and from a water source could be potentially dangerous.. so trying to keep the road safe might be something that would benefit everyone.

Just some thoughts.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippi_man View Post
No one can live on their own forever. Realistically how much food and supplies can one store? a year, maybe 2 at most. This is where community comes into play. To be able to survive a long term disaster you need a group comprised of people with different skills, farming and growing foodstuff is a must. Raising cattle, chickens, lambs etc is another priority for long term survival. Group must not only be skilled in different areas (carpentry, medical, etc.) but it must also be large enough to defend itself. We are social animals and need people around us to ensure long term survival. Those that think that they can survive outthere on their own for an extended period of time, a la Tarzan, are dreaming and will have a rude awakening.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Zombie Stomper

Personally, I would move to a more remote location; however, I know this simply is not an option for most so what to do about those 11k locusts...
Assuming you can get the neighbors on board, garden and livestock: these need to be in the most hard to get, hard to find, thorn filled, crawling with werewolves place any of you own.
Store all preps away from your house, split them up into many caches.

The only way I can see for you and possibly neighbors to prosper would be to ' LOOK ' just as bad off as everyone who is migrating. Wait them out, let them pass. Be hungry, dirty, angry and scared just like those on the move out of the city.

After 4+ months probably 90% will have moved on or fallen prey to a Darwin Award, then plant the garden, stock firewood etc. and move into the defend your stuff phase.

My 2
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 PM

There's alot to think about here. Best way to look at is, as most have said, prepare for your family first, then remember that most of the people in a SHTF case, will die off. You can pretty much count on between 80-90% of the population to be dead within a year of a SHTF case. From injuries, environment,where they live, robbers, etc. Its just the way it will be, after that, then you will need to start up a community to start life over again.

You should plan on being set back 100+ years, everything will have to be done manually. How did we get to where we are now? It started in small communities, that turned into towns, that turned into cities.

So the idea of building a community is a good idea. But it is best to wait til the hordes of the non-prepared are gone and your left with the ones that were.