Do we really need chest rigs? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chest Rigs/Plate Carriers RJ1670 Military Weapons Forum 307 04-18-2019 12:43 PM
Are Condor chest rigs any good? jodier7 Reviews and questions 11 08-13-2013 08:08 AM
Chest rigs may compound wounds. WILL Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 104 07-20-2013 11:53 PM
Tactical Chest Rigs HELP albertan Military Weapons Forum 19 11-09-2012 12:43 AM
Are chest rigs/mag carriers essential? duke nukem Firearms General Discussion 55 11-03-2012 03:45 PM
Where to keep chest rigs? JoeKan Firearms General Discussion 16 06-24-2012 07:58 PM
chest rigs wader12 Firearms General Discussion 9 03-11-2012 01:42 PM
M1A Chest rigs? JoeKan Firearms General Discussion 4 01-18-2012 01:42 PM
Chest Rigs DarkBlue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-25-2011 09:25 AM
Chest Rigs, Your Ideas?? DarkBlue Reviews and questions 17 03-24-2011 02:41 PM

Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,966 Times in 8,898 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
So what do you think of this one? What size mags would it hold?

I ran this LBV for years it is decent, designed for the AR15/M16 30 rd mags and if you don't need/want armor this would serve you very well.

If you want to put this type of rig together PM me and I can offer some insight into how to get the most out of it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,172 Posts

Ok here is my question, why get a rig for each gun, just get one rig that will work with a couple that your most likely to use. I have an M23 Pioneer chest rig, it works with my Galil, AK47, and 74, and if I still had one an AR15. No mater what rifle I run the gear, and magazine placement are the same, and unless you are the local Militias armorer there is little need for mutable rigs.
The Following User Says Thank You to TinmanIA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Gas! Gas! Gas!

How many mags do you need to blow through before you see an opportunity to stop shooting and reload? I don't know what the answer would be... and I suppose the answer could range from "one" to "ten". What is the capacity of the mags you use? Ten .223 30-rounders would weigh you down pretty good. We used two mag pouches on an LBE, carrying a total of three mags in one... the other mag pouch carried cigarettes, snacks, etc.

Honestly, a chest rig might be necessary if you were on a mission to clear out a small village. Practice your marksmanship and shoot less... carry fewer mags and more water... don't make enemies of small villages. I would recommend an LBV with ONE mag pouch, first aid pouch, camelback or canteen pouch/es, butt pack for food, poncho, etc. That should be more than sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 19,291 Times in 6,517 Posts

Quote:
So what do you think of this one? What size mags would it hold?
Looks great to me. Hard to see on my phone but looks like standard milsurp holds 5.56 mags 30 round or you can also fit 5.45 mags....what are you shooting?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bomblast View Post
How many mags do you need to blow through before you see an opportunity to stop shooting and reload? I don't know what the answer would be... and I suppose the answer could range from "one" to "ten". What is the capacity of the mags you use? Ten .223 30-rounders would weigh you down pretty good. We used two mag pouches on an LBE, carrying a total of three mags in one... the other mag pouch carried cigarettes, snacks, etc.

Honestly, a chest rig might be necessary if you were on a mission to clear out a small village. Practice your marksmanship and shoot less... carry fewer mags and more water... don't make enemies of small villages. I would recommend an LBV with ONE mag pouch, first aid pouch, camelback or canteen pouch/es, butt pack for food, poncho, etc. That should be more than sufficient.
This post is all sorts of wrong.

To start off....my rig only holds 8 mags total....one pouch down due to my pistol using it up...so that's 6 mags and number 7 in the rifle...
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Gas! Gas! Gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRecluse View Post
This post is all sorts of wrong.

To start off....my rig only holds 8 mags total....one pouch down due to my pistol using it up...so that's 6 mags and number 7 in the rifle...
But, that's barely over 200rnds... I think you need more.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
With all due respect....

Thanked 5,060 Times in 1,298 Posts

I don't think you "must have" a expensive brand name chest right to survive or be effective, but it does improve your odds I think. I couldn't imagine life in Iraq without my MOLLE vest and pouches that were issued to me. Some people tend to over do it, the only time I can think of when I laughed in combat was when our LT had tri mag pouches in three layers one stacked on the outside of the other along with other "high speed" pouches. He went to get in the prone and realized it was impossible without looking like a miniature pinscher in heat. It was sad... just sad. So don't OVER do it because you'll die looking like a retard.

Personally now that I'm out of the Army I have a Blackhawk Commando vest to carry my AK mags, and it works great, holds 8mags plus two side pouches. Cost is around $100. Do you need that? No. If you're really fancy you could probably make one yourself that fit your needs for really cheap. But as far as just sticking it in your pockets? No... no... no... the last thing you want to happen is for your mag to get stuck in your pocket in the middle of a firefight. I like the chest rig because it keeps the magazines right there in front of you and makes for fast reloading time... it also makes a good rifle rest for patrols
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tap Water For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 2,245 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetwork View Post
I want to throw this out for discussion its related and I've been pondering a chest rig myself...

In the late 80's we had a family of rustler's drive out to our back 40, shoot and kill 3 of our cows. Said family then proceeded to chainsaw off the bigger cuts and escape back to town (turns out they'd sell the meat). A family friend hiking found the bodies.
A few weeks later, the same rustler's hit my Uncles ranch about 20 miles away. (just a fluke) This time they shot at a bunch of kids riding dirtbikes. The kids fled to my Uncle's house, and the ranchhands and the police caught the rustlers red handed. After dozens of court dates, and courtrooms filled with cowboy hats, the perps when to jail, and my Father got one of the guns they used.

Flash forward fifteen years to me being recently retired military, back on the home ranch and my Father calls me in panic saying get your gun and get up to the house something's going on.

I threw on my body armor, strapped on my pistol, grabbed my rifle and headed out the door...it turned out to be exactly nothing but wierd car tracks in a place they should have never been, and were fresh. We never found out who it was.

Another time, I was elk hunting the late season on my ranch, sitting on top a butte glassing a basin. Anyway, at the end of this basin is a dirt county road and a car stop's at one of our gates. I'm watching this through field glasses. Our ranch is posted and our place surrounds this road on both sides for ten miles. So the car stops a guy in a business suit gets out, climbs over our gate and starts hiking towards me following the gulley at the bottom. So I shadow this guy for almost a mile and a half into my ranch. I slip down to about a hundred yards from him using pine trees as cover (they're big trees, not concealment). I yell at him, "What the hell you doing out here, this is private property". He just shruggs, turns around and walks the mile and a half back to his car. Looking back I wonder if the dude was headed out to a nice quiet spot to kill himself? It was a creepy feeling. Not, that I was in danger, I'm dead on at 300 yards. Just wierd.

Back to the ops post.....Would I be justified with a chest rig? I'm either horseback, in a pickup or on a ATV? We don't patrol except during hunting season for tresspassers, and poachers. So Dad calls freaking out, how much ammo would a rancher need? By the time LEO's would get here to help in any situation it's too late for anything. I am not Johnny Tactical, in fact I don't even wear camo hunting.-WW
Thanks so much for sharing this with us. The story about the guy in the business suit was very strange. Yes, you may have saved his life, who knows? Sounds like you have a nice "spread" too!
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
The Lord's Servant

Quote:
Looks great to me. Hard to see on my phone but looks like standard milsurp holds 5.56 mags 30 round or you can also fit 5.45 mags....what are you shooting?
762 x 39 (AK)
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
The Lord's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
I ran this LBV for years it is decent, designed for the AR15/M16 30 rd mags and if you don't need/want armor this would serve you very well.

If you want to put this type of rig together PM me and I can offer some insight into how to get the most out of it.
pm sent. Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Steel True Blade Straight

Thanked 1,100 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing this with us. The story about the guy in the business suit was very strange. Yes, you may have saved his life, who knows? Sounds like you have a nice "spread" too!
Mighta saved him...Who know's coulda been revenue-er. Thanks its a sweet BOL. Off subject but anyone can have one...It just takes over a century of family liking the same job. Five generations of kid's just buying the small neighbors spread, who passed away. I'm even doing my part, buying a tiny 130 acre piece that bordered our fence line. Ya figure if every generation of a family bought a little elbow room, no matter how small, eventually your place would get pretty big over the course of a century. Especially if its range and ag land. VA loan's help if there's a house on it.

Now back on subject...chest rigs, I think I need to do a little shopping.-WW
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
762 x 39 (AK)
Well the possibilities are certainly endless there....

....I have an AR in 5.56 plus an AK in 5.45 that can share the same rig:

I use an Eagle Universal:

I also keep my pistol and pistol mags in the same rig. Only downside is the front 2 pouches have no retention straps but that's easily modified...

Another plus is that the rig is snug around CM and you don't really feel the weight when fully loaded.

I've tossed around the idea of a drop-leg holster for the pistol but there is no concealing that. And I have short legs compared to my torso so it just get's in my way...

I ride it high to allow me to go prone without pain if need be. I just like how everything I need is within my "workspace" including the pistol. The extra side pouches I can fit extra survival gear which cuts down on weight for the backpack.

Nothing sits on the hips or lower as I like the freedom of movement.

But honestly, this is as "tacticool" as my gear gets. Chest rigs....great choice.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,208 Times in 827 Posts

I would advise- get what youre comfortable with. For me, its old school ALICE 782 "deuce gear''... Or the pre-molle LBV. Simple. Rugged. Cheap surplus... NO frills. Carries a battle load and does what you need it to do.

Carrying all your mags, pistol, butt pack, water, survival gear, 3 days food, etc is vital when you need to do it. LBV and Deuce gear are designed to go under a pack and over outer body armor.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sachson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
I would recommend an LBV with ONE mag pouch, first aid pouch, camelback or canteen pouch/es, butt pack for food, poncho, etc. That should be more than sufficient.

In real life, generally speaking, most armed encounters/engagements are sudden and unexpected, quick, violent, and ALOT of rounds are expended by both sides in a very short amount of time......then the smoke clears and one emerges the victor....

No survivalist is looking to get into ANY type of violent confontation but you need to have the mindset that you WILL....

.....and if that does happen......you are going to want/need way more than 1 magazine of ammo....no matter how much of a crackshot super sniper you are....

I will be rolling with 210 rounds of gametime. A major reason why I choose the smaller calibers and packed into polymer mags.

Again, it's not about "taking out a village".....it's about WINNING THE FIGHT if/when it comes your way. No survivalist is looking for trouble.

While I have fond memories of reciting my "one shot, one kill" mantra in the Corps, that's not reality. Train like that and you will lose. Multiple rounds on the bad guy until he falls and stops moving. That's why you carry more than one mag.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
Seriously, a full load out in Asheville? Gonna hit the veggie/tofu sandwich place?

Are you expecting a running gun battle in downtown Asheville or The Biltmore?
Well this particular area does not offer up much in the way of vegan hunting except for knocking over the local hippie marts. Besides, there never was much sport in harassing the Occupy goofballs, and now that they all got chased away/arrested, I need something better to do with my time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Displaced Arizonan

Quote:
I'm all for being prepared and getting my "house in order" before the Stuff Hits The Fan. I'm trying to spend money on only the things that will be needed after "it" all happens. I've been pondering for a long time about getting chest rigs for all my calibers of ammo/guns and to be honest about it, I just can't justify spending all that money on chest rigs. What is wrong with using carthart jacket/pockets or stuffing the mags in your back pocket or stuffing them in a backpack and going with that?
I think the chest rigs look cool and I agree they can be very helpful. What's your opinion on rigs? Do you use them? Do you think that its something that is needed. If son, then I'll go ahead a get a few (I have them already picked out if I decide).
Thanks for helping me sort through this. I'm justing being very picking with my spending.
JK.
WOW! Great thread. It's actually something I've pondered myself. I have 2 but I always felt they were kind of Mall Ninjaish. I hope it never gets bad enough to need them but if it does I intend to bee ready. The are kind of like mini backpacks for short hauls. I keep a bible in the inside pocket of each. Magazines, multi tool, map w/compass, flashlight, para-cord, carabiner, first-aid kit and all ready to go. I pray I never need to use them the way they were intended.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,966 Times in 8,898 Posts

I run an LBV-88 based rig, ALICE 782 based rig, plate carrier rig

Different gear for different uses, although now I pretty much run the PC rig for all environments. I maintain the ability to operate on land, water (dive/swim), or by air (parachute) if necessary.

Last edited by Doc_Shane; 04-28-2012 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: changed pics
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Gas! Gas! Gas!

Quote:

In real life, generally speaking, most armed encounters/engagements are sudden and unexpected, quick, violent, and ALOT of rounds are expended by both sides in a very short amount of time......then the smoke clears and one emerges the victor....

No survivalist is looking to get into ANY type of violent confontation but you need to have the mindset that you WILL....

.....and if that does happen......you are going to want/need way more than 1 magazine of ammo....no matter how much of a crackshot super sniper you are....

I will be rolling with 210 rounds of gametime. A major reason why I choose the smaller calibers and packed into polymer mags.

Again, it's not about "taking out a village".....it's about WINNING THE FIGHT if/when it comes your way. No survivalist is looking for trouble.

While I have fond memories of reciting my "one shot, one kill" mantra in the Corps, that's not reality. Train like that and you will lose. Multiple rounds on the bad guy until he falls and stops moving. That's why you carry more than one mag.
Sorry to be unclear. Did not say one mag... one mag pouch on an otherwise non-ammo related rig. Something that will carry necessary stuff other than just ammo.

I do see the point of carrying ammunition and all things necessary for the maintenance and proper function of your firearm, but cannot realistically see carrying more than maybe a few (as in 3) magazines.

Again, if you wake up in the morning planning to have a gunfight, then by all means drop all gear other than 25lbs of ammo and fight related stuff... but, for normal, post-SHTF patrolling or moving from place to place, why the hell would you need more than 90 rounds? Seriously?!

Now, all of you who bought chest rigs (except for those who might have acquired them in the service), don't try to justify it by saying you need over 200 rounds of pain to end a fight. That's just silly.

If a band of raiders attacks your home, sure, have 2,000 rounds ready to blow down range, but otherwise it's a hard argument. I know... one never knows for certain what one might face... hundreds of zombies, the entire Taliban, Russian army, etc. It pays to be prepared, but it doesn't always pay to be over-prepared. Most folks can't even handle a 50lb ruck, let alone an extra 50lbs of armor and ammo.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,757 Times in 3,952 Posts

Nice kit Doc.....The ALICE kit is almost identical to what we used...Now, i'd use 200rnd saw pouches that can hold 5-6 ar mags each, vs separate 3 rnd pouches, but basically the same set up...

By the time i got out, we did not have the newer kit options, certainly not ceramic plate carriers, etc...

Great examples of what, where and how....Thank you for sharing....
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Sorry to be unclear. Did not say one mag... one mag pouch on an otherwise non-ammo related rig. Something that will carry necessary stuff other than just ammo.
I carry plenty of other necessary things on the rig itself to include a pack. You plan on bringing a backpack along too I hope....

Quote:
I do see the point of carrying ammunition and all things necessary for the maintenance and proper function of your firearm, but cannot realistically see carrying more than maybe a few (as in 3) magazines.
Lol. OK. You'll be singing a different tune when pinned down by a group of gang-bangers and you're all by your lonesome....

I live in the NE as well and everyday I can go to certain parts of certain areas where there are whole packs of feral miscreants causing all sorts of criminal trouble and we aren't even in SHTF yet! Imagine when the po-po ain't there to scare those 15 rabid muts away......I'll take 210 over 90....yeah...my rig is designed for it...it's going to have it...

Quote:
Again, if you wake up in the morning planning to have a gunfight, then by all means drop all gear other than 25lbs of ammo and fight related stuff...
Or you can man up a bit, try out some pull-ups and push-ups.....standard combat loadout 210 rounds of something like 5.56 or 5.45 SHOULD NOT be burdensome on top of other gear especially when it's snuggly attached to your core with a rig....yes, I wake up EVERY morning planning on a gunfight. Survival is a lifestyle, bro. I have a wife and 2 small children to worry about. I can't afford NOT to be in a survival mindset 24/7. They mean way too much to me.

Quote:
but, for normal, post-SHTF patrolling or moving from place to place, why the hell would you need more than 90 rounds? Seriously?!
I see you live in New York.......nice little liberal mindset they worked ya into, eh? In an actual gunfight......ESPECIALLY in a SHTF scenario where baddies will be travelling unabated in larger groups......you'd be suprised how quick 90 rounds can go. Not to mention, what if you get cut off from your BOL for whatever reason....going to wish you brought some extra ammo.....definitely more than 90....are you a female? Are you 12?

Quote:
Now, all of you who bought chest rigs (except for those who might have acquired them in the service), don't try to justify it by saying you need over 200 rounds of pain to end a fight. That's just silly.
That's just reality. How's about instead of knocking you actually learn something from many folks with many experiences....

Quote:
If a band of raiders attacks your home, sure, have 2,000 rounds ready to blow down range, but otherwise it's a hard argument. I know... one never knows for certain what one might face... hundreds of zombies, the entire Taliban, Russian army, etc. It pays to be prepared, but it doesn't always pay to be over-prepared. Most folks can't even handle a 50lb ruck, let alone an extra 50lbs of armor and ammo.
Dude, 180-210 rounds is bare minimum. Seriously. You mention patrolling....210 rounds is STANDARD military patrol round count for an individual Marine/Soldier. There is nothing "extra" about 210 rounds. I wouldn't personally go more than that considering all the other stuff I need to hump....but never know if you're gonna be cut off...maybe permenantly.....why WOULDN'T you consider taking that into consideration?

Again, as I have mentioned many other threads...this is a major reason why I chose the smaller caliber rounds. Weight IS a definite issue. However, if you can't comfortably hump 210 rounds of 5.56 in PMAGS on a chest rig along with a pack and your rifle.......I would suggest you start getting in better shape.

Just my opinion based on my experiences both in and outside the Marines. If you want to stow away 5 rounds in a baggie stuffed where the sun don't shine and call it a day...then by all means do it. But don't come on here knocking folks who clearly know alot more than you when it comes to being properly prepped for gunfighting and self-defense....

"USARNG 10th Mtn Division "....National Guard? That explains ALOT...

I'm just kidding, bro. Semper Fi. Tsk, tsk....I thought someone like you would know better....I guess we just do things more hardcore in the CORPS....ah well. So where do you put your mags? Wait...probably velcro'd to your arms or something.....I know how much you Army fellas LOVE that velcro.....