Do we really need chest rigs? - Page 13 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chest Rigs/Plate Carriers RJ1670 Military Weapons Forum 307 04-18-2019 12:43 PM
Are Condor chest rigs any good? jodier7 Reviews and questions 11 08-13-2013 08:08 AM
Chest rigs may compound wounds. WILL Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 104 07-20-2013 11:53 PM
Tactical Chest Rigs HELP albertan Military Weapons Forum 19 11-09-2012 12:43 AM
Are chest rigs/mag carriers essential? duke nukem Firearms General Discussion 55 11-03-2012 03:45 PM
Where to keep chest rigs? JoeKan Firearms General Discussion 16 06-24-2012 07:58 PM
chest rigs wader12 Firearms General Discussion 9 03-11-2012 01:42 PM
M1A Chest rigs? JoeKan Firearms General Discussion 4 01-18-2012 01:42 PM
Chest Rigs DarkBlue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-25-2011 09:25 AM
Chest Rigs, Your Ideas?? DarkBlue Reviews and questions 17 03-24-2011 02:41 PM

Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Gunner

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon734 View Post
Very easy to toss in your car too. I consider it a consolidation of some vital equipment even if I don't intend to wear it.
That is true too, I liked Joe Nobody's books and how they referred to chest rigs. Better to set it up for prepping than war. saves on weight and unnecessary equipment. Even if you don't want it to carry weapons stuff you can make a great bush kit or survival rig for it. Thanks to the proliferation of molle you can any kind of pouch you think you need and go from there to include a pouch for water bladders or canteens. With that you can go a long way.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Hiker

I use a chest rig sometimes when I'm logging in rougher terrain, handy to have a spare chain and some tools, air horn, and a small first aid kit since my chainsaw pants don't have pockets. And I also use them to hold my pants up since they're kinda heavy for a belt alone.

So there's your justification ;-)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
From what I'm learning the plate carrier/body armor, vest is your "First Line" gear, it is supposed to support your rifle/carbine.

I happen to own a molle belt/battle belt for my pistol classes and matches...apparently this is called "2nd line" gear. This is to support your pistol. I do not plan on putting any rifle mags on the belt (or any pistol mags on the plate carrier for that matter.)

I'm considering a higher riding plate carrier for my first line stuff, but it would have to ride high enough for me to still wear the battle belt. The Pig plate carrier has some great reviews; although it is expensive.
They have things called warbelts
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/28...d.html&page=28
I like the concept of them. Most of them consist of mag carriers for your pistol, your pistol/holster, basic FAK, dump pouch, and maybe 2 or 3 tacos for your rifle. However, it looks like you'll be dropping around $200+ for them depending on how much gear you want to put on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone star defender View Post
The Walking Dead has the answer. None of the survivors wear anything tactical except for a couple of thigh rigs. They do have some riot gear but they only wear that in the event of an incoming siege. The only people that wore anything tactical were the douches at Woodbury and they are dead. It seems like the producers did some pretty good research into WROL scenarios.

As a real life zombie apocalypse scenario, would a tactical vest be prudent if you were stuck in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina? Nope. You'd either be killed by cops or mobbed.

Always be the grey man.
Same producers who use broomstick rifles and limp wrist revolvers that don't seem to run out of ammo. Don't forget 500 yard head shots from the hip. Or last weeks episode where they whipped out full auto m4 and take out the horde with one magazine...

I don't take much of what they do on the show seriously. If my job was to stand in the guard tower and shoot intruders/zombies you'd see me with a simple rig. Maybe not if I had one of those snazzy Hollywood infinite "clips"
The Following User Says Thank You to the cow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cow View Post
Same producers who use broomstick rifles and limp wrist revolvers that don't seem to run out of ammo. Don't forget 500 yard head shots from the hip. Or last weeks episode where they whipped out full auto m4 and take out the horde with one magazine...

I don't take much of what they do on the show seriously. If my job was to stand in the guard tower and shoot intruders/zombies you'd see me with a simple rig. Maybe not if I had one of those snazzy Hollywood infinite "clips"
Dont be hating on The Walking Dead. It is pretty accurate. They cant show all the reloads. We do have to fill in the blanks sometimes.

In regards to the M4 single magazine theory, you must have turned your head because the key part of that scene was Carl tossing Rick a fresh mag.

But this is for another thread.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,153 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone star defender View Post
Dont be hating on The Walking Dead. It is pretty accurate.
It's fairly accurate for a good reference on what NOT to do when the end of the world comes.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Hunter

Quote:
It's fairly accurate for a good reference on what NOT to do when the end of the world comes.
True. You have to be more strict with your kids. CARL! GET IN THE HOUSE!!!!!
Oh and Glocks have thumb safeties...

I'll admit the governors compound had what you were supposed to do if a community was to come back
Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM
PERMANENTLY REDACTED

Thanked 1,654 Times in 665 Posts

When things go bump in the night...
Living in the middle of the dark and scarey woods, where 911 takes.. well lets say a long time to get a response, it is I who must waddle around and "check on things"...
Lessons learned
1. Flops don't get it, especially if you happen to step in it!
Corrective action...well broken in Romeo's.
2. Bathrobes turn you into the neighborhood flasher.
Corrective action...Free Willy or sweats.
3. Where the "H" is everything???
Corrective action...A chest rig (vest) hanging on wall with: 1911, 3 spare mags.
Radio, flashlight, 3 MBR mags, pocket full of 12 ga.
So yea, I kinda like my chest rig for grab and go.

And yes, the sweats are optional!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,241 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Hate to jump a thread but I have to say I like how Carl can't have his gun, but they leave the guns in laundry carts by a fence. What not to do is about right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBOOMSTICKx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBUFO View Post
When things go bump in the night...
Living in the middle of the dark and scarey woods, where 911 takes.. well lets say a long time to get a response, it is I who must waddle around and "check on things"...
Lessons learned
1. Flops don't get it, especially if you happen to step in it!
Corrective action...well broken in Romeo's.
2. Bathrobes turn you into the neighborhood flasher.
Corrective action...Free Willy or sweats.
3. Where the "H" is everything???
Corrective action...A chest rig (vest) hanging on wall with: 1911, 3 spare mags.
Radio, flashlight, 3 MBR mags, pocket full of 12 ga.
So yea, I kinda like my chest rig for grab and go.

And yes, the sweats are optional!
Haha that got me. Don't forget that maglights always short out as soon as you see somethin scary.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Survivalist

I found this
Amazon (Thumbnails) cover
Amazon (Thumbnails)It has a hydration pouch in the back
Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,080 Posts

I like the vests as they can carry everything. I don't like how they stand out. How much ammo do you really need? I figure more then 3 magazines more won't help because I'm simply not hitting the target or so out numbered it doesn't matter.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Prepared

I use a simple modified Dutch LBV - modified it with lighter, smaller M1967 H harness shoulder straps instead of the big clunky ones. I'm running double USMC Coyote Brown M4 pouches, one of which carries my sidearm.

That being said, I have several used FLCs I got cheap and plan to set up for various weapons I have, so that if TSHTF I could simply choose, or hand them out to friends. Being able to clip my 1911 with paddle holster on my waist, grab the shotgun and throw a vest on seems convenient.

If you set them up right (ie: don't load them up with every damn piece of gear people SAY you need) you can drive in them comfortably - something to think about if bugging out. An FLC set up correctly would also conceal well under a coat or jacket. Good, light setup for a civilian 'grab 'n go' requirement. For long-term carry (Walking across the country) I would prefer the aforementioned LBV setup myself. Used FLCs are cheap - I bought 4 'repair needed' CB ones for $32 or so shipped off ebay.

A very good point was made about simply using them to carry gear such as food and water, rather than ammo. I plan to set one up this way for a long backpack trip I want to do next year, in an area where water could be problematic. I am thinking about trying to tie the FLC directly to the pack, but likely won't. It should offset the weight in the back somewhat, and allow me to carry at least another two gallons of water if I do it right. Gonna be a heavy mofo, even carrying not much more than water, freeze-dried food, a knife and a bivy.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Marine Veteran

Quote:
Do we need expensive chest rigs?
No.

Through most of my time in the Marine Corps, all we had was an Y-harness connected to a pistol belt with 2 mag pouches, a canteen, and (sometimes) a butt pack. We called it a war belt.

Pretty much this...

I trained with (for years) and deployed with this set up. It's simple, cheap, and it works.

Alice gear FTW.

***BTW, I stole this pic from the internet. Props to the owner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corndog_The_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer-G View Post
I found this
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Modular...ef=pd_sbs_sg_1
It has a hydration pouch in the back
Not to be snobbish I've never been a fan of condor gear. They use pretty decent materials but their stitching is much to be desired (I've owned a few products from them that have fallen on ill-fate fairly fast)
Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,042 Times in 4,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog_The_Ninja View Post
No.

Through most of my time in the Marine Corps, all we had was an Y-harness connected to a pistol belt with 2 mag pouches, a canteen, and (sometimes) a butt pack. We called it a war belt.

Pretty much this...

I trained with (for years) and deployed with this set up. It's simple, cheap, and it works.

Alice gear FTW.

***BTW, I stole this pic from the internet. Props to the owner.
We called that LBE or TA-50 gear in the Army.

I find vests and chest rigs to be far more comfortable - no buckles digging into your back or getting hooked on things.

I do still have a set of LBE and wouldn't mind having a couple more sets around to hand out on "The Day."
Old 11-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
We called that LBE or TA-50 gear in the Army.

I find vests and chest rigs to be far more comfortable - no buckles digging into your back or getting hooked on things.

I do still have a set of LBE and wouldn't mind having a couple more sets around to hand out on "The Day."
ALICE is a evil torture device that won't let you down.
If it does, its easily fixed with some duct tape. Keeps my medium pack running!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the cow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Prepared

I really don't care what other people think I "need". If that were the case I wouldn't have an AR-15 and I'd have one can of beans in the pantry.

I picked up a very nice chest rig/plate carrier made by Point Blank body Armor at a yard sale for $5. Will I ever need it? I hope not. But it sure as hell doesn't hurt anything by sitting in my closet. Eventually I will get some ceramic plates for it.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
swamp rat

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer-G View Post
I found this
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Modular...ef=pd_sbs_sg_1
It has a hydration pouch in the back
I have very similar rig. I removed the molle' patch thing in the front. I carry 2 water bottle carriers, a small butt pack another molle' pouch on the back with an FAK and 2 others that hold misc stuff. It distributes weight real well and is very comfortable especially in our summer heat. I have attached a duty belt through loops that I sewed into the bottom edge of the rig. It holds machete-knife and some other gear. It is great for working through the swamps. Wouldn't wear it in suburbia because I don't go to suburbia and it would definitely stand out. But under a combat possible scenario I wouldn't hesitate. Its very convenient.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,056 Posts

What I need and what I want are two very different things. I have them because they are useful and I happen to like being as prepared as I can be for the worst case scenario. I thought that was why we were all here.