I have control issues

Thanked 9,046 Times in 3,495 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
It was reported a month ago that they were going to kill and discard 2 million chickens in Delaware and Maryland. I assume it has happened by now.

The reason given was a lack of workers to process the chickens. I am not a chicken rancher, but this seems absurd. Why not just keep the chickens alive another month and sell them to be processed then?
You obviously don't understand the KIND of chickens that are raised for meat processing. They CANT'T keep them alive another month because the chickens are a hybrid meatbird, that have PHENOMENAL growth rate, but the "tradedeoff" is there is a serious downside...they mature out at between 6-8 weeks old, which is when they are processed. Overshoot that 6-8 week mark (or even BEFORE the 8 week mark) they tend to drop dead on their own. Their hearts and blood vessels can't keep up with the muscle development, so they tend to die of heart attacks. They are ALSO prone to breaking their legs, because the bones can't hold up under the weight.

So, keeping them alive another month or two is NOT going to happen. The birds will die on their own if not culled.

Last edited by Aceoky; 06-03-2020 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: fix quote
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 09:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,404 Times in 1,641 Posts

Agree with IceFire's post. I think the average is 52 days for butcher. The amount of feed to keep 2 million birds alive for a month would be tremendous. Some might make it but there would be losses. I can usually go 12 weeks with my birds but feed has to be restricted. When they outgrow their respiratory system is is called ascites. It is fluid around the heart which kills. If a bird is butchered commercially with it, it is condemned meat.

As pointed out, there is a time frame to rotate birds. There is a chick hatchery nearby and they ship chicks by the tractor trailir load. All meat birds. On schedules. Throw a wrench in that schedule and it will mess up the whole process.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,228 Times in 23,853 Posts

I had no idea chickens were so optimized that they can't live another month.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with all the money involved. It is a wonder chickens don't shoot laser beams out of their eyes by now to kill predatory weasels etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 07:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,404 Times in 1,641 Posts

Many of the commercial meat birds have, or did have, a patent on the breeding. The feed conversion ratio used to be 3:1, working down to 2:1. The amount of feed, light and floor space is tightly regulated to allow maximum growth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Quote:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with all the money involved. It is a wonder chickens don't shoot laser beams out of their eyes by now to kill predatory weasels etc.
Unless you raise chickens yourself, or are involved in the "industry", most people DON'T have any clue of what is involved in the raising/processing of "commercial" birds, so your question was quite understandable. You just needed to be educated as to the realities of the situation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 03:26 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,807 Times in 2,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoLimaDelta View Post
Some of us knew how “meat farming” worked a lot longer than a year ago. Nothing much will change.
I decided this is the year I'm taking chicken raising off my bucket list.

Apparently a lot of other folks made the same decision, because first I found that egg incubators were in short supply, then I found that egg turners -- an essential component of home made incubators -- were also in short supply.

So that's definitely a change. People taking responsibility for their own meat and eggs?

Hmm... Maybe not all Americans think eggs come from cartons...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 04:06 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paravani View Post

Apparently a lot of other folks made the same decision, because first I found that egg incubators were in short supply, then I found that egg turners -- an essential component of home made incubators -- were also in short supply.

So that's definitely a change. People taking responsibility for their own meat and eggs?

Hmm... Maybe not all Americans think eggs come from cartons...
I've had my own chickens for several years. Rather than the "meat birds" that are on such a tight timetable, I have "heritage" breeds...slower growth, and can provide BOTH meat and eggs, but with a much slower growth than the "Cornish rock" cross birds. I accidentally got a couple of "meat birds" a couple of years ago (they were mislabeled) and got one butchered at 6 weeks. The second one died on it's own a few days later. Had been planning on butchering the following weekend, but it croaked before turning 7 weeks old.

I also have turkeys, and hatch out my own eggs to replenish my flock. Haven't had much issue finding incubators/egg turners...I added 2 additional incubators, and one additional egg turner (you can usually find incubators with or without the turners - without are less expensive). Oh, and about hatching out eggs? Figure on about a 10% hatch rate...some of the eggs won't be fertile to start with, and many die at some point in development. Even at that, some chicks don't survive the hatch (too weak) and some die within the first 24-48 hours. I just pitched a bunch of infertile/dead eggs this morning, along with two turkey babies (actually called poults) that made it out of the shell, but died within about 12 hours

A lot more people DO seem to be going for raising their own, though...the hatcheries have been unable to keep up with demand, and the local farm/ranch stores haven't been able to get as many chicks this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,426 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:

I was talking about the way Tyson, Smithfield, etc. farmed chickens and hogs not backyard growers.

Our local feed store had incubators and turners in stock Monday.

(I don’t know what I did to mess up the quote on Paravani’s post. It was not intentional.)

Last edited by Aceoky; 06-03-2020 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: fix quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,724 Times in 2,178 Posts

Quote:
I've had my own chickens for several years. Rather than the "meat birds" that are on such a tight timetable, I have "heritage" breeds...slower growth, and can provide BOTH meat and eggs, but with a much slower growth
IMO the "best" way to go in the long run (and survival thinking) I prefer them over the meat & egg bird breeds by far anyway. We have (among several others) Sapphire Gems, Buff Orpingtons , easter eggers,(blue & green egg shells-also blue inside the shell unlike brown eggs which are white inside) Black Copper Marans, (really nice dark brown eggs) Welsummers, (pretty speckled brown eggs)
Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 AM
Target Shooter

Default Natural incubator

I've had success with my incubator it's called a mother hen! I've never used an incubator. Much easier to let the hen hatch the eggs and look after the chicks. I once had a hen who disappeared and I assumed that the fox had taken her, but a few weeks later she reappeared with 17 chickens. Now that i'm living in the town, I can't keep a rooster and my Isa Browns don't go broody. I'd love to have a broody hen with little chicks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosebud For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 12:35 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,724 Times in 2,178 Posts

When they do as intended it's great, when they don't not so much, we've had them sit for 2 weeks + then just stop, never had an incubator do that.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:29 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,785 Times in 863 Posts

I would have to set up a separate nursery coop for a setting hen. As long as I have electricity and working incubators, this is less complicated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 09:06 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
When they do as intended it's great, when they don't not so much, we've had them sit for 2 weeks + then just stop, never had an incubator do that.
Yep. I recently had FOUR hens go broody, and sitting on clutches of eggs. Between the four of them, they hatched out....NONE. I've been hatching out chicks and turkey poults in incubators, though, and as the babies get feathered out, they get moved out into the coop with the girls that HAD been broody. Guess what...the babies got "adopted" by the hens.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
.. unless the power goes out! Yes I've had hens get off the nest too early too, but it's often because they've been disturbed or something is not right. Whenever I've had a good broody hen, I let her do as she pleases. If there is an extended power outage, a broody will be very handy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosebud For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 09:51 PM
Target Shooter

Sorry for the thread drift above.
Does anyone know if chickens anywhere have been known to catch Covid? what are the symptoms?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosebud For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 10:02 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,785 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Sorry for the thread drift above.
Does anyone know if chickens anywhere have been known to catch Covid? what are the symptoms?
From what I've read, only mammals catch it so far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 10:57 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,807 Times in 2,151 Posts

Quote:
IMO the "best" way to go in the long run (and survival thinking) I prefer them over the meat & egg bird breeds by far anyway. We have (among several others) Sapphire Gems, Buff Orpingtons , easter eggers,(blue & green egg shells-also blue inside the shell unlike brown eggs which are white inside) Black Copper Marans, (really nice dark brown eggs) Welsummers, (pretty speckled brown eggs)
I've been enjoying the process... Learning about chickens, the different breeds, their sizes and personalities.

The breeds I've chosen to start are large Sussex and some dual purpose heritage breeds that are also known for being very gentle. I'm a complete newbie, so it's important that my chickens be very easy going. No way do I want to deal with cranky attack chickens!

I live in the city, so it isn't a bad thing if only a few eggs hatch. But I'm very OCD about checking the temperature and humidity in my incubators and making sure the monitors are properly calibrated. So there is a distinct possibility that half or more of my eggs may hatch.

If that happens, I'm going to be up to my armpits in chickens!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 12:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 73,281 Times in 22,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
From what I've read, only mammals catch it so far.
"So far as we know"

But since birds can and do die of coronary family viruses my guess is that there's a 99% chance they can catch at least one strain of covid 19
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I've been enjoying the process... Learning about chickens, the different breeds, their sizes and personalities.

The breeds I've chosen to start are large Sussex and some dual purpose heritage breeds that are also known for being very gentle. I'm a complete newbie, so it's important that my chickens be very easy going. No way do I want to deal with cranky attack chickens!

I live in the city, so it isn't a bad thing if only a few eggs hatch. But I'm very OCD about checking the temperature and humidity in my incubators and making sure the monitors are properly calibrated. So there is a distinct possibility that half or more of my eggs may hatch.

If that happens, I'm going to be up to my armpits in chickens!
Buff Orpingtons are a good starter chicken. Mellow disposition, (especially if you handle them from the time they're chicks), good size so they make a nice meat bird as well as a decent layer, and if you're interested in hatching chicks, more likely to go "broody" than many other breeds (even my other heritage breeds don't go broody, but the buffs do.) The Buffs are EXCELLENT mothers.

If you're looking for egg-laying MACHINES, then Rhode Island Reds will fill that ticket, BUT they aren't as docile as many of the others, more "flighty", and the roos can be downright MEAN.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 35,709 Times in 10,141 Posts

Quote:

Here is what you get when you order meat chickens. They are ugly as hell, nasty as hell. I don't want to have these things. They look like they grow out of their skins. They are prone to breaking their legs if they grow too fast, they can have heart attacks, strokes.

Here is just 1 homestead that had them.

For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post: