CityKitty's 2015 - 2020 garden - Page 20 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IceFire's Farm and Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 566 07-05-2020 10:43 PM
dealfinder500's Thread dealfinder500 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1845 06-17-2020 08:17 PM
Two Bits 2015 Garden two bits Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 127 03-22-2016 09:57 AM
H0ll0P01NTs Pacific NW Garden Thread 2015 H0ll0P01NT Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 12-11-2015 08:27 PM
vigilant20's 2015 garden / urban homestead vigilant20 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 54 12-03-2015 03:56 PM
How does you garden grow 2015 kelee877 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 80 11-15-2015 01:38 PM
Darwath's 2015 Garden Lord Darwath Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 44 08-28-2015 11:13 AM
My 2015 Container Vegetable Garden: Let's Try This Again! The Shadow Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 05-01-2015 04:32 PM
CityKitty's 2014 garden citykittyatheart Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 96 04-13-2015 08:27 AM
CityKitty's 2013 Garden Thread citykittyatheart Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 65 10-21-2013 08:52 AM

Old 06-03-2020, 04:09 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 6,323 Times in 2,401 Posts

Advertise Here

I love it! A trip down memory lane. And yes, I do remember the Contraption. That might have been about the time I came on board here. Do I remember correctly that it turned out to be quite a jungle?

It's always fun to see how things have progressed as we work our way through ideas we've had, stuff we've read about and tried and what worked/what didn't. Then we can pat ourselves on the back for successes or laugh at those "what was I thinking" disasters!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,521 Times in 1,142 Posts

Indeed it did! The tomatoes grew into their usual jungle and I had to prop up the Contraption so it wouldn’t fall apart. It was just some wood & plastic, no bigger around than my finger. By the time I realized my mistake it was too late in the season to put up a proper trellis. Man that was crazy! Garden and learn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 11:14 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanked 12,265 Times in 2,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
While I'm off dreaming of fairies and unicorns, you're noting direction and distance.
Reminds me of the lyrics to the Jimi Hendrix song "Little Wing".
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 11:19 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
I love it! A trip down memory lane. And yes, I do remember the Contraption.
I've only been here about 1.5 years... what exactly was "The Contraption"?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanks for posting all the retro gardening pics!

I have about 10 years worth myself, so maybe I will share some on my own Gardening thread at some point.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettTheOkie View Post
I've only been here about 1.5 years... what exactly was "The Contraption"?
This was the Contraption: my first attempt at a tomato trellis. I made it out of wood and plastic, with the wood being about the diameter of one finger and pretty soft. The plastic was a bit thinner even. I attached the two together and ran string down for the tomatoes.

It didn't take long before it started sagging like a swayback horse, and I had to prop it up with boards in order to keep it from falling apart.

So much for tacticool prepper! I bought a better trellis. I've used it every year since then and it hasn't even rusted!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 11:26 AM
Free of the Wilderness

Just goes to show how much knowledge and experience can be gained, even from tending a small-ish garden.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 10:27 AM
Hunter

Just a quick update this morning. My squash are setting fruit already! They're not even big enough to stake but they're breeding. Yay! Being mindful of my recent reading on inadequate pollination, I found an old male flower and made with the paintbrush. It would be helpful if both male and female flowers would appear at the same time but that's just too easy.

For fun, my Drosera spathulata is blooming. How pretty! Again, the flower stalk is 'way above the main plant, theorized as a gift to the pollinator. My plants have been eating, which is good. It'll be interesting to see how many insects they take when the weather is really hot and insects are plentiful.

Another rainy day in God's country, but at least it's cooling down for a few days. Sunday will be perfect weeding weather. I attended a great webinar by Selco last night on the topic of civil unrest, most timely and well worth what I paid for it. The rumored protest this weekend 1/2 mile from my house is indeed on, and I just hope they stay peaceful. I of course, plan to stay home. I'd rather be bored by laundry than in a sudden fight for my life.

Happy gardening!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Hunter

It's another day on freelancer vacay, so what does that mean? Work on everything else of course! I taught three classes to a total of four kids this past weekend, and received five star reviews all around. This is a great start! I've figured out that I'll need to teach 90 kids per week in order to replace my current indexing income; not impossible but it'll take time to build up. This is why we start these new business things Before we get desperate. It's not like self-employed people can draw UEI, and I'm still too young to claim SS. So work for a living it is. I'll take that $28 thank you kindly.

Here's something pretty! This is an asparagus flower, from my Purple Passion bed of course. I have no clue why seven of ten crowns came back in this bed, but not one has come up in the Jersey Giant bed. I treated them both the same: weeded and watered, took not one spear, cried and prayed over them. If I don't see some JG soon I might let the clover take over for the season. Along with the beans it'll rehab the bed while I consider other options. Very frustrating though.

Also gorgeous: my older strawberry bed. It's just loaded! I had a good haul last year and I think this year will be better.

Purple kohlrabi is standing proud. Now just to figure out what to do with it! I've had baked kohlrabi a few times and it does freeze, so I have options.

Speaking of frustrating! I know what this is and I don't like it. This is the new strawberry bed, which has been doused in copper fungicide. Last year this leaf spot cost me 90% of my tomato crop, and I'm not messing around with it this year. The tomatoes got a good spray too, just for good measure, since the beds are close together and the fungus has obviously spread. Phooey.

Blackberries are doing well. I keep finding strays in the old bed and moving them as gently as possible. This is what happens when roots are too deep to dig out completely, I suspect.

Here's a wide angle view of the large bed, with tomatoes, oregano, and kohlrabi. I'll have to start tying the tomatoes to the trellis soon, probably next weekend. I'm already cutting oregano to keep it from crowding out my one cherry tomato.

I didn't take any pictures of the deck this time around. Everything is coming up nicely. Squash is growing and I've seen one pumpkin flower so far; there are plenty more on the vine where that came from. We're supposed to get some serious rain ourselves tomorrow into Wednesday courtesy of TS Cristobal; it's just as well that I'm not shooting pistol league this year because the weather the last two weeks, since it started up late, has been horrible. Maybe it's God's way of validating my decision, who knows? I just don't have the energy between the garden and building a new business while working the regular one. Besides, with the cost of ammo these days, I'd just as soon save what I have! Seriously. 9mm at $0.30/rnd?? Are you kidding me? I don't think it was that bad in 2012! Of course that's if you could find it in 2012. .22lr was more rare than a rainbow colored unicorn. Anyway.

Happy gardening!
Old 06-08-2020, 06:55 PM
gardener & news junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
Purple kohlrabi is standing proud. Now just to figure out what to do with it! I've had baked kohlrabi a few times and it does freeze, so I have options.
Have you ever tried grating it and making a slaw out of it? We just did that with turnips for the first time and it was wonderfully refreshing. 5th Gear used the large holes on the box grater and that made more like thin ribbons than match sticks. Add some mayo, chopped green onions, celery and/or green pepper and a squirt of lemon juice. Whatever you like. Good stuff!

Sure hope you get a handle on that leaf spot!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 07:48 PM
gardener & news junkie

Was just looking up something else and ran across this. Scroll down to Septoria and see if it matches your leaf spot.

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden....20Problems.pdf
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 08:15 PM
Hunter

It is absolutely Septoria. I had it last year on my tomatoes. The beds are close together so I’m not surprised that it migrated. The copper fungicide claims to control it so we’ll see. Like I said, I’m not messing around this year. KILL!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:06 AM
Hunter

It's a cold, dark, stormy day up here! We got a dose from TS Cristobal over the last few days; with this cool weather on top of it, rest assured I'll be spraying my beds for leaf spot most generously.

Just a very quick update today. I have scapes! I'm always happy to see those. They're a nice summer treat that lets me know garlic will be ready for digging soon.

And my new plum tree is showing leaf sign! There's actual green coming out of those buds!

I'll be sure to take some pictures of my deck, that's starting to grow gangbusters now. Squashes and pumpkins have already set some fruit, and I've seen another female flower on the pumpkin. Since I've read that these two will cross pollinate to a degree with good results, I'm giving that a try if there's no male flower ready when the female opens. It's also interesting to see the different growth habits in my strawberry beds. The Old North Sea is the standard low to the ground habit, whereas the Alpine white soul is a much more bush-like habit. I'm having to keep a sharp eye on flowers in that bed so I can differentiate between the desired strawberries and the undesirable cousin that looks so similar and tastes so bad! Strawberry flowers are, of course, white and yellow. Potentilla flowers are solid yellow and it's considered an invasive weed.

See you later! And happy gardening.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:19 AM
Hunter

Good morning,

I was out in the yard last night taking care of things, and took a look in the white strawberry bed. I was right to keep an eye out too, especially with that strange un-strawberry-like growth habit. The Pretender has bloomed and can lie no longer! Time for a bit of unscheduled weeding. That bed and my tomatoes also got another good dose of fungicide, since I could see some leaf spot. KILL!

Now to the promised pictures of my deck. As I said yesterday, things are going gangbusters. I've been eating some arugula and spinach to thin them out so they don't shade out the carrots. The watermelons are the yellow, some of which are growing faster than others. All were started at the same time and are the same variety.

VegTrug from the other end. Pumpkins, also started at the same time. growing at two different paces. Lots of flowers, a couple of them female. I pollinated one female with squash pollen yesterday and it seems to have set; I added some pumpkin pollen later when a male flower opened. We'll see how it turns out.

Potatoes are going nuts, and starting to flower. I've run a string to help keep them upright.

Beans on the side, starting to grow up the string.

Beans and peas. Since kidneys are a bush type, they won't need a huge trellis. They will benefit though, and picking beans is easier this way. The peas are using the chicken wire. I'll have to trim the potatoes a bit to keep them from shading the peas.

Cucumbers and yellow squash, happily co-habitating. The cukes are just starting to flower and since I've only got two vines, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The squash has already started setting fruit. Given the number of flowers on all of them, I can see a freezer full of squash this year. This is far better than an empty belly. All have been staked, tied, and pruned.

Interesting growth habit on this stuff. It almost doesn't look like a vine, yet it is. This is zucchini, one of two seeds from the ancient seed stash that actually germinated.

I took a look at the new plum this morning and there is definite leaf sign! That's so good to see; I've been worried that the cool weather since I planted in April might have killed it. As it is, the tree might grow stunted and stay that way. I'll have to keep an eye on it but at least the tree is growing. I wonder if it'll bloom this year? I can't see there being enough time for any fruit to mature though.

And with that, it's time to run. Always something to be done!

Happy gardening.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 12:31 PM
gardener & news junkie

That's a good variety of stuff you have growing on your deck! They're coming along nicely. Is that a smallish type watermelon or one that is gonna scamper?
Old 06-13-2020, 05:14 PM
Hunter

I believe you're looking at a zucchini? None of my melons have formed flowers yet, let alone set any fruit. They're pretty slow.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:10 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Great looking pics, as always! I really do enjoy seeing what other people are doing with their gardens.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:19 PM
Hunter

TV is boring so why not a garden update? A funny thing happened while weeding my white strawberry bed, an insight really, so why not share?

As you all know, I've been having leaf spot problems in that bed. Now different organisms cause leaf spot on different plants; my problem is Septoria, on tomatoes. The fungus spread to my white strawberry bed, so in addition to some weeding and spraying, I did some research. It seems that Septoria doesn't really like strawberries. The organism that causes the most common leaf spot on strawberry is Mycospharella fragariae, a leaf spot in purple rather than yellow. Here's an article and I think you'll agree, my leaf spot looks nothing like this one.

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/arti...of-strawberry/

So it's weeding day anyway, and I dive in and weed. Since I know the Pretender, Potentilla, is in there I mercilessly weed it out and what is this? All of the Septoria I'm seeing is actually on the Potentilla! I had noticed that the other strawberry bed showed no sign of Septoria, and both beds are two feet away from the tomato bed. We've had storms enough to spread fungi far & wide so logically, if Septoria was attacking my strawberries it should be in both beds, right? But it's only in one bed, and only on the mock strawberry. I view this as a very good sign, and ripped the Pretender out root and branch, as much as I could find. I also gave a spray of the fungicide for good measure and today, that bed looks much healthier! It's loaded with berries too, as much as a second year bed gets. I'll certainly be keeping a sharp eye, but this is a great development. I'm looking forward to making stuff with both berries mixed.

Red strawberry bed is loaded too. I almost feel guilty about ordering a flat from my CSA. Almost. Can't have too many strawberries, really.

In more frustrating news, my asparagus beds, side by side. I'm going to let the beans and clover take over the Jersey Giant bed. They'll amend the soil and who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised next year. I may dig down a bit to see if the other crowns in that bed look like this one. Oh well. Since asparagus is a high purine food that will aggravate my gout, maybe one bed is enough.

Moving on to the new plantings, the blackberry seems to be taking to its new home just fine. Some canes are growing better than others but as long as there's root in that ground, I have faith in my eventual hedge. In fact I'm still finding (and attempting to transplant) growth from the old spot. It's really challenging to dig out such deep roots and the smaller plants don't always transplant well but as I've said, there's root there. I'm learning that where there's root, there's blackberry. Eventually.

Ditto the bloody dock, happy as a plant can be.

One onion patch has survived. That's one tough set of onions!

Continued--
Old 06-15-2020, 09:20 PM
Hunter

Continued--

I'm not sure what happened to the St John's wort. We've had a few nights in the low 40s, which I believe is a bit colder than it likes. It's a perennial herb though. I would have thought it tougher than this! Go figure. That's the second perennial flower that has hated that area and died too. I'll have to give this matter more thought, and perhaps direct seed some bee balm.

Another smaller surviving onion patch, but of more interest is the comfrey. That plant seems to just fade out mid-summer. I cut it down and it'll grow back, but for some reason it dies back around now. Bizarre.

The other rehabilitation: the half circle I moved the blackberry from. The rose is coming back, although I'm having to beat back the lily and the comfrey. In fact I dug up some of that comfrey root today. No worries. It'll come back. I do like the salve I make from it (for my back) but if I don't keep on top of it, it'll take over the entire garden. I have a volunteer by my big raised bed too that I have to keep cutting back. It was suggested to me to dead head the flowers before they seed. I plan to give that a try.

Another very prolific volunteer is my oregano. Since I had to cut it back to keep it from shading the cherry tomato, I might as well dry and store it. One less thing I'll need to buy.

And go figure! I have three cucumber vines: two Bush Champion and one Pickle Bush. And as far as I can tell, all three are males. This will make cucumbers a bit of a challenge. I've read that they're too different to cross pollinate with squash so I might pull the cukes. I'm going to give the small one more opportunity to develop and hope I'm wrong about it being male. Ugh. Seriously, what are the chances that all three of my vines are one gender??

Weekends are indeed busy at the cat house! I've taught a few classes on Outschool, enough to generate my first payout: a whopping $28! In order to replace my indexing income I need to teach 100 kids per week @ $10/kid, so I've a ways to go. I'm being patient with the 1-2 kids per class until I build up a following, and get a feel for how to schedule the half dozen classes I'm offering. And it should be interesting to see how this goes come Fall, when the schools reopen under the new CDC guidelines. Honestly, if I had a kid in public school I'd pull them out at this point. Google it, you'll see. I've seen prisons with less restrictive policies! And oh yeah, just try to keep a mask on a four-five year old or a teenager, and tell them they must sit at their desks for eight hours. No lunchroom, no recess. Ha. I've read that teachers are leaving the profession in droves, and I believe it.

Anyway, things seem to be a bit calmer around here. I'm able to get groceries delivered next day again, although the store has jacked the price of cat-associated items to the point that Chewy is a lot cheaper. Some of that is just the delivery price; cat litter in the store was $14.50 for a 35 lb bucket of Tidy Cat, but $16.69 delivered. Sheesh. It's $13.91 on Chewy. I may be a bit math challenged but I can count my money, kids.

Happy gardening!
Old 06-16-2020, 08:23 AM
gardener & news junkie

A great report, as always!

How long have your cukes been flowering? I read somewhere that, at least on squash, the male blossoms arrive a long time before the female blooms. Since cukes are cousins, I wonder if thatís the case with these two particular varieties. Somehow it seems a good while after flowering begins before I see baby cukes starting. I have a cuke just starting to climb a trellis so Iíll pay attention to blossoms when it starts blooming.

Glad you got the strawberry/potentilla/septoria thing sorted out!

I know from having done raspberries before that those spread quickly via stolons. Same with blackberries or just deep roots?

School will be a challenge come fall. I donít know about our districtís plans but hopefully they wonít be as draconian. It seems our Governor sees things a bit differently than yours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post: