Can one survive without smartphone in todays world as a civilian? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-21-2020, 02:02 PM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 2,309 Times in 886 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchavasu View Post
A turned off cell phone cannot be tracked as it does not ping any towers. I have been involved in cases where we are trying to get cell phone locations and have not been able to get a location for a week when the phone was turned off. And if it is being tracked by cell towers alone it is generally a much larger area then you describe, even going through the cell provider.
You may be correct. Like I said this was 10 years ago. It worked then, maybe something changed.

However, maybe they are a bit different but our city issued laptops had a GPS tracking system that allowed the department IT guru, and the mapping system, to track the computer whether it was turned on or, if needed, when turned off. Also, if the laptop was turned off/powered down and closed the same IT guru could remotely power up the laptop and not only access the GPS location, he could access files and change the log in password, essentially locking out the person it was assigned to, or who stole it.

I am not a tech wizard, but this was demonstrated to us during training when they were first issued. Rather impressive.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2020, 02:17 PM

Yes, yes the can.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:54 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,264 Times in 631 Posts

Yes, people can survive without cell phones, even in today's society. Just be prepared to defend yourself as everyone will pass judgement for whatever reason.

But if you're worried about being tracked you could just turn the phone off and throw it in a well made faraday bag. No signal in or out means no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggyslugworth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 06:15 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,514 Times in 44,898 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Oh yeah, I can see how people can get by just fine without a smart phone. I just got my first one a couple months ago. I just got it to be able to have internet access out here. If there were another more viable option, I'd still be using the same flip phone that I've used for the last 12 years.

I haven't used a single feature of the smart phone so far other than tethering it to my laptop and making a few phone calls. If I had needed to carry a PDA around with me before smart phones, then yeah, I would probably have had an actual need for a smart phone. For most people, it's just gadget technology though.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwayne View Post
Apple & Google are planning to use covid as an excuse to have 'built-in' tracing feature in their phones to track all humans and report to government. They are not even hiding anymore. using fear to control you and watch you every second.

Everything is done on a smartphone these days..calling cab, ordering food, paying someone, receiving text messages etc minus the actual voice calls.

If we had to completely reject these tech overlords from existing in our life and live without a smartphone, is it possible?

We could still use internet for banking, shopping, emails etc...but when it comes to 'mobile lifestyle', can one survive without a smartphone day-to-day life?

By "survive" i mean have the ability to live a normal life, be employed, have a family, have friends etc, but without the spying tool in your pocket.
The already have built in tracing.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,096 Times in 8,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
The already have built in tracing.
Unless Apple has changed its position (read: US government threatening endless investigations), don't look for it to be reporting movements to the US government anytime soon. Or any government for that matter.

Google on the other hand is simply a commercial extension of the NSA / CIA / etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:55 PM
Beware of the dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Unless Apple has changed its position (read: US government threatening endless investigations), don't look for it to be reporting movements to the US government anytime soon. Or any government for that matter.

Google on the other hand is simply a commercial extension of the NSA / CIA / etc. etc. etc.
True about Apple, but your service contract is though a service provider and they will help out law enforcement if a (forgot the name) warrant is submitted electronically from the department/agency to the carrier. It is basically a declaration that the tracking is needed for a serious (probably life threatening if I remember correctly) situation. I don't think a judge is needed to approve it, so maybe warrant is the wrong word. I'm retired, I have no need to remember such names.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,518 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INresponse View Post
You may be correct. Like I said this was 10 years ago. It worked then, maybe something changed.

However, maybe they are a bit different but our city issued laptops had a GPS tracking system that allowed the department IT guru, and the mapping system, to track the computer whether it was turned on or, if needed, when turned off. Also, if the laptop was turned off/powered down and closed the same IT guru could remotely power up the laptop and not only access the GPS location, he could access files and change the log in password, essentially locking out the person it was assigned to, or who stole it.

I am not a tech wizard, but this was demonstrated to us during training when they were first issued. Rather impressive.
Either 1) they lied, 2) the laptop wasn’t really off ( say it was asleep), or 3) they embedded a powered on cellular or WiFi modem inside the laptop and connected it to the power switch.

While 3 is possable, that sort of feature set is not used to protect laptops that process classified data, and is certainly not available from the manufacturer on any enterprise grade laptops.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:56 PM
Beware of the dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
Either 1) they lied, 2) the laptop wasn’t really off ( say it was asleep), or 3) they embedded a powered on cellular or WiFi modem inside the laptop and connected it to the power switch.

While 3 is possable, that sort of feature set is not used to protect laptops that process classified data, and is certainly not available from the manufacturer on any enterprise grade laptops.
As for the laptop, it did communicate through WiFi and through cellular service. We were in the training class covering use of the various programs on the computer. Records checks, Report forms, mapping system including the "shortest route" feature automatically mapped when dispatched to a call, internet use, etc. The IT guy had one person from each class power down the laptop, using the start menu and SHUTDOWN option and then close the screen down and place the laptop into the storage bag. Effectively we all agreed the laptop was turned off and stored away, out of use. He then used his computer to show the location of the laptop, and then without opening the laptop he turned it on using his laptop and accessed a saved file on the computers desktop. He then added a note at the end of the saved file saying "Kilroy Was Here".

Maybe it was smoke and mirrors but when the guy opened his laptop, turned it on and opened the file the added text was at the end of his saved file.

Possibly 'impossible' but every city employee that used that laptop computer for the job was given the same demonstration. It was a combination of the IT guy showing off and also a warning that the computer belonged to the city and they could access anything and everything whenever they chose, so don't do stupid stuff with the computers.

Based on that demonstration, and based on a few occasions where the detectives could get a cell phones location through a formal request to the cellular provider, I believe the cell phone tracking, even when turned off, is possible.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:30 PM

I do not own a smart phone and still have an old slider dumb phone. I do not need a smart phone and get along just fine. I do have a smart phone for my work, but only use that for work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bravo32 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 07:32 PM
Freedom Freeloader

In reference to post 69:

I wonder if the laptop were placed in a Faraday bag could it still be accessed?

Or, like you said, it could be smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TimBob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
I do this, too. People somehow decide you having a cell phone means you're at their beck and call 24/7.
My sister runs a section at Justice..... he expects everyone to answer her call (funny how she won't answer unless it is her boss) i told her if I worked for her if she called after work, or on weekends if it was me i would put in for overtime. Funnily it got around and people did just that( union agreements caused some payouts) she stopped that practice as she had to explain it to the budget people. Hawhaw
Old 04-23-2020, 12:06 AM
Prepared

So my phone blows up and starts screaming "DANGER, DANGER Will Robinson. You are in close proximity to a known disease carrier. Please move in a northwest direction immediately" I think I can live with that.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:08 AM
Prepared

Maybe they can expand the system so it warns me about known bar skanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 11:28 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,769 Times in 1,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
I have a regular cell phone, not a smart phone. It can be tracked like any other so if I am going somewhere where I value my privacy, I shut it off.
Shutting off your phone doesn't prevent it from being tracked. Carrying it in a Silent Pocket RF shielded bag helps, but the only thing which is completely secure is removing the battery AND the SIM card and placing the whole works in a Faraday enclosure and not taking it out except when you really need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 10:31 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Shutting off your phone doesn't prevent it from being tracked. Carrying it in a Silent Pocket RF shielded bag helps, but the only thing which is completely secure is removing the battery AND the SIM card and placing the whole works in a Faraday enclosure and not taking it out except when you really need it.

Seems a tad excessive to me. Once you remove the battery the electronics are dead, period. There may be RFID types of passive systems still in the phone (not most of the time, but yes for a few examples), and those can be activated and read when in very close proximity, we are talking a few tens of meters maximum. These passive RFID systems do not involve the SIM card in any way. Cell phone towers cannot and do not activate these passive RFID systems.

Active RFID systems have much longer ranges, but they require power to operate. Removing the battery removes the power.

T!
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
I have a few of those great old cell phones that still work (as in turn on, that's it)but can they be used on today's digital networks? I've been told no...?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,254 Times in 4,583 Posts

For most people, smart phones are just a convenience (for some, they are an addiction). Ironically, I work in a facility where all mobile phones are verboten. When I was just recently working up in VA, I would often forget my phone in the truck all weekend or at least get a ****ed off email from my wife telling me to check my phone
Old 06-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,849 Times in 1,931 Posts

I have no use for a smart phone. The screen is too small plus I don't like the Android OS. I have one I can use on wifi but don't. I have a flip phone which is not LTE compatible I hope when CDMA dies there is a suitable flip phone on the market so I can still make phone calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INresponse View Post
As for the laptop, it did communicate through WiFi and through cellular service. We were in the training class covering use of the various programs on the computer. Records checks, Report forms, mapping system including the "shortest route" feature automatically mapped when dispatched to a call, internet use, etc. The IT guy had one person from each class power down the laptop, using the start menu and SHUTDOWN option and then close the screen down and place the laptop into the storage bag. Effectively we all agreed the laptop was turned off and stored away, out of use. He then used his computer to show the location of the laptop, and then without opening the laptop he turned it on using his laptop and accessed a saved file on the computers desktop. He then added a note at the end of the saved file saying "Kilroy Was Here".

Maybe it was smoke and mirrors but when the guy opened his laptop, turned it on and opened the file the added text was at the end of his saved file.

Possibly 'impossible' but every city employee that used that laptop computer for the job was given the same demonstration. It was a combination of the IT guy showing off and also a warning that the computer belonged to the city and they could access anything and everything whenever they chose, so don't do stupid stuff with the computers.

Based on that demonstration, and based on a few occasions where the detectives could get a cell phones location through a formal request to the cellular provider, I believe the cell phone tracking, even when turned off, is possible.
Look up "Wake On LAN" and "remote desktop".
The Following User Says Thank You to Negentropy For This Useful Post: