Advertise Here

Old 06-03-2020, 03:35 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 9,046 Times in 3,495 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

I would also get out of CA. I know the area you're in...I grew up to the east of where you're at, just over the mountains. I saw the direction CA was heading back in the 70's, and joined the Army to GTH out. I only go back to visit my mother, and that's only sporadically. CA has turned into a cesspool. After bouncing around the world, we settled in AZ, and have no plans to leave.

Make your "escape plan." Research areas that you are interested in moving to, and get the information BEFORE you make your move. You can also contact realtors in those areas and let them know that you are considering moving to the area, and what type of property you are looking for (rural, agricultural, etc.) They are great resources for finding out about local conditions, schools, medical facilities, etc. You can also do quite a bit of online "scouting" of properties. That's how we found our current property. You can do your research for months while pawing down/off the mortgage on your current place.

Once you have all your research done, sell up and move out! You will already have a realtor you've been "working" with, will have scouted potential properties for you, so the process should be faster/smoother than if you were coming into it "raw".

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 03:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,580 Times in 731 Posts

I escaped CA in 2000 after almost 20 years of living there and have never looked back. Parts are nice to visit, but past that, no thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evilwhitey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,144 Times in 7,752 Posts

I saw the way California was going back in the 70's also and made a move to the Eastern Sierra where I spent 41 years skiing , working and raising a family in a lovely area of the forsaken state. DW and I had spoken about moving to the pacific northwest, but not Oregon or Washington because of their progressive politics. Actually, Mogli did some searching in our area around the same time we were looking about 7 years ago, we made the move and haven't looked back besides family visits. Now that mom has passed that will diminish also.

I shared this article on the Mogli thread and will share it here, Coeur d'Alene is less than an hour south of us. We live in a wonderful area.

https://cdapress.com/news/2020/jun/0...oeur-dalene-5/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierra skier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,046 Posts
Exclamation

I think CA is in for some very hard/bad times for many reasons some obvious and some not. I encouraged my brother to get his family out of there years ago and heís been in TN now for quite a while. My mother in law is still there officially, but is here in the mountains with us right now.

I expect CA to be further segregated into gated communities of the haves and many bad areas of the have nots. South Africa comes to mind as an example.

This Kung Flu should have given you some insight into what states you should look at. Some governors and state governments have shown rather poorly.

My governor missed a few licks, but probably did pretty good considering. I chose a market town that is also the county seat. Itís very rural, but Iím 10 minutes from the hospital and shopping on a 30 acre farm.

Jobs can be hard to come by, but we started our own company several years ago so now we struggle to find trained employees. Many folks here have moved out of state for work, but that trend may be changing.

I can recommend searching for a situation similar where you still have medical and some shopping, but are also rural.

I donít know your situation, but if what I believe is likely headed toward CA actually happens I can not recommend you stay there!

SD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:17 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 19,160 Times in 4,560 Posts

Mogli, knowing some of your background , and being of like age and gender , I am going to say that your needs and those of your daughter should take into account the support you get , ex and the stability of your eldest son and his family . Removing oneself from the state entirely could remove you and daughter from being accessible to be supported by your family . I would suggest you are experienced enough to time the market ( manage your money) and select a good property . I would rally the family and have discussion about locating to a slightly larger bit of land, in a secure or readily able to secure area that can accommodate the family and family business where you can give and receive mutual support . Working together maybe you can circumvent a lot of those issues your state is most at risk for ? And those your family is most at risk for as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 03:54 AM
Target Shooter

I have a religious belief to owe no man any money. The interesting part of that is, if you don’t own your house now, does it matter how much debt you have? I’d take all the money and put it into decent dividend/yields like XOM and just use the 7.88% every year to pay the mortgage. Everyone should be having quarterly dividend checks sent to them. At money above 600k you could live on that income forever in small communities.
Old Today, 08:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,426 Times in 2,612 Posts

Sell your home and move. Buy a new home elsewhere. Still debt free.