Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Target Shooter

Default uco candles

Advertise Here

ok gotta be some out there that know what I'm talking about. The little metal and glass candle holder, man 3 or 4 burns I've had with mine, and I'm done with em, a bust I say. molten wax gums up the works so to speak, lol the little spring and all inside is seized up after every candle burned, a pain to deal with, and too heck the glass just gets black as can be, hahaha anyone else use these things. and have a different opinion?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2020, 08:42 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,402 Times in 903 Posts

UCO is hit and miss.. they are a big bulk supplier to the convenience market.. Walmart for example. A jack of all but master to none.. They focus on so many different products some just aren't to snuff, I have one of their fire kits and a food plate/utensil kit and it isn't bad.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,403 Times in 6,656 Posts

had the same problem with the wax gumming the works. the candle is a proprietary dimensions. there is a company that makes a mould for them, I was considering getting one and trying different formulations. UCO also make bees wax candles REI sells them. but bees wax has a higher melting temperature and may be harder to clean out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 10:52 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,514 Times in 44,898 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

You can get an oil insert for them. Or as swappapa mentioned, you can get a mold and make them from a different wax. Hobby shops used to sell a "dripless" wax in the past. If it truly worked, then I'm sure they still sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 05:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,038 Posts
Exclamation

Trimming the wick and other proper candle maintenance goes a long way to avoid or at least minimize these troubles.

I found one all gummed up and boiled the parts if I remember to clean them up and get them going again.(probably not the plastic base)

Years ago they made an oil lamp that I bought instead of their candle lantern thatís worked well, but Iíve ended up using both.

My last real use that I remember was in a snow cave which it lit up quite nicely!

SD
The Following User Says Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Target Shooter

actually I did more research, and looks like many are just adding a paraffin fuel vessel and a wick, and going like that, it burns longer on a can of paraffin over twice as long, well depending on the size can, many you tube videos covering the subject. ill go that way, the candle and or messing around with different formulas is just somethng I won't do, the paraffin oil. ok. that'll work
Old 05-28-2020, 08:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,038 Posts
Talking

Might try bees wax before you give up totally!

My favorite candle maker is out of business, but UCO makes them too!

SD
Old 06-03-2020, 12:57 PM

I have always liked them. Yes they can get messy if you tip them over. I just soak the in hot water after a trip and they are new again. I set it down by the shore at night when we fish in the BWCA so we can find our way back to camp. I also like to set one up in a tent in the fall when the sun goes down early. It gives you a bit of heat and one candle power.

I think your problem is that you use it for multiple burns. If you blow out the flame it will still be hot and and the spring continues to push the wax up after its out. I let my candles burn for 1, maybe two burns. But it only has a nub of candle left so no mess.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 30,534 Times in 8,255 Posts

For those who have never seen or used one;

https://www.ucogear.com/candle-lanterns/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UCO-Origina....c100008.m2219
Old 06-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,815 Times in 1,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Voyageur View Post
I have always liked them. Yes they can get messy if you tip them over. I just soak the in hot water after a trip and they are new again. I set it down by the shore at night when we fish in the BWCA so we can find our way back to camp. I also like to set one up in a tent in the fall when the sun goes down early. It gives you a bit of heat and one candle power.

I think your problem is that you use it for multiple burns. If you blow out the flame it will still be hot and and the spring continues to push the wax up after its out. I let my candles burn for 1, maybe two burns. But it only has a nub of candle left so no mess.

Iíve had the same problem as the OP but you might be right about the cause. Iíve never used one all through the night so when I blow it out it makes sense that itíll be hot and will tend to push the candle into contact with hot metal.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:17 PM
Prepared

Bunkerbuster posted awhile ago of a peanut lighter that he put together with a wick that I was planning on using in the UCO lanterns as an oil insert. I forgot about doing it and this has reminded me. I have also used tealights in them stacked in a tube and just rotate them when they burn out. The wax can build up, but I never found it that hard to clean. I just compress the spring and the wax breaks up. I don't get it spotless just enough to make it work.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Prepared

I have a bunch of them and a bunch of candles. I dont ever have an issue with them, but I am not moving them around when lit either.
Is there some clean up when you burn one all the way down? Sure, butnit takes a couple minutes of warm water or direct sun and they clean pretty easy.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:50 PM
I love this forum

I only use the beeswax, cause paraffin runs everywhere, on fire, if it's iiquid. also, its fumes are toxic. i've had no problem as long as I didn't let the lantern tip over. Some hard-wood ash water suffices to clean the glass. if you let it turn over, you can need to put it in the fire to melt the wax and use the visegrip of your Crunch multtool to hold it as it warms up. if you get the extended base and the circular, folding reflector, it's really hard to turn it over and if you hang it from a tree, etc, the base part is irrelevant.