When are people going to take Coronavirus serious? - Page 20 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-16-2020, 10:52 AM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 24,210 Times in 8,627 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimDave View Post
No, it is not exact. The 1.67 million was speculation, but based on data.

The deaths lag those who have it by 2-4 weeks, roughly.

However, it is enough to show that the 'nothing burger' people are full of crap. It backs up what we have seen in China and Italy. It backs up why governments have been shutting things down.

Im not saying this is a nothing burger. However, they have found enough people who tested positive who had no symptoms that you have to wonder how many people actually had it but weren't tested.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durden
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 11:17 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 35,670 Times in 13,208 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Im not saying this is a nothing burger. However, they have found enough people who tested positive who had no symptoms that you have to wonder how many people actually had it but weren't tested.
In mid February this year, about a week or so before people started worrying about the virus, I was hit by what I thought was a bad flu.

Background info, I have to take a medicine that suppresses my immune system so I very much avoid sick people. Due to the med I take I also can’t have any vaccines like seasonal flu shots. I work in a large corporate office with about 2000 other people many of which travel a lot internationally, including our offices in China.

The “flu” I had in Feb knocked me down pretty bad for five days, with serious trouble breathing, fever, coughing up lots of mucus, diarrhea and serious lack of energy. When I slept I had to sleep in a recliner so I was basically sitting up just so I could breathe.

I took, max strength Mucinex DM every 8 hours , max strength Tylenol every four hours and washed it down with theraflu every four hours for four of the five days.

Pretty sure now it was CoVid 19. Never been tested, no plans to go out into this crap and get tested at this point unless they start testing for antibodies here (they are not currently that I know of) mainly because if what I had was actually just a normal flu I don’t want to expose myself and my family to any further danger with me being out in it and being high risk to get CoVid 19.

I have been approved to work from home all the time now so I rarely leave my house now and like it that way. My dogs are very happy about it.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets.

I'm good on toilet paper... Thanks though

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 12:58 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 22,837 Times in 6,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Does it do any good to reply to these two? Anybody who reads them and thinks they're making valid points is already too far gone to save. And giving them attention, like misbehaving children, just encourages them to keep going.
I wouldn't quite say that my friend, Justin for the most part I rarely ever agree with anything he says but occasionally he makes a valid point without resorting to cussing and trolling. But GoodWrench has a lot more sense. Even though I disagree with him on this particular subject, he has many attributes that he does use his head and makes very astute observations, so Most of the time I do look for his opinion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,836 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
SOJ voiced his opinion about how he thinks we might benefit from doing things the way we used to and you voiced yours about bolstering the economy. Bolstering the economy is exactly what those who control the money want you to do because that keeps you indebted to them. Thereby making you a slave to the system and their slave. So if you are promoting a globalist agenda then I will say so, if you do not like it then tough ****, get over it and move on. You stated in another thread that .gov was hellbent on making people think this virus is a big deal but you are the one who is hell bent on getting people killed by "Oh it's just the Flu Bro" That is a load of garbage and you know it. The problem you have is that people see right through you and don't give a flying **** what you think. Oh and for the record dumb ass, you are not the only person in the room that knows how to cuss. I have tried to converse with you without resorting to that but you continuously do so like it is going to make your point of view any more relevant (which it does not)
Actually, the people not working are the ones falling deeper into debt.

It seems most of the globalists, i.e. Liberals, are promoting the hide at home policy while people in favor of re-opening (Conservatives) want tighter controls on entry into the U.S.

For younger (under 50) and healthy people the hospitalization and death rates are very similar to the flu. The picture changes for older or unhealthy people. These folks should take extra precautions or remain at home.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6915e3.htm
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 01:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,012 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
For younger (under 50) and healthy people the hospitalization and death rates are very similar to the flu. The picture changes for older or unhealthy people. These folks should take extra precautions or remain at home.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6915e3.htm
The problem is there are millions of young/younger people who are morbidly obese thus also have real health issues that put them in the “at risk” category.

Do you ever go to a store and see who’s riding a scooter while shopping? It’s not just the geriatrics anymore.

I’m for opening up the economy for us healthy folks and let the elderly and sickly stay locked down. Why the heck should I be punished because someone else is sickly and/or hasn’t taken care of themselves?!?

Is this a selfish line of thought? Maybe, but I honestly don’t care. I view taking care of myself physically as part of my prepping, and just because someone chooses to sit in front of the TV or whatever and not take care of themselves isn’t my problem. Honestly, my wife falls into that category, and she also agrees with me. She’s made a choice and knows it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retrieverman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 01:38 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
In mid February this year, about a week or so before people started worrying about the virus, I was hit by what I thought was a bad flu.

Background info, I have to take a medicine that suppresses my immune system so I very much avoid sick people. Due to the med I take I also canít have any vaccines like seasonal flu shots. I work in a large corporate office with about 2000 other people many of which travel a lot internationally, including our offices in China.

The ďfluĒ I had in Feb knocked me down pretty bad for five days, with serious trouble breathing, fever, coughing up lots of mucus, diarrhea and serious lack of energy. When I slept I had to sleep in a recliner so I was basically sitting up just so I could breathe.

I took, max strength Mucinex DM every 8 hours , max strength Tylenol every four hours and washed it down with theraflu every four hours for four of the five days.

Pretty sure now it was CoVid 19. Never been tested, no plans to go out into this crap and get tested at this point unless they start testing for antibodies here (they are not currently that I know of) mainly because if what I had was actually just a normal flu I donít want to expose myself and my family to any further danger with me being out in it and being high risk to get CoVid 19.

I have been approved to work from home all the time now so I rarely leave my house now and like it that way. My dogs are very happy about it.
Well consider this. If the Chinese first identified the virus some time in November, how long do you think it would take, and how many patients with similar systems before they realized they had something that wasn't a pre-existing disease and be able to identify that? This means that likely the first person they identified was nowhere near the first person who caught it.
Unless of course they were breeding the virus and knew the moment it got out, which is likely. But let's just assume they didnt. Then it means the virus likely had to have been circulating around weeks, if not months prior to that November identification.

This would mean the virus was already spreading worldwide late summer, early fall of 2019 before being detected and identified in November.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 01:54 PM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,216 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrieverman View Post
The problem is there are millions of young/younger people who are morbidly obese thus also have real health issues that put them in the ďat riskĒ category.

Do you ever go to a store and see whoís riding a scooter while shopping? Itís not just the geriatrics anymore.

Iím for opening up the economy for us healthy folks and let the elderly and sickly stay locked down. Why the heck should I be punished because someone else is sickly and/or hasnít taken care of themselves?!?

Is this a selfish line of thought? Maybe, but I honestly donít care. I view taking care of myself physically as part of my prepping, and just because someone chooses to sit in front of the TV or whatever and not take care of themselves isnít my problem. Honestly, my wife falls into that category, and she also agrees with me. Sheís made a choice and knows it.

The number of kids with virus issues is sising rapidly now that pediatricians and hospitals know to look for it, in NY state. The two kids I know of that seem to have it? Both were swim team kids and have weight in normal ranges and were quite fit.

WIll you wear masks, try to keep spacing and use hand sanitizer and soap for kids?
The Following User Says Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Trapper

The problem is there are millions of young/younger people who are morbidly obese thus also have real health issues that put them in the ďat riskĒ category.

The fatties can stay home if they feel at risk.

Do you ever go to a store and see whoís riding a scooter while shopping? Itís not just the geriatrics anymore.

I don't know where you live but in my state (Arkansas), it's almost always the over 50 people riding the fatty cycles.

Iím for opening up the economy for us healthy folks and let the elderly and sickly stay locked down. Why the heck should I be punished because someone else is sickly and/or hasnít taken care of themselves?!?

Not sure I get your point. Are you arguing that you should stay home because other people have locked themselves in?
The Following User Says Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 02:11 PM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,216 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post

The fatties can stay home if they feel at risk.

I don't know where you live but in my state (Arkansas), it's almost always the over 50 people riding the fatty cycles.

Not sure I get your point. Are you arguing that you should stay home because other people have locked themselves in?
I will ask again. Will you wear some form of mask, try to keep a distance from other people and do your best to keep your hands clean? Or is that too much for you?
Old 05-16-2020, 02:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,012 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
I will ask again. Will you wear some form of mask, try to keep a distance from other people and do your best to keep your hands clean? Or is that too much for you?
Wear a mask? Absolutely not.
Social distance? Been doing it before it was cool.
Use hand sanitizer? Never used it in my life, but like with social distancing, I’ve been an avid hand washer before it was government sanctioned.

Edit to add: I haven’t been to the doctor for any reason in the last 15 or so years. I’ve never taken a flu shot and absolutely WILL NOT take any kind of coroni vaccine.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to retrieverman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 04:01 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,728 Times in 2,178 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't going to say anything about what was being said on the mods but I am going to make one comment on this.

Someone having a different opinion does not equal trolling. It can be a fine line. However, it is pretty easy to tell when someone is obviously trolling. Those ones we do something about.
Personally id rather error on the side of caution and not do something when there are disagreements and let people on here (who are suppose to be mature adults) handle it. That has actually happened many times.

As for people being baited, people know when they have crossed the line. No one is forcing anyone to post something that will get them in trouble.
In addition I will add this is Kev's thread and "in general" we don't Moderate his threads very much since he is quite capable of any actions we can make/take and even much, much more.

Not that "anything goes" either btw.

Some may have figured this out, others it seems would rather bash the Moderation team.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:04 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Where did you ask me the first time? I don't see it.

I will only wear a mask in a crowded venue such as a sporting event or theater. Masks are not required in my location although some cashiers and others who interact with the public have chosen to wear them.

I have always been careful to keep my hands clean and I wash them before and after every meal and after using the restroom. I use hand sanitizer all the time and I've never liked being physically close to strangers.

Our state is re-opening quite nicely and will probably suffer much less economic damage than left-wing states that remain closed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 04:29 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,787 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
In addition I will add this is Kev's thread and "in general" we don't Moderate his threads very much since he is quite capable of any actions we can make/take and even much, much more.

Not that "anything goes" either btw.

Some may have figured this out, others it seems would rather bash the Moderation team.
I'm not bashing, have the highest respect for you, just questioning the 'hand's off' mode that seems prevalent lately. I find myself looking to the news for information instead of here because it's being buried or shouted down...that's sad and disturbing.

Kev hasn't been active here recently that I've seen. No new threads by him for days; I kind of miss them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,728 Times in 2,178 Posts

He's not only been on recently but has been posting, no clue why he hasn't created as many new threads.

I'd imagine he has been quite busy in his gardens at this point?
Old 05-17-2020, 02:20 AM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrieverman View Post
Wear a mask? Absolutely not.
Social distance? Been doing it before it was cool.
Use hand sanitizer? Never used it in my life, but like with social distancing, Iíve been an avid hand washer before it was government sanctioned.

Edit to add: I havenít been to the doctor for any reason in the last 15 or so years. Iíve never taken a flu shot and absolutely WILL NOT take any kind of coroni vaccine.
Yeah, avoiding getting sick is not rocket science, but we have people running around screaming that if you leave your house everyone will get sick and die. I haven't been sick in over 20 years simply because I do not sit close to others in waiting rooms, touch many surfaces with a bare hand (including railings and door knobs) and have always used the inside of an elbow or the inside of my jacket if i had to cough or sneeze.

With the same precautions, you can avoid almost all illness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 08:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,039 Posts

The same people screaming about masks and 'social distancing' are the same ones that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PatrioticAmerican For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,398 Times in 13,655 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't clear enough, low caffeine level.

Lagnar's post no. 344 used the numbers. He speculated that 1.67 million in NYC had the virus, based on test taking sampling. That makes sense.

He THEN went on to use all of NYC's population to get the percentage who died.

That is not a valid math problem, as if you didn't get it, you had no chance of dying from it..
It wasn't my numbers, it was governor cuomo's. He extrapolated based on his antibody tests.

I posted this link to worldmeters: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-rate/

Then quoted some of the key items. Not MY math, not MY speculation.

You would do well to actually read the link.

Here's what the NY Times had to say:

Quote:
One of every five New York City residents tested positive for antibodies to the coronavirus, according to preliminary results described by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Thursday that suggested that the virus had spread far more widely than known.

If the pattern holds, the results from random testing of 3,000 people raised the tantalizing prospect that many New Yorkers — as many as 2.7 million, the governor said — who never knew they had been infected had already encountered the virus, and survived. Mr. Cuomo also said that such wide infection might mean that the death rate was far lower than believed.
Quote:
But he did suggest, based on the survey, that if as many as 2.7 million New Yorkers had the virus, the death rate in New York from Covid-19 would most likely be far lower than previously believed, possibly 0.5 percent of those infected.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/n...s-test-ny.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 11:00 AM
SoJer

Thanked 6,034 Times in 1,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Does it do any good to reply to these two? ..
Yeah, guess I'm just a hopeless optimist, but.. Indeed, Some-things / the brick-minded, etc, just 'aren't Worth the powder'.. Cheers..

jd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 09:05 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 20,459 Times in 6,526 Posts

Quote:
The problem is that the 1.6 million only takes into account the people who were diagnosed with it. There have found that many people who had it showed no symptoms. There is no way to know the actual number.
Excellent point hawk.

It should be noted that nearly 400 people at a meat packing plant in Missouri tested positive.

Not one had symptoms or was sick.

I'd also point out that hospitals are going broke. To stay in the black they are reporting practically every death they can get away with as covid related to get federal aid.

The numbers are NOT trustworthy

FWIW I know almost 100 people that have come down with whats been described as a weird half baked cold. Got it myself. As did the wife who's diabetic and immune compromised. I along with all the other folks I know that " think " they got it....better in a day or two.

The company I run with has 750 other lower 48 OTR drivers

All have run steady through this entire fiasco. Not one has missed a day of work, let alone died.

I'll say it: this nonsense is one big nothingburger and our economy likely won't recover.

Forbes is saying 42% of jobs lost during this crap are lost for good.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo.../#432e35ad50ab

Last edited by iyaayas; 05-18-2020 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Spelling. Again.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 09:09 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 20,459 Times in 6,526 Posts

Oh and Hawk, thanks for the word about moderation. Appreciate it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post: