Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 47,162 Times in 13,785 Posts
Default Use of liquor as a base for internal medicine

Advertise Here

Need some advice. Thinking about buying a few bottles of liquor to put in my deep-storage SHTF medical chest. Let me preface this by saying I am not a drinker...I haven't had so much as a beer in more than 12 years, so I know absolutely nothing here other than I know that historically some types of liquors were used either as a base for certain internal medicines (orally consumed) or as a surface linement or disinfectant. Let's say for the moment that I have plenty of the latter types of supplies, and am mostly interested in internal medicine.

Would I be correct in assuming that when choosing alcohol to make tinctures/extracts, it should be pure grain alcohol?

But for other types of concoctions, other types of hard liquor would be appropriate?

To be clear I'm interested primarily in their suitability for their purpose, the sturdiness of the container, the longevity of the formula, not particularly a question of taste. The use is intended to be strictly medicinal.

Can you make some recommendations of types and brands that would be best suited?

And recommendations for storage, if any, beyond "cool/dry/dark place"
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 04:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,878 Times in 645 Posts

Def good question!

Following to see what gets posted.

I also don't drink often, but keep quite a stock of alcohol JIC.

Over the years I've found brand name stuff is the best to keep...and anything 80 proof will do the job. I like cheaper Brandy (Mr Boston). I've gotten this for $5.99 a bottle during a sale.

Everclear is making a comeback since hand sanitizing stuff has dried up. This used to be 20 dollars a bottle and like 190 proof. I've noticed prices have gone up a little and this is hard to find now. You can't drink this without cutting it 50%!

Screwball came out late last year. It is a peanut butter flavored Whiskey. It is quite awesome to drink, and I've brought bottles to Holiday parties and the bottles were always emptied! I enjoy usually any flavored Whiskey but lean more to maple and honey.

Again, anything 80 proof and up should be good to get the edge off and I'd stick to stuff in glass bottles, as plastic makes me think of rot gut. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2020, 05:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,618 Times in 2,497 Posts

For sore throat i like equal parts honey, lemon and preferably gin, cheap gin like Gordon's is fine. Maybe warm it up and take by teaspoon. Gin seems more mediciney.
I haven't been drinking for awhile but for flavored liquers i like frangelica, kahlua, ameretto, drambui but not everyone likes this one. Cream liquors like irish cream don't keep well but are very tasty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 06:06 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,423 Times in 9,788 Posts

When I made tinctures I used Everclear mixed with vodka to get 50 proof.

Gin gives me a horrific migraine.

If I was sick I might try some cherry brandy.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 81,547 Times in 23,708 Posts

Alcohol is a great solvent, so for bringing chemicals from herbs into solution, I suppose it is well suited. And if you need to concentrate the chemicals, the alcohol can be evaporated off until you get a desired concentration (assuming the desired chemicals are heavier than ethanol). Lastly, it should prevent any sort of bacteria spoiling the medicine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 07:57 PM
ICBM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
For sore throat i like equal parts honey, lemon and preferably gin, cheap gin like Gordon's is fine. Maybe warm it up and take by teaspoon. Gin seems more mediciney.
I haven't been drinking for awhile but for flavored liquers i like frangelica, kahlua, ameretto, drambui but not everyone likes this one. Cream liquors like irish cream don't keep well but are very tasty.
Used to be a military medicine named elixir terpin hydrate, slang was called "GI Gin" and it sort of tasted that way.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,618 Times in 2,497 Posts

Tonic water used to have a lot more quinine in it and gin and tonic was used for malaria.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:04 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,180 Times in 393 Posts

I was reading an herbal medicine book this week, and it says to use 80-100 proof. It made no reference to type of quality, just proof.
The Following User Says Thank You to film495 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 10:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 47,162 Times in 13,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by film495 View Post
I was reading an herbal medicine book this week, and it says to use 80-100 proof. It made no reference to type of quality, just proof.
would you be willing to share the name of this book? i'm always on the lookout for more reference material
Old 04-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,917 Times in 11,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
Thinking about buying a few bottles of liquor to put in my deep-storage SHTF medical chest
Good inventory control management rotates stock.

You should consume what is in inventory. Eat what you buy. Buy what you eat. The same with liquid. If you generally do not drink alcohol, consider it being an annual gift as a means to rotate the stock.

Alchohol does not go bad like milk. Still, inventory turns is a GMP, good management practice. Worst case, the booze gets broken somehow and ruins other emergency provisions. By rotating the stock, you minimize such losses.
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,304 Times in 1,442 Posts

I like to keep these on hand for making medicinal tinctures:

Everclear (or Gem Clear brand) - 190-proof, which translates to 95% alcohol.

Vodka (any cheap brand will do) - 100-proof, which translates to 50% alcohol.

The properties of some herbs extract better in very high alcohol content, while others extract better in lower alcohol content. (And some extract much better in only water, and others in oil.)

Some good books that will help take the mystery out of herbal medicine-making:

Herbal Medicine, by Dr. Sharol Marie Tilgner
The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook, by James Green
Making Plant Medicine, by Richo Cech

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 01:07 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,416 Times in 3,967 Posts

There are recipes for tincture. I just started a Bidens Alba tincture. It called for high proof vodka as the liquid to soak the leaves in. The chemicals that needed to be extracted from the leaves were not water soluble but they were soluble in alcohol. The leaves must have an oil in them that contains the chemicals that were desired to be extracted. Chloroquine is the chemical in Bidens Alba (Beggars Tick). The tincture is supposed to be antiviral and 90% effective against malaria. Interesting huh?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post: