Final warning!!! - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,240 Times in 413 Posts

Advertise Here

I'm planting a 900 sf garden with the idea, that if I can freeze, dehydrate, can, and store some in a root cellar, it is a good thing to know how to do better, but if things turn south - it might buy us more time before having to crack open the 5 gallon jugs of rice and beans.

We're in no way self sustaining here - the idea is just to know how to get through any significant food shortages, and possibly come out the other side. I see nothing like that on the horizon, there would have to be a couple other significant events in addition to the current pandemic, but it sure has be keyed up to get my act together.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to film495 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,050 Times in 3,210 Posts

I have a small backyard garden, a couple hundred square feet, mostly 10 gallon pots. I also keep 9 chickens. It's amazing how much food this setup produces. If I threw in a couple of rabbit hutches I think we could produce a good chunk of our food needs for my wife and I. Of course, eggs, peppers, and rabbit meat will get boring real quick, but we wouldn't be complaining once the grocery stores closed down for good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
Everybody can grow something, no matter where they are.
True, I've been wanting to get into hydroponics and I find it quite fascinating but it is a commitment that takes time and money. I would love to do it but as of right now I am doing so many other things, not the least being the renovation of a home I want to rent out.
The Following User Says Thank You to MA Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
My wife is a farmer's daughter, who is in the garden all summer.
But she doesn't even come close to feeding us.
Does she grow stuff that's edible? I've got a neighbor who is big into gardening but she doesn't grow anything that's edible.

If your wife is into gardening you or her might want to look into bee keeping if you haven't already. Bee keeping supposedly goes quite well with gardening.

BTW with you being married to a farmer's daughter, I just want to say, lucky you.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackbob View Post
MA Survivalist - as a fellow MA member it is always interesting to see what happens with our grocery stores when the threat of something happens - such as winter storm, hurricane etc. - but this one really brought it even further home as far as I am concerned. Our local grocery store was out of paper products, cleaning supplies within about 20 minutes and then all the pastas and sauces went next. And now 3 weeks out it is still very hard to come by.
Ackbob, you misunderstand my username. MA does not stand for Massachusetts it stands for Martial Arts. So no I do not live in your home state although I wouldn't be surprised if you are in the martial arts what with you living in Massachusetts and all. Anyway, considering your shortage in the grocery store hopefully you were well supplied beforehand as a prepper should be. I was well supplied for the most part but I will admit I did fall short in some areas which I will make sure not to fall short in in the future. I hope things get better for you and for your state.

That being said I actually live in Pennsylvania although Im originally from New Jersey. As a prepper and a survivalist I would not want to live in a state such as MA, or a state such as NJ for that matter, and so that's why I moved to PA. Im an Eagles fan and no offense to you but one of their best moments for me was when they beat the Patriots in Super Bowl LII.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Deplorable Freedom Zealot

Thanked 10,997 Times in 2,351 Posts

The U.S. has been a top producer and exporter of pork for years.

Since 2010 China has been either 3rd or 4th largest importer of U.S. pork.

I am curious why the guy thinks we depend on Chinese pork.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/anim...a-glance/#Loc4
Old 04-19-2020, 09:07 AM
Hiker

Doesn't take a lot of land to farm some things. My property is only 100x120 with a house footprint of 2832. that's house garage and driveway. Leaving me about 120x70 or 8000 sqft. to grow on. so I grow trees, fruit trees. 4 peach, 12 apple, 2 cherry, 2 apricot, raspberries, and other berries, and 9 rhubarb plants.

Once planted, they require minimal attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingsman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 03:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,038 Posts

"Final Warning!"

What, again? Every now and then someone wants to seem important and tell us this is our final warning. Attention seeking behavior.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Survivalist View Post
True, I've been wanting to get into hydroponics and I find it quite fascinating but it is a commitment that takes time and money. I would love to do it but as of right now I am doing so many other things, not the least being the renovation of a home I want to rent out.
We operate a hydroponic farm on 2 acres. It's a vertigro system.

So, the system is operated by basically a home sprinkler system. Split up in to the 6 zones, and then the hoop house has it's own smaller 4 zone system. They pump through these water powered pumps which pull calcium and nutrients and we use coconut core as dirt, and rice hulls in the place of perlite.

If I were to do one at home, I'd just run gutters with a water hose capped off with misters put along the way with one of those MiracleGro things at the front to pull nutrients. This stuff we use is REALLY expensive and breaks all the time lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	farrrrrm.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	302104  
Old 04-19-2020, 06:21 PM
aka Mental Avenger

Thanked 6,250 Times in 2,334 Posts

I'm not going to watch 10 minutes of hesitant rambling to get 30 seconds of information. Waste of time.