Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-10-2020, 02:08 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,190 Times in 544 Posts
Default Chronic tennis elbow solutions?

Advertise Here

It's been bothering me for a few months but that marathon refrigerator cleaning and reassembling last week really kicked it up and now my left arm is pretty useless. Can't wash dishes, can't clean anything, can't move stuff around, can't do home repairs, all of which are needed right now.

Any suggestions for home remedies, keeping in mind I can't go out and buy something? I've been resting it, putting freezer packs on it, and taking NSAIDs.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 04:26 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,110 Times in 374 Posts

I got tennis elbow in both elbows a few years back, lost 7 months of work due to it, and it flairs up from time to time.
Two things help a lot. Proper stretches and massage. If you can rest the elbow it will improve faster but I understand we have to get things done and work continues.

Stretching:
The ligament that connects the top forearm muscles to the elbow are the culprits here so the stretch you want to do is one that actually relaxes those top muscles. Put your hands together with palm together and finger straight, as if you're praying. Hold this for 20secs or so, do this for about 5min total. Make sure you're not feeling pain while doing it.

Another stretch is holding your arm straight out palm up and with your other hand pull your hand down while not lowering the rest of your arm. 20secs and 5min total. Remember, if you feel pain you're over doing it.

Massage the muscles of the top forearm and the elbow joint. Do deep massage in the forearm but gently on the elbow joint.

I hope this helps
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Black Dragon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 04:40 PM

There are also braces you can use that can put pressure on it to help.

I've had issues twice in the last few years due to desks - I like to lean on them when I work. A piece of foam stripping put on the edge can help (fireplace trim foam) or you have to adjust your chair so you're not leaning as much anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to canningmom42 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,363 Times in 3,584 Posts

Time seems to heal them . A long time .The TENs muscle stimulators are worth owning to treat that affliction and many others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,741 Times in 1,467 Posts

i have had it for months. i have the elbow braces and salonpas. mine is in my right elbow and i use my right arm in alot of my work. time without using that arm is the key. i dont have that time so i hired someone to do alot of what my right arm does. still not healed but only hurts when i press on that spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 04:54 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,190 Times in 544 Posts

These are great suggestions, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
The TENs muscle stimulators are worth owning to treat that affliction and many others.
I have a TENS unit from about ten years ago when I had a back injury. It was stuck way at the back of a closet and I'd forgotten all about it! Thanks for the reminder. I dug it out and used it last night and again this morning with considerable improvement.

I'm doing something to my arm at night that makes it much worse, though. I don't know if I'm sleeping on it in bad positions, or moving it around too much, or what. I have the strap kind of brace I wear during the day but it bothers me at night so I don't wear it then.

When digging out the TENS unit I found a stretchy, pull-on knee brace that has firm but flexible bars on the sides. I'm going to put some stitches into it so it'll fit my elbow and try wearing that in bed tonight. Maybe it'll prevent whatever I'm doing at night that makes the pain worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 34,132 Times in 11,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
It's been bothering me for a few months
My tennis elbow has been hurting me for 2 months now! What a timely thread. Thanks!
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,332 Times in 23,874 Posts

Boil a whole chicken for 4 hours. The essential stuff for fixing your elbow will break down into the broth. Drink the broth and eat the chicken. Should fix you right up pronto.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,615 Times in 830 Posts

Few years ago I got double tennis elbows. It took almost a year to fully heal.

Afterwards when one arm started to act up again, my doctor recommended a special brace. It simply squeezes the ligament/muscle so the inflamed end does not move. It is simple actually: doc put her hands around my elbow and squeezed. Pain went away immediately (as long as she continued squeezing).

With that brace I was able to do like 98% of my normal tasks and I skipped only ones with heavy lifting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Target Shooter

Really when you can go to the doc have him hit it with a cortisone shot .
I have suffered with pain from elbow shoulder knee pain for years .
After 3 years of hobbling around on my bum ankle the dock shot it up .
One day I just realized I was walking normally.
My knee was the same hobbling for years and one shot and it got better
Shoulder was bad for years and one shot and it got better .
I have not needed a second shot in a few years or more now .
It’s really not worth trying to get it to heel on its own.
The Following User Says Thank You to wellbuilt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,913 Times in 1,585 Posts

Not entirely sure your "tennis elbow" is the same as the tendinitis problems I've had but what worked for me was Eccentric curls with very light weight 20-25 reps per set, 1-5 sets every morning and again at night.

The key is Eccentric only. I placed the weight into my "bad side" hand, lowered the weight slowly, grabbed it with the good hand, re-set it into the Bad one at the top and lowered again.

I felt improvement in the first couple "workouts" and soon was just doing a single set AM/PM for a bit longer. I don't remember how long it took, but after suffering for many weeks, I made progress with decreasing pain in leaps and bound.

Anytime I start getting flare ups I go right back to this and it always helps.

There is a lot written about eccentrics for rehab and tendinitis if you google it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belnik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 11:38 AM

I wear an elastic brace on my right elbow and a Velcro’s wrist brace (desk job). I never had this elbow problem until I started using a computer daily. I found (for me) that 20-25# weights between 10-20 reps help a lot. my theory is that it builds the muscle back up and makes it heal. So far it works. I do curls and over my head with them. I also use two 30cal cans full of 45 auto (use what ya got lol) for a dead weight lift. Some days I do multiple sessions if my arm hurts. I just power through and am better for it. Obviously everyone is different and care must be give to not overdo it.

I haven’t worn a brace in a week but had worn them for years. Only thing different is I have been doing more woodwork/handyman stuff. Maybe using different muscles helped too
The Following User Says Thank You to commandpriority For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Off the grid

Try using a compression “sports-type” brace (mentioned above), that should help with the pain & lay off using that arm. It can take more than a year to heal and if you over do it, you will feel it again in some hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Expat47 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Trapper

I used to get tennis elbow from playing tennis from time to time. Rest helped the most back when the problem first appeared. Since I changed my diet the tennis elbow hasn't made a reappearance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 02:10 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,332 Times in 23,874 Posts

You said you are taking NSAIDs. Not sure which one you meant. For me, Naproxin at double the normal dose was almost a miracle for me a couple times. It kills inflammation better than anything short of a steroid shot, in my experience.

It made ibuprofin obsolete for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post: