Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 4,266 Times in 1,350 Posts
Default Why does TV say mask is no good...yet medical wants them?

Advertise Here

On the morning news they had a story on the N95 mask and the lesser protecting pleated surgical mask. They said the panic buying is creating a shortage for medical professionals. They said none of these masks protect from virus. Yet they are worried about supply for medical professionals that wear them to protect themselves.

Is MSM saying that hospitals want masks to protect against everything else other than corona?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,124 Times in 4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
On the morning news they had a story on the N95 mask and the lesser protecting pleated surgical mask. They said the panic buying is creating a shortage for medical professionals. They said none of these masks protect from virus. Yet they are worried about supply for medical professionals that wear them to protect themselves.

Is MSM saying that hospitals want masks to protect against everything else other than corona?
if you read carefully the media is saying that the regular population wearing masks will do nothing to statistically slow the spread of the virus. However health care workers do need them to avoid getting the virus.
The Following User Says Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 08:08 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,824 Times in 2,241 Posts

Its a lie.... Its propaganda so that individuals won't buy the masks that medical personnel truly need.

I purchased big and I purchased early and I am not giving mine away.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 08:18 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,214 Times in 328 Posts

Most people know not to trust the mainstream media. It sounds like the OP caught them in another of their many lies/half truths.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 08:32 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
if you read carefully the media is saying that the regular population wearing masks will do nothing to statistically slow the spread of the virus. However health care workers do need them to avoid getting the virus.
It's kind of like how Bloomberg justified his security detail carrying weapons that he would allegedly want to ban. He gets more threats than Joe Average so he needs better protection. (classic irony)

On balance, when masks are needed it makes more sense that health care works get them first. Otherwise they might reasonably say, 'If I can't have reasonable protection then I will not treat anyone possibly infected."

While it may not slow the spread, it certainly could help protect an individual.
As Spock said, 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." "or the one," according to the Captain.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 08:33 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,667 Posts

James Robb, MD FCAP
Dear Family and Friends, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.
The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread by mid to late March and April.
Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:
1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!
What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs). The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.
I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.
I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. Good luck to all of us.
James Robb, MD FCAP
Old 03-04-2020, 08:33 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,141 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
I do not agree with them. Anything that helps keep you from touching your face or speading the virus further would be considered a plus, IMO.
Trump supposed to be getting the factories on the ball with the mask issue.
By the end of the week, officials predict 1 million test to be done. How many more mask will that entail? Don't know, but I've got mine .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,390 Times in 7,708 Posts

Short answer, the PTD are lying jerks.

Actually, that's the long answer, too...
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 10:04 AM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 5,698 Times in 2,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Its a lie.... Its propaganda so that individuals won't buy the masks that medical personnel truly need.

I purchased big and I purchased early and I am not giving mine away.

Quoted for truth.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,200 Times in 13,604 Posts
Default Fud, fud, fud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
James Robb, MD FCAP
Dear Family and Friends, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS),

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs). The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
Sounds like good advice.

Don't get coughed or sneezed on (stay away from crowds), wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer, don't touch your face while out in public after you have touched surfaces. Wear a mask to stop the "large droplets (produced) by coughing or sneezing".

====
As to the OP, health care professionals through their jobs are in close proximity or contact with sick people. Hey, lets buy 10 freaking thousand of them because, because, because and to hell with the people who are actually at risk every day they are at work.

I have a few left over from construction projects and if/when I have to go out in public I will use a couple of them. Not hundreds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

Thanked 15,414 Times in 3,057 Posts

They don't want people to go crazy buying up the limited supply. But Singapore early on handed out masks to every citizen and that (among other things) is helping control it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Dismember

Thanked 5,227 Times in 1,346 Posts

Does anyone happen to remember the Ebola cases in the US? You know, when wealthy Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas didn't have the PPE or knowledge to care for freekin' EBOLA? The Ebola that we'd had months of warning about?

Do you remember H5N1, the deadly disease hatched in birds instead of snakes? The disease that we only dodged because of brutal culling by the Chinese?

Chaos theory of the modern world has given us many warnings that this might happen.

And now, the very PTB that failed to prepare for this are now shaming the people who DID prepare, mostly out of limited funds, because they failed to do their duty.

A shocking number of "experts" don't even understand the "directional" (which direction the air flows) design of how various masks work.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,699 Times in 13,976 Posts

Health care personnel require more masks per day. They must throw away their mask after every patient. Whereas a civilian will wear theirs all day, taking it off to eat, putting the same mask back on, taking it off for meetings, putting it back on... Isn't there even a thread here or at least a discussion in one of the threads about how many times you can reuse a mask? Or how to "sterilize" a mask for reuse?? No Bueno.
IMO as a retired nurse, that is why they are suggesting the public leave the masks for medical workers.
If you need a reminder not to touch your face wear a piece of jewelry you don't normally wear on your dominant hand. Guys just slip on a rubber band. Anything that will catch your attention before you hand gets to your face. And don't forget to either throw that rubber band away at then end of the day or disinfect that piece of jewelry along with your eyeglasses and phone. EVERY day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,518 Times in 7,084 Posts

It doesn't matter to me what they say. We all know that masks do help. Even masks that don't seal everything out. Those can keep people from blasting it all over when sneezing and coughing. As with everything I buy, I don't care if someone else thinks I bought too much or too little or something they deem not effective. We're all individuals with different needs. For some 100 masks would be a lot for other 100 much too little. Glancing at my cart gives you no real indication of need because you have no frame of reference. No more than if the 1000 rounds of ammo in my cart is too much or too little.

Don't care what their opinions are. If they wanted some the CDC should have put a notice out to hospitals 2 months ago warning them to clear out Home Improvement and paint stores and put orders in at distributors. Isn't that the purpose of the stupid agency to watch for health stuff that can affect the country and figure things out ahead of time? The pricing signal and contracts would have kept a large supply here instead of being sent to China and locked up the in country manufacturing and distribution.

The CDC or Surgeon General or President or some hospital can't guilt me because of their stupidity any more than some random person can guilt me for anything else I bought that is now wanted by everyone. We aren't a command economy and individuals know their needs better than government or the collective minded people crying to the media about hoarding. Ski-roo them all.

I bet there's some intern at the CDC somewhere that's been reading up on the virus for months and has cases of hand sanitizer and rooms full of masks he's selling on ebay and amazon. I can't fathom all of the people working for the CDC being so dense as to miss out on buying early.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Museum Piece

Like every other type of mask, you have to be trained on how to use them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Earthquake Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
James Robb, MD FCAP

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
I hadn't thought of that actually. The idea that wearing the masks is sort of like putting a scratch cone on a dog.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiltshift For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,214 Times in 328 Posts

I realized something today. The argument that people should stop buying masks and leave them for health professionals just might be bogus. I'm guessing that hospitals and doctor's offices probably have contracts with whoever provides their masks, and nurses, etc., are probably provided with masks by their employers. I doubt they go down to Walmart to buy what they need for their jobs. And contractors would probably supply their needs before those of the stores. At least, when I worked a job where we had a buying contract, they took care of us first.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,311 Times in 3,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
I realized something today. The argument that people should stop buying masks and leave them for health professionals just might be bogus. I'm guessing that hospitals and doctor's offices probably have contracts with whoever provides their masks, and nurses, etc., are probably provided with masks by their employers. I doubt they go down to Walmart to buy what they need for their jobs. And contractors would probably supply their needs before those of the stores. At least, when I worked a job where we had a buying contract, they took care of us first.
As far as I am aware, the hospitals I have worked at have NEVER purchased masks from Home Depot. So who is it that they re selling these masks to if not Joe Shmoe?

I have a clinic and I cannot get masks for the clinic. Mckessen won't sell us masks. I purchased them at HD in January to be prepared for the clinic, but it's paper towel rubber band time for patient masks... and here we are again back at the same spot, I can't get ANY PPE, the hospital isn't getting HD branded masks, you can't get them... so who is getting them? Where are they?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 07:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,395 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepal View Post
I do not agree with them. Anything that helps keep you from touching your face or speading the virus further would be considered a plus, IMO.
+++++ and a few more +'s
The Following User Says Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,311 Times in 3,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevidal View Post
They don't want people to go crazy buying up the limited supply. But Singapore early on handed out masks to every citizen and that (among other things) is helping control it.
Perhaps we have people within government who have a different agenda seeing a virus that disproportionately targets those who are most costly to the government?

Tinfoil hat stuff, but how else do you explain the disconnect?
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post: