Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 07:05 PM

Advertise Here

I got the 3M 7502 medium size half mask ordered online and 2091 P100 replacement cartridges 12 pair also online.

I got lucky today it turns out in my area that the mask and replacement cartridges are hit pretty hard between going to 4 different big box stores I did manage to get lottery lucky and get two packages so 4 pairs of 3M 2097 P100 replacement filters. That is absolutely the only thing that was on the shelf between 4 big box stores. I say lucky because I lady was directly behind me walking right where I was when I picked up the cartridges and she immediately turned around and walked the other way I am pretty sure she was after the same thing.

This whole situation is sad and I feel bad for painting contractors. Needless to say I am also buying for my parents as well as my girlfriend that we have a 5 year old kid by. I think I am good on the amount of cartridges for a while from what I read I should have about a year supply since you can wear the things for a month at a time or 40 hours which ever comes first.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decadude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,345 Times in 6,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There is already a thread on improvised masks. There are 5 PAGES of Coronavirus threads.
Yeah, but none of those pages are going to make him any youtube money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:48 PM
Museum Piece

Last edited by Trip Wire; 03-03-2020 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: yes this is a joke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 21,383 Times in 5,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadude View Post
Biggest help was saving money with the use of swimming googles HUGE thanks I was able to get the half mask ordered no problem and ordered 3M medium

On to respirator buying and again thank you a ton very grateful for your replying and ignoring the negativity

Glad I could help....

I remember how helpless I felt about respirators (less than a month ago!) until I started self-educating...

If you really wanna deep dive on respirator/PAPR/gasmask tech youtube has a couple channels with fellas who are very literate on the topic....

BTW, PAPR stands for "Purified Air Powered Respirator"

their handles on YT:

Weaponsandstuff93

DukeNougat3d
Old 03-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Museum Piece

Ebay is selling MSA Ultra twin masks (these are real pure air masks)
Get two filters (one for each side) most are expired, but do not worry, for this they will work just fine.
While you on Ebay get two pre filter caps. I got 4 for $10 bucks.
Then head over to Amazon and get MSA pre filters. You are set.

Screw the filters into the mask, put the pre files and caps on top of the filters and you can now walk around without a care in the world.
All of MSAs pre filters are N95 or P95 rated (N not oil resistant, P are). Plus the filter is P100.
About 100 bucks and you will not have a care in the world. You ass is worth a 100 bucks, right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 22,857 Times in 7,539 Posts

Given that the PRIMARY purpose of masks is to contain YOUR coughs, almost anything will work to some extent. Paper towels, multiple layers of knit t-shirt material, und-und-und.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 02:17 AM
Prepared

The virus is spread through respiratory droplets that are emitted when someone coughs or sneezes usually. If a droplet is inhaled through the nose or mouth, or gets into your eye, you can get the virus. The filters don't have to stop the virus, only the respiratory droplet that transports the virus, so the idea that it only stops you from giving it to someone else doesn't make much sense. If that were true, why would medicos and decon teams be wearing masks and eye protection?
The droplets disperse after a cough or sneeze in a pattern that roughly parallels the inverse square law, meaning that the further you are from someone who's emitting droplets, the lower the concentration of droplets that you will be subject to. So when you hear someone sneeze or cough, move in the opposite direction. Double the distance and the concentration of droplets decreases by a factor of four.
Like many pathogens that affect humans, it has evolved to flourish in the human respiratory tract, so we're talking warm and wet. Take away the warm and wet, or seriously alter the chemistry of the environment and with enough time the bug should be ineffective.
Gloves and masks are the first step, but don't forget to protect your eyes. I use safety glasses that seal well around my eyes and don't make me look like a bank robber.
Just my opinion to take or leave.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,595 Times in 431 Posts

I’m making back up face masks. I’m using 2-3 layers of cotton plus a layer of zorb heavy duty dimpled fabric between the cotton layers. The zorb fabric has a tangled weave. This was recommended by Wazoodle.com as a good alternative but they make no guarantees. It’s more breathable than pul which was my first choice. It cost me $27 per yard.

I tried to find the n95 but it’s made in China. Layers are approximately 11 by 7 inches and pleated at the sides. The front cotton layer opens at the top forming a pocket for n95 inserts when they become available. There is twill running inside at the top and bottom and measures 28 inches each. These can be tied around the ears and adjustable depending on the person.

The mask is washable with a little bleach. I can make Superman or Spider-Man for small and big kids. The mask fits almost to the ears and unpleats enough to cover all the face. Safety glasses will help seal along the nose. These are an alternative to purchased masks. I don’t believe they can make masks fast enough for all of us

Last edited by Grannygrump; 03-04-2020 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Adding
Old 03-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Optimist

Here is an interesting concept:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/hea...w-its-for-sale

Now these were made specifically for the purpose but with some ingenuity I would think something like this might work.

Just a thought.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:11 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,365 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannygrump View Post
Iím making back up face masks. Iím using 2-3 layers of cotton plus a layer of zorb heavy duty dimpled fabric between the cotton layers. The zorb fabric has a tangled weave. This was recommended by Wazoodle.com as a good alternative but they make no guarantees. Itís more breathable than pul which was my first choice. It cost me $27 per yard.

I tried to find the n95 but itís made in China. Layers are approximately 11 by 7 inches and pleated at the sides. The front cotton layer opens at the top forming a pocket for n95 inserts when they become available. There is twill running inside at the top and bottom and measures 28 inches each. These can be tied around the ears and adjustable depending on the person.

The mask is washable with a little bleach. I can make Superman or Spider-Man for small and big kids. The mask fits almost to the ears and unpleats enough to cover all the face. Safety glasses will help seal along the nose. These are an alternative to purchased masks. I donít believe they can make masks fast enough for all of us.
You mentioned washable with a little bleach...

If anyone gets the silver impregnated fabric, be aware they caution not to use bleach or even the oxy-kind of non-bleach.

https://www.wazoodle.com/zorb-silver.html

https://www.wazoodle.com/pre-activat...le-silver.html

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
Old 03-04-2020, 02:24 PM
Master Mason

Thanked 7,121 Times in 1,992 Posts

Okay, I made a couple. I picked up a box of #4 Cone Coffee filters. I had the rubber bands, paper clips and tape. It worked great. Nice and snug. I could put my reading glasses and sunglasses on them no problem. Like the OP said, itís better than nothing. Cheap alternative for yard work too.

Now I know I can make them as a last resort. Even for just flu season.

If thereís a run on masks, this was a good idea.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 04:53 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,199 Times in 13,603 Posts
Talking A joke? Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Wire View Post
..... snip
Won't work without the K&Ns

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jug heads copy.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	298890  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 PM
Retired kafir

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
After getting several requests I did this video for my youtube channel. Before the flaming starts, yes, its not a N95 but it sure beats having nothing at all.
Great idea.

Don't forget to decorate it with your sharpie.

Heck, decorate your real ones too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dust mask.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	298892  
Old 03-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,699 Times in 9,419 Posts

I saw this really clever innovative and inexpensive (10 cents) temporary respirator. It may easily improve your defenses, or be an added defense to a typical mask or whatever you have or use.

It uses a kitchen sized trash bag with draw strings. Since these will temporarily hold water and are water resistant, they should offer fairly good viral defense if sealed well.

So if you don't have a box of trash bags, go get some on your next trip or order some online!

https://youtu.be/2H24vTTKzHY
Old 03-05-2020, 02:34 PM
Retired kafir

As long as we are joking around. ..

At least this one has eye holes.

hmmm..

In case the popo tries tear gas on you.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:23 AM

Default Are N-95 or N-100 masks effective protection?

During the ebola scare I loaded up on N95 and N100 masks. Are these effective protection against Coronavirus?

https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-N95-4MH50

https://www.amazon.com/3M-8233-N100-.../dp/B07BX5DWKD
Old 03-14-2020, 04:12 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,345 Times in 6,444 Posts

Yes. Both will filter out the droplets that the virus is carried by.

But they are only as effective as their seals, and only if you don't do something like rub your nose with your contaminated hands right after you take off your mask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 04:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,311 Times in 3,605 Posts

The best mask is the one you have, and will reduce risk, nothing will eliminate it.

Even the most effective mask if 100% effective would still leave you at risk if you touch your mouth WHILE you remove your mask with your dirty stinkin' hands

If you have options in social settings I believe an N95 will provide sufficient protection. This as others will note, is not the best at filtering out lipid proteins, which corona is. However, in social settings, a reduction in viral load will reduce the chance you will be exposed to the required ID50 to "catch it". Where you feel viral loads will be elevated, p100 would best suit those higher risk areas.

There will be limited resupply of masks for the public, so what you have is what you have.

These are "single use" items, however, I would suggest you figure out ways to keep the inside of that mask free of any conaminants and consider airing them out for a week so any virus left on it is innactive.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,672 Times in 2,107 Posts

My brother is in London, he wears a proper 3m gas mask when going to work. He says he gets some looks but fk em, couldnt care less.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 07:20 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,272 Times in 3,372 Posts

Masks work best for protecting others when you're sick to keep your germs and virusses on yourself. They don't help too much if someone coughs at you and you take your mask off when you get home or where you need to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread