Poor Man's Busse? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Randall vs. Busse Semper Paratus Knives, Swords & Axes 135 02-29-2016 11:19 PM
Anyone know the name of this Busse knife? woolly Knives, Swords & Axes 21 02-02-2015 02:10 PM
Busse, Busse, Busse elmojo Knives, Swords & Axes 62 01-19-2015 05:53 PM
Poor poor unions - Obama screwed us!! real wowwee Political News and Discussion 48 02-06-2014 07:36 PM
What sheath for Busse TGLB Helo Knives, Swords & Axes 7 03-24-2013 10:51 PM
Another Busse approach 2act Knives, Swords & Axes 6 10-10-2012 08:46 PM
Busse Knives BOBtheBUTCHER Knives, Swords & Axes 47 06-16-2012 09:28 PM
DRAT-Time Magazine says the crisis is over, Poor Takezo! Poor SurvivalistBoards! BenjiofSection31 General Discussion 13 11-01-2011 12:47 PM
BUSSE knives WARWAG Knives, Swords & Axes 25 04-12-2010 11:37 AM
Busse knives WARWAG Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 11-30-2009 07:41 PM

Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,816 Times in 703 Posts
Default Poor Man's Busse?

Advertise Here

I don't know how I stumbled across the Browning Crowell Barker Competition knife cover
Browning Crowell Barker Competition knife, but I started reading up on it after I saw a reference to it, and I got to tell you, it is impressive. There is even a in 3 parts that makes me think that this knife could be a viable alternative to the Busse Battle Mistress.

Has anyone got one of these knives that they would care to comment on?

EDIT: I hate the way this forum handles links!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FALPhil For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM

I have seen some in action and they hold an edge very well and chop very nice. I would say they would do everything a Busse would. Busse's are mostly a status symbol knife. The purchase price cover's membership into the social circle they have developed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trentu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Pot-stirring nest-poker!

Thanked 8,731 Times in 2,189 Posts

"High Carbon Steel" usually means 1075 or 1095, which makes it a KaBar or Schrade competitor. I doubt it will perform any better or worse. Also, high-carbon makes these blades extremely susceptible to rust and staining, so if you do get one keep it cleaned and store it oiled. 1095 is tough-as-nails and can withstand heavy abuse. It's also great for starting fires as it will provide a lot of spark against flint of other strikers. It will sharpen easily as well, and hold a serviceable edge for a good amount of time.

You need to get far more exotic -- and expensive -- to get anything appreciably better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMonsantoPlanto For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,223 Times in 8,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
I don't know how I stumbled across the Browning Crowell Barker Competition knife, but I started reading up on it after I saw a reference to it, and I got to tell you, it is impressive. There is even a youtube destruction test in 3 parts that makes me think that this knife could be a viable alternative to the Busse Battle Mistress.

Has anyone got one of these knives that they would care to comment on?

EDIT: I hate the way this forum handles links!
You mean like this?

The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 AM

Well, if you actually watched the last Video it isn't a Busse.
For all normal and common knife use it should serve the owner very well though.
I am one of those folks that carry a Busse into the PA woods and certainly I am not a part of any Busse Social Circle although (admittedly) one certainly does exist.
Just FYI ~ part of the cost of a Busse is that every Busse knife is guaranteed for the life of the knife and not just for the life of the owner or the original owner.
So if you ever do manage to somehow break a Busse...you get a new knife. And your Grandkids will get a new knife if they break it after you are gone.
Many blades of substantial thickness and high hardness will chop very well and keep a good edge.
That goes without saying.
But, they do not have good lateral break strength though as they are typically quite brittle.
That is not to say that the Busse is some sort of a Magic Blade but, they are amazingly tenacious and tough with highly superior lateral strength.

The Busse "heat treat" is highly unique & propitiatory and it is an involved process...and that is part of what you are paying for when you purchase a Busse.
You get good edge retention with an edge that is highly resistant to chipping out and a blade with superior lateral blade strength in a knife that is not prone to rusting which is an extremely difficult combination of positive blade attributes to achieve.
And that does make them more expensive which is just an unfortunate reality.
So (in that regard) the Busse is for sure not merely a status symbol.
There are also not too many knives that you can buy...use hard for 5 years and then pretty much get all of your original purchase price back if you ever decide to sell it on the "used knife" market.
So they ARE a "smart buy" if you purchase one at the original Busse retail price and not aftermarket since the prices DO tend to escalate greatly after Busse stops making any particular knife style.

So...I just wanted to clarify what the buyer is getting when they purchase a Busse.
They are not "overpriced" for what you are getting (especially as it pertains to the heat treat process)
BUT, not everyone will need a knife inclusive of all of those unique and atypical blade qualities.
There are many great knives out there that will perform very well for the majority of all typical knife uses but, the buyer is NOT getting "ripped off" if they purchase a Busse.
If anybody wants to spend the money or not...that is a personal decision that they will (of course) need to make for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentu View Post
I have seen some in action and they hold an edge very well and chop very nice. I would say they would do everything a Busse would. Busse's are mostly a status symbol knife. The purchase price cover's membership into the social circle they have developed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alea iacta est For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 AM
Survival Actual

Thanked 11,888 Times in 2,991 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

how do you figure that a $110 knife is a "poor man's" knife???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dougzilla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,223 Times in 8,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougzilla View Post
how do you figure that a $110 knife is a "poor man's" knife???
http://www.bussecombat.com/knives/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM

I figure that he means that if you compare it to the cost of a Busse - it IS a poor mans Busse.

I own a few Busse knives and I really do appreciate them but, I am not a knife snob. I have other really good knives that I like a lot.
There are two Busse knives that I use pretty doggone hard (the TankBuster and the NMSFNO) but, I never abuse any of my knives and I never have.

AKA I never pound on them through metal with a sledge hammer like Noss in the above Video.

I would have no issues with taking this BROWNING with me as a survival type knife. Seems like a pretty nice, strong knife with very good edge holding ability and it is obviously a great chopper.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,530 Times in 11,535 Posts

people put priorities of spending on different things, my computer is a 10 year old laptop with a few upgrades, phone is a flip ( that's a new one, my old one was a old Motorola that I finally had to upgrade, my newest vehicle is 10 years old, most the clothing I have is surplus or 2nd hand. my Achilles heel is the occasional firearm ( either a swap or barter) blades and boots. best I can get. I mean, I would love to have a medford Pretorian in ti,and a aLmar Hobbit but they are so far out of my price range, its not funny. picked up a spyderco warrior on a trade, ( same design as the hobbit) and its a decent blade. Have a early Busse BM, back from the days he was making them in his shop solo, worth every penny I spent on it then, just got a Extremea Ratio RAO, its so far being everything its cracked up to be. but by no means am I a collector. everything I have is used. right tool for right job frame of thought.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,816 Times in 703 Posts

Well, I must have been a good boy in 2014, because Santa left the Browning under the tree.

I will do a review on it shortly.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Target Shooter

The poor mans' Busse is an ESEE Junglas. Not some mystery steel but comes with the BEST lifetime warrantee in the biz.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirt Wheel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 AM

I wouldn't have bought one because of the cost, but was gifted a NMSFNO 7 years ago. It gets used regularly, has been used as a hatchet on wood, and a cleaver on 7 deer. To date, it still shaves hair and has only ever been honed on a butcher steel. The INFI steel is impressive.

It is a huge knife, though, and wholely unsuited to edc. A couple of weeks ago I ordered another Busse- an anniversary Mean Street, with a 3.5" blade. It won't be a chopper by any means, but should do 90% of what I use a knife for, and be a best quality fixed blade replacement for a pocket folder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pipehand For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
swamp rat

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Wheel View Post
The poor mans' Busse is an ESEE Junglas. Not some mystery steel but comes with the BEST lifetime warrantee in the biz.
Lifetime of the owner or lifetime of the knife? Busse is lifetime of the knife. If you have a Busse, no matter how you got it, the warranty is good.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:46 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,259 Posts

I agree with Dirt Wheel. I have a friend who was showing off his Busse. Status symbol. Like most things in life! I have the Esees. Plenty happy.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:54 AM
Hiker

I would like to see a chop off between an Ontario Sp-53 and a Battlemistress. I would not assume the Busse as the favourite...

Gaston
Old 12-02-2018, 05:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,814 Times in 2,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentu View Post
I own more Busee knives than any other knife brand and I honeslty dont know how many knives I have. Couple hundred maybe, I dont know.
I've been very critical lately regarding the way they ship their knives, especially the poor sharpening and at times lack of detail in such an expensive knife. It still bothers me that they cant be bothered to ship a knife with an actual sheath. Sometimes their blade geometry isnt that good either and get too far into the flmaboyant design factor over utility.
Having said all that some of their knives are very sound and their steel and heat treatment is fantastic. Maybe a bit of a snob thing about them, sure. A bit of a fanboy base? sure, but the steel and heat treatment is in fact great and not just a 20$ chunk of steel with some fancy tactical logo on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston444 View Post
I would like to see a chop off between an Ontario Sp-53 and a Battlemistress. I would not assume the Busse as the favourite...

Gaston
You'd assume wrong. Busse's heat treatment is second to none 5160 is great stuff but it will break before INFI would, especially on a Battlemistress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,148 Posts

Jerry Busse, yesterday on BladeForums: "We Have So Many New Killer Cool Models Coming Your Way!!!!!!. . . It's Crazy!!!! . . ."
Old 12-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Prepared

Let me preface this by saying I used to "help" a Busse rep sell the knives at the Indy 1500 Gun Show for over 12 years.
I bought one of the first 100 Battle Mistress's back in the late 90's due to Ron Hood's (RIP) recommendation to me. Have had more Busse's go through my hands than I could count.
I've had a Busse in my kit for over 15 years through numerous deployments and will continue to do so. I've taken a 20 oz. framing hammer to the spine of my BM to beat it through the last few inches of a 8x8 of a treated timber post. Right tool right job? No, but it worked.
I have tried numerous other blades over the course of my life and they all failed. Sometimes in a very spectacular fashion but they all did fail. I was told by LTC Rowe (RIP) that a knife is just another tool and to get the best tool you can afford. I took that to heart. If I ever find a tool that works better, I'll try and get it.
With all that being said, you won't find a better guarantee anywhere. I have noticed a noticeable slip in the quality of the "finish" over the years but not the steel (INFI). It's a running joke about a certain employee actually when he does the sharpening. Jerry seems to be stepping back somewhat from the day to day operations. He has changed his business model to adapt to the market for better or worse but it seems to be working for him.
I would still recommend Busse to anybody who wants a hard use tool that won't let them down over any others. I plan on my grandson getting my knives after I die as they will still be the best tool. I continue to trust my life, as well as my families, to Busse. Not a "fanboy" but I know what works.

Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flatlander11b For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,814 Times in 2,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander11b View Post
Let me preface this by saying I used to "help" a Busse rep sell the knives at the Indy 1500 Gun Show for over 12 years.
I bought one of the first 100 Battle Mistress's back in the late 90's due to Ron Hood's (RIP) recommendation to me. Have had more Busse's go through my hands than I could count.
I've had a Busse in my kit for over 15 years through numerous deployments and will continue to do so. I've taken a 20 oz. framing hammer to the spine of my BM to beat it through the last few inches of a 8x8 of a treated timber post. Right tool right job? No, but it worked.
I have tried numerous other blades over the course of my life and they all failed. Sometimes in a very spectacular fashion but they all did fail. I was told by LTC Rowe (RIP) that a knife is just another tool and to get the best tool you can afford. I took that to heart. If I ever find a tool that works better, I'll try and get it.
With all that being said, you won't find a better guarantee anywhere. I have noticed a noticeable slip in the quality of the "finish" over the years but not the steel (INFI). It's a running joke about a certain employee actually when he does the sharpening. Jerry seems to be stepping back somewhat from the day to day operations. He has changed his business model to adapt to the market for better or worse but it seems to be working for him.
I would still recommend Busse to anybody who wants a hard use tool that won't let them down over any others. I plan on my grandson getting my knives after I die as they will still be the best tool. I continue to trust my life, as well as my families, to Busse. Not a "fanboy" but I know what works.

Bob
Great post, agree with most of it.
I do think that you can do very well with a much cheaper knife and while everything, including Busse, can and will break if you abuse it enough, you can get say, a SCHF9 Shrade, or their Frontier model and beat the crap out of it well beyond reason. Will it hold and edge like INFI, or resist rust as well or even break at the same point of abuse, maybe not, but it will be close enough and maybe for some people they can live with that on a 40 USD knife, (that comes with a sheath, sharperner and firesteel) vs a 400 USD Busse that comes wrapped in paper with no sheath and barely sharpened.
I did a video covering this same point when I got my Soldier Dog 8. I see why someone would say "screw that, I'll stick to my 40 buck Schrade and save myself 300 bucks".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Great post, agree with most of it.
I do think that you can do very well with a much cheaper knife and while everything, including Busse, can and will break if you abuse it enough, you can get say, a SCHF9 Shrade, or their Frontier model and beat the crap out of it well beyond reason. Will it hold and edge like INFI, or resist rust as well or even break at the same point of abuse, maybe not, but it will be close enough and maybe for some people they can live with that on a 40 USD knife, (that comes with a sheath, sharperner and firesteel) vs a 400 USD Busse that comes wrapped in paper with no sheath and barely sharpened.
I did a video covering this same point when I got my Soldier Dog 8. I see why someone would say "screw that, I'll stick to my 40 buck Schrade and save myself 300 bucks".
I agree. Like I said, since Jerry has stepped back the QC seems to have slipped. We even had one come through that was never even sharpened but somebody bought it BECAUSE of that! Try explaining to 100's of people over the years that even though they just spent $600 on a knife they need to go get a sheath
I've used the crap out of my knives for many chores they weren't intended. Would a less expensive blade have worked? Probably, but, when the SHTF for real, I trust my Busse not to pick that time to finally fail LOL

Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flatlander11b For This Useful Post: