Good Gaming Television??? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 01-12-2020, 09:04 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,995 Times in 19,011 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default Good Gaming Television???

Advertise Here

I recently "upgraded" from a 40" TV to a 50" to improve my gaming experience. I have an LG flat screen. It's fairly "state of the art" but I have an issue with it. You can set it to various modes which emit different shades of light. Unfortunately, the gaming mode is probably the darkest screen shade offered but it's the only way I can play any video games smoothly. In other words, if/when I try a lighter mode ... the games become sluggish and herky-jerky.

Does anyone know of a brand that offers a game-friendly, brighter screen?
Old 01-12-2020, 11:24 PM

I'm not a gamer but I do have an Alienware Area 51 system so I get email related to gaming systems. You should check out the following systems / monitors and see if any suit you.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...-billgfe_en-us
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ForumSurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 04:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,322 Times in 695 Posts

Certain LG 2019 B9 and C9 series OLED televisions or SM9000 series regular panel televisions are pretty much only ones available right now that support G-Sync variable refresh rate and fast refreshrate, 4K120hz or whatever it was, over HDMI.

That you should pair with a proper GPU, ie. RTX series, that supports those features over HDMI and gaming experience should be pretty nice overall.

The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 04:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,251 Times in 1,157 Posts

TV? Why not a decent digital projector.
Tons more bang for the buck and huge screen.
My 15 y.o. Daughter even hooked up her own system for a little over $100 and watches a 6x6’ picture on her wall.

Ten years ago my boy and I were gaming on a high def 7’x8’ screen with surround system. Blew everyone’s mind that came over to visit. Nice system for $900, they’ve come down in price since then
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 07:53 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
TV? Why not a decent digital projector.
Tons more bang for the buck and huge screen.
My 15 y.o. Daughter even hooked up her own system for a little over $100 and watches a 6x6’ picture on her wall.

Ten years ago my boy and I were gaming on a high def 7’x8’ screen with surround system. Blew everyone’s mind that came over to visit. Nice system for $900, they’ve come down in price since then
How far from the wall does the projector have to be in order to get a good, crisp picture?
Old 01-13-2020, 08:09 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
How far from the wall does the projector have to be in order to get a good, crisp picture?
What are you playing? Console?
The Following User Says Thank You to Loves_Chickens For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 08:46 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves_Chickens View Post
What are you playing? Console?
Yes. Xbox One X.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Mine was mounted overhead above us, projecting about 15 feet away, but picture size is adjustable. Some projectors today can be setup on the floor directly against the viewing wall. I project directly against a white painted wall, but custom screens can enhance the experience.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Yes. Xbox One X.
There's two concepts to consider here. One is refresh rate (hz) and resolution (HD, 4K..) Expensive displays can give you both high refresh and high resolution, but if you're playing console games then anything over 60 hz refresh is a waste.

Xbox One can go up to 120 hz, but it looks like there's almost no games that utilize it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loves_Chickens For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:47 PM
Hunter

Quote:

Depends on how big picture you need. I'm just going to state that I WANT ONE. That screen with ultra short throw fabric is ridiculously expensive. ~3k for the 120" screen and about 2k for laser projector.

There is also similar motorized screens for much cheaper but they have different fabric.

My current plan for movie setup is
1st replace current projector with 1080p laser projector.***
2nd replace current ceiling mounted screen with motorized one
3rd replace 1080p projector with 4k one.

My current setup is ceiling mounted screen from some school, I bought it for 70€ few years ago. Projector is something that I got for free, it has almost burnt out lamp. Movies are so dark that they are borderline unwatchable So that setup does not see much use these days.

***This is regular, non-laser version.

The magic word these days is Ultra Short Throw. Setup like those don't need much more room than a regular TV set.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,411 Times in 7,345 Posts

Quote:
I recently "upgraded" from a 40" TV to a 50" to improve my gaming experience. I have an LG flat screen. It's fairly "state of the art" but I have an issue with it. You can set it to various modes which emit different shades of light. Unfortunately, the gaming mode is probably the darkest screen shade offered but it's the only way I can play any video games smoothly. In other words, if/when I try a lighter mode ... the games become sluggish and herky-jerky.

Does anyone know of a brand that offers a game-friendly, brighter screen?
Maybe a dumb question...but isn't there a way to adjust brightness after you set the mode?

I use an LG, it also has various modes of light, but between the TV settings and the game itself, I can usually make it plenty bright.

I have found that I prefer to set them slightly lighter than the games typically suggest.

You know that thing during game install and setup where they say "adjust until you can barely see the logo" or some such thing? I make it a few steps brighter, and then the games look better, for me.

I also have some light in the room. I HATE playing games or watching movies in complete darkness. I think that makes the LG sensors lighten up some as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Xiaomi 4K laser projector on 120'' Floor Rising ALR Projection Screen - YouTube

Depends on how big picture you need. I'm just going to state that I WANT ONE. That screen with ultra short throw fabric is ridiculously expensive. ~3k for the 120" screen and about 2k for laser projector.

There is also similar motorized screens for much cheaper but they have different fabric.

My current setup is ceiling mounted screen from some school, I bought it for 70€ few years ago. Projector is something that I got for free, it has almost burnt out lamp. Movies are so dark that they are borderline unwatchable So that setup does not see much use these days.

The magic word these days is Ultra Short Throw. Setup like those don't need much more room than a regular TV set.
$5k? Worth every cent!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:16 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Maybe a dumb question...but isn't there a way to adjust brightness after you set the mode?

I use an LG, it also has various modes of light, but between the TV settings and the game itself, I can usually make it plenty bright.

I have found that I prefer to set them slightly lighter than the games typically suggest.

You know that thing during game install and setup where they say "adjust until you can barely see the logo" or some such thing? I make it a few steps brighter, and then the games look better, for me.

I also have some light in the room. I HATE playing games or watching movies in complete darkness. I think that makes the LG sensors lighten up some as well.
After I set the mode ... I brightened it as much as I could. When it's "nighttime" in the game ... it's difficult to see. I have poor night vision to begin with. The only way I can play is to turn off all of my lights and draw the curtain shades. However, playing with all of the room lights off creates a strain on my eyes as well. Like you, I prefer the lights on but with a bright screen. So I'm in the market for something that fits the bill.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Xiaomi 4K laser projector on 120'' Floor Rising ALR Projection Screen - YouTube

When I get my first million ... I'll go this route. Hahaha.

It really sounds awesome and would love a set up like that. But I'm just a blue collar, working stiff so I have to stay within a low budget.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:23 PM
Hunter

Same here. I didn't say how many years that plan will take :D Maybe I'll get the 4K projector as a hand-me-down when I retire in... hopefully less than 20 years :P
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post: