Recomend virus software - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 09-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Hiker

Default Recomend virus software

Advertise Here

Got a new PC and wondering what virus software to go with, also what malware or any other needed ones? How about a VPN if so which one
Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2019, 12:30 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,132 Times in 20,808 Posts

I've been using Norton for years and recommend it.

For malware I just run the free versions of Ccleaner and add Malware bytes and Bleachbit once in a while. I uninstall malware bytes after the scan because it is relentless with the popups to get you to buy the thing.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,502 Times in 7,836 Posts

The FREE microsoft version called "Microsoft Security Essentials" works better than any of the major commercial types, and it's FREE. Been using it now without a single issue for about 5 years. LOVE IT. And saved me around $50-100 annually buying the garbage commercial stuff.

I have in the last 2-3 decades used McAfee, Norton, and a few others and always seemed to get bugs. But with MSE my machine seems to work just fine.

Also, don't visit or download suspected stuff, and just use some common sense and that seems to be good for prevention as well.

IMO FREE MS software is probably better. No conflict of interest, and they want the best software to protect THEIR hardware and the stuff they sell. Contrast that with the absolute conflict of interest for commercial stuff, always promoting newer and greater anti-virus software and upgrades at $100 ... Like the local car window replacement company that goes around smashing car windows and sprinkling gravel in the roads. lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,368 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
The FREE microsoft version called "Microsoft Security Essentials" works better than any of the major commercial types, and it's FREE.

I have in the last 2-3 decades used McAfee, Norton, and a few others and always seemed to get bugs. But with MSE my machine seems to work just fine.

Also, don't visit or download suspected stuff, and just use some common sense and that seems to be good for prevention as well.

IMO FREE MS software is probably better. No conflict of interest, and they want the best software to protect THEIR hardware and the stuff they sell. Contrast that with the absolute conflict of interest for commercial stuff, always promoting newer and greater anti-virus software and upgrades at $100 ... Like the local car window replacement company that goes around smashing car windows and sprinkling gravel in the roads. lol.
Had PC Matic. It stopped working with the advent of Windows MSE. No issues with MSE. PC Matic's customer support is non existent, in my experience. Used Norton in distant past, slowed computer terribly. +1 for MSE. If you have a new Win 10 computer, it is already installed and active.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 PM
Target Shooter

Another +1 for MSE. Malwarebytes is another good idea. In the past, anyway, running multiple anti-virus installations seemed to battle each other.
Wish I could find another open source OS that works as well for me as Xubuntu7.04 did but the new ones all take longer to download on my dial up connection for me to want bother.
The Following User Says Thank You to bugbor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 08:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,168 Times in 6,139 Posts

I use Viper on all of the home PCs. At work we are a Symantec shop. Think it is too big of a memory hog.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,153 Posts

Here's what I did:

I went over various reviews and checked the ones that are most effective in terms of performance and usability.

I tried free or trial versions of those selected (one at a time). I searched for guides on how to install and configure them to run faster without affecting protection. I saw which ones slowed down the PC (especially when browsing files) and uninstalled them (some AVs that were considered fast slowed down the machine) using a free uninstaller (because the built-in uninstaller left parts of the antivirus software, etc.).

I decided not to buy because the protection ratings changed every few years. Instead, I used free versions but avoid those where popup ads from the AV couldn't be disabled.

One argues that the most effective software so far are those from Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and Sophos. More details here:

https://www.thepcsecuritychannel.com/

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePCSecurity/videos

For the browsers, I use Firefox and Waterfox Classic for older add-ons, with at at least the ff. add-ons:

uBlock Origin (helpful for beginners if set to default)
NoScript (probably not for beginners)

I installed free versions of various anti-malware, like those from Zemana and MalwareBytes, for offline, secondary scanning.

For the firewall, I use Firewall App Blocker to do manual blocking because third-party ones require too much intervention.

Finally, I used a scheduled backup program to back up the system to an external HD plus scheduled backups of document directories to the cloud.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:48 AM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 262,751 Times in 31,633 Posts

Any virus software recommendations for Mac ?
Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,169 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Frio View Post
Any virus software recommendations for Mac ?

Iíve used Intego in the past, worked for me but not sure how robust it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,999 Times in 1,134 Posts

https://www.10bestantivirus.com/free...4dcb4a6b33b3dd

Top 10 Best Free Antivirus Software 2019
Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,920 Times in 9,075 Posts

You are the best anti-virus, don't click on pop-up links. Mouse over links before clicking and look at the little window that appears at the bottom left of your screen to see where it is actually going to send you.

The built in windows 10 stuff is good enough. You can also use zone alarm and malware bytes. IMHO Norton is the virus.

Back up your data often. 2 back ups is good. Local external drive(s) and a cloud based place is worth having too in case the house burns down.

VPN's can work if you don't mind things slowing down. I doubt they really protect you from gubernments (and likely draw their intrest) but should work well against the coffee shop hacker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,176 Posts

IT professional here, and I recommend MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). It's free, and I have yet to have anything get thru it on multiple computers. Norton, McAfee, AVG, et al have all let thru stuff that I have seen and they slow your system down by hogging resources and constantly nag you with popups to buy the newest version.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,153 Posts

I think MSE is for Win 7 (installed manually) and Windows Defender for Win 8 and higher (built-in).

According to some groups MS products do well against viruses (but not necessarily the one for Win 8) and many not do well against 0-day malware and ransomware:

They might also be heavier compared to other antivirus programs:

About detecting malware visually by not clicking on pop-up links, some malware are found in ads, parts of web pages, and applications considered safe but compromised externally.

Application whitelisting (approving particular programs to run) might also be a problem because the user might not tell if a program is safe and needed:

Given that, I decided to use a free version of one of the top antivirus programs, then added secondary, offline scanners, security add-ons in browsers, and scheduled backups.

Finally, some say that testing antivirus programs using hundreds of malware samples is not realistic because users are usually attacked by only one malware at one point. In which case, critics can probably test the app using that malware where it failed.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:07 PM

I have used trend micro for years.
In the past I had norton and mcafee, but found them annoying and used a lot of memory and cpu resources.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:55 AM
Dog & Reptiles eater

Thanked 1,310 Times in 690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greif View Post
Got a new PC and wondering what virus software to go with, also what malware or any other needed ones?
I only use Windows Defender that came with Windows 10 Home. If I ever need anything more serious I just run Linux instead of Windows
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to varuna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,130 Posts

I haven’t used AV software for five years now, and I’m online daily for hours. Is it only necessary for Windows OS?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:05 AM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,552 Times in 591 Posts

I bought malwarebytes a few years back, they had a deal for 3 pc's and lifetime license for $40. I was using it alot anyway, like others install. run, then uninstall. I also use Avast antivirus and it doesnt take over like norton, mcafee do. As long as I stay away from questionable sites (pirate serials, dark web) I stay out of trouble. Prolly could get away with just using Defender, but we used avast at work and I kinda like it.