Survivalist Forum banner

Cancelled the cameras

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Bearsclaw 73 
#1 ·
I got tired of resetting the Simplisafe cameras all the time. Nearly every time I looked for video on my phone it says the cameras are "off line." The good news is that I am saving $10 a month because the cameras are no longer part of the security system. They required internet to work anyway and when the wifi was off the cameras were too. Unlike the rest of the system that works off of the cell phone system. I told them their cameras are worthless to me and that I would try too sell them for whatever money I could recover from them. So I am looking for a camera system that doesn't require wifi or extra cloud space. I might have to go to a DVR or NVR loop system and look at the recordings after the fact if there is an incident. The key to a system like that is that you have to hide and lock down the DVR so that an intruder can't compromise the recording. Maybe wireless cameras to DVR. Any better ideas?

#7 ·
That's not a bad price for that many cameras, however I have just one reservation and that is the 65' IR range. If the area is already backlit to a certain degree then they will be fine but in total darkness they may be slightly disappointing.

Disclaimer: We have never installed Lorex cameras for our customers so I can't vouch for the quality or lack of quality of the IR at the 65' distance.

#4 ·
Maybe this would work...

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here.

Saw this post and wanted to offer up an opinion, or at least how I'm setup. What I'm about to detail does require a minor degree of technical acumen, but nothing crazy. If you have a basic understanding of computers and networking, this solution may work for you as it has me.

I currently use a product called Milestone xProtect Essentials:

https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/platform/video-management-software/

If you have under 8 cameras, you can use it for free. I have 4 HD infrared cameras (about $85 each, but you can go cheaper) placed around the house that are hooked up via power over Ethernet or "PoE". If you aren't familiar with that, basically the switch everything is hooked up to to provide data communications also provides the power to the cameras via the LAN line instead of having to have power source near the camera. All of the camera data goes back to the Milestone server where I have it setup to record on motion (you can do full recording too, but would need a fair amount of disk space or it will start to automatically overwrite it). Lots of flexibility with blocking out areas of movement (such as plants moving in the wind), sensitivity of recording, etc. There are a ton of features including mailing/texting on event if you want to take the time to set it up (read up on their website for all the low-down, it's way too much to list here). The milestone system also have a mobile app so that I can see all of my cameras from my phone and can also review playback.

My system running the software is an old PC from probably at least 5 years ago so it doesn't take a ton of power to run it. Best part, you can hide it somewhere if someone breaks into your house and they won't be able to take the data. No cloud stuff to worry about, no monthly fees. Mine is hooked up to a UPS as well so any glitches with the power don't impact the system whatsoever. I can run up to 20 minutes or so I would guess upon a power failure. It's not bulletproof, but should be good enough in 99% of cases.

That's just how I have mine setup and thought that may help others. Full disclosure I have nothing to do with Milestone and only became aware of it as we used it for surveillance at my church and I'm the volunteer IT guy to support it. I have been very impressed with it (particular when one of my neighbors flashed her chest hams at it when she was drunk with her friends) :D:

There are a lot of resources on the Internet to help you understand this and it's not near as complex as it may sound. If you have any other questions on my setup or the product, please feel free to ask.

Looking forward to more good discussions on this board.

Thanks.
Roy

#5 ·
I had a Lorex two camera wired in system years ago when they were made by Sylvania. I got real good video from the cameras from the little monitor that came with it. It was a quality system for it's time. And it lasted a long time for no more than it amounted to. Two cameras and a monitor that powered the wired in cameras. I had it set up to where it showed the action full time on a corner of the tv.
I have no problem with the Simplisafe security system other than the fact that my cameras won't stay on line. Simplisafe has been real reliable about calling my cell phone when there is motion in a monitored area. By the way I know where you can get a real good deal on a couple of Simplisafe cameras. PM me. Maybe you would be happier with them than I am.
I will look at that Lorex system and see what all would be needed to see real time motion and to be able to run it back and look at it again. Maybe to see if I can add a camera later if I get the two camera system. The whole system is a better deal than paying $80-$100 each for cameras alone and then trying to rig them up.
Thanks Roy! I will look into that system too.

#12 ·
The two cameras that I have would occasionally be off line when I would check them from my phone while we were away. I figured that they needed to be reset because the internet signal had been off temporarily. I didn't like the fact that there was no other indication that they were not connected until I tried to view them. I didn't like that I had to be present to reset them. Unplug and wait and then hold the reset button and then scan the code in. They should have a way to reset them from the phone while you are away. Both cameras did the same thing at the same time so the problem might be in the base station but I called Simplisafe several times asking about the problem and the only answer was to reset the cameras or the base station. When it started happening at least twice a week-- when we are away-- I figure it is time for them to go.
I'll admit that I am no genius when it comes to technology but I do know what works for me and what doesn't. I am glad to know that other people have no problems with the cameras because I intend to try to sell mine and get something that works better for me.
I asked Simplisafe if I should get reimbursed for the cameras beings as how I have paid for the cameras and the monitoring for two years. She said they are only guaranteed for 60 days.
So here I am looking for a better, more reliable, stand alone camera system.

#9 ·
I considered simplisafe till they came out against the NRA. Now, dont get me wrong, I
am an advanced life member, but I do not support them anymore. But I watch the simplisafe commercials just yesterday and before, and they make it sound like with their stuff, NOTHING can happen. Now, an alarm company that doesnt support firearms also is BS to me.

#10 ·
I install and service cameras and systems with my business.

There are basically 2 types of cameras - Consumer-grade and professional-grade.

Consumer-grade are the cameras you get at big-box retailers and online. They are often wireless. They can be good cameras. They range in cost around $50 - $150 per camera. They have an average life expectancy, in my dealings, of 6 months to 5 years. Wired is the way to go with these cameras, as WiFi can be iffy, especially when it seems you need it the most, plus, as noted by other posters, it is dependent on internet connectivity.

Professional systems, such as I install and sell, are almost 100% hard-wired. The cameras can be Analog (Cabled with Coax for video signal, and power wires (usually 12 VDC), or IP cameras cabled with Cat 5 twisted pair Ethernet. IP cameras can be powered with POE (Power Over Ethernet) where power is shared on un-used wires in the Ethernet cable, or with a local at-the-camera power supply. It is preferred to do POE.

The IP cameras often offer many features not found in other cameras. For example, they can have local on-board micro SD for recording. This is a great back-up to a DVR system in the event the crooks steal the DVR to eliminate the recordings of their crimes. It also allows the stand-alone use of the cameras without a DVR.

IP Cameras do not have to be connected to the internet though! You can setup a "network" with the cameras and hard-code an IP address into the cameras, run back to a network switch and have a locally attached computer for viewing. I have setup systems where we have no internet but use IP cameras. The systems are in HOA neighborhoods located in the country. We use a private WiFi network to where HOA authorized board members can connect to our private network wirelessly and view the cameras within the neighborhood.

Regardless of whether you use consumer or professional grade cameras, I definitely recommend using IP cameras for the ease of installation and the availability of advanced features.

#14 ·
I have a NightOwl 8 channel that once set up, has work flawlessly since day one.

I plan on setting the entire system up on those battery backups to avoid losing mobile ability during the first part of a power outage.

Night vision does well and from from what I can tell, the sensors alerting for movement are very high quality.

The nv is supposed to allow 125 ft of vision and seems to do its job. I’ve had animals alert the system nearly that far away. On nv you can see eyes anywhere inside the range.

More importantly, when the internet is acting funky, it continues to record with no issues.

I highly recommend NightOwl cameras.

Edit: forgot to mention they are wired for power but are wireless for signal. Signal has only ever had issues through metal.

#15 ·
I use hikivision/dahua cameras with blue iris on a laptop PC. This creates a completely local system. You need POE connections to the cameras, but it is nice as you never need to replace batteries. With the POE cameras you are always recording, all the cloud based battery cameras typically only record on motion to save battery. The bandwidth of high quality video (e.g. 4K) will overwhelm wifi bandwidth and can really only be done over a wired connection.

POE cameras from camera mfg tend to be higher quality. You also have a larger variety of specialty cameras to choose from. There are cameras that can record license plates (regular cameras typically wont do it well), tilt/pan/zoom cameras, super zoom, wide angle, etc.

You can also buy a security DVR instead of using blue iris on a PC.

My one challenge is I have never been able to get the blue iris app to notify me with motion detection on my cell phone (my phone may shut down the app or something). This is probably a good thing because the motion detection in blue iris is very primitive and gets triggered by too many things (bugs, shadows, trees, etc).

To complement blue iris I use ring POE cameras. The subscription is pricey, but the notification / motion sensing is very good. Fewer false alarms means I actually look at every notification.

I typically will get a notification from ring, and then I look at blue iris to monitor the motion. The blue iris UI shows all cameras simultaneously so you can watch seamlessly as someone moves between cameras. With the cloud based you typically look at one camera at a time.

BTW the recording of a crime is almost useless. In my neighborhood people are finding out their cars have been robbed and they have a grainy night time recording of a thief who is covering his face. The police rarely do anything even if the person is recognizable.

The #1 value for me is to get instant notifications and be able to immediately watch what is happening.

#17 ·
We've got a simple DVR system from Reolink. 5mp cameras.. expandable up to 8 cameras per DVR box... POE system so no WIFI.

When connected to the internet via ethernet cable, can access the cameras and the dvr system from anywhere including your phone.

Have had the system for ~6 months now and love it. Gives notifications to my phone if the cameras detect motion (can define the area yourself for each camera).

System cost was just under $400 and no monthly fee bs.

#19 ·
I am learning all the acronyms and I watched a very good youtube video by Tool Craze. I understand a lot more about the system now. Seems like most of the youtube videos are using Zmodo. Wondering now how to get the most- best features plus dependability. Ease of use might wind up being a big factor in my selection. Being able to fast forward and fast rewind when reviewing video should be a normal feature.

#20 ·
Found out that I had a distant relative in the security system business. He passed away. My son in law is bringing me a whole set up with cameras, wiring, NVR and the whole shooting match. Can hardly wait to see what it consists of tomorrow. One of his brothers was in the security system business so this should be a real good system. I have learned enough to do some of the basic setup. And the young folks in the family are pretty bright when it comes to technical stuff. So we should be able to get it to work. My wife says I have to put it together in the middle of the room and show her it works before she will let me run wires. I call her "YE OF LITTLE FAITH." LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.