Try that with your AR! - Page 18 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AR 15 in 6.5 grendel Vs AR 10 in 308 / 7.62x51 NHP1127 Military Weapons Forum 74 01-17-2018 01:08 PM
.308 AR feed ramp issues ColoradoMinuteMan Military Weapons Forum 28 11-20-2017 01:05 PM
Not an AR expert, a little help please SportShot Rifle Forum 16 03-31-2017 08:55 PM
Leupold 1.5-4x Help Please - VX-R Patrol vs VX-Hog vs AR Mod 1 thegoat Military Weapons Forum 4 03-08-2017 09:40 AM
AR uestions and mini 14 questions from CALIF JEEPEXPLORER Rifle Forum 36 12-21-2016 03:54 AM

Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,819 Times in 3,825 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
There are plenty of people who do that in a year. Year, after year. If they can afford it, and have the time, who cares? That's 2.5 cases a month. Hardly a difficult shooting schedule to achieve.
Comes out to 625 rounds a weekend...extend that out to every weekend for a year...after year after year...

I can see somebody shooting a couple of cases from time to time but year after year after year. Who are these people and do they need a life?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Comes out to 625 rounds a weekend...extend that out to every weekend for a year...after year after year...

I can see somebody shooting a couple of cases from time to time but year after year after year. Who are these people and do they need a life?
Any serious competition shooter will dwarf 30k a yr.

Anyone that runs a busy training company will easily shoot that.

Anyone who likes to shoot, and has the money and time to feed that love.

I average 14k rounds a year (based on receipts, and across the last 17 years), and that is with 2-3 range days a month, and 3-5 classes a year. That is the stuff I track for tax purposes. It does not include the free ammo I shoot over the course of a given year (about half of my 9mm and 5.56). I still work 70 hrs a week, go on vacation, take several motorcycle trips a year, go to the zoo with the kids several times a year, go camping, go to school events with the kids, work out, train in MA, hunt, etc. Living a good life, and still have no problem shooting a lot. In all honesty, probably 20k a year after everything is factored in. That could easily be upped, and will be after retirement, or if I wind up at the range permanently.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,058 Times in 4,485 Posts

Some of us shoot a lot and still have a life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Hunter

If you break down that number beyond a single 24-hr period, or beyond a single year, the numbers get far less impressive. If a gun can't be expected to last 30k rounds, it certainly can't be expected to be something you pass down to kids. At 2 cases a year, it won't even last 15 years. At a case a month, it'll last 2.5 years. I expect better of the guns I buy. And get it.

I know the average gun owner won't put a thousand rounds through a gun in their lifetime. If the quality needed to pass that bar is all you require, that's one thing. That's why some of us preach buying accordingly. If you know you are the average gun owner, a cheap whatever will serve you fine. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, at all. You buy what you need/want. For some people, they need/want a gun that will handle thousands of rounds a year, under bad conditions. Our military is one of those groups of people (certain units, anyway).

It's not a matter of elitism, it's not a matter of looking down your nose. When I retire, the likelihood of me getting into a gunfight will be significantly lower than it already is. The difference is, at that time, I won't be getting paid to go look for trouble. When that day comes, I realistically will not need a gun that will take sporadic cleaning after exposure to the elements, that will provide the same firing schedule I have now, or that can ride around in the trunk, being exposed to massive temperature swings/bouncing around. Now, I will still have the guns I bought to withstand that need, and I will probably still want similar guns.

But that is the joy of being 'Merican. We all get to decide for ourselves what to spend our money on. If you don't see a need, or even have the desire, it does not mean that others don't. It also means that your opinion holds no more weight than mine. To call something an obscene waste of ammo...well, that's one of those differences
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,068 Times in 4,484 Posts

Quote:
If you break down that number beyond a single 24-hr period, or beyond a single year, the numbers get far less impressive. If a gun can't be expected to last 30k rounds, it certainly can't be expected to be something you pass down to kids. At 2 cases a year, it won't even last 15 years. At a case a month, it'll last 2.5 years. I expect better of the guns I buy. And get it.

I know the average gun owner won't put a thousand rounds through a gun in their lifetime. If the quality needed to pass that bar is all you require, that's one thing. That's why some of us preach buying accordingly. If you know you are the average gun owner, a cheap whatever will serve you fine. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, at all. You buy what you need/want. For some people, they need/want a gun that will handle thousands of rounds a year, under bad conditions. Our military is one of those groups of people (certain units, anyway).

It's not a matter of elitism, it's not a matter of looking down your nose. When I retire, the likelihood of me getting into a gunfight will be significantly lower than it already is. The difference is, at that time, I won't be getting paid to go look for trouble. When that day comes, I realistically will not need a gun that will take sporadic cleaning after exposure to the elements, that will provide the same firing schedule I have now, or that can ride around in the trunk, being exposed to massive temperature swings/bouncing around. Now, I will still have the guns I bought to withstand that need, and I will probably still want similar guns.

But that is the joy of being 'Merican. We all get to decide for ourselves what to spend our money on. If you don't see a need, or even have the desire, it does not mean that others don't. It also means that your opinion holds no more weight than mine. To call something an obscene waste of ammo...well, that's one of those differences
Other than pistols, rimfires, and shotguns, what weapons are you consistently getting over 30,000 rounds of accurate barrel life from?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
Other than pistols, rimfires, and shotguns, what weapons are you consistently getting over 30,000 rounds of accurate barrel life from?
Barrels are like brake pads on a car. They're a wear item. I have one AR that is on its 4th barrel at 86k (changed about 6k rounds ago). I have another on the original barrel with 23k rounds on it, and no signs of needing a change.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Awesome

Thanked 22,874 Times in 7,582 Posts

barrels are a wear item, theyre one part that WILL have to be replace and on many rifles theyre a part youre not going to be able to replace.. if some shtf scenario lasted more than a few months and went into a couple years you'll be faced with having to replace it

most people havent a clue how to headspace or time a barrel, for these people they should buy an AR-15
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Survivor

Realistically, this having to worry about shooting a barrel out after the SHTF is a fantasy, dont you think?

Most people who might shoot them out now, are people who shoot a LOT more than the vast majority of shooters.

How many rounds are you planning on shooting in the years following the zombie apocalypse? Id be willing to bet, you wont get anywhere near needing to change out a barrel, and in the very remote chance that you did, Im sure if youre "that good" at surviving, there will be plenty available to you, along with all sorts of gear.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Realistically, this having to worry about shooting a barrel out after the SHTF is a fantasy, dont you think?

Most people who might shoot them out now, are people who shoot a LOT more than the vast majority of shooters.

How many rounds are you planning on shooting in the years following the zombie apocalypse? Id be willing to bet, you wont get anywhere near needing to change out a barrel, and in the very remote chance that you did, Im sure if youre "that good" at surviving, there will be plenty available to you, along with all sorts of gear.
For the most part yes, but, a lot fail to take into account that they might be pressed into service in what is left of the surviving Army. Or a Civil war before SHTF that eventually causes the S to HTF. Then there are gangs you might be absorbed into. Join or get your **** taken etc.

The M4s get their barrels replaced at 16k which is just before they start losing accuracy. Daniel Defense says the service life of their CHF barrels are 20k and Faxon says 15k for their Nitrided barrels. Maybe on the conservative side but by how much. Those numbers are also from using non bi-metal bullets, ie non steel cased.

There is also the fact that if there is a total collapse that goes on for a Long period of time, that younger generations may be using the same rifles you used. Eventually, those barrels will need replacing
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
barrels are a wear item, theyre one part that WILL have to be replace and on many rifles theyre a part youre not going to be able to replace.. if some shtf scenario lasted more than a few months and went into a couple years you'll be faced with having to replace it

most people havent a clue how to headspace or time a barrel, for these people they should buy an AR-15
In a long term scenario one would have bigger problems on their hands than replacing a worn out a barrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
In a long term scenario one would have bigger problems on their hands than replacing a worn out a barrel.
If your bigger problems involve hitting what you are aiming at, no, one would not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Quote:
If your bigger problems involve hitting what you are aiming at, no, one would not.
If things are to the point of organized training that allows for barrels being burned out, then I'd say shtf is pretty much over, and you can just call it Civil Wart pt. 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,874 Times in 7,582 Posts

Quote:
If things are to the point of organized training that allows for barrels being burned out, then I'd say shtf is pretty much over, and you can just call it Civil Wart pt. 2.
or a situation lasts longer than you anticipate, and youre also assuming your barrel is brand new to begin with.. since you dont know when a major event will occur the barrel currently on your rifle may be near the end of its service life when something happens.. bottom line is your barrel probably isnt going to be brand new when **** goes down
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
or a situation lasts longer than you anticipate, and youre also assuming your barrel is brand new to begin with.. since you dont know when a major event will occur the barrel currently on your rifle may be near the end of its service life when something happens.. bottom line is your barrel probably isnt going to be brand new when **** goes down
I bin trying to make that point too, not much listening. Its not like there's a barrel "Reset" button
Old 04-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Survivor

I understand things may not be brand new, but except for what I would say is, a fairly small percentage of shooters, "most" guns dont really get shot all that much.

Even guns that do, generally are still very serviceable, even past whats supposed to be their limit. I have a Colt SP1, that Ive been shooting regularly since 1974. I dont have an actual count on it, but I know its got to be better than 40,000 rounds through it, as Ive shot the crap out of it, especially early on, and multiple cases a month was not unusual. At 1000 rounds a year, Id be at 40,000. Im pretty sure Im well, well past that.

Now, would I pick it to be "the one and only"? Probably not. Would I be unhappy I had it? Not at all.

The other thing is, if its truly SHTF, other than all out war, whos really going to be shooting all that much? I mean really. People dont shoot that much now. What, they are all of a sudden going to be shooting so much that barrel wear is going be a worry then? Even years down the road, Im just not seeing it.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I understand things may not be brand new, but except for what I would say is, a fairly small percentage of shooters, "most" guns dont really get shot all that much.

Even guns that do, generally are still very serviceable, even past whats supposed to be their limit. I have a Colt SP1, that Ive been shooting regularly since 1974. I dont have an actual count on it, but I know its got to be better than 40,000 rounds through it, as Ive shot the crap out of it, especially early on, and multiple cases a month was not unusual. At 1000 rounds a year, Id be at 40,000. Im pretty sure Im well, well past that.

Now, would I pick it to be "the one and only"? Probably not. Would I be unhappy I had it? Not at all.

The other thing is, if its truly SHTF, other than all out war, whos really going to be shooting all that much? I mean really. People dont shoot that much now. What, they are all of a sudden going to be shooting so much that barrel wear is going be a worry then? Even years down the road, Im just not seeing it.
Ya think all the survivors are just gonna be cool with the next guy. You don't see La Raza trying to take the SW US and giving it back to Mehico, or more likely keeping it for themselves. KKK groups everywhere. Militias with nut jobs, again everywhere. Ferguson, Black Lives Matter groups...... etc

Tell me there wont be some barrels getting HOT
Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Something tells me that I likely won't burn over 2000 rounds when it goes down.

But let's ask another question...who the hell has 20K rounds of 5.56 or .308 on hand...who does not have a spare rifle setup for exactly your scenario?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
Ya think all the survivors are just gonna be cool with the next guy. You don't see La Raza trying to take the SW US and giving it back to Mehico, or more likely keeping it for themselves. KKK groups everywhere. Militias with nut jobs, again everywhere. Ferguson, Black Lives Matter groups...... etc

Tell me there wont be some barrels getting HOT
...and your barrel is going to get hot ONCE. When they come to take it from you to add to their armory. Something tells me it won't get worn out in that firefight, though.

...or you might join, and then you will be issued whatever, and you still won't be worried about it. Or do you think they will let the "new guy" keep his nice rifle while they run HiPoints?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
...and your barrel is going to get hot ONCE. When they come to take it from you to add to their armory. Something tells me it won't get worn out in that firefight, though.

...or you might join, and then you will be issued whatever, and you still won't be worried about it. Or do you think they will let the "new guy" keep his nice rifle while they run HiPoints?
And you know that because you have been in a firefight?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Survivor

How do you equate engaging in a firefight with survival? I truly have a hard time getting my head around that one.

Engaging in fire fights, tempts fate, and dramatically ups the odds that eventually a bullet will find you and well before you wear the barrel out on your rifle.

I firmly believe avoiding armed conflict is a sound survival strategy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post: