Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AR 15 in 6.5 grendel Vs AR 10 in 308 / 7.62x51 NHP1127 Military Weapons Forum 74 01-17-2018 01:08 PM
.308 AR feed ramp issues ColoradoMinuteMan Military Weapons Forum 28 11-20-2017 01:05 PM
? for big caliber AR shooters/owners ... Popeye Doyle Military Weapons Forum 30 12-30-2016 12:40 AM
AR uestions and mini 14 questions from CALIF JEEPEXPLORER Rifle Forum 36 12-21-2016 03:54 AM
First AR for the Mrs. RussianRifleMan Military Weapons Forum 20 10-13-2016 01:17 PM

Old 01-26-2017, 01:49 AM
Hiker

Default Not an AR expert, a little help please

Advertise Here

When I built my first AR it was a budget build which I completed for under $600. After shooting with it for the first time (which was a success), I had the AR bug and wanted better. I just finished another AR build and unlike the previous ones, this one did NOT operate flawlessly.

The problem I am having is after firing a round, the spent case ejects but fails to chamber the next round. I am suspecting the bolt is not being pushed back far enough to catch the next round. At the range, my first thought was perhaps a faulty mag, so I tried another, and another, with the same results. All the mags were Magpul Gen2 30rnd.

My next train of thought was a possible problem with the gas system or the buffer tube spring or even a combination of both. So here are the parts involved:

Buffer and tube are BCM
Upper is Aero Precision
BCG is also Aero Precision M16
Barrel is AR Stoner .223 Wylde 1:8 16"
Gas block is AR Stoner LR 308 low profile
Gas tube is DPMS mid length 308

I have triple checked that everything is properly assembled. I don't want to spend money trouble shooting (no pun intended) if someone already knows offhand what the problem is or what to start with. I'm thinking perhaps an adjustable gas block or maybe the spring is too strong and not allowing the bolt to slide all the way back? Like the title states, I'm no AR expert but I'm learning. Since I built my first one, I have enjoyed it like a hobby but still have much to learn.

Also, the ammo I was using was American Eagle .223 REM

Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 04:37 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,312 Times in 3,360 Posts

Sounds like the gas port is not lineed up, also check gas port. Had a guy bring me a new ar15 that there was a bur from where the gas port was drilled. The burr got pushed into to port.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Awesome

Thanked 22,850 Times in 7,578 Posts

burrs are not uncommon, take the gas block off, check the block and gas port for proper size and that there are no obstructions (like burrs) reassemble making sure everythings lined up properly and if you still have issues, since you are going with an M16 full weight carrier group and using a third party buffer its entirely possible that the combined weight of your bolt carrier group and buffer is too heavy and causing a short strike

its not enough to just say youre using a BCM buffer, but they sell buffers in various weights, do you know exactly which one you are using?
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Trapper

Im going with checking the alignment of the gas block of a burr from the gas port. Also make sure the port is the correct size.
The Following User Says Thank You to tackleberry2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,583 Times in 17,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportShot View Post
When I built my first AR it was a budget build which I completed for under $600. After shooting with it for the first time (which was a success), I had the AR bug and wanted better. I just finished another AR build and unlike the previous ones, this one did NOT operate flawlessly.

The problem I am having is after firing a round, the spent case ejects but fails to chamber the next round. I am suspecting the bolt is not being pushed back far enough to catch the next round. At the range, my first thought was perhaps a faulty mag, so I tried another, and another, with the same results. All the mags were Magpul Gen2 30rnd.

My next train of thought was a possible problem with the gas system or the buffer tube spring or even a combination of both. So here are the parts involved:

Buffer and tube are BCM
Upper is Aero Precision
BCG is also Aero Precision M16
Barrel is AR Stoner .223 Wylde 1:8 16"
Gas block is AR Stoner LR 308 low profile
Gas tube is DPMS mid length 308

I have triple checked that everything is properly assembled. I don't want to spend money trouble shooting (no pun intended) if someone already knows offhand what the problem is or what to start with. I'm thinking perhaps an adjustable gas block or maybe the spring is too strong and not allowing the bolt to slide all the way back? Like the title states, I'm no AR expert but I'm learning. Since I built my first one, I have enjoyed it like a hobby but still have much to learn.

Also, the ammo I was using was American Eagle .223 REM

Thanks

Do you mean these parts are meant for a .308 caliber?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 PM

Are you using a standard carbine weight buffer or one of the heavier H1, H2 or H3 varieties.

Does the bolt move smoothly in the upper without any unusual resistance? Move by hand in the upper with the bolt in and out of the BCG.

Try shooting with only one round in the mag so that the bolt locks open. Try this after you have eliminated other possible mechanical or assembly errors.

It does sound like a restriction/misalignment/undergassed in the gas system, drag on the bolt or too much mass.

Is the gas block the correct size for your barrel?

ETA: also make sure the gas key is tight on the BCG
The Following User Says Thank You to MK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

^this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to losing.daylight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 11:39 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,623 Posts

LR 308 gas block???? on a 223 barrel??? Just because it fits doesn't mean its compatible. Might or might not be the problem. Stoner parts have their own specs and it might not lined up front to back to allow enough gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2017, 01:38 AM

I am no AR expert myself but I do know enough that a rifle length gas system may have issues cycling a weak cartridge. You say mid-length but when I saw .308 gas block and tube, I'm thinking you don't have enough pressure building up to cycle the action. I could be wrong but I'm thinking those parts are meant for the AR10.
The Following User Says Thank You to rglong81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2017, 02:12 AM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 46,837 Times in 9,816 Posts

Seeing the .308 parts in a .223 caliber weapon kind of confused me as well. I know a decent amount about ARs but I'm no gunsmith, so I would only have two points to make before telling you to take it to a gunsmith, since you've already checked the mags and all that "immediate action" stuff.

1. You have .308 parts in a .223 caliber weapon. I'd start there.

2. Gas block issue is causing bolt to short stroke. You'll have to ID the issue yourself because I wouldn't be much help there.

I know that's all been said already but I honestly could only help you that much. The people on this forum have a great wealth of knowledge far beyond those two tidbits I just gave you. I think the thing that contributes to my own lack of troubleshooting knowledge with ARs is that all of the ARs I've ever handled performed very, very well. In fact, the only thing worth mentioning for me was that I had a M-16A2 in training in Arizona that didn't like to fire blanks! Consistent failure to feed, but that's common with blanks. All of the other ARs I've used were just great. That's why I'm sold on them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBryan314 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Hiker

Ok, so I removed the gas block and tube. I'm just going to pick up some different ones at my local gun shop. Not sure why I never made the obvious connection with 308 in the part number. I kinda feel stupid but now I learned something and continue to learn more about this platform all the time.

I am confident this will remedy the problem...if not, I'll be back

Thanks all
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SportShot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2017, 02:36 AM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,623 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportShot View Post
Ok, so I removed the gas block and tube. I'm just going to pick up some different ones at my local gun shop. Not sure why I never made the obvious connection with 308 in the part number. I kinda feel stupid but now I learned something and continue to learn more about this platform all the time.

I am confident this will remedy the problem...if not, I'll be back

Thanks all
Its ok to feel stupid when ya do somthin stupid. Just remember that no one, anywhere, hasn't done somthin stupid themselves.

This one time in Iraq, during a ambush, I was on the 50 cal shootin stuff when it ran out of ammo. As I was reloading, and holding the new belt on the feed tray, I slapped the feed tray cover down on my thumb. Felt pretty stupid right then.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM

No worries. Been married sixteen years and still can't remember my anniversary without counting on my fingers.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:02 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
1st thing that caught my eye,pretty sure .556 and .308 porting specs are different ?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:05 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
youre not getting the proper pressure curve ,, .308 parts , get 5.56 parts ,,sounds like youre short stroking
Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,068 Times in 4,484 Posts

This build sounds all sorts of squirrelly. Get a good barrel. Get an appropriate gas-block/tube. The BCG may or may not be GtG, swap it out and function test with one that is before you worry about it. Sounds like you have one, so that's a no-money and low-time task.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,070 Posts

You can't automatically fault AR Stoner stuff, it is just Midways private label branding. For instance, many of the AR Stoner labelled barrels are actually made by Liberty, hardly a no name player.

It is kind of the luck of the draw though, depends on what kind of a deal Midway is able to make, you just have to trust they get you good value for the money.