Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY edc first aid kit! jediyodac3po DIY - Do It Yourself 14 05-15-2014 09:27 AM
EDC History: Bronze Age EDC AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-05-2014 06:30 PM
Buck Spitfire EDC to replace Manix 2 EDC BOBtheBUTCHER Knives, Swords & Axes 5 04-01-2014 11:33 PM
EDC History: Henry David Thoreau?s EDC AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-06-2014 12:30 PM
First aid for the EDC/GHB smoke63b Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 06-15-2013 09:08 PM
Nice Compact First Aid kit for EDC? Tripletap187 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-26-2013 06:48 PM
My EDC, not GHB or BOB, just EDC SharpDog Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 01-26-2013 08:19 AM
New File Added: US Army Self Aid, Buddy Aid philip-in-oregon Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 11-01-2011 11:49 PM
Air Force Self Aid and Buddy care(First Aid) training. Antwan23 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 06-29-2011 09:40 AM

Old 03-31-2016, 11:33 AM
Hiker

Advertise Here

I keep one in my EDC/GHB, off the top of my head I know it has 2 kerlix, 2 cravat, halo seal, roll of duck tape, bottle of iodine, dextro, epipen, atropine injector. Ideally enough to get me home from the city if I get shot, stabbed or gassed.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to souldier66 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 11:46 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,877 Times in 20,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldier66 View Post
I keep one in my EDC/GHB, off the top of my head I know it has 2 kerlix, 2 cravat, halo seal, roll of duck tape, bottle of iodine, dextro, epipen, atropine injector. Ideally enough to get me home from the city if I get shot, stabbed or gassed.
Dextro... what is the rest of the name? methorphan? Cough medicine?
Just curious. What would this be for? smoke inhalation?
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,864 Times in 9,285 Posts

I carry several bandages of different sizes in my wallet, but I am going to put together a Altoids kit with more extensive items. I do have a full FAK in the BOV also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,189 Times in 4,166 Posts

As most of my daily trips out are dog walks, I've got a shop brought kits with extras like saline, scissors, tweezers, vet wrap, etc. It all goes in the organiser bag on the handle. I also carry a small survival kit, flashlight and lighter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,026 Times in 356 Posts

Yes, I have a Swiss Gear Rucksack that has an attached FAK on the shoulder strap. It can be removed and attached to a belt loop.

1 Israeli Battle Bandage
20 various sized band aids
1 Bottle of superglue gel
1 Bottle hand sanitizer
5 Assorted Sizes of Gauze
1 Roll of tape
2 Tie offs
Some very basic OTC's, I don't have any medical conditions and usually stay away from OTC's unless I am really miserable.

Fingernail clippers with tweezers that slide out of them.

I have a 3M 6500 respirator carabiner clipped to the side of my bag and the filters are in a smaller zippered pocket. I actually use this pretty often at work so it definitely doesn't look out of place.

Our vehicles have much larger kits, my wife is a nurse and my best friend is a paramedic so we have created some pretty extensive kits that we all brainstormed over beers over the course of a couple weekends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazinth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Dextro... what is the rest of the name? methorphan? Cough medicine?
Just curious. What would this be for? smoke inhalation?
It's short for dextroamphetamine, aka go pills. I have trouble sleeping (2-4 hours most nights) so after 3-4 days of sleep depravity I turn into a zombie of sorts and pretty much pass out early that 3rd or 4th night and reset. I would pop one of these if SHTF on that day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to souldier66 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 PM
Target Shooter

Couple band aids in wallet, and a bandana in back pocket. Bag that goes to and from work( fire LT ) has more and so does car . The kit from work bag goes into range bag and hunting pack whe doing those things .
Old 03-31-2016, 03:12 PM

I carry a small pack of Wound Seal, bandaids, neosporin, q-tips, sterile wipes, neproxin sodium, advil, and various small gauze patches in a ziplock bag inside my EDC Maxpedition Micro pocket organizer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spherik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 03:28 PM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 46,822 Times in 9,816 Posts

OP, I do not carry any first aid on my person, because the only first aid I could carry without being unreasonably burdened is something like a few 4x4 pads and some bandaids. My first aid kit that I carry in my vehicle has those things, plus a tourniquet and some pressure bandages, scissors, tape, eye coverings, etc. I also have a CPR mask in the BOB.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBryan314 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 04:26 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,059 Posts

For all those that are saying they will make a tourniquet, do yourselves a favor and spend the $15 or $20 on a CAT or SOF-T. They are military grade, its what we use on the ambulance and it WILL save your life. Makeshift tourniquets are generally inadequate, difficult to make and secure, and take alot of time to assemble compared to a commercial TQ that is ready to rock. Its something that is easy to carry, cheap and WILL save your life. Just my .02 as a paramedic
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ranger375 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 04:42 PM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
For all those that are saying they will make a tourniquet, do yourselves a favor and spend the $15 or $20 on a CAT or SOF-T. They are military grade, its what we use on the ambulance and it WILL save your life. Makeshift tourniquets are generally inadequate, difficult to make and secure, and take alot of time to assemble compared to a commercial TQ that is ready to rock. Its something that is easy to carry, cheap and WILL save your life. Just my .02 as a paramedic
I was going to say this as well as the thread progressed, and for everyone that doesn't have a TQ in their kit, you need to get at least 1, better 2 or more. Hell I have 6 on my plate carrier/FAK setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to kelynn15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 5,786 Times in 1,950 Posts
Default I'm Going To Take This Advice, Plus Get a Little (More) Education...

Quote:
on the proper use of tourniquets. I think the protocols have changed somewhat since I got the first aid badge in Girl Scouts (!); they have cautioned against it in subsequent courses. I would really hate to take a bad situation and make it worse for someone. The road to hell is paved with good intentions...etc.

Still on the airport/subway type urban bombing scenario (because this is vexing me right now), it sounds to me like a person could add just 4x4 pads or an Israeli bandage plus a CAT tourniquet to an urban EDC, and significantly improve one's trauma capabilities with minimal bulk and weight. The ankle carry idea might work fine for me, even going thru airport security. What do you EMT people think? What would be your top 3 items? And what training would be most useful to laymen for those urban mayhem situations?

I do also have a very compact little rescue breathing mask I have trained on, but I have been lazy about carrying it. I think I also have some plastic scissors and tweezers somewhere that would be TSA-friendly...but are they any good?

Any comments/stories from people as to the value of carrying these things every day around subways and airports? I guess you only have to use them once to be glad you lugged the darn stuff around. (I've posted before about that infamous time in Nicaragua when my rental truck caught on fire in the middle of nowhere. After carrying fire extinguishers in all my vehicles for almost 40 years, of course my extinguishers were safe in the garage at home. If it's not there when you need it, it's not there at all.)
The Following User Says Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
What good is a tourniquet ATSHTF? A tourniquet is only to get you to an emergency facility, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 PM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,174 Times in 551 Posts

What do you edc first aid wise?
** Typical First Aide Kit

What small lightweight first aid items could I start carrying?
** Anything that reasonably fits in your pocket or bag.

How do you carry your first aid items?
** In a Jeep, in the storage area under the cargo area.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Medic

A tourniquet is #1 period. There are many accidents that could happen aside from terror attacks or shootings they are useful. And think about it this way, it is THE only thing in your first aid kid that will literally save your life. If you have nothing else have a tourniquet and know how to use it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kelynn15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 PM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
What good is a tourniquet ATSHTF? A tourniquet is only to get you to an emergency facility, right?
No, we can remove them in the field/loosen in certain circumstances here in the states as well as overseas. We weren't only discussing complete shtf were were discussing EDC. But they are worth having for both.

I will expand in a bit about the myth of tourniquets if no one else does, not enough time atm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelynn15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelynn15 View Post
No, we can remove them in the field/loosen in certain circumstances here in the states as well as overseas. We weren't only discussing complete shtf were were discussing EDC. But they are worth having for both.

I will expand in a bit about the myth of tourniquets if no one else does, not enough time atm.
Please do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 09:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,321 Times in 981 Posts

There is almost nothing you need to carry for basic first aid besides a knife, (with which you can quickly make a variety of things), and a micro-shield, (for CPR).

While having sterile products is nice, (and my home and vehicle kits are super well stocked), for EDC you can use anything on hand. Most people are wearing clothes; often a belt and maybe shoelaces. And it's probably the case that you can strip off part of a shirt of whatever for a basic bandage and pressure dressing or for a tourniquet. Creating triangular bandages and slings / swaths may be a bit harder, but the only truly life threatening stuff for which you'd need basic first aid gear is bleeding control or a micro-shield for CPR. (Yes, of course there's other useful gear, but this topic is EDC first aid. Chances are no one is going to be putting full airway kits or traction splints in their cargo pockets.)

So, for EDC first aid, the thing that's most important is not gear at all. It's knowing goals and objectives. Basic bleeding control is same as it ever was; direct pressure, elevation, pressure point, tourniquet if necessary. Bone breaks? Immobilize broken bone ends and adjacent joints. Etc. etc. etc. If you know WHAT to do, the gear is all just convenience. The one exception to this is really the micro shield as you just don't want to do rescue breaths on anyone without a safety barrier; and the probability / cost of weight to carry, etc. is pretty good. (These things are maybe 1" square packages that hook to a keychain.)

The other NotYourEDC thing you can do is just be aware of what's available in your environment. When you happen to be going through a workplace, do you notice where the kit is on the wall? Where the eye wash station is if they have one? Where a water fountain is? In any major city, there's going to be a drugstore within a few blocks.

Again... goals and objectives are the best things to be aware of. You may quickly find that there's a whole lot of different tools and techniques you can use to accomplish them.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,500 Times in 5,381 Posts

Nope, I don't EDC a FAK. I keep one in the BOB, and a better one in the van.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:55 PM
Trapper

Bandanna, cordage, occasional napkins on me.
First aid kit in the truck and GHB