Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY edc first aid kit! jediyodac3po DIY - Do It Yourself 14 05-15-2014 09:27 AM
EDC History: Bronze Age EDC AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-05-2014 06:30 PM
Buck Spitfire EDC to replace Manix 2 EDC BOBtheBUTCHER Knives, Swords & Axes 5 04-01-2014 11:33 PM
EDC History: Henry David Thoreau?s EDC AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-06-2014 12:30 PM
First aid for the EDC/GHB smoke63b Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 06-15-2013 09:08 PM
Nice Compact First Aid kit for EDC? Tripletap187 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-26-2013 06:48 PM
My EDC, not GHB or BOB, just EDC SharpDog Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 01-26-2013 08:19 AM
New File Added: US Army Self Aid, Buddy Aid philip-in-oregon Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 11-01-2011 11:49 PM
Air Force Self Aid and Buddy care(First Aid) training. Antwan23 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 06-29-2011 09:40 AM

Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 PM
Future Survivor

Default Do you EDC first aid?

Advertise Here

I was wondering if anyone else kept basic first aid equipment on their person at all times?

I personally carry:
x2 4x4 12 ply gauze pads
x1 2x2 8 ply gauze pad
x3 standard sized band aids

I carry these things in a cargo pocket in a small folding note pad thing, like you would see a detective write notes in.

Most people, when they talk about their EDC, talk about their gun, knife, multi-tool, flashlight, key chain, and 12 use credit card knife thing, among others. But I have never heard anyone say anything about first aid! I end up using one of the band aids about once every 2 or 3 months, and I have never had to use one of the gauze pads, but I always feel better knowing that I have that capability.

What do you edc first aid wise?
What small lightweight first aid items could I start carrying?
How do you carry your first aid items?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric M For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 12:20 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,842 Times in 545 Posts

I'm a klutz, have kids and work with more kids... So, yeah, I carry a first aid kit ALWAYS!

I have a very small 1st aid box ( a pre-made travel sized kit that I emptied and restocked), about 3"x2"X1". Box is small enough it doesn't take up too much space in my purse, hard plastic case is sturdy & somewhat water resistant which is important (see above klutziness & kids).

Box holds two pairs of latex gloves, alcohol wipes, a few 2x2 gauze pads, small tube of neosporin & band-aids in several sizes. In the past 6 months or so, I have used & restocked my kit multiple times.

The latest incident showed that I also need some tape and a couple larger/thicker gauze pads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 AM
Medic

Not on my person. Midsized FAK in my truck, and a tourniquet in my EDC bag which is always within reach. TQ's in range bags etc, FAK on hiking pack as well.

I prepare for the biggest potential need as most convenient and step down from there. Have to run to truck for bandaids or what have you it's fine that it will take a minute or two, if you need a TQ? Not so much.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kelynn15 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 12:56 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,982 Times in 9,091 Posts

I keep a few band-aids in my wallet. Have a finger cleaner, batadine wipe and an alcohol prep pad, needle and thread. Yep has a signal mirror and a multi-card too.

Been a cpr first aide trained person for 45 years. I need to renew my training again.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:30 AM
Bushidoka

Thanked 5,786 Times in 1,950 Posts
Default Funny You Should Ask...These Recent Bombings Have Got Me Thinking...

Although I have various FAK's at home, in the vehicles, in my luggage when I travel, and a "no sharps" version in my carry-on, I realize my EDC has barely anything first-aid related beyond moleskin, tweezers, and a few meds.

When I think of what I would have on me in an airport or subway bombing, I don't like the answer at all. Besides my EDC I would usually also have water, miniflashlight, scarf, jacket and hat, but once in the airport heading for security, there goes the water and tweezers with my SAK.

Over the years I have been beefing up what I carry when I travel, so once my luggage is checked I still have in my carry-on: nitrile gloves, N95 mask, eye protection, Lidocaine & antibacterial spray, babywipes, zip ties, water filter, some gauze and a few odds and ends. But decidedly short on things for trauma and airway.

Some good warzone-tested suggestions over on the Afganistan thread. I'm re-thinking my list now, though, and I'm interested in hearing what others are doing to keep a light, agile, slightly trauma-ready and TSA-friendly FAK close at hand.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,267 Times in 20,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambos lados View Post
Although I have various FAK's at home, in the vehicles, in my luggage when I travel, and a "no sharps" version in my carry-on, I realize my EDC has barely anything first-aid related beyond moleskin, tweezers, and a few meds.

When I think of what I would have on me in an airport or subway bombing, I don't like the answer at all. Besides my EDC I would usually also have water, miniflashlight, scarf, jacket and hat, but once in the airport heading for security, there goes the water and tweezers with my SAK.

Over the years I have been beefing up what I carry when I travel, so once my luggage is checked I still have in my carry-on: nitrile gloves, N95 mask, eye protection, Lidocaine & antibacterial spray, babywipes, zip ties, water filter, some gauze and a few odds and ends. But decidedly short on things for trauma and airway.

Some good warzone-tested suggestions over on the Afganistan thread. I'm re-thinking my list now, though, and I'm interested in hearing what others are doing to keep a light, agile, slightly trauma-ready and TSA-friendly FAK close at hand.
This is why I constantly say that the Bill of Rights needs to apply at airports and on planes. Why do your rights suddenly dissapear when you pass by security? Nobody should be forced to make themselves so vulnerable in the normal course of travelling. Planes crash, Terrorists attack, people simply get sick or hurt while travelling. Why are we required to divest ourselves of any and all equipment that can aid our survival? It ain't right!

Regarding the OP topic. I don't EDC medical stuff other than a small container with BP medicine, aspirin, Benedryl and Naproxin. But the Get home bag in each vehicle has a first aid kit, each vehicle has a trauma kit.

Also have a real nice ultralight first aid kit from Adventure medical that goes in a pocket when going for a walk. But not for EDC. I think it is called the .6 . I of course customized it a bit. Added tweezers with built in mag glass, matches, needle, floss, neosporin, benedryl, signal mirror, button compass. A few other things I can't remember. The bag itself is awesome.

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight... cover
Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 AM

yes, a trauma kit. one in my truck and one in the wife's car.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:29 AM
OTP Rebel

A bandanna may be used as a hanky,mask or tourniquet
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Suburbanivalist

Range bag: IFAK for TC3;

Back pack (EDC): IFAK for TC3 and the usual first aid stuff (bandaids, aspirin, neosporin, etc.);

Trunk of car: MASCAS backpack.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 AM

I always have both a trauma kit and basic first aid kit in the car.

I am a plain clothes cop, and often carry a combat applications tourniquet, two SWAT-T tourniquet/compression wraps, HALO seal, combat gauze, and trauma shears in an ankle carrier when on duty.

When appropriate, I wear a plate carrier that has trauma gear on it.

When appropriate on military duty, I use the regular kit.

I also tailor gear to what I am doing-- at a shooting range, or using a chainsaw, for example. At large, high profile events, I often carry the ankle rig, and started doing that after the Boston bombing.

I don't normally EDC medical stuff, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to thug hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 AM

Each car of ours has a cheapo First-Air kit from Walgreens beefed up with some additional supplies: Nitrile gloves, N95 Masks, Uncle Bills Tweezers. Of course more aspirin and bandages shoved in there as well. Small flashlights. The bandaids get used the most along with the aspirin and tweezers, so I would consider those must haves.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Nobody should be forced to make themselves so vulnerable in the normal course of travelling. Planes crash, Terrorists attack, people simply get sick or hurt while travelling. Why are we required to divest ourselves of any and all equipment that can aid our survival? It ain't right!
Because the plane is private property and the conditions the owners of said plane impose on you while you are on their property supersede your rights
Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 AM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
Do you EDC first aid?
I carry a pocket knife, in case I have to amputate my arm. That counts,right?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 AM
People Are Not Good

Thanked 6,975 Times in 2,210 Posts

I have maybe four to five bandages in my wallet at all times. In my backpack that I take to work has a first aid kit. There is one in my car to.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAmmo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,048 Times in 446 Posts

I keep a blow out kit in my backpack (that I have with me daily for work laptop etc) and I also have one in my truck.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,267 Times in 20,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
Because the plane is private property and the conditions the owners of said plane impose on you while you are on their property supersede your rights
Nope. The federal TSA does the illegal search and seizures, not the airlines.
And air travel is not optional for most people if they want to eat.

Consent obtained under coercion is not consent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Target Shooter

On person, an OB tampon (sealed, waterproof, size of a .38 bullet), and few feet of duct tape around a credit card. Could be use to plug a bullet hole, or unraveled with tape, as a bandage. Also my fire starter tinder, emergency water filter, etc. Bandana and some 550 paracord too.

In my EDC bag, a flask of 190 grain alcohol (antiseptic/sterilizer, stove fuel, solvent/cleaner, dehydrated vodka, etc), Vaseline, and mini first aid kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to reppans For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,109 Times in 2,682 Posts

I have a pretty good med kit in my get home/emergency bag but nothing on me all the time/edc .
My GHB is never far away though .
Old 03-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Master Mason

Thanked 5,977 Times in 1,748 Posts

I have FAK's in every bag and a my main medical bag, but I do carry a small blow out kit EDC. Because of a medical condition and medication, I have to stop bleeding immediately. I have a hemorrhage specific kit in the vehicle that I call the Don't Bleed to Death Kit. It has compression pads, tape, band aids, Kwik clot, black pepper etc. all to stop the most minor cuts
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,094 Posts

Box of 4x4, 2x2, roll of tape, box of assorted sizes of bandaids, alcohol pads, witch hazel in small travel bottle, tweezers. That's EDC.My main FAK is a rolling duffer from Walmart with just about everything you would need in it. Goes on all trips longer than 1 hour.