Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,176 Posts
Angry 3M Electrical Tape Not Like It Used To Be.

Advertise Here

Just wanted to post a consumer-alert.

I use lots of electrical tape in my business. 3M 88T "Telephone" tape has always been the Cadillac of tapes.

Recently, I purchased a bulk pack of 3M 88T tape. Every single roll is defective!! The adhesive comes off the tape when unrolling it, sticking to the top of the next layer of tape. You can't even turn it around and use it backwards, as the adhesive just comes off the top side too.

I sent an email to 3M customer service, which promises a 2 day response. Its been a week now. Either 3M quality has issues, or counterfeit tape is out there. Either way, very disappointed in 3M's lack of response.

Just A heads-up to be aware of. If you stockpile electrical tape, you might bust out a roll and test it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,874 Times in 9,059 Posts

Way back in the 70's I bought a case of Scotch 90 minute real to real tape. They were mislabeled 60 minute ones. I wrote them a nice letter with lot numbers, date and place of purchase. Nothing. Weeks later wrote them a nasty letter about being ripped off by 50% and how will like the head lines in newspaper Scotch Tape Plugs up the Sewer. Shortly after that I got a new case of Scotch tape in the proper size.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 PM

Dunno if you can get it in the USA, but Nitto electrical tape for me has always been the best I could find. Not cheap, but great product.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,540 Times in 588 Posts

Dont know where you bought this tape, but some of my AMAZON stuff is questionable. I wonder how they check the quality of everything they sell un der their banner.
As to electrical tape, I have not found any either in last 10 years that seems better than others. Seems none of it sticks like it used to. I have even resorted to tie straps at end poinbt to help hold it on for deuration. Also, some 3m glues and adhesives are definately not meeting my expectations, and this is stuff bought at reputable local places like autozone, grainger, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,149 Times in 3,904 Posts

Exposure to high temps will cause that. Don't leave it in the truck in the Texas summer heat, thrust me on this one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,056 Times in 20,785 Posts

That would be the first time I have ever heard of a 3M quality problem.

I have always been impressed by their quality (and high prices).

3M 5200 marine sealant, electrical tape, respirators have all been superb quality in my experience.

For sure if it sat in a hot car, that's on you. Although I always have a couple rolls of tape melting in my vehicles. Half melted tape is still better than nothing if you need the stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:39 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 17,175 Times in 3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
Dont know where you bought this tape, but some of my AMAZON stuff is questionable. I wonder how they check the quality of everything they sell under their banner.
Amazon does not check the quality of anything sold on their site, except for possible items labeled with their brand AmazonBasics. Almost all products, even those shipped by Amazon, are produced by 3rd parties. Sellers frequently warehouse their inventory at Amazon and Amazon ships their orders.

Both Amazon and eBay are loaded with counterfeit products. A wide range of products have been counterfeited by the Chinese.

I read an article where the author claimed that 80% of all DVDs sold on Amazon were counterfeit. Other articles claimed that special rechargeable batteries sold for camcorders were counterfeit. Nothing is safe from the counterfeiters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,245 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Exposure to high temps will cause that. Don't leave it in the truck in the Texas summer heat, thrust me on this one.
Was gonna say the same thing. Curious if it was exposed to high temps during transport or stored poorly before being shipped.

Very likely a temp issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr4btTahoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,176 Posts

I know about the extended heat issue with some tape, but these were all brand new. I have other rolls of 3m 88T in my work van that are 10 years old and do not have that problem, just this new stuff.

What's most surprising is 3m's lack of response.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Counterfeit?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-88-Super-3...ustomerReviews
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,720 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
That would be the first time I have ever heard of a 3M quality problem.

I have always been impressed by their quality (and high prices).

3M 5200 marine sealant, electrical tape, respirators have all been superb quality in my experience.

For sure if it sat in a hot car, that's on you. Although I always have a couple rolls of tape melting in my vehicles. Half melted tape is still better than nothing if you need the stuff.
Me too. While I do not use their electrical tape I use other products. I have never had a quality problem. Can not say what happened in the OP's situation but I would not quit on them so quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to PoorRichard05 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Why would you use electrical tape when you have shrink tubing and/or liquid electrical tape? Hmm....

I stopped using electrical tape when it got too firm. The old stuff would stretch really well and allow you to have a good seal.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Why would you use electrical tape when you have shrink tubing and/or liquid electrical tape? Hmm....

I stopped using electrical tape when it got too firm. The old stuff would stretch really well and allow you to have a good seal.
I have been using the dirt cheap Harbor Freight electrical tape in the last few years. Good stuff. Nice and stretchy and 10 rolls for a couple bucks. And when it melts in a hot car, it's no biggie.

I am of the other opinion. When I have decent electrical tape, why would I use anything else? I solder wires then apply the electrical tape while it is still warm. It wraps and seals very well.

I don't have the boat anymore, so don't really do much in the way of solding wired together anymore. When I had the boat I was alway installing some new electrical equipment, (radios, autopilot, lights, fans, bilge blower, bilge pumps, potable water pump etc.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,071 Times in 436 Posts

The only problem I have is when tape gets old. It does as you described. I use 35 for color ID wires. Then the ultimate Super 33 for a good wrap. I dont think it has changed. In more recent years, been buying a lot of the cheap 3M and generic brand bulk rolls. Works great for general use. That is if the rolls havent spent too much time suffering in the heat.

I do remember in years past a lot of the import stuff was just plain junk. But so much better now.
The Following User Says Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 1,135 Times in 337 Posts

I used to order alot of things from Amazon. Until counterfeit items started arriving. Or items that had been long since discontinued by the original manufacturer. NOS from the OEM. Desirable in items like car parts, but not so much in other items.

Now when you go to Amazon and enter a search, most of what comes up is direct from China. They have gone the way of Ebay.

Might as well call it China-zon now. Most of it extremely low quality crap. I'm now back to having to break my hermitage and go shopping in brick and mortar retailers again. In public, with the hordes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 02:49 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,353 Times in 7,138 Posts

If not "counterfeit"? (which it may be).

I suspect it got very very hot during transport or storage, which caused it to loose its quality & effectiveness.

I have used various 3M electrical tapes for decades, without issues.

But, we store, treat & transport it like perishable FOOD, clean, dry & COOL.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:03 AM

Bit of a worry if it cannot stand being hot without the adhesive degrading, as in normal summer ambient hot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 06:22 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,149 Times in 3,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Bit of a worry if it cannot stand being hot without the adhesive degrading, as in normal summer ambient hot.
What is normal? In my white work truck cab parked in the sun yesterday it was 145 in the cab. In my black personal SUV partially in the shade the 160 degree utility thermometer tucked in the visor was pegged.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 AM

Tape temperature rating guide.

The cheap stuff is good for 176 deg F.

premium stuff for hgher temps up to 220 def F. Scotch Super 33 or 88

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/electric...lection-guide/

If a counterfeiter sold you some general quality stuff in a premium box, then perhaps that explains your experience.

What exactly they mean by these temperature ratings, I don't know. I think any tape left in a hot vehicle cabin for a hot summer will be a gooey mess when you try to use it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 08:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,912 Times in 7,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
Just wanted to post a consumer-alert.

I use lots of electrical tape in my business. 3M 88T "Telephone" tape has always been the Cadillac of tapes.

Recently, I purchased a bulk pack of 3M 88T tape. Every single roll is defective!! The adhesive comes off the tape when unrolling it, sticking to the top of the next layer of tape. You can't even turn it around and use it backwards, as the adhesive just comes off the top side too.

I sent an email to 3M customer service, which promises a 2 day response. Its been a week now. Either 3M quality has issues, or counterfeit tape is out there. Either way, very disappointed in 3M's lack of response.

Just A heads-up to be aware of. If you stockpile electrical tape, you might bust out a roll and test it.
Take it back to where you purchased it. Sounds like a manufacturing defect.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post: