Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,494 Posts
Default Anyone have a S&W M&P15-22?

Advertise Here

Just picked one of these up the other day, and so far, its been more or less, a nonfunctioning POS.

Lots of extraction and feeding issues, trigger not resetting, and on occasion, some doubling/tripling issues.

Guns been cleaned and lubed well before and after shooting it.

Tried three different brands of ammo that I have around here, Winchester Super X, CCI Mini Mags, and CCI Stingers, and all of them seem to run about the same. Or I should say, dont run about the same.

Tried calling S&W, but it seems they all went home early for the weekend.

Looking around on the S&W forum, seems they have a spotty record. Looks like Im paying now for not taking a breath and looking into them closer before I grabbed my wallet.

When it shoots, its pretty accurate. It came with a 2x7 Nikon "P - Rimfire" scope on it, but I took that off and put an Aimpoint on it.

Once I got it zeroed, it was shooting half dollar groups at 50 yards with a 4moa dot. Just a lot of fiddling between shots.

Anyone else had any similar problems with them?

On a more positive note, picked up a 4" S&W 422 at the same time, and it works and shoots great.

Always thought they were a bit goofy, but I got the two together for a pretty good price, and figured Id give it a try. Happy with it.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,589 Times in 7,130 Posts

I have a 15-22, not a single problem. I got it used, it’s the older version with quad rail fore end. Most of what I hear is totally positive, but when they are bad...it seems they are all bad.

The 422 is a great pistol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,828 Times in 669 Posts

If they fix it for you, everything will be as right as rain. The problems were from early on and haven't really been redesigned. Your issue will be the bolt itself. If you get one that shoots, its a lot of fun. Get one that is being a little bitch and you will want to chuck that entire rifle out the door.

I have one without a problem, but it is hit or miss. I have no idea what exactly is the issue with the bolt, only that it is the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tdog02 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Survivor

Looks like I have the extraction thing figured out, the extractor, spring, and plunger are missing. Im thinking thats probably the issue there.

Just ordered them so will see how that goes.

Still not sure about the trigger issue. Im going to give it a good flush and lube, ans see if that doesnt straighten it out. That always seemed to work with my AR7's.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,589 Times in 7,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Looks like I have the extraction thing figured out, the extractor, spring, and plunger are missing. Im thinking thats probably the issue there.

Still not sure about the trigger issue. Im going to give it a good flush and lube, ans see if that doesnt straighten it out. That always seemed to work with my AR7's.
I think I see yer problem!

As to the trigger, it’s just a normal AR type trigger, you can mix and and match with any regular milspec parts. Is it maybe not the OEM?
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Survivor

The trigger group looks to be original.

I flushed it out good and got some more crap out. I dont see anything looking out of the norm. Maybe I was milking it, but thats usually not a problem. Ill see how it goes once I get it back together.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,230 Times in 2,658 Posts

It's a S&W M&P AR. It's like the Chevy Citation of AR's. I honestly don't know why anyone would buy one when you could build a better one for less or get a Springfield Saint with 6 Pmags & a case for a few bucks more than the S&W. I guess it's a 22, but even at that, I'd rather just get the conversion kit. I have one I built for my girls as a regular AR, but just added the conversion kit. Works feeds most ammo, a few it won't eat though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Now that you mention it, it does make more sense.

But you know how it is when youre there, and they are calling your name.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Ive always been a tad skittish about the conversions. The majority of those Ive shot, werent the best, and tended to be problematical, and a bit expensive for what they are.

My buddy has had one of the early Ciener kits on an old M16 for a long time now, and that one works great, even in FA. But I know others who bought the exact same thing, based on shooting his, and they werent happy at all.

My brother had a couple for his Glocks, and they didnt work well either. Sounds like if you get one that works, be happy.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:36 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Can a guy swap out the BCG in one of those dedicated 22LR platforms & shoot 223/5.56? If so,then maybe they are a better deal, even if they don't work too good. I know some conversion kits can be problematic, but I don't think most are as problematic as that dedicated one is. Most people don't want the AR with a conversion kit cause they buy or build it with a 1:7 twist, shoot the lightest fastest bullet they can find in 22LR then complain about accuracy. I got a 1:10 (would've preferred a 1:12/14) twist & the lightest bullets I shoot through it are 36 grains but also a lot of 40 grain. For plinking at 10-25 yards which is why I built it, it's more than accurate enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Survivor

No, the M&P 15-22's are their own critter. They are basically all plastic and no provision for a buffer or spring.

They are noticeably lighter than your standard AR too.

Im not even sure that you can put the upper on a standard lower. Ill have to give that a try.

If that works, it would probably be the way to go though, if you can in fact just get the upper, and just use the 15-22 mags.

Then again, S&W would have probably done that.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Survivor

Just tried it. They dont match up.

Does anyone make a dedicated 22 upper for a standard AR? The more I think about it, it would be the way to go.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Prepared

This MP22 sounds like a lemon. Invoke the warranty. I have one and have not had any of these kinds of problems.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edprof For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Survivor

Im going to put the extractor in and see how it goes. If not, Ill call S&W and see what they say.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 59,599 Times in 19,336 Posts

Quote:

Does anyone make a dedicated 22 upper for a standard AR? The more I think about it, it would be the way to go.
Yes, several.

I've had pretty good luck with conversion units however.
Might try one that uses black dog mags
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,153 Times in 3,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
I guess it's a 22, but even at that, I'd rather just get the conversion kit. I have one I built for my girls as a regular AR, but just added the conversion kit. Works feeds most ammo, a few it won't eat though.
Cool.
Does it weigh more than 4.5#?
How often do you have to clean the bullet residue from the gas tube?
How about the accuracy with the .223 soft lead bullets in a barrel designed for .224 diameter bullets?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-1...ber_multi=2026
Old 08-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 20,027 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:

Was this bought new? Because if so, S&W will send those to you no charge under warranty.
I have one, and it's been pretty darn reliable. Some early ammo related issues, but a good cleaning and lube (esp the mags) and it's very reliable since.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Cool.
Does it weigh more than 4.5#?
How often do you have to clean the bullet residue from the gas tube?
How about the accuracy with the .223 soft lead bullets in a barrel designed for .224 diameter bullets?
You mean the ones that mic out from .223 to .226? Yeah, they work great in all my 22's. I pretty much also mainly shoot copper plated in all my 22LR stuff. They have all worked great & the gas tube cleans out just like it does with 223/5.56. I Have never weighed it, but as it's not going to be something to be carried on a road march or maneuvers through the bush, I'm not too worried about it, probably weighs about 8 pounds though. I'm sure that's too heavy for you, but my girls don't struggle with it. I also suppose you figure since 22LR & 22mag have an advertised difference of .001 that all those guns that can shoot both of those calibers are real inaccurate too huh?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
You mean the ones that mic out from .223 to .226? Yeah, they work great in all my 22's. I pretty much also mainly shoot copper plated in all my 22LR stuff. They have all worked great & the gas tube cleans out just like it does with 223/5.56. I Have never weighed it, but as it's not going to be something to be carried on a road march or maneuvers through the bush, I'm not too worried about it, probably weighs about 8 pounds though. I'm sure that's too heavy for you, but my girls don't struggle with it. I also suppose you figure since 22LR & 22mag have an advertised difference of .001 that all those guns that can shoot both of those calibers are real inaccurate too huh?
Naw, the weight don't bother me, your snark aside. It does bother young'uns when they try to pick up the 12 pound 24" long barreled prairie dog AR or the 20" HBAR. Yeah, A 80 pound 12 year old is going to be able to learn to shoot off hand with either of those two comfortably. She shot a brick through the M&P-15 22 and was looking for more.

It is not only the bore. A 22 LR barrel is 1 in 16ish. The 224 centerfire barrels are about half that. Soft lead bullets don't like to spin that fast. Okay is see now I left out the word jacketed after the 224, my bad. The above mentioned HBAR with conversion kit is at best 4" at 25 with standard velocity ammo. Sold the conversion kit after the first trip to the range.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,775 Posts

Quote:
It's a S&W M&P AR. It's like the Chevy Citation of AR's. I honestly don't know why anyone would buy one when you could build a better one for less or get a Springfield Saint with 6 Pmags & a case for a few bucks more than the S&W. I guess it's a 22, but even at that, I'd rather just get the conversion kit. I have one I built for my girls as a regular AR, but just added the conversion kit. Works feeds most ammo, a few it won't eat though.
I have one.Guess I got lucky,cuz it works fine.Paid 300$ cash,straight up.(used,but lnib)

When you say you can build one for cheaper,I assume that you mean converting a 500-800$ AR to .22?
Or is it buying a parts kit?
I'm not being a jerk/snarky..just asking for clarification.