Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIP NRA 'Blended' Pistol Training wtr100 Firearms General Discussion 6 03-22-2017 03:35 PM
Money for a new gun or training? jerdog3 Firearms General Discussion 20 03-16-2017 09:12 AM
Looking for Vancouver Island Training Partner. junglecrawler General Discussion 10 01-03-2017 08:47 AM
Bad Training Worse Than No Training AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-22-2016 09:00 PM
Tactical Training: Front Sight Nevada JOracle Firearms General Discussion 3 10-22-2016 03:42 PM

Old 04-04-2017, 01:47 PM

Exclamation Michigan Prepares Meet Up & Training

Advertise Here

Cadillac Prepares

Informal peer led training is being organized on home preparedness for anyone who may have interest about natural and man made disasters. Meetings will take place at a public location once to eventually maybe twice a month an hour or two at a time. One instructor will be giving the classes initially but once comfort levels have been met then others will be welcome to give classes. Class material must be accurate and instructors will have to provide sources of subject matter information. We will learn from our strengths and weakness together.

One of the benefits of being prepared is that if an emergency happens first responders will have less high demand emergency calls to make and you and your family will not have to rely on any outside help.

One of the goals of having the class is for group members to have the ability to network and hopefully develop friendships. Classes will be 1 to 2 hours long and initially once a month on Saturday. Below are some of the subjects that will be covered in no particular order. It will basically be what direction the group wants to go in.

http://www.michigan.gov/michiganprepares Michigan labels its natural threats as disease outbreaks, earthquakes, extreme heat, floods, thunderstorms, tornadoes, wildfires and winter weather. What is not labeled is economic or social breakdown, EMP/solar flare, nuclear war or nuclear power plant accidents.

We will be discussing in this group the subjects air, shelter, water, food, medical and security requirements with the addition of a few other subjects like Homesteading, Bushcraft, Nuclear Biological and Chemical procedures.

All attendees will be given a large electronic library on a DVD disk. Classes will be prepared from this library and information from the FEMA website https://www.ready.gov/ and other sources as necessary.

A location to do this training at is needed. Some place that may have a conference room or class room. Anyone interested in donating use of a room in a public setting should email at the below address. Two locations has been already found. Still seeking a better location that has a white or black board and/or could facilitate projector.

Please spread the word on social media, email friends/family. Please email to be notified for any upcoming training events and locations at: [email protected] Once a definite location has been found and we have enough people for a class we will begin. Look up the group on Facebook under the same name Cadillac Prepares. If you want more information on the library then email. It is to much information for this post. Thank You

Future Class Subjects

We will begin discussing in this group the basics that you should start with like air, shelter, water, food, medical and security requirements .

Without air, you can die in 3 minutes. Air and respiratory protection requirements could be fire/smoke/ carbon monoxide alarms, Gas masks and face masks because of pandemics, nuclear war or power plant accidents. Did you know that Michigan is surrounded by Nuclear plants? http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/ There is quite a few plants in Wisconsin that if something were to happen we could be in trouble. Here is a wind map that could possibly show you the air currents that could carry fallout to Michigan http://hint.fm/wind/ My guess is that if this were to happen the safety area would be for us in the Cadillac area is to travel to the upper peninsula. The health department issues Potassium Iodate KIO3 to help protect your thyroid from radioactive iodine to those that live or work near a nuclear power plant only. You can buy it online from various vendors.

Shelter can be anything to get you out of the elements, in acclimate weather death can result rapidly from hypothermia and hyperthermia: If you were to loose power how would you stay warm in the winter or cool in the summer? Some may have a generator but do you have back up fuel. Do you know what type of fuel to use and how to properly store it? Do you have contingency plans. We will also learn about bushcraft shelter skills which will benefit you if you become a lost hiker or fill in the blank.

You can only live 3 days without water: If you loose power how will you obtain water? If you drink unfiltered or unsanitized water from surface water like lakes or rivers you will get sick. Do you know how to sanitize or filter surface water? What about long term water storage?

Without food you can only live two weeks: If something were happen with the trucking industry, grocery stores are only 3 days from being empty.* We will discuss long term, short term food storage. What to store, how much to store, different preserving methods such as canning and dehydrating, bushcraft skills will also be discussed.

Medical care: If there were a serious societal breakdown how would you get medical care for a love one? You need to have some medical training. You need to have first aid supplies on hand. We will learn basic first aid to include evaluate a casualty, bandaging, splinting a fracture, burns and treating for shock, CPR/Rescue breathing, trauma care, field sanitation and preventive measures, pandemic/isolation/sick rooms.

Security: What would you do if your child is crying because they are starving? Then take that same answer and think about John Doe down the road that does not care about you and yours just what you have. You need to have an ability to protect yourself and your family. We will also look at civil unrest and active shooters, detaining and retraining a person.

Evacuation Bags: Bug Out Bags/Get Home Bags/INCH Bags styles and content

Bushcraft: Outdoor survival skills.

NBC: Information for nuclear, biological and chemical incidents, how to prepare, react to and decontaminate from them.

EMP/Coronal Mass Ejection/Solar Flare: Can and will destroy modern electronics. We will discuss ways to protect your electronics.

Alternative Energy: Generator, solar and other energy sources. Operation and safety.

Homesteading: Home steading is really about the way a lot of people in the area live their lives and care of animals like chickens, goats, pigs and cattle.

Library: Discussion of various ways to have a library and what subjects to have hard copies on and electronic books. All attendees will be given an electronic library on a DVD disk.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2017, 10:53 AM

I am a bit away... muskegon county... but if timing worked out i would be interested in a meet and greet....
Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldnfab4 View Post
I am a bit away... muskegon county... but if timing worked out i would be interested in a meet and greet....
Cool, your more than welcome to come. Right now I am planning on every 3rd Saturday of the month from 2pm-4pm for the meet. So the first meeting will be Saturday May 20 at 2pm. Everything is subject to change. It will be what the group wants to do for meeting places dates and times. Even the class subjects. Email me at [email protected] so I can contact you later. I will try to update the thread with details also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 PM

Facebook deleted Cadillac Prepares so I had to create a group page with the same name Cadillac Prepares. If anyone has a problem finding it then look up Francis Marion it is part of that profile. If you want to know who Francis Marion (Swamp Fox) is then do a search. It will be in the Revolutionary War time period, LOL. He is kind of the father of American Guerrilla Warfare, LOL. One of my hero's.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 AM

OK, it is confirmed. May 20th @ 2pm at Big Boy restaurant the south side of Cadillac, 1310 S Mitchell St, Cadillac, MI 49601. I am going to attach a flyer. Download it and share please. If anybody sees any errors or thinks there is a better way of wording something in it then please private message me. I would be interested in hearing what you have to say.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brochure V1.pdf (742.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf quarter sheet.pdf (158.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,286 Posts

Hi, thanks for the message, I may be interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to anne36 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 10:41 AM
OTP Rebel

I'm heading there from around Grant MI, if anyone wants to carpool .
I'm normal with no issues
The Following User Says Thank You to AquaHull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 06:09 PM

I spoke to a reporter at the local newspaper a couple of days ago and gave him the jist of the classes. I told him that the term prepper has been polluted by the mainstream media and shows like Doomsday Preppers and to please not refer to the class as preppers. I told him that while the show may have been amusing to a degree that we think the people on the show are idiots and the show was overall stupid.

I don't remember exactly how he worded it but basically why should people prepare? And I told him you have insurance on your car and house, why not have insurance for your families welfare and the ability to feed them in an emergency. He liked it. He said its true.

He said give him about a week and the story should run.

Yesterday I went around town dropping off flyers to any place I knew had a bulletin board. I checked at a printing company to get an estimate and its cheaper to do it myself at home with HP ink.

Anybody have any suggestions where I can drop off flyers. Maybe I missed some locations.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 PM

Now we are at the point that we will start having our discussions and classes its up to you guys who are coming to the meet up to pick the subjects. I want to create a training calendar and get it published. Please email with what you want to learn about [email protected].

If you want to teach a class then let me know ASAP. If you are going to teach a class then you must: Identify individual training requirements. Plan the training. Gather the training references and materials. Your reference materials must be from a reputable source. If you are going to have handouts and if you do not want to print them off then email the handout to me and I will forward BCC to everyone on the distribution list and they can print off their own handout.

Possible Class Subjects

While we are having our meetings at Big Boy I would like to spend one hour+/- on one subject and then the other hour on another subject because of our allotted time. If we are away from the restaurant meeting room then class time periods can be as long as we want and are really up to the group.

Air: Without air, you can die in 3 minutes. Air and respiratory protection requirements could be fire/smoke/ carbon monoxide alarms, Because of pandemics, nuclear war or power plant accidents gas masks, N95 and medical face masks could be used.

Shelter: Shelter can be anything to get you out of the elements(house, RV, tents, bushcraft, sleeping bags), in acclimate weather death can result rapidly from hypothermia and hyperthermia: If you were to loose power how would you stay warm in the winter or cool in the summer? Do you have contingency plans?

Water: You can only live 3 days without water: If you loose power how will you obtain water (historically villages and homesteads were located near a water source)? If you drink unfiltered or unsanitized water from surface water like lakes or rivers you will get sick. Do you know how to sanitize or filter water using bleach, Calcium Hypochlorite, iodine? What about long term water storage? Different water filters and how they work.

Food: Without food you can only live two weeks: If something were happen with the trucking industry, grocery stores are only 3 days from being empty. During an emergency stores are emptied almost immediately. We will discuss long term, short term food storage. What to store, how much to store, different preserving methods such as canning and dehydrating, Mylar bags/oxygen absorber and 5 gallon buckets also bushcraft skills will also be discussed.

Medical care: If there were a serious societal breakdown how would you get medical care for a love one? Do you have training or first aid supplies on hand? We will start at the lowest level needed to meet individual member needs. It will kind of go like this. Not necessarily in mandatory order.
Evaluate a Casualty: Scene safety, casualty inspection, vital signs
Airway: CPR/Rescue Breathing
Bleeding: bandaging, tourniquets, sucking chest wounds, abdominal, gun shot
Treating for Shock
Fractures
Burns
Transportation Procedures: Hand carrying, litters, drags
Climatic Injuries
Bites & Stings
Dental the most forgotten medical preparation: Tools for pulling teeth, repair kits, pain relievers
First Aid for Psychological Reactions
Field Sanitation and Preventive Measures: food/water, waste disposal(latrines/outhouse), garbage disposal, corpse disposal, insect prevention mosquito, fleas, lice, ticks, Rodents like mice and rats,
Pandemic/Isolation/Sick Rooms
Medical Kits, supplies & Instruments: containers for your medical kit, how in depth do you want your kit to be will depend on your supplies assorted bandages, trauma dressings, chest seals, Sam Splint/elastic wraps, Basic evaluation equipment are as follows but not limited to thermometers, sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, Otoscope.

Security: What would you do if your child is crying because they are starving or are sick? Then take that same answer and think about John Doe down the road that does not care about you and yours just what you have and what they can take.

We can discuss preventive measures to help improve your home now and stuff to defend your home later during a SHTF or without rule of law (WROL) like video cameras/game cameras, motion detecting lights, motion detecting alerts and alarms, fences and gates, barbed or razor wire, caltrops, perimeter alarms like chemlight/glow stick or 12ga alarm(blanks, flares, teargas rounds).

We can discuss firearms, calibers and different uses.

Chemical agents: Personal teargas, bear spray proper deployment

Building clearing techniques so that you can properly defend your home.

Detaining and restraining a person in your home(home defense). I can show how to properly place someone into restraints and then do a pat down/frisk search. If anyone would be interested then I can show different blocks, strikes and takedowns.

We will also look at civil unrest and active shooters.

There are two theories land mine instant self triggered and claymore takes a human to pull the trigger. If someone wanted more information for use in a WROL time period then we could have a discussion. freedom of speech is legal and that is as far as it will go just discussion.

Evacuation Bags: Bug Out Bags/Get Home Bags/INCH Bags styles and content. This is always a fun subject to discuss. It will give everyone a chance to do a show and tell. Maybe do a bug out camp out when or if we were to do the bushcraft stuff or we could do it in the back parking lot of Big Boy.

Bushcraft: We should also learn about bushcraft skills which will benefit you if you become a lost hiker or fill in the blank. Great skill for children. I propose we go to Cadillac West to the federal public land to practice bushcraft subjects or if enough wanted to make a camping trip out of it there are good locations South West of Cadillac in the Manistee National Forest and West of Manton near the Manistee River on state land. This would make a really good family learning event and it will be fun. Bushcraft subjects could be shelter building, food procurement(is there anyone skilled in identifying wild edible plants?), water purifying, trap building.

NBC: Information for nuclear, biological and chemical incidents, how to prepare, react to and decontaminate from them.

Did you know that Michigan is surrounded by Nuclear plants? http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/ There is a few plants in East Wisconsin and Illinois(near Chicago) that if something were to happen we could be in trouble. Here is a wind map that could possibly show you the air currents that could carry fallout to Michigan http://hint.fm/wind/ . The health department issues Potassium Iodate KIO3 to help protect your thyroid from radioactive iodine to those that live or work near a nuclear power plant only. Everyone else must purchase it yourself. You can buy it online and it is very affordable. Most people do not even know about it(they don't advertise it). When I first went active duty national guard I was located at the Monroe Armory. They have a nuclear power plant there. I never heard anything about safety or protective measures for the public the couple of years I was there.

EMP/Coronal Mass Ejection/Solar Flare: While it is relatively safe for humans it only effects electronics. It can and will destroy modern electronics. We will discuss ways to protect your electronics. It is predicted that if the United States were to be hit by an EMP our electrical grid and all sensitive electronics unless protected will be destroyed. Because of our computer age most vehicles will no longer function. 90% of US citizens in the first year of the attack will die due to starvation or disease.

Alternative Energy: Generator, solar and other energy sources. Building your own system, operation and safety. Some people may have a generator but do you have back up fuel to run it. Do you know what type of fuel to use(ethanol free) and how to properly store it?

Alternative Cooking Methods: For many your stove may no longer work. Besides the lack of fuel or electricity to run it many stoves are computerized where you need electicity to turn it on or if an EMP were to happen it will fry it. We can discuss cooking on wood stoves, propane stoves, rocket stoves, BBQ grills, cooking over wood, smoking, sun oven. Setting up a cooking station.

Homesteading: Home steading is really a rural lifestyle. The way a lot of people in our area live their lives: Animal husbandry, care of animals like chickens, goats, pigs and cattle, gardening and canning/dehydrating(preserving).

Library: Discussion of various ways to have a library and what subjects to have hard copies on and electronic books. All attendees will be given an electronic library on a DVD disk.