Survivalist Forum banner

car med kit

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  lavenabecca 
#1 ·
Anyone have recommendations on things that will last in the heat of summer in your car? I had a small kit in my car last summer, pulled it out about a month ago to check it out and some of the tubes/packets had exploded getting on some of the other stuff I had in the kit. Is there anything that is resistant to the heat, or should I get new stuff and put it in a zip lock bag and change it out when it bursts? Also, how quickly does the heat degrade the effectiveness of it, if you know? Thanks :)

#3 ·
That's about the only other option I have out here in Phoenix, but it's probably a good idea seeing as how I never know where I'll be going from day to day with work. I should probably go through it a little more often than once a year too, making sure everything's good with the heat and all

#4 ·
Yes thats about my experience as well. What Ive done with my large FAK is take out everything that heat might effect like intubation kits, liquids, creams etc and put them in a cooler that comes in the house or work with me. I dont freeze anything, just keep it cool in the summer. Ive also had issues down here with cold, but in phx if thats an issue hell has indeed frozen over

#6 ·
Keeping it cool

I live in Glendale and I keep a get home bag in the car with everything except the medical stuff (including any other liquids, cremes, meds, etc). That I keep that at my desk at work. I keep a separate first aid kit in the car that does not include any liquids or cremes. Luckily I have underground parking at work so things normally don't get too hot anyway.

#7 ·
I have a med kit for my car BoB. I bring it back and forth with me in a separate case in order to keep the items within from going bad in the heat of Hell. I mean Arizona. It's a pain for me...my med kit is much larger than most people's because I'm a medical provider. But it's better than the alternative, which is needing something and not being able to use it because it's exploded.

#11 ·
It's just one of those things that is what it is. I've unfortunately had to use it at an MVA prior to FD arriving. Glad that I didn't have to make do without has made me extra vigilant when it comes to keeping my medical bag up to par.
I usually pull it out when I'm in Phx (unless it's winter) and double-check things when I get back home.

#12 ·
If you keep it in a cooler, with one of those blue ice things, should help a lot. wrap the cooler in Reflectix. Even if you don't precool the blue ice thing, it acts as thermal ballast to prevent the most severe temperature swings. The reflectix adds a radiant heat barrier.
It is a shame that car manufacturers don't build in a secure way to keep the car vented in the hot sun, and not risk theft or having the interior drenched in a suddon downpour. Wouldn't be that hard, I installed some cool Nicrovents on my boat that are solar powered vent fans with leak protection.

Either that or carry with you at all times.

#13 ·
Zonie here as well. nitrile gloves are toast after a summer. I replace them at the end of every summer. carry about 12 pair in a ziplok baggie.

I put everything that can leak or melt or get dirty in a ziplok. 10each 4x4's in a ziplok sandwich baggie. cheaper than sterile, still clean for use. cold paks in a baggie, etc.

One of the most important things is water. keep a good quality water cooler in your trunk and change the water frequently. can also carry a case of bottled water instead. especially if you travel.

i crack my windows a half inch every time i park. try to use a reflector shade too. heat kills MREs and BOB food as well. change it at the end of summer.

#15 ·
The window blocks do little to block the heat here. I keep my windows cracked, park in the shade where I can and put the shades in both the front and back windows. It still feels like I'm climbing into a dry sauna when I get back in, steering wheel making me curse myself for another day without driving gloves.

HOWEVER, since you brought it up, they can be used to make solar cookers here, as long as they do not disintegrate in the heat of the car first. (Hate that. They make such a mess.)

I have a fairly extensive first aid kit (though there are a few things I still need to get/replenish). I have left if for a couple days at a time in the car and have carried it in this extensive heat, although I usually keep it in the house with me. I have seen what the heat can do. I have found both a forgotten tube of cream and a large bottle of Ibuprofen in a car that I was no longer driving and had been parked for some months. The pills looked like they sweat and the bottle was warped from the heat. The tube had not exploded but it felt gummy and the contents inside were no longer usable. I buy essential oils in the little glass .5 oz jars with screw tops (not droppers). I keep those in tins. (My daughter broke an ounce of clove oil once, thankfully in a ziplock bag but still it made a bit of a mess. Not having that happen again.) I put rubbing alcohol, aloe, ect into travel sized, 3-$1 shampoo/conditioner bottles I picked up at Dollar Tree and Walmart as they are more flexible in the heat. I leave a little air at the top and then squeeze it out leaving it slightly dented so there is room for expansion. Then these items get placed in a portable handpump vacuum-able ziplock bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.