Thoughts on storage solution for food - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Hiker

Default Thoughts on storage solution for food

Advertise Here

So, my wife and i are looking into getting a storage unit locally (a 10 minute walk from our house.) I was thinking of storing some long term food in the storage unit. This would be buckets and mylar bag food goods. Any ideas or thoughts? I am only interested if climate controlled, which there is one local, like a 10 minute drive, that i know is climate controlled. Just curious on basic thoughts.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CPLSeraphim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 52,717 Times in 18,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim View Post
So, my wife and i are looking into getting a storage unit locally (a 10 minute walk from our house.) I was thinking of storing some long term food in the storage unit. This would be buckets and mylar bag food goods. Any ideas or thoughts? I am only interested if climate controlled, which there is one local, like a 10 minute drive, that i know is climate controlled. Just curious on basic thoughts.
Mylar packed dry nonfat food in climate controlled conditions is how you do it.

Though you might price what a several years of rental is as a reference to see what you would have as a money pool to expand storage at home. Lots of interesting storage tricks out there. Any common interior wall with no utilities in it is perfect to add shallow embedded cabinetry to. Modern kitchen cabinetry is getting more space effective every day. Closet shelving systems have exploded in variety. Lots of interesting options out there now that an architect could suggest by seeing your house blueprints (on file with the county). Of course this supposes you own you home.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post

Any common interior wall with no utilities in it is perfect to add shallow embedded cabinetry to. Modern kitchen cabinetry is getting more space effective every day.
I have lots of shelves that are just cross members set in standard 2X4 walls. In my new house that I built myself, I have a space in the bathroom 3' X 7' with multiple shelves set between the 2X4s with good looking sliding doors. I make this kind of shelving in garages or anyplace where I have unfinished walls. I like them because being shallow you can find what you are looking for.

BUT, you aren't going to be able to store enough food that way to count for anything. Maybe if you cut a slot in every wall at the top between every set of 2X4s in your house and dropped in bags of food, you might stash a years worth of food for a couple of people.

You need SERIOUS space like a 10X10 room to store a real long term amount of food, plus you will be needing things like soap, medical, clothing and boots, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:

Old 07-11-2019, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post

Though you might price what a several years of rental is as a reference to see what you would have as a money pool to expand storage at home... Of course this supposes you own you home.
I have wasted thousands paying rent on storage buildings.
5 years of storage rent will buy an storage building, if you have room for an outbuilding , and you can move your storage building to a new location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 52,717 Times in 18,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
I have wasted thousands paying rent on storage buildings.
5 years of storage rent will buy an storage building, if you have room for an outbuilding , and you can move your storage building to a new location.
Just remember that an outbuilding to store food still has to be climate controlled.

Same problem with trying to use garages, attics, and crawl spaces.

If you can move enough other inside stuff out to them to make room inside for food then great, but food needs A/C in summer and heat in winter.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: