Survivalist Forum banner

Internet / Cell in rural Williams & Ash Fork areas

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve_In_29 
#1 ·
Hey all, first post here in a bit - I am purchasing property outside Ash Fork or Williams very soon and was wondering if anyone had any advice with regard to the latest ISP and Cell offerings for these areas. I am seeking as fast a connection as is possible of course...

TIA
-JA

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply AZ.

I am currently a Verizon subscriber but in actual practice, I have found their maps (esp the latest lo-res version) to be next to useless in "fringe" areas. I appreciate you sharing your input - First hand critique is better than any map imo!

Internet wise, I realize there are options, I'm just looking for the same first hand input as to which "fast" choice sucks less than the other options.
I have heard some people use their phone as a hot-spot but I am unsure how this compares to other options in terms of speed and the carrier's (Verizon for me for now) policy as to throttling data...

-JA

#4 ·
We had good Verizon coverage once we came up out of Havasupai. We had good coverage all through Williams and Ash Fork and several points north. Cell service is unlikely to be an issue.

I would NOT however consider using my cell phone as an Internet hotspot. Verizon rates are the equivalent of the Shawshank Redemption once you exceed your plan.

#5 ·
My understanding with regard to the Verizon hotspot is that once you go beyond 10-15GB per month, you are throttled to something like 600 Kbps for the rest of the billing cycle (which might be worse than Shawshank...) I have noticed satellite connections are faster than I recall in the past - Hughes claims up to 25Mbps for up to 50GB .... hmmmm

#6 ·
The two people I know who had HughesNet (ver4), dropped their service like a hot potato as soon as the contract expired. I don't know how the current version 5 runs though.

They both now utilize Verizon for internet. As do I, at least so far but I use my phone and not a hot spot. I have good signal at my house (on a hill) but neighbor had to install a cell-signal booster on a 30 foot pole to get a solid signal.

Depending on your property's location, you might get lucky and find a local wifi provider. My neighbor's parents live a few miles closer to town then us and have line-of-sight to a St John's wifi provider's antenna. They are happy with it but I am unsure as to how much bandwidth they use.

You should verify cell signal at any property you are considering buying. Ideally at the exact location you plan to build your house.

#7 ·
OP, how did things work out? Any updates?

#8 ·
Another internet possibility I recently came across is Viasat (formerly Exede). It is a sat based provider . They cost more then Hughes Net but have newer satellites and provide more bandwidth and faster speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.