Survivalist Forum banner

Moving to Az.

7K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  leadcounsel 
#1 ·
I'm in the Marines and moving to Yuma. I'm originally from the east coast and have learned to preps as such. Well now me and my Wife are moving and I was curious to see what was kind of the big things to consider when prepping in AZ. I obviously have realized water is a huge aspect but other than that...thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I lived in Yuma most of my life. (loved it) I used to wonder what I would do if I had to bug out. There is a whole lot of desert around Yuma with nothing in it-- Goldwater AF range, Yuma Proving Ground, Cali dunes, etc. I finally decided that the best bet was to head North along highway 95, and map out the water holes and tanks in the YPG/Kofa preserve. My ultimate goal was the forest around the Prescott area.

Crim Tim

#7 ·
Sounds like a good game plan. In regards to a bug out plan I'm having to start from scratch so I'll definitely start looking along those lines. My previous bug out plan took me to Ga. Obviously that's not feasible anymore so back to the drawing board.

#8 ·
We lived near Yuma from 1997 thru early this year. It took a while but we got accustomed to the heat, such that a summer in Tucson felt a little “cool”. There’s a lot more in Yuma now than back in 97. The lack of rain was one significant factor in determining Yuma was not a retirement location for us.

I recall seeing some hints of prepper group meetings, but cannot come up with any details.

#11 ·
Long sleeve cotton shirts for all (synthetic fabrics seem to heat up in the sunlight worse than cotton) I dont care how much it breathes. Light colors. Big hats, also light color.

If you are bringing a dark colored car, make sure the a/c is in real good shape. speaking of your car, make sure the cooling system is in good shape too and change your transmission fluid, synthetic helps if you can afford it. Tinted windows ain't just for style out here. Tires will make it about 3 years no matter how many miles you drive before the sidewalls crack and separations are more frequent (in cheaper tires at least) because of higher road temps. A garage does help with this though.

In addition to water, hydration/ electrolyte supplements. They pack small and make your drinking water more effective. If you can, Make sure you hydrate the day before you need to work or move outside. Like a lot of things, hydration is best when its prepared ahead of time. Its hell if you start out dry and try to catch up while exerting.

Many times, the wind will screw your plans for light, quick, and easy shade devices. Buy quality and anchor it if the wind is blowing or not.

A general rule with anything in southern AZ. The more you can keep the sun off of it, the longer it will last. This goes for people, cars, pets, structures, lawn/patio furniture etc. If you plan to last more than half a day on foot with say, a day pack sized load, shade up and cool down often. Better yet, move at night and sleep during the day.

On the bright side (pun intended), land nav is a piece of cake... you can see for miles and miles from a small hill.

#12 ·
Lots of heavy duty sunscreen, >SPF-30. You can burn in the desert in 12 minutes in the summer. Years from now, you'll be glad you used it - you won't have to go to a Dermatologist every 6 months to get Keratoses (pre-cancerous lesions) frozen off or skin cancers removed - with a scalpel.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

#14 ·
Yuma is right near the border. You have to deal with US Border Patrol and road blocks and "people coming through" on a good day. I have been followed for two days by an unmarked military drone on the Colorado River. There is a certain tension that you have to get used to. In the summer the heat is a problem even for people that are used to it.

#15 ·
Everyone else has given good advice.

Also, be aware that localized FLOODING can be an issue anywhere in Arizona. Chose your home and preps accordingly. Every few years a hurricane comes up the Gulf of California and while the winds are not a big issue this far inland, it can rain several inches, and that's a big deal in the desert. Lesser monsoon rains and winter rains are normal, and can dump a few inches on you.

Yuma gets what, four inches of rain a year? You might get three of those inches in one day.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the interview someone on the news and the poor flood victim goes, "I didn't know it could flood here!" and you look at their flooded-out house and they'd built in an obvious flood zone beside a wash or river.

Having preps very easily accessible for power outages in summer isn't a bad idea. Thunderstorms knock power out pretty routinely. I didn't even consider having a box of flashlights and a camp stove and a battery operated radio prepping when I lived in the desert, it was just common sense.

Arizona has a stupid motorist law, too. If you drive around barricades and get stuck in floodwater, and survive, you pay for your rescue. This isn't cheap.

#17 ·
Semper Fi OP. Former GySgt here (77-95) that bought a place in NE AZ in May, though still working on getting fully moved.

How are you adjusting to Yuma? We have lived in 29 Palms for over 30 years and deal with similar conditions. What do you think of Snowbird Season where the population of Yuma about triples?

Reactions: SSGNasty
#18 ·
I SUPER appreciate all the responses I've received and all the super helpful information...currently we are working on a hydroponic set up. I got a bug out plan established still need to drive the routes, I'm new to gardening and figure if I can grow something here I can grow anywhere hahaha, planted a cocktail tree that has lime, oranges, and lemons. We bought a German shepherd.and currently looking for some serious serious water storage. Thanks again to everyone...."stay humble"

#20 ·
Glad to hear things are going well. Will Yuma be your final duty station or do you still have time to go before retiring?

While Shepard's are good dogs, given the heat in Yuma and AZ in general I would have opted for a short haired dog (for it's own comfort) myself. All the dogs we have had here in 29 were short haired and seemed to handle the heat better then the longer haired breeds my friends had.

Where did you locate yourself in Yuma? Got a bit of property outside town or what?

#21 ·
Still got a fair amount of time, we got a short haired shepherd and keep him shaved and we are very careful of when he goes out early morning late nights. We found a place out by the mountains. It's nice but not where I plan keep roots.

#22 ·
I'm in the Marines and moving to Yuma. I'm originally from the east coast and have learned to preps as such. Well now me and my Wife are moving and I was curious to see what was kind of the big things to consider when prepping in AZ. I obviously have realized water is a huge aspect but other than that...thanks.
When my wife and I made the decision to move to Arizona in 1991, 29 years ago, Yuma was on our short list. This was of course before Mexico turned into the massive, dangerous toilet bowl it has now become.

It was enjoyable back then to take the short drive down to San Luis, walk across the border and take in all the shops. Now you have to be crazy to even consider setting foot in that hell hole. I'm so glad we chose Lake Havasu City over Yuma!

If your heart is set on Yuma, stick with the Fortuna Foothills area, just east of Yuma itself. It's predominately white retired people. Much more affluent, nicer, and safer. And while the homes are more expensive, they are far more desirable..... And sellable.

But it still doesn't compare to Lake Havasu. Home prices in Lake Havasu are appreciating MUCH faster. And it is a far more desirable town all around. It's over 98% white, and Mohave county is one of the most Republican counties in the entire state. Trump 2020 flags are flying everywhere here.

The lake itself is beautiful. And with a current population of just north of 53,000, it still has that small town living appeal to it. But yet it has all the big box stores and conveniences you could want or need. Good doctors and medical facilities. Plenty of shopping. Name it. You are only 60 miles from Bullhead / Laughlin. And 2-1/2 hours to Vegas. And about 3-1/2 to Phoenix.

I'm not saying Yuma is a "bad" town. But with all of the border problems that are going on in this country, I would give very careful consideration to living and owning property anywhere near it. There is close to 145 miles of hot and uninhabitable desert between the Mexican border and Lake Havasu City. And that suits me right down to the ground.

#23 ·
Well since the thread got resurrected, how are things going in Yuma Gauge?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.