Survivalist Forum banner

Boots for desert hiking

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ppine 
#1 ·
I've been ordered by my wife to get some new boots (She saw a 5+ foot diamond back behind the house).
Her requirements for me:
- Must protect against snake bites.
- Must have lots of toe room.
My requirements:
- Must be eazy to pull on and off.
- Super quality
- Comfortable and cool
- Water proof

How high up the leg should they be?
Brands?
Available in Tucson area?

#2 ·
I wear a pair of New Balance 1569 for my desert walking/hiking. I have wide feet (4E, but I buy 6E for hiking to accommodate thick socks and sock liners) so I buy them online at Zappos but there are at least two New Balance stores around Tucson. They're durable and very comfortable, the 6E has a nice, wide toe box. The hooks at the top make them easy to get on and off. I'm just about ready to buy a new pair, I'll get the same thing.

Usually I'm out training one of the donkeys to pack and she or he will spot a snake long before it's close enough to strike. I've considered buying a pair of snake gaiters for when I'm out by myself. I always use hiking poles when I'm on my own, the noise and vibration let snakes know you're coming so they can get out of the way. They're also handy for gently "encouraging" snakes to move on (I only do this with non-venomous snakes, fyi).

#4 ·
Snake boots are very uncomfortable and hot in the desert. I cannot remember ever seeing anyone wearing them under those conditions. It is worth itto wear some baggy long pants and maybe some short gaiters in the desert. A lot times a snake will hit the clothing without reaching your skin.

I used to work a lot in the desert carrying either a shovel or a soil auger which are good tools for defense. Hiking sticks are much better than nothing. Be careful around dawn and dusk and watch where you put your hands and feet.

In 30 years out there I only ran into snakes occasionally. Only a few were close enough to strike and none did. I have had two friends, both botanists that have stepped across coiled snakes without being bit. Plant surveys are dangerous because it is so easy to get totally focused on the plants. I was dong a plant survey near Las Vegas in the winter one morning. I stepped right next to perfectly camouflaged diamondback in a flat coil. He was still cool from the night air and did not move. I was very lucky that time and a few others.

#5 ·
Snake boots are very uncomfortable and hot in the desert. I cannot remember ever seeing anyone wearing them under those conditions.

I used to work a lot in the desert carrying either a shovel or a soil auger which are good tools for defense. Hiking sticks are much better than nothing. Be careful around dawn and dusk and watch where you put your hands and feet.

In 30 years out there I only ran into snakes occasionally. Only a few were close enough to strike and none did. I have had two friends, both botanists that have stepped across coiled snakes without being bit. Plant surveys are dangerous because it is so easy to get totally focused on the plants. I was dong a plant survey near Las Vegas in the winter one morning. I stepped right next to perfectly camouflaged diamondback in a flat coil. He was still cool from the night air and did not move. I was very lucky that time and a few others.
Thanks, my feelings too. My wife is freaked out by big snake sighting.
I may buy and wear once or twice while hunting.

#10 ·
Snake boots are not hiking boots...or vice versa.

The snake proof gaiters thing has merit, but you stand the chance of not wearing them at the most inopportune time.

I'd have serious snake boots for work around the yard/homestead, if you really think that is an ongoing issue. And learn to watch my step in the desert in all other circumstances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.