Weedinhoe's 2016-2020 Garden - Page 73 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IceFire's Farm and Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 518 03-22-2020 09:13 PM
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 09:00 PM
2018 - 2019 hunting season stands ready? kev Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 1 10-01-2018 09:36 PM
Fall / winter 2018 - 2019 prepping plans? kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 09-21-2018 08:36 PM
Garden Planning for 2018 Cabinlife Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 02-18-2018 12:00 PM

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,138 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
Bummer! I hope the store is open so you can get your soil.
I called this morning and they will be open. However the particular mix I'm wanting will undergo a final mixing and then pushed up into a huge pile after closing today. It will be ready for purchase tomorrow. We're going to go get it on the premise that it is an essential agricultural supply. It's for food production.

Quote:
I use Miracle Gro potting mix, which you might be able to get on Amazon or at a hardware store/garden center. The latter might have it on sale. The former won't be cheap!
There's no way on this earth that I can afford the equivalent of two pick-up truck loads of Miracle Grow. This mix is $40 for a cubic yard, pretty much a pick-up load. I'm going to go. We'll be in the pick-up, hand money to one person and sit in the truck as one guy on a front end loader dumps the mix into the truck. He drives away, we tarp it down and go home. Easy. All they sell is mulch and growing mixes sitting around in huge piles.
I've never been there when there were other customers around.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanked 6,517 Times in 1,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
There's no way on this earth that I can afford the equivalent of two pick-up truck loads of Miracle Grow.
Many years ago, a person whom I used to know who was also into gardening told me that Miracle Gro potting soil was "the kiss of death". I can confirm that I had tried it during that time too, and was disappointed with the results. I was living in an apartment at the time, so my gardening was limited to pots on the patio.

Maybe Miracle Gro has changed their formula since then, I don't know. Like I say, that was a very long time ago. But I can't believe that it would still be selling after all this time, if it still wasn't very good. They must have changed something about it since then.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,138 Posts

I used MG for years for starting my seeds and for potting up plants and seem to remember there was just one time that the bag must have been "off". Thart was a long time ago. Now I use SunGrow (the old Metromix) for starting seeds and just keep a bag of MG around for potting up house plants. Everything else gets this mix I'm going to get tomorrow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,844 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
<snip>

There's no way on this earth that I can afford the equivalent of two pick-up truck loads of Miracle Grow. This mix is $40 for a cubic yard, pretty much a pick-up load. I'm going to go. <snip>
Your point is well taken. I buy 10 bags, 2 cubic ft each and it isn't the cheapest, certainly not what you're paying. However, I don't drive either so there's no going out to the garden center. And the one time I had a cubic foot delivered, it came with powdery mildew. No bueno That comes back every year too. I could get the city compost for free if I could find someone with a truck, but there's no telling what's in that and my friends have nice trucks, not garden trucks.

I don't know what to say about the MG recipe. My containers do well with it, so maybe they have changed their formula from years ago. I have tried cheaper stuff, and that was worth what I paid for it. Even the MG garden soil, which I had to use last year, has been good for me. At the end of the season I dump it into my raised beds. Life is good. Not cheap but good.
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Quote:
I could get the city compost for free if I could find someone with a truck, but there's no telling what's in that and my friends have nice trucks, not garden trucks.
What's the point in them owning a pickup truck if they're not going to haul anything with it?

Anyway, our city has a composting facility too, they make it from all the yard waste they collect from residents. However, like you, I don't want to use it because I have no idea what's in it (weed seeds, pesticide residue, etc)

Quote:
At the end of the season I dump it into my raised beds.
I do the same thing, dump old potting soil straight into my garden beds.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 09:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,844 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettTheOkie View Post
What's the point in them owning a pickup truck if they're not going to haul anything with it?
This is the city. People here don't use pickup trucks really. They drive SUVs with all of the trimmings, and many of them have retired and moved to condos. While one of the guys from the range might help me out, he'd have to come in from the country. Also, while it's not undoable, it's quite the hassle to haul soil from my driveway to my deck garden. It would be several heavy buckets through the house; the VegTrug alone takes 4 cu ft, ie 2 of those big 2 cu ft bags. It's much easier to store the bags in my living room, then haul them one at a time the 3-4 feet to my deck and dump them in the container. It's not the cheapest option, but I suppose I pay in labor and pain or I pay in money. My thanks to God and my own hard work that I have the option And the potting mix is actually made for container gardening. Garden soil is a whole 'nuther animal! I used that last year; it's thicker and heavier, with more organic matter and very water retentive. With all of the rain we had last year, my Earth Boxes didn't drain well. When I cleaned them out I found the soil sopping wet about halfway down. This explains my lower yield Potting mix will drain better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 10:28 AM
Free of the Wilderness

Quote:
And the potting mix is actually made for container gardening. Garden soil is a whole 'nuther animal! I used that last year; it's thicker and heavier, with more organic matter and very water retentive. With all of the rain we had last year, my Earth Boxes didn't drain well. When I cleaned them out I found the soil sopping wet about halfway down. This explains my lower yield Potting mix will drain better.
I have sometimes found that too, soil at the bottom of a pot that is sopping wet. It's probably because I didn't purchase as high a quality of potting soil as I should have.