Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,125 Times in 377 Posts

Advertise Here

Go with .308, at least if theres shtf/teotwawki youll have a chance to get ammo. If theres an emergency, non-military & law enforcement ammo will stop being manufactured. You can shoot 7.62x51 in a civilian .308, but you cant or shouldnt shoot .308 in a 7.62 chambered military rifle, the .308 is higher pressure than the 7.62.

This is why i have 9mm, .223/5.56 & .308 firearms.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2020, 12:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,304 Times in 2,632 Posts

Always check ammunition availability in your area. I think all current rifle rounds will fit your needs provided you go above 24 caliber. Since you don't reload you need to be able to purchase ammo. Mail order ammo is nice but it can always be taken away as it was in California. I have a 7mm-08, I like it but I reload and I have more than one rifle and they all are not for the same round, so I'm covered. there is a lot of expertise on this forum. Some is better than others. Read, listen, learn they do some research.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,104 Times in 10,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjohn View Post
Go with .308, at least if theres shtf/teotwawki youll have a chance to get ammo. If theres an emergency, non-military & law enforcement ammo will stop being manufactured. You can shoot 7.62x51 in a civilian .308, but you cant or shouldnt shoot .308 in a 7.62 chambered military rifle, the .308 is higher pressure than the 7.62.

The difference I have noticed with military ammo in 7.62x51, is the brass case is actualy thicker. This means it has a slightly smaller case capacity, and the powder charge must be reduced to compensate. The reason lake city military cases are thicker is to handle extraction force in full auto weapons.

You are correct about the pressure level of commercial 308 win ammo. I do not own a full auto machine gun in 7.62x51, but I do load for my SAI Scout Squad, and I reduce my powder charge to keep the pressure around 48-50 ksi.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Trapper

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..

Being a little older and no longer as enthusiastic about recoil

I have went to a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser round for deer season
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passin thru For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 05:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,143 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinShooter44 View Post
Ö.
Keep in mind that I am a big, slow, heavy caliber type of person. Anymore, I won't hunt with a bullet weighing less than 200 grains and it must come out of a 30-06 or larger. Even my arrows are considered "heavy" at 650 grains. This, of course, is my personal choice.
How about a good old Brown Bess? Big slow.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:23 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,566 Posts

I guess about the only reason I'd say not to get it is that it's less common than the 308win & less common usually = more cost for ammo as well as often less selection & availability. If you reload that can definitely offset the cost & may help expand your bullet selection vs. what's on the shelf at the local store that sells ammo. For deer a 308 is plenty adequate & the options for both guns & ammo abound.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Quote:
….
Keep in mind that I am a big, slow, heavy caliber type of person. Anymore, I won't hunt with a bullet weighing less than 200 grains and it must come out of a 30-06 or larger. Even my arrows are considered "heavy" at 650 grains. This, of course, is my personal choice.
How about a good old Brown Bess? Big slow.
Perfect. 👍 Although I personally would like some rifling for my patched round ball.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,802 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
How many of those pics you lift off the Internet?

I ask this because I happen to know that the antelope was killed by Sam Millard of Panhandle Precision in North Idaho (I grew up in the same town he currently resides in). He shot it with a 300 Win Mag at 830 yards with a 210 grain Berger Hunting VLD... And the moose pic comes from a hunting guide outfit in Maine.

When using other people's pics, it would help if other people on this forum aren't from the original picture takers home town... Like I am

I will add before you suggest it like you have in the past that, no, professionals running a business did not cruise the forums to steal every picture you post to use on their website.

https://panhandleprecision.com/wide-...elope-hunting/
Have both thier heads mounted on my wall, so guess where your poser butt can stick those accusations ? ( Your still fos, as shown in the past, )

Don't like it? Show up in person and change my mind....lol. ( At the very least, pm me here instead of derailing threads.) Then again.....you are one stupid son of a bitch...lol

Both taken with a 308, which has proven to be more than enough for anything running around in this hemisphere. 150/165/168 gr bullets.....and none of them have failed to bring home the bacon in the last 4 plus decades and still counting.

Big fan of 7mm08, and hope the op takes that route, but despite what you think, his 308 is more than up to the task...provided he does his part.

11B
Old 05-10-2020, 04:28 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjohn View Post

7.62x51mm compared to 308 in a fairly easy to understand method below......

http://how-i-did-it.org/762vs308/chamber.html

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Quote:
How many of those pics you lift off the Internet?

I ask this because I happen to know that the antelope was killed by Sam Millard of Panhandle Precision in North Idaho (I grew up in the same town he currently resides in). He shot it with a 300 Win Mag at 830 yards with a 210 grain Berger Hunting VLD... And the moose pic comes from a hunting guide outfit in Maine.

When using other people's pics, it would help if other people on this forum aren't from the original picture takers home town... Like I am

I will add before you suggest it like you have in the past that, no, professionals running a business did not cruise the forums to steal every picture you post to use on their website.

https://panhandleprecision.com/wide-...elope-hunting/
Have both thier heads mounted on my wall, so guess where your poser butt can stick those accusations ? ( Your still fos, as shown in the past, )

Don't like it? Show up in person and change my mind....lol. ( At the very least, pm me here instead of derailing threads.)

Both taken with a 308, which has proven to be more than enough for anything running around in this hemisphere. 150/165/168 gr bullets.....and none of them have failed to bring home the bacon in the last 4 plus decades and still counting.

Big fan of 7mm08, and hope the op takes that route, but despite what you think, his 308 is more than up to the task...provided he does his part.

11B
That's a bald-faced lie and everyone on here knows it. Especially when provided the actual website it came from and the copyright date that it comes with. You are, without any doubt, lying about any, and probably all, exploits you post on here.

We aren't talking about field manual, doesn't work in real life stuff. We aren't talking campfire, stretching the truth about fish we've caught and babes we've been with. We are talking absolute, complete, flat out lying to no end with other people's copy-written material.

It's also just as easy for you to PM me as it is for me to PM you, however, when someone is stealing other people's pictures to use as their own to claim their own badassery, I'm not going to let it be known privately through a gay ass PM.

I will also point out that I see you deleted your original post that I called you out on... Which is a shady move for someone who is claiming innocence.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarlinShooter44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,304 Times in 2,632 Posts

When I bought my Ruger in 22-250 the salesperson tried to talk me out of it as the round was not popular? he thought the 223 was a better choice? A couple of months later when I went in for my 7mm-08 he had another salesperson wait on me and there was no problem. If you know what you want, go for it. I did not tell the first bozo that I had a 23 or two in the safe as it was none of his business. Always go with your intsincks on your first rifle. You are not limited to one and can change on the next one.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,447 Times in 6,364 Posts

7MM/08 is fine , 243 another good one for Oklahoma. I hunt with the 223 but I only take head or neck shots , find out what loads it likes and get proficient with it. And keep an ammo can or 2 stocked just in case. Get the one YOU WANT OR LIKE put some good glass on it and have a good hunting season. JMHO and S/FI!
Old 05-10-2020, 10:21 PM
old gunsel

One thing not normally considered about necking the 308 to any other caliber,
is that the neck will end up much shorter than you might expect.
Dean Grennell in his ABC’s Of Reloading series of books makes this clear.
He recommends using the 243 as better suited to “wildcatting” to the 7-08 et.al..

I’d be considering the 260 Rem rather than the 6.5 Creedmore just for its better
ballistics. The 6.5X55 is a great cartridge, but it’s base (butt?) is a bit larger.

The 7 Mag is a great compromise cartridge as far as mouse to moose adaptability.
Hunters in my family have used everything from 243 to 338 on elk, so the 7-08
should work just fine. I used the 257 Roberts for years. As was said, it’s more
about marksmanship than power.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:34 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,535 Times in 6,751 Posts

I have a Ruger .270 that I've used for almost 30 years, and especially with hand loads the .270 is a tack driver. Even with standard Federal or Hornady commercial loads, it shoots minute of angle.

Here is an article that compares ballistics, and comes up with some conclusions that most might agree with:

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/270-vs-308/

Both are fine rounds, ...I use .270 more due to the terrain and topography I hunt on, rather than any other factors.

Your mileage most certainly may vary.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:49 AM
Somewhere in a Plane

Personally, I hunt with a 280 Remington, aka, 7mm-06. It shoots the same bullets as the 7mm-08, but a couple FPS faster.

If you want the -08, get it. Ammo is a little pricier than 308, but you arenít giving anything else up. If anything, youíre getting minutely flatter trajectories, and a bit less recoil. The deer certainly wonít know the difference.

If you decide to go after elk/black bear, use a bonded or other controlled expansion bullet. Randy Newman, a big elk hunter/hunting tv personality/gun writer uses a 7mm-08 for a lot of his hunts, and with Nosler bullets, it works just fine.

6.5 CM is also just fine for deer or bigger things.

So is 308.

And 30-06.

And 12 gauge.

Pick what gives you the warm fuzzies inside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Quote:
That's a bald-faced lie and everyone on here knows it. Especially when provided the actual website it came from and the copyright date that it comes with. You are, without any doubt, lying about any, and probably all, exploits you post on here.

We aren't talking about field manual, doesn't work in real life stuff. We aren't talking campfire, stretching the truth about fish we've caught and babes we've been with. We are talking absolute, complete, flat out lying to no end with other people's copy-written material.

It's also just as easy for you to PM me as it is for me to PM you, however, when someone is stealing other people's pictures to use as their own to claim their own badassery, I'm not going to let it be known privately through a gay ass PM.

I will also point out that I see you deleted your original post that I called you out on... Which is a shady move for someone who is claiming innocence.
2 words for ya coward.

Ignore list

Any time anywhere you stupid son of a bitch

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post

2 words for ya coward.

Ignore list

Any time anywhere you stupid son of a bitch

11B
Okay... I'll be sure to pretend I'm impressed. I won't be, but at least I'll be showing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarlinShooter44 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Prepared

Quote:

The 7mm-08 is a very good round. The only thing I have heard people complain about it is the penetration (or lack of) on elk size game that are quartering towards the shooter. I'm assuming a shoulder socket was hit square.

Because of this I would not personally hunt with one, however, I wouldn't be afraid to take a good broadside or slight quartering away shot with it if that was all I had.

What you described is an example of poor bullet selection, not the 7mm-08 cartridge. My girlfriend drove a 115gr TSX from a 25-06 thru both shoulders of a bull Moose and it exited.

Using super heavy large caliber bullets is rather archaic, the mentality of hunters many decades ago before bullet technology had caught up with the velocities being produced.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:54 PM
Hiker

took my first moose with a 7x57. a 7-08 is just a modern 7x57(pressure, case capacity). unless things have changed the biggest issue with th7-08 is factory loadings don't come over 140 grains unless you buy premium rounds. I would reload a controlled expansion in 150-160 grains and be comfortable shooting anything in North america (except maybe an angry grizzly)