Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Prepared

Default kayak/canoe truck roof top carry

Advertise Here

Have a Yakama rack on my Ram w/ camper shell. I can carry the canoe on top and stick the kayak in the camper. That is great for runs down to the local lake. Been thinking maybe taking a weekend trip but will need the back of the truck for other stuff. Anyone have a good system for mounting a 17' old town canoe and a 10' old town sit in kayak on top? Went to the Yakama website but didn't feel like clicking on everything there.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,220 Times in 10,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequintessentialman View Post
Have a Yakama rack on my Ram w/ camper shell. I can carry the canoe on top and stick the kayak in the camper. That is great for runs down to the local lake. Been thinking maybe taking a weekend trip but will need the back of the truck for other stuff. Anyone have a good system for mounting a 17' old town canoe and a 10' old town sit in kayak on top? Went to the Yakama website but didn't feel like clicking on everything there.
I used to strap my canoe to a ladder rack. This kept them well above the pickup bed, and allowed the front of the canoe to stick forward over the pickup cab.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:41 PM
Prepared

Hick Industries

That's what it does now with the Yakama, it's the same as a ladder rack except three rails, two on the camper shell and one over the cab. In fact, I put the rack on there for the canoe but it's carried more ladders than it has canoes. I think the canoe and Kayak may be too much up there, the 17 footer is pretty wide but just though I'd check if anyone has come up with any innovative solutions. I'm pretty sure Yakama has an add on accessory for this rack to modify for two kayaks but their website is a pain to wade through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,794 Times in 2,206 Posts

never tried it with the canoe, but I have put one kayak upside down and then the other on top of it upside right. That was with 12 footers. Ratchet straps are your best friend.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 PM
Almost Ready

I paddle longer sea kayaks and was OK when the trucks had 8’ beds and cap/ rack. I made a pair of saddles that fit over the racks and conform to the boats hull front and rear. It was perfect and only needed a couple bungees, no lines to the bumpers!
My latest truck only has a 6 1/2’ bed and the racks were just too close together to safely haul the boats.
My solution was to have a THIRD, temporary rack that sits on top of the roof and has a strap that connects inside the cab. It works great and I simply take it off when not needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to arks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 08:04 PM
Almost Ready

Here’s a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C7BEA2E-025E-4EFB-B272-CFB89DB8FB2F.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	305792  
Old 06-22-2020, 06:48 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by arks View Post
Here’s a picture:
This is the same set up I have, I was just wondering if anyone found an innovative way to carry a 17' canoe and an 10' kayak on top. I'm getting by locally with canoe on top and kayak in back but not good for longer road trips where I need my back camper shell space for other gear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 12:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,656 Times in 2,516 Posts

I used to carry a 17' sea kayak on my small ford ranger extended cab, i think a 6' bed. Just threw a folded moving blanket on top of cab and ran a rope from bow and stern to front and rear of truck.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:14 AM
Prepared

That's a different Yak rack than the one I have. I needed more room and got tired of the constant whine that comes from driving fast with a boat on top, so I bought a Harbor Freight folding trailer like this https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...ler-62647.html
With removable 2x4 fencing on both sides you can load a canoe and two kayaks easily and you don't have to wrestle the boats off the top of the truck. If you don't like positioning trailers you can put a receiver on the front of your truck and eyeball the trailer into any space your truck will go. Plenty of attachment points for ratchet straps and you don't have to worry about one of your boats flying off the top of your truck if you have to lock up the brakes. It folds up so it's about two feet thick so it doesn't take up much room.
The Following User Says Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 01:16 AM
Prepared

Another benefit to using a small trailer is that you can pack your boats and gear whenever you have the time and when you're ready to go you just hitch up and drive away.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:24 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by clingmansdome View Post
That's a different Yak rack than the one I have. I needed more room and got tired of the constant whine that comes from driving fast with a boat on top, so I bought a Harbor Freight folding trailer like this https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...ler-62647.html
With removable 2x4 fencing on both sides you can load a canoe and two kayaks easily and you don't have to wrestle the boats off the top of the truck. If you don't like positioning trailers you can put a receiver on the front of your truck and eyeball the trailer into any space your truck will go. Plenty of attachment points for ratchet straps and you don't have to worry about one of your boats flying off the top of your truck if you have to lock up the brakes. It folds up so it's about two feet thick so it doesn't take up much room.
... about the only thing I don't like about this idea is I didn't think of it first. I like this solution. Not a big fan of Harbor Fright but think I saw a similar trailer in Northern a while back.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:11 AM
Prepared

I was suspicious of HF quality for something I would have following me down the road, but it was fun building it and the components and bolts are good quality. Basically all you get is the frame and axle, and then you add the rest. The axle is very well made with standard automotive tapered roller bearings, and the spindle welds are very well done, which is the component I was worried about. I've used mine to haul two large motorcycles each weighing about seven hundred pounds for over five hundred miles with no problems. The coolest part is that if you remove the front two pins, the front will tilt up and the bed turns into a ramp so you can ride a motorcycle onto it without having to use ramps.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Ebola brought me here

This is my set up for when I either a) want to take the yaks and the ATV or b) need to be able to close my tailgate.

Bought the ladder rack off of Amazon, drilled holes through the trailer rails and bolted it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak trailer.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	306506