A SHTF preparation question mainly for the men - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,900 Times in 3,827 Posts

Advertise Here

She does alright but I understand and have hands on experience with far more than she does. I have more personal interest in how things work than she does. I would be fine because all of the curiosity that I have always had has taught me to solve problems. Her not so much.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,308 Times in 2,456 Posts

What? Just cause Im a guy, it means I aint plenty capable of cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 30 plus, I cant can food or garden? Or does that just mean I am one of the few guys who could? I know there are a lot of Soy Boys who would be helpless out there in this world but I am thinking that a vast majority of the men in this community could at least half heartedly accomplish all of those task at least adequately...am I wrong?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,844 Times in 1,278 Posts

I FORGOT...
The wife has a BLACK thumb.
For 42 years of marriage she has tried to raise garden plants, flowers, has tried growing just about everything that can grow here but kudzu.

NOTHING gets past sprouting stage. She doesn't can or dry or do anything about food except buy it at the store and prepare it.

Right now just the 2 of us, we are probably good for a year on the food we have right now. But if I have to rely on her providing the nourishment of any kind... the outlook would not be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,616 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
What? Just cause Im a guy, it means I aint plenty capable of cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 30 plus, I cant can food or garden? Or does that just mean I am one of the few guys who could? I know there are a lot of Soy Boys who would be helpless out there in this world but I am thinking that a vast majority of the men in this community could at least half heartedly accomplish all of those task at least adequately...am I wrong?

Maybe city folks know how to survive like that but here in the country few men could make it without their wives. And I'm in Mormon country. Women take care of the home and men bring in the money. It's easy enough in these good times to cook a Thanksgiving dinner for 30 people, but when the grid is down, things get a little rougher. No water! I doubt if most men in this country have a wood cook stove in their homes. In a SHTF scenario there would be a lot more to worry about besides cooking. Many wives in my area know how to make and use alternative medicines. Do you? And many can all kinds of produce as well as meat and fish. And they are careful and re-use the lids. When I used to take my cider press to community members to help them juice their apples (Up to 150 gallons a day.), I rarely did it with men.

Do you use a steam juicer and juice elder berries to make a syrup for colds? Do you have a steam juicer?

And do you think you could suddenly use your lawn and begin growing vegetables after the grid went down. Few men seem to work in the garden.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM
I love this forum

Deep question, but yeah, I can do some of what she does. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
. Men, could you do what your wife does in an emergency? Or would you be looking for another family to move in with? Are you REALLY prepared for this kind of SHTF scenario?
Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,367 Times in 4,317 Posts

I do all of the gardening and much of the cooking currently.

So yes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,582 Times in 2,811 Posts

When my wife goes Im done with having a female partner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,810 Posts

My wife does quite well in the kitchen, but isn't a gardener, so if I actually want to see something through from planting to harvest, I do it myself. She is more of the "I wanted to see if it would grow" type, which doesn't really benefit anyone. Similarly, she is much more of a DIYer than I am in terms of home projects, and is actually quite handy with fixing this and that, but often starts projects that then get put on the back burner indefinitely. If SHTF, such things would already get scaled back drastically out of necessity, and I would take a minimalist approach to things whenever possible, where as she might test the limits of our resources, which would of course not be ideal. So, if something happened to her, I would manage some tasks on my own without (theoretically) much difficulty, but other things would involve a lot of trial and error.

Our kids are still little, so caring for them while handling everything else would be where I'd have the most serious concerns. That and home defense, which she could handle as well as I could in most regards, if not better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 08:30 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,667 Times in 1,025 Posts

[quote=makobytes;19725850]I cannot do a lot of what you cited. However, neither can my wife. If I had to live without my wife. It would be no problem to take care of my daily needs and to cook and clean. The companionship is what I would miss the most. I did not marry my wife to be my care taker, I married her to keep me company. Now if I just had a mute button, then life would be great.

If you find a wife mute button or pause button let us know. They would be worth a fortune.

Unfortunately my wife isn't much of a companion. And that makes me less a companion sadly. My brother said, "You could live in a tent". Yes I can and would if needed.

I have open fire cooking skills along with many other survivor skills. Some women want me for other companion attributes (not intimate ) but I am "faithful".

I can live alone.....
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,259 Times in 978 Posts

I've been on my own since my ex up and r-u-n-o-f-t. I cook, I clean, I have a garden, I can and freeze stuff all the time. I make blackberry jelly, muscadine wine, I can salsa, I can or freeze 24 oz bowls of stew that cost me less than a dollar a bowl if I use all store bought ingredients which I seldom do. I've been off the grid (except for cell phone and internet) since October 10th. I don't know many women today that do all the things I do. My mother certainly did, but today's women under 60? Not many would even know how to peel a potato (this forum excluded, of course.) I can do all this and still do all the more physical tasks that women are just unsuited for. Men will make it without women much better than the inverse. That's not a misogynistic comment, it's just basic biology.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 04:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,758 Posts

My wife was terminal for quite a while before she passed.Yep,I did it all.What really sucks is coming home to an empty house.Her sister lived with me for a while and she also passed.
I could never be a hermit,I work a lot,so I'm around people during the day,but I really miss coming home to someone,anyone,just to share what happened or plan things coming up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 04:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,999 Times in 4,226 Posts

Quote:
but their husbands can't cook or raise a garden or can green beans, or fry summer squash, or can or jerk wild game, or pressure cook food, or grind and make coffee or gather wild herbs or make herbal tinctures to help treat sickness, or make flour for pancakes and bread, or make quick breads.
Sounds like you live around a bunch of sissy metrosexuals

I was raised with a few tasks that were predominantly the husband's or wife's, but the majority of those tasks were shared. There is value in having diversity in skill sets, but if one loses their partner, it will be a struggle regardless. If, God forbid, I lost my wife, it would be a larger loss in companionship. While we are both pretty capable independently, there's just some things she does far better than I am capable.

I expect it would be kind of hard to post in the "want ads" post-SHTF:

Quote:
Wanted: Singe female, prefer Christian-Conservative, non-snowflake, 25-35, who can cook, raise a garden, can green beans, fry summer squash, can or jerk wild game, use a pressure cooker, grind and make coffee, gather wild herbs. make herbal tinctures to help treat sickness, make flour for pancakes and bread, and make quick breads.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 06:15 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,676 Times in 5,626 Posts

Wife wanted.
Who likes to cook, clean and clean fish.
Must have boat and motor.
Please send picture of boat and motor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,093 Times in 955 Posts

My wife became paralyzed and terminally ill when my youngest was 4 months old. My oldest was 3. I have taken care of the kids and wife for over a year before my wife died. I do the wash, cook from scratch, laundry, wash and braid hair, help the kids when they need them, grow a garden and can, AND work a job. I went over that bridge a long time ago. Wish it was like it was my wife was alive but we can’t choose what goes on in our lives.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I've been on my own since my ex up and r-u-n-o-f-t. I cook, I clean, I have a garden, I can and freeze stuff all the time. I make blackberry jelly, muscadine wine, I can salsa, I can or freeze 24 oz bowls of stew that cost me less than a dollar a bowl if I use all store bought ingredients which I seldom do. I've been off the grid (except for cell phone and internet) since October 10th. I don't know many women today that do all the things I do. My mother certainly did, but today's women under 60? Not many would even know how to peel a potato (this forum excluded, of course.) I can do all this and still do all the more physical tasks that women are just unsuited for. Men will make it without women much better than the inverse. That's not a misogynistic comment, it's just basic biology.

You are definitely ahead of most of the men in this country. As long as you have no health problems that require taking prescription drugs, you should be able to make it through most SHTF scenarios.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Preparing....Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I will answer for husband: NO
He can't cook more than boil an egg, he does not know how to preserve food,he doesn't know how to take care of the medical needs of the animals either ( like deworming goats)

On the other hand I can't do the heavy lifting, especially after my accident.

So we would both be screwed if one of us dies, and would have to change our lifestyle unless son is still living with us, he could somewhat replace both of us...

I have already resigned myself to the fact that if a true SHTF happens, we will probably still be screwed, even if we live on a farm, middle of nowhere, with water and no absolute need for electricity. There are just still too many things that we can't make/do or defend against.

true. Have yall considered starting up a group that will come together for the event? surviving in the sh-it will come down to teamwork and family.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Hunter

Exclamation Life without a wife

I would probably not do well in a SHTF scenario but only because two blood clots left me dependent on warfarin (rat poison) as a blood thinner and the viscosity of my blood has to be checked in order to maintain the right thickness.

I know how to do a lot of things mainly because I grew up in the country with parents who had had such a life. My parents left California's cotton country when I was 9 and moved to an island in Washington's Puget Sound, where my mother, dad, and I built a vertical log house, with logs sawed lengthwise, overlapping with tar paper between them. I learned to use well a draw-knife and a spud. I would years later help a friend build his log house, using those tools. Our stove for many years was a 55-gallon oil barrel. We ate all kinds of game and looked for abandoned homesteads that had untended orchards. My mom made lots of applesauce, the old fashioned way by cooking peeling, coring apples. When I later did a lot of that, I used a Squeezo strainer and would make 5 gallons at a time and then pressure can it.

We used a pitchfork from a shallow bottomed boat at low tide to gather Dungeness crabs and later used crab pots. We ate lots of crab meat for many years, gathered rock oysters, dug steamer clams, and big horse clams. I watched my dad catch ling cod without a hook and he would amaze the California visitors. We smoked a lot of salmon, getting them from commercial fishermen who would trade fresh salmon for smoked fish. We tried smoking ling cod, such as the 56-pounder I caught off a dock when I was twelve, but cod doesn't doesn't smoke well. Not oily enough. But we smoked and canned rabbits and wild turkeys and domestic chickens. We raised a steer every year. We live a back-to-the land life, though I thought it to be no different from many of my neighbors, but in later life I thought it to be a lot different. Living a 2-hour ferry ride to the mainland helps make one more self-sufficient, especially in the mid-fifties to mid sixties.

Sometimes when I would come home from college for a visit, storms would arise. One Christmas vacation, the wind blew hard enough to break the under-sea electric cable from the mainland and most of our electricity was out for 2 weeks. The local power co-op would allow us 4 hours of power a day, to keep food from perishing. But newcomers with electric furnaces would try to keep warm by running their car engines and the sheriff deputies had to watch out for that activity. We cooked our meals on a rack in our fireplace that my dad had built from rock from old limestone quarries in the area.

So when my family moved to Idaho in the nineties and lived the first year in two 14-foot travel trailers with no power, the only real problems we had was a steep driveway and clay so bad that five steps made boots so heavy it was hard to walk. A lot of preppers moved to our area in those years, but most had come from urban areas. After a few years, many moved away. It wasn't easy for us in that, although having earth-moving equipment on the Coast made you money, in Idaho, then, no one had money to hire me. After a while we ran out of money. We sold 5 acres and that gave us $250 a month which we lived on for a few years until I got a part time job as a custodian. We would srounge apple which grew wild all over the county and ate cherry plums which are still found on trees by the thousands and cut down as a weed tree.

If I were to have gone through a SHTF time when I was 60, it would have been fairly easy, but age brings on health problems. Still, I currently live a lot of what many would call a survivalist lifestyle. I'm not off the grid, but have a roof water collection system and can heat and/or cook on my wood-stove. We sometimes use a 5-gallon bucket and a plunger to wash clothes and of course our clothes dryer is the sun. Having a roof collection system makes one dependent on a hoped for few summer thunder storms. We don't garden any more, but the fence is up and we have stored seed ready to garden if necessary.

My wife can do some things, but I do much of the cooking, herbal preparations, finances, pressure canning, freezing though she helps me on this stuff, dehydrating. My dad and older brother were both handy in the kitchen and both cooked on fishing boats in Alaska. I even was a cook part of one summer and learned a lot by necessity and not wanting to get yelled at.

But in my area, I don't know of any man who can do what I do. I am not saying this to brag. I just was raised a different way. But there are many Mormons here, and in that culture there is a definite division of labor. I was a Mormon for many years and one was one of only two men who would attend classes on herb gathering, preparing and using herbs and wild plants. I could survive pretty easily in rural areas such as this one, but if I were in a city during such bad times, I probably wouldn't last a month. Too me living or surviving in a city would be way harder than in the country. As we get older, my wife keeps telling me that we should give up this life and move to an are with more stores and people and fancier places to live. Fat chance that'll ever happen. I enjoy this life. It may be hard a lot of the time and it's a little scary sometimes living on the edge, but there is a lot of satisfaction in it. From observing some of the pictures that SARCO 2000 has posted and knowing what life across the Bitterroots would be like, I think this fellow is another exception or for sure will grow into a true survivalist.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:12 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,676 Times in 5,626 Posts

See another doctor and get off of that stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,363 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
But I'm talking about a SHTF scenario. What would you do if the grid went down? Run your generator and hope some guy or guys don't hear it running and decide you are prepared and then come to you? In such a situation you probably would be worried about your pool and with no electricity--no water, no sewage disposal. Sounds like you are prepared but only in a very minor disruption.
Why did you make your question gender specific?? Losing a spouse, or other loved one, is going to come with a great deal of trauma, regardless of gender.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
See another doctor and get off of that stuff.

I've been to several doctors, MD's and naturopaths and many alternative treatments. I nearly died twice from a blood clot and doctor incompetency and one from cellulitis (stepped barefooted on a dog's bone. I have researched my ailment a lot online and have taken a 6-week EMT course. I know that garlic is a blood thinner and that I can naturally thin my blood by taking enough. Trouble is--I don't know how much to take. Every body is different. If I take too much and my blood becomes too thin I am at an amazingly high risk of bleeding in the brain (stroke). If I take too little or else eat kale or broccoli (Vit. K which in tablet form is given to people on warfarin who are bleeding.) my blood will get thicker which is what causes blood platelets to pile up in arteries and veins leading to either a heart attack or a lung embolism.

There are people with my problem who just take garlic or nothing at all and they either have lots of hope or faith or are just lucky or they die. They are kind of like the driver who has never had a flat on his car and therefore never carries a spare. When I drive and see a car jacked up along the side of the road with no one around, that seems to be lack of preparation and someone hoping for luck, faith or hope.

A small electronic device can find where my blood is regarding viscosity, but I can't afford the $3500 price tag that I was told by a nurse. And then I have to have the program on my computer which tells me what mg of tablet I must take and for how long, and of course that program seems to be only for MD's. I only take one prescription drug and when I wait at my drugstore, I see people of all ages spending hundreds of dollars a month for drugs. With medicare, I spend $3-$6 a month. Most people in this country are on drugs of some sort. Diabetes seems to get a lot of people. I eat well and have had neither a cold or flu in 8 years. But as you grow older you have no idea when something's gonna get you.