Survivalist Forum banner

Replace my Coleman fuel lantern with what?

10K views 62 replies 35 participants last post by  Offrink 
#1 ·
Lately been noticing I have a lot of old gear and deciding to make some upgrades where it make sense. Today I noticed this Coleman lantern still on my shelf...been taking up space and probably not used for 10 years, quite possibly even longer than that. I don’t even think people use Coleman fuel for stuff anymore, do they? I am trying to give it away on Craigslist and so far nobody wants it for free :D:

Any suggestions for a replacement campsite lantern? Planning to do a bit more car camping this year so doesn’t have to be ultralight for backpacking. My stove is propane so that is an option. Batteries too as I usually keep a dozen nimh AA’s charged up. I did buy a AAA lantern recently for home use but disappointed as runtime is poor.

Curious what others are using.

#5 ·
I'll take it, I'll pay shipping. Yes, they still are used, yes the fuel is also still used. But if you are looking for a decent re-chargeable lantern, I just got one of these and am very impressed with it. They are pretty small but pack a ton of light. This little light is a heck of a deal for $14.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G24SFYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, any of the many cob lanterns are very bright and efficient on batteries. I also just picked up this pair for $10 and they even came with the batteries for that price, LOL. Magnetic bases and also very bright.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN687VK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#7 ·
I like my total propane camp outfit. I have tree that attaches to the BBQ tank. A lantern fits on top. Then I have 2 of the proper hoses that run a IR Heater/cooker and my converted to propane Coleman 2 burner stove. I have a second propane lantern that runs on 1# throwaway cans I refill for about seventy five cents, for wandering around camp. I still have the Coleman fuel tank and it would still work on the stove. My converted propane stove will work at -25 because the fuel is preheated over the burner.

I also have a hose that attach to the BBQ tank directly to run one propane item at at time.

I have a military gasoline lantern, 2 single burner squad stoves and 2 2 burner ones.

I do my pressure canning on a propane turkey fryer, and have a heavy cast iron 2 burner for other water heating duties.

I have a 4D cell electric lantern that I bought Tenergy rechargeable D cells for plus I changed the bulb to LED. I have some adapters that use AA or AAA Eneloop's to D. I bought a Nitecore I4 charger with the extra cigarette lighter cord so I can the batteries in the truck or off my solar panel, plus AC .

#9 ·
People still use them...and would it matter if they didnt? If the lantern still works use it, if not fix it and run it every so often. The fuel is cheap and with some maintenance they can run for many decades.

I have about 6 coleman fuel lanterns. Ranging from 1950s to 1970s. Also have one coleman fuel dual burner stove.

Propane is nice too. I have a duel burner propane stove too. I could use a propane lantern to really beable to take advantage of many fuels.

How ever LED lights are cheap and not a fire hazard. Any indoor space that needs light Led should be the 1st choice.

#13 ·
I'd keep the coleman lantern personally. Even when not in use anymore, i do have some stuff which i wouldn't throw away.

I have to say i'm a fan of the Goalzero Lighthouse Micro, even though i basically bought it on a whim. Chargeable by USB, dimable, either 2 or 4 leds (half a lantern vs full around light) and good battery life on a lower setting. It's also shock and waterproof. Only downside i find, is the button isn't that easy to operate, and well, lower temperatures, but that's a problem with anything using batteries. There's also a bit more expensive version which you can use as a normal flashlight, but don't have those in stores here. Would have bought that one otherwise.

#15 ·
I have a Coleman fuel lantern and a stove both are from the 70s and are used often for night fishing and camping near the truck. But i have a STREAMLIGHT l.e.d lantern for the boat these are very close to being better than a Coleman every one should put it in there backpack camping setup I have the small one that runs on AAA batteries and can fish several nights with it with out changing batteries I would like to to the larg

#16 ·
Also, any of the many cob lanterns are very bright and efficient on batteries. I also just picked up this pair for $10 and they even came with the batteries for that price, LOL. Magnetic bases and also very bright.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN687VK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have you noted that the top of those COB lanterns come off and you can store three extera batteries in the top.

check with walmart you can buy 4 of these cob lights for $19 sam e light same maker just a diferant brand name on them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camping-...ipment-Batteries-Hurr/833456404?selected=true

#18 ·
2 for $10, 4 for $19, pretty much the same price. I won't ever buy anything from Walmart.com anymore, especially from their third party sellers. I just recently bought a Bushnell TRS-25 from a Walmart.com third party seller and they sent a counterfeit/fake one. It came in a plain white thin tiny cardboard box, no bar codes nothing. I tried to take it to the store to return it after I called and was told by CS that it qualified for in store return, the store gave me an extremely hard time due to the fact that it did not have any bar codes anywhere, after about 45 minutes, they finally said they would print out the shipping label and return ship it UPS. About 2 weeks later I got my "refund" minus $5 for shipping and $4 restocking fee for a fake item. I called CS and pitched a fit and finally got Walmart to provide a $10 gift card to recoup the costs of the BS fees from the scammer seller. NEVER AGAIN

#17 ·
I quit white gas lanterns just cause they stink and eventually everything ends up smelling like gas. Plus, gas is an explosive.
Anyplace I will ever be, there will be trees so I'll just build a fire with wood. For light, there are many options out there today, plus I sleep at night time.

#19 ·
If they are maintained, not difficult, there is extremely little smell. Can burn gasoline, kerosene, desire, or mineral spirits with minor adjustments. Here in the winter it gets light late and dark early. Like soundown at 430. Farther north is even earlier. Ever try to stitch up a wound by candle light. Or how about field dress an animal. How about when it’s raining, all day, for a week. Having a fire? Another light source is a must.

#20 ·
I love my fuel lantern and have been looking at get another one or 2. I have battery lanterns as well for use indoors and need a couple more of them as well.

The folks I camp with like the propane model, but I just can't get past the price and bulk of the canisters.

#21 ·
I use the UST 30 Day Lanterns. I have probably a half dozen.

It's a solid, well made light, plenty bright. Takes 3 D batteries and runs for 30 days on low or 1 day on high. I put rechargeable D batteries in it and got about 2 weeks run time out of it, so with a half dozen rechargeable Ds and a small solar panel you can run it pretty much indefinitely.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Lantern-Lifetime-Emergency-Survival/dp/B075S31F3T

#24 ·
I would stick with the gas lantern or at least not get rid of it. I have 4 or 5 of them. I use them all the time for outdoor activities. They will run for about 16 hours on one tank, I think the tank is about a quart, I use premium gasoline in mine so it costs about $0.04 an hour to run.

Although usually I want the heat of the lantern and the light is a side effect, in fact I have one that I replace the globe with sheet metal and a pot stand so I can use it only for heat and cooking(I thought of cutting a door into the sheet metal so I could get some light out of it by opening the door when needed.)

I have a wooden box that I put my lantern in, sit on the box, then wrap a blanket around myself. I can sit form sunrise to sun set in -20F weather and never get cold other than my feet with the lantern on low underneath me.

It is great for warming up fingers when fishing, it will warm up a small ice shack to be pretty comfortable inside. I am much more likely to have gallons of gas on hand then to have any extra D batteries (that my electric lantern takes) on hand.

There are some down sided of a lantern though. They aren't safe to use around fumes that could explode. They probably aren't a good idea in a barn where there is lots of straw or hay or other very flammable things, they aren't the best for lighting a home in the evening because of smell and fire danger. They can be difficult to light when they have been left outside over night in sub zero weather. The globes and mantles are fragile. If you run dirty fuel in them they can clog up. If you submerge one by accident or neglect you need to clean up the pump withing a few months or it will no longer work.

Although I should point out I like old fashioned things(wooden and rawhide snow shoes, wooden boats, canvas instead of nylon and so on). The guy I go ice fishing with had a couple nice electric lights but when he saw how handy my lanterns were he bought a propane one. Not long later he was complaining about how expensive the propane one was to run and started looking for a second hand gas one.

#25 ·
Much of my house hold lighting is 12 DC LED, and there are some AC LED as well .
I have much preferred DC lighting as it is lees prone to start a fire or add heat to the house .
Gas fired lights are noisy and a nuisance most of the time IMO. However though kerosene is not as bright it is safer to handle in the long run , Still respect for the live flame needs to be strong.
I am on solar and in a post apocalyptic event the solar will be in high demand ,not only for lighting but working electronics as well such as surveillance ,more so than now.
Gas for generators and other engine driven tools as well as stoves will be too valuable to be used for lighting IMO.
Another source for heat I am stock piling is charcoal , not only for cooking but for the forge.
There are other forms of gas one can make that have some universal uses , it's learning them and acquiring the materials for building, which are good for lighting and cooking and other uses , Alcohol and methane .

#27 ·
For many years I used the propane lanterns. Now I use a 12 volt 9 ah battery pack that I made myself to power an LED light strip. It is the only light source that I use around camp at night, and usually leave it on until we all retire to our tents. Which can be very late into the night, as we like to sit around the fire and enjoy the outdoors. The battery pack is recharged the next day with a 30 watt suitcase fold out style solar panel. The battery pack also has an LCD voltage readout display and 2 built in usb ports and is used to recharge phones, walkie talkies, search lights etc. It is a very versatile and useful camping system that has practically unlimited potential for long term use. I still use the propane for the camp stove however. Harbor Freight offers 3 different models of ready made battery packs with a 17 ah battery. The top of the line has a built in compressor and a 110 volt inverter. With a coupon, they can be had for around $30-$60 depending on which model you pick.

#28 ·
Lately been noticing I have a lot of old gear and deciding to make some upgrades where it make sense. Today I noticed this Coleman lantern still on my shelf...been taking up space and probably not used for 10 years, quite possibly even longer than that. I don’t even think people use Coleman fuel for stuff anymore, do they? I am trying to give it away on Craigslist and so far nobody wants it for free :D:

Any suggestions for a replacement campsite lantern? Planning to do a bit more car camping this year so doesn’t have to be ultralight for backpacking. My stove is propane so that is an option. Batteries too as I usually keep a dozen nimh AA’s charged up. I did buy a AAA lantern recently for home use but disappointed as runtime is poor.

Curious what others are using.
I never did get a PM for my shipping address :confused::rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.