Bug out home: houseboat or a trailer in woods? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 157 01-22-2019 07:51 AM
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 09:56 PM
Home Invasion, likely how it might go down Black Knight General Discussion 88 05-29-2018 12:13 PM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 230 04-26-2018 07:37 PM

Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM

Default Bug out home: houseboat or a trailer in woods?

Advertise Here

If you had a choice, which would you rather have, some sort of houseboat on a river, or a trailer out in the woods (on a backroad) a several miles from town, possible with a creek nearby?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to prepperz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,888 Times in 9,063 Posts

Rivers freeze here, so do lakes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,926 Times in 7,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperz View Post
If you had a choice, which would you rather have, some sort of houseboat on a river, or a trailer out in the woods (on a backroad) a several miles from town, possible with a creek nearby?
I would take the boat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,722 Times in 6,026 Posts

Shipping container home on stilts , with houseboat next to river would be my preference.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 08:03 PM
This is a great survival forum

boats sink, and house boats don't move fast enough to get away from danger.

I like sailing and can live on my boat a month at a time very easily. I still would not suggest boat living unless you are using it to move to another place.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 PM

Default Better have a long assed anchor line

Some sort of warning system, and your crowning jewel!
50 Cal Barret with some primo optics.

I would imagine if on an inland lake water and food would be fairly easy (Don't forget to eat the fish guts)

But the "marauders" will eventually start "feeding" off the spoils of the lake (You!)
That's where the 50 cal Barret comes in. (Poor mans recoiless rifle)

The scenario is just such a mess (All scenarios) It's just sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Semore Butts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperz View Post
I would say trailer in the woods, if you're on a houseboat in the middle of a river or a lake you're going to be easy pickings for anybody on the shoreline. Most people will be flocking to lakes and rivers for water and food. If you are Deep In the Backwoods, chances are no one will ever find you, but any yayhoo who with a rifle is going to take potshots at you from the bank and there's not much you're going to be able to do about it. You're just a Sitting Duck
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cam120114 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:26 PM
wanderin' roun somewhars

I'd vote for an RV or camper too. My reasoning is the a boat doesn't provide any cover for escape if you've been found and there's no concealing the house boat unless you find an inlet on an island.

An RV/camper can be moved, providing you have fuel/tow vehicle, and could be painted to camouflage and blend into your surroundings.

Neither one will provide much cover if assaulted but the RV/camper can provide concealment. Easiest way to hide a camper is to park at a RV park or retailer lot, depending on the conditions of SHTF event.

Just my $.02 worth...
The Following User Says Thank You to Elessar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Those are some good points. A trailer in the woods and an evacuation vehicle (small Rv/ Van set up for camping) sounds nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to prepperz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,758 Times in 566 Posts

depends on your location........but those who think a cabin deep in the woods....wherever that is.....are fooling themselves thinking it will not be found...by marauders...if you can get to it so can they
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,596 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
depends on your location........but those who think a cabin deep in the woods....wherever that is.....are fooling themselves thinking it will not be found...by marauders...if you can get to it so can they
Murphy's Law of Survival: No matter how remote you are, how well hidden you are, someone is going to find you at the worst possible time for you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldCorps For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,424 Times in 557 Posts

And also consider, last time I checked, a camper does not sink if there's a big hole in the side. You can throw a blanket over it to keep mosquitoes out. But a boat, if damaged....might make you desperate to paddle to shore, lest all of your preps end up at the bottom of lake/river.
The Following User Says Thank You to vivisky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,675 Times in 6,393 Posts

just watched Cargo (an Aussie zombie flick) made a houseboat look idealic, till it wasn't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,893 Times in 9,294 Posts

A houseboat in the bayou.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM
wanderin' roun somewhars

I'm not sayin' nobody would find a RV/camper. However, unlike a cabin, you can always move the RV/camper as needed. AND, as stated by vivisky, a RV/camper won't sink when you have a few holes poked into it by bullets and such. You can still take your "stuff" with you when you move it...however, swamppapa points out a slightly improved scenario if located in the bayou; that'd work cause of lots of natural camouflage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elessar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,376 Times in 4,317 Posts

When I think about bug out or bug in locations, I think about filters.

In this case, its people you are trying to keep out. Nothing will keep out 100% of them but certain things act like filters to reduce the number you have to deal with. Reduce the population at your location and you reduce competition, reduce competition enough and what would be a threat in large numbers can become an ally.

So lets get to the question. Woods are a filter. Many people are not familiar with them, many people don't know how to navigate in them or have vehicles capable of traveling in them.

But....

Far less people are familiar with the water. Few people are willing to swim more than a few yards, few people have boats and know how to use them. Among those with boats, very few actually have them with them at any given time.

Being able to travel on the water is a powerful filter. Cross a river in a canoe and right there you've left behind 90% of potential threats.

Sure, other people have boats, other people have guns...but you've greatly decreased your exposure to competition by just getting a little ways out in the water.

Any place you can get your RV, someone else could drive up to. Which also goes for your boat but think of how few people have boats compared to trucks.

Now, as always, there are circumstances that change things. You have to take population density into account. If a boat eliminates 90% of people, your still in worse trouble if that boat is in a region with a 1000% more people.

Regardless, always think in terms of filters. Taking an RV up a road? If its a 4x4 only road thats a filter....if you drop a few trees behind you thats another one. (you've reduced your threat set from anyone with a car to anyone with a 4x4 truck AND a chainsaw)

As for bullet holes sinking boats.....not a worry unless your getting hit by heavy machine gun fire. Even with multiple holes your talking hours to sink any large boat with such small holes. Carry a roll of waterproof duct tape, its not a concern.

As a final note, keep in mind the vast difference in weight capacity between an RV and a boat of similar size. A boat can easily carry ten times more weight. Food, water, tools, etc...there is almost no comparison between what a boat can haul and what a land vehicle can. Even just a 16' canoe moved with paddle power can move a thousand pounds of gear.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,995 Times in 1,321 Posts

THE BOAT RIDE... PT 1.

There are 7 parts.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=872210
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,596 Times in 1,881 Posts

When I think of rivers/lakes and boats for a bug-out home, i think of Jack Hinson.

https://www.mca-marines.org/leathern...vil-war-sniper
The Following User Says Thank You to OldCorps For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,086 Times in 20,795 Posts

A trawler on salt water could work. But you take a path straight out to sea till you get over the horizon, then head for an unaffected country that is somewhat hospitable.

Houseboat - no way . Not seaworthy, hence must remain in sheltered waters, which means you are in easy rifle range with no armor. And you stand out like a sore thumb.

Trailer (or just about anything) is better than a houseboat. You can dig a fighting position near it if needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,020 Times in 9,800 Posts

I like boats, but the typical house boat is big, slow, and easy to spot. A smaller fishing/hunting boat with netting and brush makes a lot more sense. Easy to push or tow a barge or Jon boat packed with supplies.

Camp trailers come in a wide variety of sizes and abilities. I've owned several. I would not try and hide a large class A, or 5th wheel in a SHTF environment. But I can see how a short bumper pull trailer could be painted and covered in camo. Phil on Duck Dynasty turned one into a hunting blind.

In either case, the better solution would be to build a series of storage Caches to protect your supplies. If you got there, some one else can too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: