'muggers tricks' and street awareness - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default 'muggers tricks' and street awareness

Advertise Here

One of the retired cops on another thread was posting about some scumbags trying to get him to shake hands, which reminded me of different things to be street aware of. I was wondering if the cops here or anyone else would like to list some street awareness tactics, or stuff the bad guys do to get the better of folk in your part of the world. Always worth re-reading this sort of stuff, its real day to day survival.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Prepared

good post. eager to see answers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,443 Times in 2,585 Posts

I actually thought about that (real or not) quite a bit yesterday as well. That was quite a "smart" tactic by the thug since I usually think of them as being total dumb asses...however, when you are on the streets long enough I'm sure they have picked up quite a few "clever" tactics to win with their crimes.

So, for me...if I have or do not have my pocket gun with me. I will put my hand in my pocket for sure to at least project the possibility that their could be a surprise in there if that scenario ever happens. I will also not fall for the handshake now that its been instilled in my memory.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 11:46 AM
This is a great survival forum

Great idea for a thread.

Some common tricks and ploys used by muggers:

- asking for a "light"
- asking for directions
- asking for the time

These tactics are all used to distract or/and slow you down. It is a "testing" phase to see if you are a good candidate for an ambush.

Being properly situationally aware is key. Spotting them before they have a chance to apply these strategies.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,055 Times in 303 Posts

Did not see the thread with the "hand shake" in it. Could someone post a link or explain in this thread? Thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,559 Times in 8,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC-Trainer View Post
Some common tricks and ploys used by muggers:

- asking for a "light"
I worked a case where a rape began with asking for a light of his cigarette and ended with a gun to her head.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,559 Times in 8,155 Posts

- Sudden friendliness from a stranger

- "Do I know you from XYZ? You sure do look familiar, where do you work?"

- The "you did me wrong" trick to get you to stick around and interact with them. Example: "Hey, you backed into my car", "Hey, your the guy that hit on my girl", "Hey, you dropped something"

- Any stranger who calls me "brother" on the street is suspect.

- "I lost my child/dog around here, I just saw them, I already called the police, can you please help?"

Trust your instincts, trust your instincts, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,213 Times in 586 Posts

The Knock-Out. This kind of stuff happens so fast, the victims usually don't have much of a chance. This didn't happen in an isolated area, but on a busy street. It can happen in seemingly normal circumstances where it is not unusual for people to be walking behind you...say, on the way to a movie theater, restaurant, ball game, festival, etc. (In this case, these guys were in town attending a religious convention and were approaching their hotel around 9 pm.)

This was filmed by a video surveillance camera in front of a New Orleans French Quarter business, and the story was covered in the news media. (IIRC, June 2017)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,371 Times in 6,676 Posts

I'm not a LEO but a current tactic around where I live is then slipping into your car while you get gas. They'll either do it while you're in paying or if you are distracted looking in the rear. Mostly women's purses but they'll grab anything that looks of value.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,042 Times in 1,750 Posts

The following is basic situational awareness, that is, knowing what is occurring around you and using that information to avoid trouble.

Never sit with your back to the door in public buildings. Make sure you have an unobstructed view of who is approaching you, preferably with your back to the wall.

Always know where the exits are.

When walking down the street, know who is behind you. Use reflections in store windows to see behind you. Always watch your back.

Don’t be obviously looking over your shoulder, but pay attention to somebody who is. That is unusual.

Pay attention to anything out of the ordinary.

Feel free to profile. It may not be "kosher" for TSA or some law enforcement, but as a citizen, trust your gut. If individuals make you feel unsafe for any reason, quickly find a quick exit.

Don’t walk around looking at your cell phone. A guy in southern California was so engrossed in his the other day that he walked off a cliff.

It is not just people you pay attention to, it’s also objects that are out of place. Example: what about that unattended backpack sitting on the street corner?

Know what is normal in the area where you are. If anything or anyone seems out of place, take notice. Look for people who are acting pushy, authoritative, overbearing, uncomfortable or just out of place.

Watch the hands. If people are armed with a gun or a knife, they will often pat the area to be sure it is still there.

Don’t assume women are “safe”. Criminals frequently use their "bitches" as lookouts, armed backup and to hide stashes and weapons.

If you see a dangerous situation starting, don’t be afraid to walk away and call someone.

When driving, pay attention to your rear and see if anyone is following you.

ALWAYS maintain enough following distance from the vehicle in front of you that you can see pavement behind its rear wheels, to give you room to evasively manouver. A vehicle tailgating you and another driving slowly or erratically ahead of you is a danger sign, and precursor for a "swooop and squat" staged accident possibly leading to robbery, kidnapping or insurance fraud:

https://www.fbi.gov/services/records...taged-accident
http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.staged.html

Be discreet. Don't be obvious. Don't have your head on a swivel and end up attracting attention.

When you leave an area, talk to companions, wife or children and see what they noticed. Make a game of this. Don’t be paranoid, but start paying more attention to what is going on.

Learn what is normal, then be suspect of anything that isn't.

In the security field we teach the concept of conditions, or levels, of awareness, or state of mind—white, yellow, orange, and red—and that we often drift between them during a typical day, often depending upon our emotions:

Condition white describes someone who is clueless and “a victim waiting for disaster."
He/she will not see a thing, other than her cell phone text messages, until it is too late.

Condition yellow is alert but relaxed. Aware that someone is walking behind on the sidewalk, is aware of someone shopping in the same aisle in the shoe store, sees the manhole cover on the sidewalk, and vehicles (makes and models, even drivers) which take multiple turns with her as he/she drives home. - THIS SHOULD BE YOU! Interestingly, and contrary to common perception condition yellow is not paranoid, but is "prepared." Everyone should stay in condition yellow—women and men—until they encounter a threat.

Condition Orange defines when a specific threat has been identified, such as the man who followed you around the block and is now standing next near your car. Once a threat is recognized move to Condition Orange. Whistle in mouth, activate cell ready to speed dial, then reach for pepper spray. Realize you are under surveillance—and are being followed...Take steps to either put distance and cover between you and the threat, prepare to fight to escape.

Condition Red: Imminent threat of attack. Stranger has blocked your path, attempts to force you into a direction you to not want to go with intent to kidnap or attack. Decision is now Flight or Fight. (Always Flight First!) Run, blow whistle, yell, run, engage with pepper spray, and break off contact.

RED Starts the "force continuum," if a threat is remains persistent then fight dirty, if available use deadly force!~.

By remaining in Condition Yellow, you can avoid many situations before danger, often when an assailant is still planning... Most predators, follow a similar, chain-of-attack (unless they find a “target of opportunity”).

Predators will:

Select a target

Follow and surveil to identify habits and route

Finalize a plan, or if YOU are alert, confident, possibly choose another, softer target

Surveille the target some more, and lastly,

Deploy at a site along a usual route, waiting on the “X” (figuratively, the spot where he wants to kidnap, rape, assault, or even seduce a woman—for some sexual predators, it might be the back seat of his car)

The optimum time to thwart an assault is always early on—the earlier the better: better to identify the threat when he first approaches, strikes up a conversation, or is following, rather than waiting until you are standing on the “X”, or is in the back seat of a predator’s vehicle, where the outcome is NOT going to be good.

Choose NOT to be a victim.

Body language, situational awareness, stride, and walking pace are major precipitators for victimization.

1.) Stay in shape — your fitness is your most effective weapon.
2.) Look sharp, confident, alert, don't "look like a victim."
3.) Move like you belong there, with authority and stay light on your feet.
4.) Speak calmly but firmly. Maintain eye contact, but always watch hands! Don’t bluff.
Criminals lie and bluff for a living, and they’re better at it than you.
6.) Keep your eyes moving and scan with a purpose.

Be polite, confident, and professional. Know what it takes to look — and be, if necessary — dangerous in the eyes of the criminal predator.

Suggested reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...ea38aed42bb3a0

https://www.amazon.com/Fear-Less-Saf...e+becker+books

https://www.amazon.com/Other-Surviva...40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Surviv...40_&dpSrc=srch
Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,871 Times in 1,289 Posts

BEST PREP...

avoid those areas where the muggings take place.

I know folks who have spent their whole lives in high crime cities and never got their hair messed simply because they avoided "those areas".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
BEST PREP...

avoid those areas where the muggings take place. I know folks who have spent their whole lives in high crime cities and never got their hair messed simply because they avoided "those areas".
That's fine as long as you know the area.

Suppose, as once happened to me, in a parallel universe on another planet long ago and far away, that your flight is diverted, landing at a different airport, and you are required to disembark in a strange city we will simply call "BFE," you don't have contacts in the local area or know the local language, there is no US consulate there, and on top of that your luggage is lost and you have only your pocket contents.

Then sucks to be you and all bets are off...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
That's fine as long as you know the area.

Suppose, as once happened to me, in a parallel universe on another planet long ago and far away, that your flight is diverted, landing at a different airport, and you are required to disembark in a strange city we will simply call "BFE," you don't have contacts in the local area or know the local language, there is no US consulate there, and on top of that your luggage is lost and you have only your pocket contents.

Then sucks to be you and all bets are off...
THEN I stay at the airport and take the first thing smoking back to "civilization."
Airlines are responsible for getting you to destination. Put you up if there is no flight and you have to over night. Why would you not hold them to the fire?

I certainly would not go on a "walkabout" to check on the native culture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
THEN I stay at the airport and take the first thing smoking back to "civilization." Airlines are responsible for getting you to destination. Put you up if there is no flight and you have to over night. Why would you not hold them to the fire? I certainly would not go on a "walkabout" to check on the native culture.
American carriers "mostly" follow those rules, even overseas, but American carriers do not fly everywhere. Caution for those taking contract work for multi-national corporations, if your work requires you to go someplace via a non-US or non-EU carrier, and the situation on the ground changes, your US passport may make you a target, and if DOS doesn't have a military hop for you, then your choices quickly become more limited.

Any US nationals who managed to yet out of Iran or Yemen are good examples...

I don't care how good the money is, my advice is to never work for "foreign devils."

Also be careful where you choose to go on "vacation...." I worked in and travelled all over rural Mexico and Central America, in the 1970s and '80s, and helped out in Haiti after the earthquake. I wouldn't dream of doing so today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Better Looking Than You

Thanked 2,311 Times in 593 Posts

Mugging attempts and ruses, such as the potential one mentioned in the "handshake thread" are common. Asking for a light, or for the time, or just about any distraction can be used as already mentioned by OC-Trainer.

The "ask" is a soft probe to see if you will allow your personal space to be violated. A seemingly innocuous or innocent request to get inside your personal space which I personally define as two and a half arm lengths is the probe and evaluation phase for the suspect.

Another probe that I have seen trending is the person who "accidentally" gets inside your personal space. As they are approaching, they look like they are distracted by their phone. Staring intently at the screen of their phone until they bump you, or are close enough to launch the grab for a package or purse (backpack, laptop case, etc...). Approaching a potential target at a gas pump (you're naturally paying attention to other things here, let's face it...a running gas pump is something important to monitor) with an empty gas can claiming to have run out, asking for cash to "Help get them home to Albuquerque". If you pull out money...boom...they either take it as a didge for a panhandle, or the pair of stooges you didn't see take you off for everything you have in a closed and confined space.

Virtually anything innocent looking or used as a visual distraction can be the probe. You/we evaluate people as they approach us all the time provided we see them and take notice of them. Someone will scream SITUATIONAL AWARENESS! Cool, duly noted...but they're probably typing it while their "situational awareness" is focused on their smart phone. I can't tell you how many tactical doods I see, dressed in their fashionable 5.11s and UA t-shirts with their heads up their asses staring at their damned phones.

Predatory humans notice and evaluate everyone they see. Everyone. Their choice in potential victims come from how you fit into their profile. Being distracted, looking at your phone, concentrating on some other task, or walking with your eyes down, shoulders slumped, trying to be invisible...basically looking like a victim, or the weakest member of the herd are all the things they look for.

If you don't carry yourself like a victim, you are't seen as a victim. Head up, shoulders back, eyes moving. All of these things are warning signals to a human predator. You are the one they will avoid when there are other, weak herd members around.

Back in the 80s, there was a really good article and video where armed robbers and muggers were interviewed about how they chose victims. They were shown videos of people moving through daily life and all of them picked the same choices in victims, and chose to avoid the same ones, all based on body language and how aware someone appeared to be. In fact, many of them thought many civilians were cops just based on how they carried themselves.

Another study that we saw when I was in the academy a hundred years ago back when Lincoln was still in the White House was how suspects would evaluate their chances on engaging a cop in a fight based on their gun. If an officer was carrying a revolver with the old, skinny, "magna" style grips common on the old Model 10 pencil barrel 38s, they figured he or she was not a "gun person" and wasn't practiced in their use. However, if an officer had "custom" grips on their gun it was a tell that they were serious about its use. Back when semiautos were not common, a cop who carried a semiauto was the one least likely to be targeted for a fight. This was from professional criminals, not "moment of passion" criminals, but the evidence bears out the same kind of information and evaluation of a potential target remains the same.

You will notice that when you approach an officer, they will most likely get into a bladed interview stance. Personally, I did this without even noticing I did it. It became ingrained. Bladed, arms crossed loosely so they were above the belt line, ready to move in defense or offense. This wasn't meant to be unfriendly, just a significant body language warning to anyone who noticed that the officer was a poor choice in victim. Some body language experts call it "putting on your armor".

I have noticed civilians do this. Generally, they were the people who were truly aware of their surroundings and much more alert that 97% of the rest of the population. I never saw them approached by panhandlers or other "nefarious characters" when other potential targets were available.

When I taught defensive tactics at the academy, I really enjoyed the "pre-assaultive cues" body language section when I got to it. It covers all the bod language that should signal you to start creating distance and being ready to defend yourself, from the old "blowing off steam", balling and unballing of fists, rocking up and down on heels, target stare, all of it.

The point is that claiming your personal space is something that few people do out of sheer lack of awareness, and then even if they become aware of someone invading their space, they don't claim it because they don't want to be seen as "unfriendly" or nowdays "profiling someone based on their race".

When I take my daughter to the mall (ugh)....I carry what I jokingly refer to as a "tactical soda" in my left hand. I buy the biggest soda in an ice filled cup that I can, and I carry it in my left hand. I don't drink soda, but imagine a face full of ice cold beverage in the face of someone who you HONESTLY and REASONABLY believe to be about to commit to an assault and how distracting that would be allowing you to create space in what is otherwise a crowded and restrictive environment. It is non injury causing, but it will allow you to immediately create space to a more advantageous position from which to mount an effective defense using whatever tool is appropriate to the moment.

That face and chest full of 44 or 64 ounces of icy sugar water will stall, stop, and reset their whole stream of consciousness, but what it does is put you back into the driver's seat. Even if you are wrong..."accidentally spilling a soda" on someone is not a crime. Of course...accidentally. Accidentally. But honestly, within the totality of the circumstances, you're probably not going to be wrong about a potential assault because a lot of mall crawlers will start their wolfing and intimidation act giving you all the warning you need.

Claiming your personal space can simply be you squaring up to someone who is approaching you and putting your empty hand palm out toward them and saying "That's close enough". It sends a strong, non threatening signal that I see you, I am not surprised, and I am ready for whatever poorly planned mischief you have in mind, and most importantly, that you are not a good victim.

You can be forgiven for losing a fight, but you can't be forgiven for being surprised. You should never have the first thought that comes to your mind in the middle of an assault be "Oh my God! What is happening to me?".

Your thought should be "I thought something like this could happen, but I was ready for it. I wonder how this chud is going to walk with his knee hyper-extended and his elbow dislocated?".

Oh yeah...Never get into the windowless van unless you see the candy first.
No, I read your last post. At first I merely rolled my eyes and shook my head, but then nearly had to quit reading because I was worried that your brand of stupid was contagious because everyone who agreed with you seemed to drop IQ points with every word.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Born 120 years too late.

A FRIEND of mine was gassing his ride in not the best of areas when he was approached by a guy who asked him a question then indicated he had a gun in his jacket pocket and said "gimmeyourmoney"

MY buddy, an ex green beanie wearer calmly pulled the nozzle from the tank and sprayed down the guy with a gallon or so of 87 octane then said "Go ahead and shoot." The guy never pulled the gun and instead thought he should probably get out of his gas soaked clothes. The station surveillance tapes were good enough to find the guy because in his shock at getting the petro bath he looked square into a camera.

My bud said the cops taking the report were laughing so hard he thought they were going to hurt themselves.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Did not see the thread with the "hand shake" in it. Could someone post a link or explain in this thread? Thanks.
I believe he said he was being tested by a couple of gang types who wanted to shake his hand, which he felt could have led to his master hand being occupied or trapped by both no.1 guys hands while no.2 assaults him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 PM

A few decades ago I was walking to my car. I saw a guy trying to hide behind a tree but I ignored him. I turned my back to him and started to unlock my car door. He started to quietly run toward me. I waited until he was a few steps away, then I turned around real quick, took up a shooting stance, put my right hand behind my back like I was reaching for a gun, and smiled real big. He was like a cartoon character putting on the brakes, back pedaling, falling down, and ran away as fast as his scared little feets could go.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SurToy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 59,366 Times in 19,246 Posts

Not letting them get close AND not letting them distract you from your 6.

As has been said:
Projecting "cop" or what's more accurate: "Not Food" will keep most predators away.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 10:36 PM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

Thanked 1,686 Times in 629 Posts

I like to watch videos put out by the youtube channel called Active Self Protection(ASP). Lots of examples of things going sideways for people and how each video can give you a lesson on 'How to cover your ASP' <---The presenter says that at close of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE...h84mw/featured
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TitanRX8 For This Useful Post: