Useful tools - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 99 08-11-2019 10:58 AM
post event buisness and trade mrnorth General Discussion 13 02-18-2018 01:37 AM
Buyback Program Turns Guns Into Gardening Tools AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 12-18-2017 04:22 PM
Leather working tools 2wheelslave DIY - Do It Yourself 2 10-02-2017 10:58 PM
Tools Used Around The Farm AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-22-2017 12:00 AM

Old 01-28-2018, 11:09 AM

Advertise Here

One thing not mentioned here, I use to carry as a pilot in my flight bag.

I had an old ball/peen hammer to break glass if I needed to.
Wooden handle, cut short, about 7", Not heavy.

Claw handle would be better for shtf BO bag, but my ball peen did not snag on stuff, could carry it in my back pocket.

.99 cents at a garage sell.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee308 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryter View Post
A night vision monocular, Bear spray (much more effective than pepper spray) and lock picks are a few useful items I didn't see mentioned above.
Kimber Pepper Blaster is VERY effective, 2 good shots...concealable, legal just about anywhere, smaller and cheaper than bear spray, I have 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to cougarfan45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 PM

One tool I carry everywhere is a riggers knife, They usually have a marlin spike and shackle tool. ( https://www.westmarine.com/rigging-knives ) while it isn't a "Go-To" for most people if you ever have to splice rope or make a eye splice it makes the job much easier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Critter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
What are some tools that would be very helpful for a ghb or bob in a urban or suburban setting?
Lock picks, door ram, crowbar.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
bolt cutters are more or less a okay for chain link or low grade chain or the old padlock though might have less use the longer you go..

typically I would setup more or less a recovery kits as a bare minimum
I have big bolt cutters in my BOV and also lots of clear plastic ties to hook the chain back together, makes it look like the chain is intact.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:44 PM

My car is my bob. Lots of stuff accumulated! Didn't do me **** though in -20 F breakdown with my car. I needed a candle to provide heat inside the cockpit... did NOT have one! Took 1 hour for wrecker to get to me! Nasty nasty nasty. Candles are to be added next! Just don't set you car on fire with them!

Last edited by MikeK; 01-29-2018 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Do not bypass the language filter. Reread site rules for clarification.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinhands For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,111 Times in 969 Posts

Better than a candle (in my eyes) is taking a pint sized metal paint can, take the center out of toilet paper roll, stuff it inside and add denatured alcohol. Light that and you have a great, relatively safe heat source. When ready to extinguish, just put the lid on and when cool, tap down tight and it is sealed for next time.

I keep 36” bolt cutters, rock hammer, large ball peen hammer, (you can hit the wedge of the rock hammer with the other and also pry hard with them) and standard 2 Phillips and standard screwdrivers, hose clamps, zip ties, channel locks, fencing pliers, and a boys ax.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Hiker

http://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bear...ts-difference/

I was told that bear spray was LESS potent than regular pepper spray? Comments?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM
Hunter

I have no issues in recommending the use of bolt cutters though practical of carrying them as part of your bob/ghb/god bag be a bit more realistic given its impractical..

as part of a vehicle recovert kit yes though with limitation..

multitools nice to have though in some cases it is better to have proper tools in double in a pinch.

sometimes multitools are a great asset to have though much like the swiss army knife i just picked up a dunn multitool however it on a practicality of using it in the disaster not really

though the reality is it is a 5lbs weight because it is a min of 2 tools per person because 2 is better than 1 and reality a basic tool kit with a few hex drivers will likely reduce this weight by half..

the dunn i just got is great as a fishing tool though I wouldn't rely on it as a general purpose tool because it itself out weighs a screw drive by a factor of 2 lbs..

I would consider a hex driver or 6 with torx bits as a viable pack option

though the dunn would help in a pinch though wouln't rely on it as a long term utility tool as it is to cumbersome to use.....

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Prepared

A box hatchet is pretty a versatile tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Wade-.../dp/B0186D4K12
Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 PM

A crowbar is a good thing to have. I carry this little one on my Pack. Iphone 4s for scale. Plus they can come in as a weapon in a pinch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dwrcm95.png
Views:	53
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	251370  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:24 AM

Fold up mini shovel, machete and tomahawk. I never leave home without them. A hatchet is also very useful, but if you have Tomahawk you probably won't need a hatchet...That's a discussion for another day.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:54 AM
Hunter

i love hatchets as a secondary tool, though a proper axe a need and requirement because hatchets in general waste to much energy to use and abuse..

don't get me wrong they have their uses though long term use not so much..

a chain saw with multiple length bars would also be a good option to have..

though sadly we are getting outside the realms bob,ghb and discriptive you call a tool bag..

basics for these types of bags food water some form of break down gun, torch , clothing and spare footwear..

typical tool kits: 2sets of screw drivers, 2 sets of sockets , 2 sets of wrenches, a recovery kit or 3, 2 winches..

marker lights
bolt cutters

and the list and weight goes on

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
I'm using Harbor Freight as reference examples but of course scale up to the quality/price you prefer. Which of the following cutters would be your choice and why?

8in dykes
9in linemans pliers
10in fencing pliers
10in cable cutters
12in bolt cutters (not anything larger)

I used to keep the linesmans pliers in my FD bunker gear, but switched over to the cable cutters for the extra "oomph." They definitely cut better but I'd like to hear other thoughts. Also, what prybar would you stock to maximize door breaching while minimizing weight (with the understanding lower impact is better and we aren't talking about haligans here). Would the standard 15 inch prybar be beafy enough for the task? Probably on most residential doors. Might need too much tool to be worth carrying for anything more.
12" bolt cutter with aluminum handles. Light weight and will cut just about anything that will fit into the jaws (will not cut hardened steel locks)
I keep one in the vehicle to cut fences along the highway if shtf. Make my own exit ramp.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:08 PM

Tomahawk is the most versatile tool you will ever find. It is good for many different situations. Put one in the back of your car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adventure Wolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 04:09 AM

A metal handle 22-26oz framing hammer is great to have. It's a good pry bar, you can chop with the claws, reach and grab stuff with it. Dig with it, chisel with it. Smash things. The hammer definitely packs a punch.

You can break through walls, pry open doors, use it for self defense. Once at a job site I even saw someone reach up and grab the top of a tall wall with the claws of an estwing hammer and use it to help pull themselves up to get on top of the wall. Just like a small grappling hook. It's an extremely versatile tool.

Even now with how everyone uses pneumatic nail guns and rarely drives a single nail with a hammer anymore, everyone still carries a framing hammer because they're just so versatile and useful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flip888 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 10:25 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,039 Posts

Hey flip888,

A little off subject but: A straight claw hammer saved me from falling off a roof twice. A combination of saw dust and frost in a shady area of the roof. Drove the claws through the plywood and my legs up to my belt buckle were hanging over the edge of the roof. Never worked on a roof without a straight claw hammer.

Good item to have if you can carry the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip888 View Post
A metal handle 22-26oz framing hammer is great to have. It's a good pry bar, you can chop with the claws, reach and grab stuff with it. Dig with it, chisel with it. Smash things. The hammer definitely packs a punch.

You can break through walls, pry open doors, use it for self defense. Once at a job site I even saw someone reach up and grab the top of a tall wall with the claws of an estwing hammer and use it to help pull themselves up to get on top of the wall. Just like a small grappling hook. It's an extremely versatile tool.

Even now with how everyone uses pneumatic nail guns and rarely drives a single nail with a hammer anymore, everyone still carries a framing hammer because they're just so versatile and useful.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 PM

There are some great ideas in these posts. Allow me to suggest a specialized but inexpensive tool for home or car kits: The Dixon 5 hole hydrant wrench & spanner wrench. About 15” of lightweight pot metal. About $20. A big silcock key to tap a hydrant for water, without damaging the hydrant. FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY. It is illegal to tap with hydrants , without a permit, for any reason other than an emergency.

Where weight is an issue, a 21” Ti pry bar, 600gr.s/ 21oz.s, about $80 or a 12” Ti Dimpler-Nail Puller bar, 8.5oz.s, same price. Google is ur friend to hop for both at best price. The curved top on the 21” bar gives great leverage. It can also dig and to a limited extent, chop. The small right angle pry top on the Dimpler has similar, but more limited capability.

Finally, a ~ 25” (overall length), D-handle, round point garden shovel, $15-$25 depending on the handle material. Light in weight and carries easily in the car, can be backpacked and moves much more dirt or snow, more easily, than an army type folder or CS shovel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron880 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 12:18 AM

I actually missed on in my post. The second versatile tool you should have is a foldable digging spade. Also throw one of those in your trunk.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,923 Times in 790 Posts

Buck91's suggestion for this... or similar...

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-h...ers-63825.html

looks real good to me. Because I'm thinking a tool to cut chain-link fence would be very handy. Not only for access/escape, but chain link is a very good construction asset. Stops animal intrusions, can be rigged as a hammock, can be used in expedient shelter building.

That and the framing hammer/ax (http://www.lewiscontractorsales.com/...Lw_wcB)....and the silcock key. And the adapter that screws into a
light socket to plug an extension cord or whatever into.

Many excellent selections here.

Thank you posters deprogramming services and cook.
The Following User Says Thank You to rio nueces For This Useful Post: