Fill Your OWN Propane Tanks... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster propane tanks and the propane tank graveyard. (Pictures) Rockyriver General Discussion 16 04-10-2019 09:31 AM
Propane: Fill large tank from small? CoolPrepper DIY - Do It Yourself 27 01-02-2019 07:44 PM
Big Propane Tanks Near House (BOL) Duelist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-21-2017 09:17 PM
20 Lb Portable Propane Tanks TXplowgirl Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 07-23-2015 01:44 AM
small propane tanks fisherman50 Urban Survival 12 05-10-2012 08:15 AM
propane tanks jack1 Urban Survival 21 04-29-2012 10:26 PM
questions about bbq propane tanks real wowwee Urban Survival 32 02-13-2012 05:59 PM
Rhino Propane Tanks Medic73 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-30-2011 12:23 AM
Refilling 1 ib Propane Tanks greenbm Urban Survival 9 01-05-2009 04:42 PM
Propane tanks kev Survival Discussion, Articles, Reviews and Videos 27 08-06-2008 06:57 PM

Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 25,009 Times in 7,888 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Fill Your OWN Propane Tanks...

Advertise Here

This is cool! We have an 1100 gal. "mother" tank that we had a wet-valve or wet-leg installed in...while it was full!

Now we can fill any tanks with it...even those "illegal" ones that "can't" be filled from propane vendors...not that I'd ever do that

Pic 1: tank and hose overview
Pic 2: lower liquid valve
Pic 3: filling unit

A bit pricey ($600, parts and labor), but handy as heck!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40 ac. 10-8 propane, sauna, misc 022.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	22237   Click image for larger version

Name:	40 ac. 10-8 propane, sauna, misc 023.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	22238   Click image for larger version

Name:	40 ac. 10-8 propane, sauna, misc 024.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	22239  
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Hope is not a method

Whats the tank pressure exchange ratio? Curious to see what propane is all about, never had it. Makes sense to be able to fill smaller tanks for other uses.

Excellent purchase.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Lone Wolf

only reason those other tanks were illegal was they didn't have an overfill valve inside. ifin ya get a flow meter to register how many gallons ya put into the little tanks the "illegal" tanks are perfectly fine. just don't turn on yur fill an' walk away is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I love this forum

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by isopsycho View Post
Whats the tank pressure exchange ratio? Curious to see what propane is all about, never had it. Makes sense to be able to fill smaller tanks for other uses.

Excellent purchase.
I'm not sure what you mean by that?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Hope is not a method

Whats the main tanks pressure versus the fill tank pressure? I'm assuming the main tank must be higher pressure to fill a smaller tank to a certain max pressure fill using a regulator?

Kinda like the air conditioner system on a car, can only fill from the low pressure side because of the pressure ratio.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Free Mason

For the older tanks there is a scerw in the side of the valve. When you are filling the tank open this screw a few turns. This lets out some gas, when it sputters liquid stop filling the tank and close the screw. The tank is now safeley filled to 80%. No need to weigh or measure flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to homesteader1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I love this forum

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Whats the main tanks pressure versus the fill tank pressure? I'm assuming the main tank must be higher pressure to fill a smaller tank to a certain max pressure fill using a regulator?

Kinda like the air conditioner system on a car, can only fill from the low pressure side because of the pressure ratio.
OK...gotcha. I THINK the main tank is something like 110 psi...not sure though. The tank to be filled is zero pressure.

Propane is strange though. Had a small leak in a full 100 gal tank so we had to replace the bad valve. We drained off the pressure and replaced the valve, but still had approx. 70% of the propane left because of the "boiling" characteristics of propane!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

I started stocking propane tanks a few months ago. The best deal I found locally was about $43 for a full tank that was in very good condition (still had original paint, I see some that are spray painted over rust so they look new).
After buying a couple, I found out that some places are filling 20 lb. tanks to only 15 lbs. I don't know if this is a new ordinance, or if some of them are just being extra cautious.
Anyway, I recently stared going to Lowes and buying brand new tanks,for about $33, then getting them filled to 20 lbs. for another $17. It works out to be a little more money, but I feel better knowing that have properly filled,new tanks that I know haven't been mis-treated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Prepared

You can get an older tankk from yard sales, flea markets, take it to the gas stations that exchange them for filled ones, cost about $20, you get a newer tank, and then keep that and get it filled from a dealer.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Jack of all trades

My dad's 500Gal. tank already had the wet leg so dad asked the delivery driver about setting it up to fill the 20lb tanks. Next time we had a delivery, the driver brought the hose/fittings and put 'em on. Only charged dad $40, guess he was lucky!

You can also buy a screw-on adapter to refill the 1lb "disposable" propane tanks. You refill them from the 20lb tanks (have to turn the 20lb upside down). I got mine at Tractor Supply for ~$22, Harbor Freight also has them.

Roger
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Hiker

Quote:

In liquid propane tanks the ability to fill is not derived from pressure but the fact that the fuel is liquid. (Notice that the wet leg is on the bottom of the mother tank) When the fill valve is attached to the smaller tank and opened, liquid propane is allowed to flow into the smaller tank. A small amount boils into gas until the small tank reaches the pressure that will keep the liquid from boiling (177psi @ 100 deg. F)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to technojunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Hope is not a method

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie View Post
In liquid propane tanks the ability to fill is not derived from pressure but the fact that the fuel is liquid. (Notice that the wet leg is on the bottom of the mother tank) When the fill valve is attached to the smaller tank and opened, liquid propane is allowed to flow into the smaller tank. A small amount boils into gas until the small tank reaches the pressure that will keep the liquid from boiling (177psi @ 100 deg. F)
So the boil off rate is not very fast so the pressure built by the boil off doesn't effect the propane transfer? Also, the boil off that makes the pressure/gas is what the propane burner actually burns (the gas not the liquid)? Explains why the use valve is on top and not the bottom and the transfer valve on the bottom. Cool didn't know that, learn something new everyday!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,301 Times in 26,248 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Is there a way to make that refill system "portable"? If after the "Big One" you came across an abandonedtank with propane inside., could it be hooked up to remove some of the gas.

A 250 gallon tank might be difficult to move, but a couple small ranks might "Get'er done"
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM

I found that many people get rid of old propane tanks and they collect in a pile at the dump. I pick up a couple of these old tanks and trade them at Lowes just by doing a tank exchange. I get a new style tank filled for about $16.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
So the boil off rate is not very fast so the pressure built by the boil off doesn't effect the propane transfer?Correct, and by having the vent screw open the gas is forced out as liquid fills from the bottom up Also, the boil off that makes the pressure/gas is what the propane burner actually burns (the gas not the liquid)? Explains why the use valve is on top and not the bottom and the transfer valve on the bottom. Cool didn't know that, learn something new everyday!
Correct, which is why home tanks are mounted horizontally, it increases the surface area of liquid which can boil off. Remember that when liquids become gaseous they cool driving the temperature of the liquid down. In the bitter cold winter areas it isn't uncommon for smaller tanks (50-100 gallons) to not be able to provide enough fuel for heating due to the low ambient temp, and their self induced cooling.

As for making this 'portable' I would personally think it quite hazardous to attempt installation on a tank that had propane in it. (I was wondering how they managed with the OP's tank being filled.)
Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,163 Times in 3,372 Posts

Why was it $600? Is that with the price of the tank and fuel?