Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uncommon items in your pack Potantsuem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3511 09-25-2019 02:22 AM
Recap of Uncommon Items In Your Bug Out Bag (BOB) UtahJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 68 02-22-2019 03:55 AM
Uncommon Tricks and Tips... DigitalDrifter Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 189 03-28-2015 07:08 PM
Uncommon items at your BOL Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-14-2014 01:43 AM
What Uncommon Gear is in your Kit/BoB? Sassinak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 04-25-2012 03:25 PM
Uncommon discusion item Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 03-11-2012 05:54 PM
Common sense... is very uncommon. survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 02-28-2011 12:51 PM
An uncommon value on pear tree Harmless Drudge Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 05-08-2010 09:44 AM
Uncommon wound dressings Shrapnel08 Health, Fitness and First Aid 17 04-02-2009 12:01 AM
uncommon bug out bag help mgd_only Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 09-15-2008 01:09 PM

Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Default More uncommon items in your backpack.

Advertise Here

Hey, I really love this site but I was just thinking about something today and it kind of bothered me a little, so I'm making this comment. I see so many threads about common and uncommon items in your BOB's, some really good and some not so good. Since i'm ex-military (13B) if anyone is interested, and I'm at work right now and have little to do at the moment I have plenty of time to think about the little things. In your bags you have everything from food, guns, hammocks, tarps, ect... listed which is great, somethings I haven't thought of. But being ex-military we also had a thing such as a duffle bag as part of our issue items and in it we carried extra clothing both hot and cold wheather, we had underwear, oh how I would miss underwear in a bug out situation or socks for example. For me a bug out situation has several bags that will leave with me and are packed and ready and I thought some of you might get something out of this so I posted. Thanks for your time and I was wondering have you guys thought of this? Cause when it's time to go it's time to go. Oh I forgot noone ever mentions water proof bags to keep your gear dry, it seems as long as you have a gun and knife you can hunt, skin and tan your own underwear.

Last edited by maxwell2287; 09-11-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maxwell2287 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
LOST!!!!

my bob is next to my camping gear in the garage. so if i need to leave in a hurry, i grab my camping gear which i already have organized in several duffle bags.
my bob has a 2 person tent and other gear, but my camping gear has a family tent and all the stuff i use for family camping trips. I always keep other gear next to that stuff as well, water, tools, fuel, etc. so if i have to leave in a few minutes notice, i can get the gear in the garage in the car while the wife gets the kids and any other misc. stuff.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 7,044 Times in 2,998 Posts

mine is always packed and ready to go!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,732 Posts

Im still building mine and it sits next to my bed where I access a flashlight and knife, about another month I reckon till its complete, hope nothing happens in between.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2287 View Post
Oh I forgot noone ever mentions water proof bags to keep your gear dry, it seems as long as you have a gun and knife you can hunt, skin and tan your own underwear.
My Survival, BOB, GHB and 3 day packs are either waterproof or all of the gear, supplies and food is packed in waterproof bags, Pelican cases and 1 gallon zip locs.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Ahhh shoot, I thought you's talking about my blow up doll, my fuzzy dice, little down feather and vibrator.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,839 Times in 2,811 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I keep extra socks and undies as well as a change of clothes and spare pair of boots in my BOB. Also have a black coverall (actually, it is a flight suit) that can be pulledd on over clothes to hide dirt. Everything in my BOB is organized into "kits", according to function (food/cooking; utility; shelter; water; hunting/trapping; first aid etc.) and each "kit" is packed in a 1 or 2 gallon ziplock bag--not only do they keep things together and dry, but they can also double as extra water carriers/storage).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Infowars.com

lock pick and some small bells and fishing line, never heard mention of this so, can set up a fishing line perimeter around trees at certain height of campsite at night attach bells as an expedient alarm system for coyotes, bears, deer, or what not, rather than wondering if every possum or coon is a percieved larger animal out there stalking around. A simple lock pick might come in handy too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jammie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Prepared

I keep hemp and deer skin lace in my bag (darn strong stuff) also something else that I am goign to put in once my friend finishes them is a pair of mocassins (the native american shoes made from leather) they fold flat so they take up hardly any room.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:08 AM
paracordoutfitters.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammie View Post
lock pick and some small bells and fishing line, never heard mention of this so, can set up a fishing line perimeter around trees at certain height of campsite at night attach bells as an expedient alarm system for coyotes, bears, deer, or what not, rather than wondering if every possum or coon is a percieved larger animal out there stalking around. A simple lock pick might come in handy too.
+1 On the lock picking tool or set.
I carry this one:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AwakenedPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftothestars View Post
Im still building mine and it sits next to my bed where I access a flashlight and knife, about another month I reckon till its complete, hope nothing happens in between.
I know my home could walk around all the junk on the floor blind folded..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM

You only need 2 pairs of underwear. Get the synthetic wicking kind, Exofficio makes great ones. Wash one pair, wear the other. I have also worn a pair up to a week without washing them, with no problems.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Prepared

A) disgusting lol (I have done it before as well so DONT JUDGE)
B) there are some of us who sweat alot so that could get uncomfortable
3) just kill and tann some little wabbit skins and sew them together for underbritches
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Trapper

Hmm weird things? I keep a full lockpick set (Its actually a full automotive pick set but has a few tools that work for picking just about any lock) a waterproof shock proof digital camera (would be nice to have some things documented) and a couple blinkys for my dogs collar's.

I have 2 pelican cases in my EDC bag that hold all of my electronics and will probably throw in a gallon zip lock baggie or two for water storage after reading some post's about that. Also love the idea of fishing line and bells. I keep at least one extra change of clothes in my truck year round (which varies depending on the time of year. And hell no I will not wear the same pair of underwear for a week! I do like my Under Armour boxers though. Also keep a pair of redwings and some thick rubber boots in the back just in case. And a sawzall which works off of my permanently mounted power inverter. I also have a storage of phone chargers to fit most cell phones available today. And gift cards, I would say they are the last "weird" thing in my EDC bag but they are more for when im broke since they probably wont be worth a penny if the SHTF
Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

A couple of pairs of shop coveralls would be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Prepared

its not all that wierd but the wierd thing is more for why, I keep a zip lock of pine tar (I think that is the name for it, its the stuff you get out of a cut in a pine tree) but the reason I carry it is not so much for the firemaking capabilities (though I do love it for that) but rather as a trade good. also I keep a min. of one roll of jute/hemp twine and a roll of deer skin lace, it is good stuff and has many many uses
The Following User Says Thank You to bibn8rjr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Target Shooter

Haha, pine sap? What do you use that for? I always have tweezers, have 4 pairs just incase lol. Have you ever had a 2cm splinter under your fingernail? NOT FUN! Get's infected as hell and hurts like buggery! Lol. Also have yellow cord, like fluoro yellow. Great for marking a track or something if lost. Really small and strong, can be used for all the normal ropey things too haha.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Getting there....

Nail clippers and Q-tips. I won't leave without either.
The Following User Says Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 PM

I'm planning on putting some gold coins in my BOB. Best currency if SHTF.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 AM
V

Thanked 34,644 Times in 13,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Bowhunter View Post
Haha, pine sap? What do you use that for?
Apart from making a really good glue it has medicinal uses and burns well for bush candles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smudge For This Useful Post: