What are you doing to prepare for EMP Threat? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to prepare for major highway chemical spill Backyardcreek Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 28 12-02-2019 01:06 AM
Anarcho-Communist Threat Colt General Discussion 138 06-05-2017 11:50 AM
The enemy may not be the one you prepare for. MattB4 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 87 04-18-2017 08:53 AM
White house Issues Executive Order To Prepare For Space Weather/EMP Prepaholic General Discussion 48 11-07-2016 02:25 PM

Old 10-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,420 Times in 708 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post
Of all the possibilities for TEOTWAWKI an EMP attack from either Iran of NK is the least likely and by a long shot.

IMO
Did you notify the Pentagon/Homeland Sec or are you assuming they are reading this thread?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,150 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
The thread is about potential damage caused by a high altitude EMP device. Essentially a nuclear fission bomb designed to produce a large amount of hard radiation.

The EMP effect was not originally predicted, it was observed during a high altitude nuc test in the pacific, and the mechanism was worked out later.

As I recall, the radiation hits the air molecules in the upper atmosphere, and this interaction produces the charge that overloads the power grid.
Not exactally, the prompt gamma from the explosion knock electrons ( Compton scattering) off of the sparse atoms in the upper atmosphere. Some of these electrons travel forwards earth. They travel for miles before encountering another molecule, where they recombine. 6 billion of these in a nanosecond equals an amp- traveling a miles long path somewhat focused by the earths magnetic field, as if it were an antenna- that forms an electromagnetic pulse,- like a crude, but insanely powerful radar pulse.

No electrons make it to the surface of the earth due to the interaction with molecules in the atmosphere. But the pulse, like any electromagnetic radiation can cause electrons to move in conductors. But it’s typically the voltage produced that does the damage

E2 is a follow on/ overlapping pulse caused by non prompt gamma- it’s not as big a deal unless the first pulse fried lightning or EMP protectors.

The E3 pulse, which you may be thinking of is a result of a displacement of the earths magnetic field. It doesn’t create a charge, but it can cause current to flow in very long, grounded conductors ( like power lines). The classic example is telegraph lines would work without batteries during major solar storms. Now it’s a non issue for communications, but can be disastrous on transmission and sub transmission power lines ( the lines are unaffected, the damage is done to the transformers at the ends)

EMP was predicted before the first nuclear test (Trinity) later high altitude tests surprised scientists with the coherence of the pulse (it would have been hard to estimate with out computational fluid dynamics and finite element electromagnetic analysis- the latter is now a tool of many ham operators.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Prepared

Default EMP Shield

Hi ...

I thought I'd put my 2-cents in here. I've been very concerned about the possibilities of an EMP. But I know of a product that will protect your home, vehicle, compressor and other things from an EMP.

Check out this website: EMPShield.com

Surprisingly, the prices are very affordable and I know a little bit about the guy that was involved in designing it and I trust him.

Check it out and let us all know what you think. Hope it helps.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Threepin'

Thanked 6,827 Times in 2,177 Posts

In the grand scheme of things, if you prep for power outage (something that everyone will almost regularly experience in their lives), only on a prolonged basis, youíll be covered here.

If we get hit with an EMP, worst case, itís TEOTWAWKI in America. Would depend on how other countries reacted - will they take advantage strategically, or come to assist? Mixed bag? Who knows. Bottom line you canít count on any sort of government help, foreign or domestic, and it will be at a minimum several months (if not years) until the grid would be restored to a point where WROL would become even a little less frequent around the country.

Things will get hairy real quick if no one knows whatís going on, most comms and electronics are out, and vehicles are not running. Everything downstream of that is impacted. Food, water, sanitation, health care, general infrastructure, all distribution of any sort that relies on our logistics chain.

On the whole, if you prep to be off the grid and self sufficient, youíll be better off than someone who doesnít. But that also isnít a guarantee. There will be a lot of luck involved even for the most prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to querulous For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,627 Times in 763 Posts
Default EMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cal View Post
There are a lot of threads on this with more information than one person could ever remember:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/se...rchid=37198057

As for me... I don't do a lot of "scenario" prepping. I prepare in general, and most of my preps are good for many different scenarios.

Specifically for EMP, the only thing would be keeping comms in faraday cages. Everything else I have should be ok, or it won't. Can't keep a truck in a faraday cage, so I have other ways of transport.

This subject may be new to you, but some 10--15 years ago, the same one was on the minds of preppers. There were lots of meetings on EMP's Faraday cages, both grounded and ungrounded, barrels, old microwave ovens, U.S. military with hardened radios, radio club meetings on this problem and debates over whether grounded or ungrounded. So it's nothing new.

The problem with keeping a unit in a Faraday cage is that one needs to have 2 radios and an extra HF unit can be expensive and I use my HF a little every day. I can't afford to keep one safe. I used to keep all my 2-meter radios in a cage, but most HAMS in my area aren't preppers so if things went bad, I couldn't talk to many if any other HAMS. Maybe it depends on where one lives.

Off to checking in to "The Noontime Net".
Old 11-18-2019, 10:05 AM

i feel like protecting devices is the lowest priority in dealing with an emp? Highest priority is neighbors going nuts?
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

I'm as good as I can be also based on virtually any scenario.

The only thing I need to help with EMP prepping would be to retire/sell all my keypad safes and get mechanical turn dial safes.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:12 AM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,307 Times in 958 Posts

I keep 3 panels and a controller in a Jobox down cellar with some other crap.
I have no idea if EMP is going to screw up my solar rig and no idea if a steel box in the cellar is going to protect my spares.
I've heard stories going both ways.
I try to cover my ass but I'm not physicist
Old 11-20-2019, 09:24 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,821 Times in 20,725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
I keep 3 panels and a controller in a Jobox down cellar with some other crap.
I have no idea if EMP is going to screw up my solar rig and no idea if a steel box in the cellar is going to protect my spares.
I've heard stories going both ways.
I try to cover my ass but I'm not physicist
If you cover the lid joint all around with foil tape, it should withstand any EMP short of a direct hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,307 Times in 958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
If you cover the lid joint all around with foil tape, it should withstand any EMP short of a direct hit.
Yeah, I used that aluminum tape.
What I was saying is that who knows how this **** is gonna work?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I am prepared for everything electronic turning into a museum antique. If anything works at all cool, if not, I not screwed.

So, I'm assuming LED flashlights could go as they have a chip (green board) in them, do you think an incandescent flashlight will die? That little thin light filament should be able to withstand a spark I'm thinking?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:36 AM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 17,839 Times in 4,753 Posts

I don't worry about an EMP so much as long as our boomers are out there in the oceans ready to respond and turn the offending nation into a sheet of glass..

What I do worry about is a CME. The sun is the biggest bad-boy in the neighborhood and fears nothing. The are some troubling signs about possible solar activity in the next 30-60 years. I wont be around for it, but I want my grandchildren to have the resources I accumulated.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,150 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Beacause anything packed in a plywood box would almost certainly survive- moving to a gang box with tapped joint, will probally reduce the power 100 times or more, being in the basement ( in most locations) is going to drop the power by half or more.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:24 PM

I don't plan specifically for an EMP event, like I don't plan specifically for any other, but I always keep the radios I'm not currently using, several spare 'tactical' flashlights and several older tablets containing important documents in a steel container of my own design. It never hurts to have those items stored that way, regardless of how slim the chances are of an EMP happening.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britten2011 View Post
I don't plan specifically for an EMP event...
the nice part of planning for an EMP (one that destroys all electronics, including cars) is that it allows you to plan for many situations at once. If you plan for an EMP while driving in the mountains during winter then you have also planned for a road closure where you're now stuck.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:29 PM
Prepared

As has already been noted, some of the preparations for EMP have measures in common with preps for a computer hacking attack, a solar flare, and some other kinds of natural disasters.

We have three solar charging apparati at our house. We try to manage risk by having no more than two on line at any given time, and usually it is only one. The main solar system, a 6000 watt one, has an ultra-quick breaker on it. Our circuitry has numerous breaks in it so that we don't have long strands of cable to act as antennas. We stay current on the news and spend a lot of time at home. This would facilitate a fast shutdown of the main (house) solar system as well as our going off grid if we had a few minutes to prepare. One solar system with its battery and a two meter base station and a two meter hand held stay underground in a storm shelter. We have a well and a hand pump. We have fossil fuel generators. I am not trying to publish an inventory but I would say that many things that a person could do to survive an EMP are things that could be effective in dealing with other situations as well.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edprof View Post
As has already been noted, some of the preparations for EMP have measures in common with preps for a computer hacking attack, a solar flare, and some other kinds of natural disasters.
I contend that prepping for an EMP is prepping for almost everything, because an EMP is way more than just losing grid-tied power.

If you're really prepping for an EMP, then you are really also prepping for a pandemic, because during an EMP, disease will be freakin' rampant!

If you're prepping for an EMP, you're also prepping for an economic collapse, natural disasters, almost everything
Old 11-30-2019, 05:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,399 Posts

So, will an EMP wipe out all our LED lights and flashlights?
Old 11-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Probably not.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
from what I've read, very unlikely.

But just in case, I have kerosene lanterns and a phone made of cups connected by a string.