guns? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liam Neeson: Number of guns in U.S. 'a disgrace'; guns in 'Taken 3' okay pamike777 Firearms General Discussion 69 12-25-2016 02:43 PM
Just some ramblings on cheap guns vs elite guns Cougar8000 Firearms General Discussion 100 05-04-2016 09:44 PM
Machine Guns for Country Cops ? 161 Federal Guns for 31 Officers AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 07-29-2015 01:29 PM
The Filmography of Guns Documents Iconic Guns in Popular Culture AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-04-2014 05:00 PM
SHOOTING Guns = FUN! ... CLEANING guns = ick .. Sprig Firearms General Discussion 43 02-09-2014 08:29 PM
School officials deeply troubled over guns appearing ON SIGNS BANNING GUNS MIL-DOT Firearms General Discussion 24 02-07-2014 02:24 PM
Twice as many favor more guns over banning guns to reduce crime KeS Firearms General Discussion 1 01-19-2013 02:22 AM
Guns, anti-guns, control, oh my! grandma Site Information & Suggestion Box 3 12-17-2012 08:54 PM
ATF W Trageting BB Guns and Soft Pellet Guns Standingbear777 Firearms General Discussion 3 03-01-2010 08:17 PM
My Guns and Guns i regularly have accsess to Jester Military Weapons Forum 9 03-15-2008 03:43 PM

Old 05-16-2007, 02:13 AM

Default guns?

Advertise Here

I'm slowly trying to stock up on survival supplies (camping gear, food/seeds, water purifiers etc.) as we most definitely live in uncertain times to say the least. I think I have enough to set up a solid camp.
Part of this includes firearms. Currently I have a Mini 14, Glock 23 and Remington 870. Is this adequate? I'm considering either a .30-06 or .308 bolt action. What do you think?
Also, what kind of cutting tools (axes, saws, knives) do you recommend?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Wild Wild... East

Thanked 1,052 Times in 605 Posts

Jesse,
All the tools are usefull. That means all you have or you can have.
But most important are the skills. If you have proper skills, you can made any tool.
Any people on this forum can tell you what kind of tools they will like to have. But this tools are related with owner skills. If somebody have blacksmith skills, he will like to have hammers and anvils. If know carpentey, he will like to have axes, saws, and other like this.
So, in the first time, take the tools you know to use. After that, take any tools (there are good for barter and maybe you increase your skills).

My opinion,
Bogdan.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,158 Times in 919 Posts

The choice of firearms (type and quantiity) depends on the scenarios you are preparing for (this of course is true for all supplies, not just firearms). One can envision far too many ways in which an event will require us rely on the preparations we have made. If you are preparing to survive a tornado then a well stocked arsenal may not be the most important focus. Whereas if you are preparing for an invasion that arsenal may be a key consideration.

You will find varied opinions here. For me firearms are primarily for hunting with defense as a secondary purpose. Thusly my firearms are less numerous and of different types than someone with defense as a primary concern.

So, what I'm saying is that the answer to your question is dependent on the context of the scenarios you are preparing for. Lacking this, people may answer within the context of their own scenarios of concern.

How's that for a long-winded non-answer?

Cheers,
-Per.

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Prepared

IMO,
I think PER didn't say it best, or is that said it not best, or is that.....:D

Really he said it quite well, my only suggestion is a larger caliber long gun for hunting ( two or four leggs) depending on your goals / money / ergonomics.

As far as tools go.....
an axe will do the same thing as a chain saw, only slower
a hand saw will do the same as a circular saw, only slower
you get the drift. What I found the hard way during recent bad weather was that a good chain saw is priceless.
The tools are a personal choice, like firearms, what fits best and what are you envisioning it to do. Find tools that can do a multiple of tasks. example: splitting maul, one side is an axe the other can be a sledge hammer.
hope this didn't help either......:D
Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,300 Times in 7,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case82 View Post
Currently I have a Mini 14, Glock 23 and Remington 870. Is this adequate? I'm considering either a .30-06 or .308 bolt action. What do you think?
Also, what kind of cutting tools (axes, saws, knives) do you recommend?
Thanks
I recommend a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin model 60. Everyone should have at least one rifle chambered in 22 long rifle.

The 30-06 might be a better choice then the 308, just because of where you live.

For wood tools, I suggest at least one wood splitting maul, to go along with a good 8 or 10 pound hammer and wedges.

At least 1 maybe 2 axes with replacement handles.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,158 Times in 919 Posts

Another consideration for tools is whether or not just the business aspect of the tool will suffice. If you need to move out, then just axe heads or saw blades will take up less space and not weigh as much. You would, of course, then need to fashion handles somehow.

Cheers,
Per.

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 1

I do not know your location but a 30-06 will handle larger, dangerous game better than a 308 due to the larger case (with heavier bullets). A 22LR is a must have, especialy in rural areas where loud gun shots upset the neighbors. A chainsaw, maul and wedges, plus hand tools is a very good investment.

Last edited by Kenno; 05-16-2007 at 07:09 PM..
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Pastor

Thanked 1,517 Times in 589 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ardua View Post
Another consideration for tools is whether or not just the business aspect of the tool will suffice. If you need to move out, then just axe heads or saw blades will take up less space and not weigh as much. You would, of course, then need to fashion handles somehow.

Cheers,
Per.
I agree with the compact carry items, as for fasioning handles, some time back, I was involved in MountianMan Competitions.
I used too make my own tomahawk handles, a good bowsaw or even a rope saw, knife, and broken glass will do a fine job.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Informative Post 

Ok I know that you are in Orygun. I am going to make an assumption that you are are on the West Side. The 30-06 is the best choice. A 22LR and a chain saw with hand tools is a must have. I have built elk camps with just a chainsaw and a few timber spikes (big nails). If you are in big timber country and plan to stay there then you will need a big saw and lots of fuel, enough to build a large cabin and cut alot of fire wood, maybe 2 years worth. You will need fuel, chains and files to sharpen the chains. In a western orygun situation a BIG saw is a plus.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,797 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I'd 2nd or 3rd the bit about adding a .22 rifle and a Good .30 cal bolt rifle.
I prefer my rifles to have iron sights, as well as a scope.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Pastor

Thanked 1,517 Times in 589 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I'll agree with the iron sites as well, damage your optic and not have open sites, you will only have an exspensive stick.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:23 AM

I would go with a 30-06 mainly because that is what I want. For a cutting tool I like the Gransfors Bruks line of axes they are hand forged in Sweden and they are very well balanced, they are exepensive but quality usually is.