Would an underground ammo cache explode forest fire? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimalist BOB/camping kit FarmerJohn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 04-17-2018 07:17 PM
Brass or Steel? Arizona Tom Firearms General Discussion 93 03-21-2018 06:52 PM
Whats the worst Ammo Experience you've had? TacticalFarmer Firearms General Discussion 79 10-04-2017 08:32 PM
Recent Manufacture 22LR Ammo - An Informal Test of QC doczeus Firearms General Discussion 10 09-10-2017 11:28 AM
Federal Champion .22 LR Ammo 525 Rounds - $28.99 (Limit 2) Clear Cache apps47inc For Sale 0 01-22-2017 01:23 PM

Old 06-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Prepared

Default Would an underground ammo cache explode forest fire?

Advertise Here

In theory, if someone had made an underground weapons/ammo cache and dug it down in the forest, if there were to be a forest fire, would the fire make the ammo go boom? (and/or melt the food/weapon)

I've heard that forest fires can go into the ground as well, that's why I'm curious
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevieKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,607 Times in 620 Posts

I really doubt the ground would get that hot if it were buried deep, like four feet or so. That dirt is a pretty good insulator. Feel the ground around a bonfire just a foot away from the flames and it is likely cool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2018, 05:51 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,287 Times in 7,130 Posts

If the cache was buried in a barren area, devoid of fuel, it would most likely survive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018, 06:31 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,720 Times in 9,023 Posts

I have picked up military ammo that was laying on the ground when the grass fires came threw. Cleaned it off and it shot just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 08:30 AM

We found some weapons in Iraq in a field that was thick as hell trying to move through it looking for more was killing the boys so I told them to light it up. Well they did and about 30 min. later 3 huge explosion went off one took part of a road out. I don't know how deep the stuff was but it did go up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chili Pepper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
We found some weapons in Iraq in a field that was thick as hell trying to move through it looking for more was killing the boys so I told them to light it up. Well they did and about 30 min. later 3 huge explosion went off one took part of a road out. I don't know how deep the stuff was but it did go up.
Interesting. You mean the bushes were difficult to walk past so you created a bushfire out of gasoline? And from the explosion it was clear that the stuff was underground and not just lying hidden in the grass/bushes?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:44 AM

It was all underground I will see if I can upload some old pics, across the road from where we set the field ablaze we found the largest cash up to that date. If I remember correctly close to 500 anti tank mines, 2000 120mm rockets mortar rounds and all kinds of crap. After we got a crapload of it out we called the engineers in to blow it all in place. As we were uncovering it the fair side security PLT. found more crap in that field, part of a RPG box was sticking out of the ground, we pulled that out with the rockets. That is when the LT. asked me if he could just burn it. That place was so thick you wouldn't believe it so I told him have fun. Funny as hell he went in started it and about got trapped in the fire came stumbling out with no eyebrows and steaming he was so hot, I about ****ed myself laughing at him. Typical LT. The big cash the engineers blew made a crater almost 100m round and blew the side off the mosque they had it next to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chili Pepper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,641 Times in 6,381 Posts

Didn't the forest service find a cache with grenades,while doing an assessment, after one of the big wild fires this year ?
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...nkers.amp.html
Old 06-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Didn't the forest service find a cache with grenades,while doing an assessment, after one of the big wild fires this year ?
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...nkers.amp.html
wow, scary.i wonder if caches would have been more difficult to find tho
Old 06-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,714 Times in 800 Posts

Typical ammunition buried, say 12 inches or more, probably is safe in any forest fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to PatrioticAmerican For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 1,337 Times in 406 Posts

I burried a cache of cash and antibiotics less than a foot deep in a Tupperware inside of another Tupperware container in 2014.... 2 years later when I retrieved it, the forest was charred about 6 feet high up all the tree trunks and my cache was in perfect condition.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klbsa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,749 Times in 2,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieKiwi View Post
In theory, if someone had made an underground weapons/ammo cache and dug it down in the forest, if there were to be a forest fire, would the fire make the ammo go boom? (and/or melt the food/weapon)

I've heard that forest fires can go into the ground as well, that's why I'm curious
Well, i think it'd depend on whether it's an above or underground fire also as you say. If it's really hot, buried shallowly, i think it could happen. I remember a mythbusters episode where they tested if you could cook ammo off in an oven. It did cook off, so with enough heat, sure, but even then, unless there are actual explosives, which aren't heat stable or which go off by the shock of the ammo cooking off (i think it's pretty unlikely in a cache situation), it won't give much of a bang, and since it's underground, the bullets would not fly out or anything like that. It might also damage a weapon that way, but don't know how big that chance is, probably not very good either.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Well, i think it'd depend on whether it's an above or underground fire also as you say. If it's really hot, buried shallowly, i think it could happen. I remember a mythbusters episode where they tested if you could cook ammo off in an oven. It did cook off, so with enough heat, sure, but even then, unless there are actual explosives, which aren't heat stable or which go off by the shock of the ammo cooking off (i think it's pretty unlikely in a cache situation), it won't give much of a bang, and since it's underground, the bullets would not fly out or anything like that. It might also damage a weapon that way, but don't know how big that chance is, probably not very good either.
Hahah that episode was the insperation for this thread actually :P

Aaah you make a great point tho that if they were to go off, assuming hundreds of people aren't hanging out in the middle of a wildfire, no one would even have known they went off. even 500 rounds wouldn't even make the ground move
Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,392 Posts

Depth of burial will make the difference. In some of our fires a few years ago, there was so much undergrowth that the heat from the fire sterilized the ground to a depth of eight inches. A bit below that should be safe, but a shallower burial would probably have cooked off in that fire.