Propane Tanks and Hot Weather - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster propane tanks and the propane tank graveyard. (Pictures) Rockyriver General Discussion 16 04-10-2019 09:31 AM
Propane tanks? Jseph Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 01-17-2017 02:31 PM
20 Lb Portable Propane Tanks TXplowgirl Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 07-23-2015 01:44 AM
small propane tanks fisherman50 Urban Survival 12 05-10-2012 08:15 AM
propane tanks jack1 Urban Survival 21 04-29-2012 10:26 PM
Rhino Propane Tanks Medic73 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-30-2011 12:23 AM
Refilling propane tanks FarmerChad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 11-14-2010 08:39 PM
Fill Your OWN Propane Tanks... temu Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 11-11-2009 01:33 PM
Refilling 1 ib Propane Tanks greenbm Urban Survival 9 01-05-2009 04:42 PM
Propane tanks kev Survival Discussion, Articles, Reviews and Videos 27 08-06-2008 06:57 PM

Old 06-09-2016, 10:28 AM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 28,433 Times in 6,786 Posts
Default Propane Tanks and Hot Weather

Advertise Here

Summer is here, temps are getting up there and the pressure in your residential propane tank is rising.

Had my first call yesterday of a pressure relief valve popping off at one of my customers homes. If you've ever had one pop it's something you'll likely never forget, sounds like a pistol shot and then screams like a banshee.

If you have this happen cool the tank, use a water hose and a sprinkler, get some shade on it, (but don't cover it). Once the relief valve pops it'll have to be replaced, and the tank has to be empty for that to happen, contact you're propane supplier for details.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Prepared

Filling the tank to 80% eliminates many pop offs, we started filling to 80% about 15 years ago,our on call guys loved it as it basically eliminated the pop offs, expansion is 1.5% per every 10 degree rise in ambient temp, if we have a 20% increase ,that translates to roughly an 80 degree rise in ambient outside temperature. That would be bad.
Additionally, although I'm not arguing, a relief valve does not need to be replaced if it "pops" doing what it's designed for.commercial rule is every 15 years or if spring go bad. External relief valves ( spring on outside of tank)tend to collect trash,flies,moisture etc.
WARNING! NEVER PUT YOUR FACE DIRECTLY OVER THE RELIEF VALVE OPENING!!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tony_agr For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_agr View Post
Filling the tank to 80% eliminates many pop offs, we started filling to 80% about 15 years ago,our on call guys loved it as it basically eliminated the pop offs, expansion is 1.5% per every 10 degree rise in ambient temp, if we have a 20% increase ,that translates to roughly an 80 degree rise in ambient outside temperature. That would be bad.
Additionally, although I'm not arguing, a relief valve does not need to be replaced if it "pops" doing what it's designed for.commercial rule is every 15 years or if spring go bad. External relief valves ( spring on outside of tank)tend to collect trash,flies,moisture etc.
WARNING! NEVER PUT YOUR FACE DIRECTLY OVER THE RELIEF VALVE OPENING!!
Tony while I agree that it doesn't always need replaced, here in Texas where it routinely hits the high 90's for long periods of time, once they go they're pretty much done. 80% is our max fill but in the summer on older tanks we cut the max fill back to 70%.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,162 Times in 828 Posts

Sufficient hot weather and lack of wind can drive the temperature in the tank to cause excessive pressure....
Think about a vehicle setting out in the sun and the temperature inside the vehicle....
Reflective paint helps, but shade is better....
Texican....
The Following User Says Thank You to texican2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Ham Extra Class

Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,810 Posts

This thread is very very good advice for propane tank owners. Wish it could be sticky at the top.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,250 Times in 15,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
This thread is very very good advice for propane tank owners. Wish it could be sticky at the top.
It is now "stickied"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,137 Posts

it's always in the 80's-90's here. the small rv size tanks are all you'll find, nothing larger. filling is to 70-80% and i have yet to here any fo teh valves popping off. and most tanks here are painted medium blue. i plan on having a propane stove and oven when the house is finished being built in the next month or so. the stove and tank(s) will set outside under the eve of the house protected from the sun and rain. house eves are at least 1 meter on all sides here.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,070 Times in 4,568 Posts

Mine is buried in the ground and they never fill more than 80%.
I live in NH and I don't need a fill between May and October.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 PM
People Are Not Good

Thanked 6,975 Times in 2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
Why only 80% when underground?
Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAmmo View Post
80% is a standard max fill in the industry. UG tanks can go to 85% without issues but most drivers, myself included, stick to the 80% rule regardless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 08:34 AM
You talkin' to me?

Summer is also the time to take a close look at the paint on your home Propane tank. If you lease your tank from your propane supplier and the pain is beginning to fail you can request it be repainted, the company will normally have a company color scheme that they use, (ours is gray tank with maroon lid). If you own your tank and it needs repainting sometimes your normal supplier will paint it, sometimes not. If you want to paint it yourself the recommended color is oil based semi-gloss enamel WHITE. Just pain white.

Wash the tank first, then scrap the loose junk/paint with a wire brush. You can brush it, roll it, or spray it. Whatever works for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2016, 02:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,162 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
Purchasing propane during the summer will give you a better price including having one or more extra tanks....

Tank rental is cheap for a fuel supply that does not go bad....

Texican....
The Following User Says Thank You to texican2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,460 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
it's always in the 80's-90's here. the small rv size tanks are all you'll find, nothing larger. filling is to 70-80% and i have yet to here any fo teh valves popping off. and most tanks here are painted medium blue. i plan on having a propane stove and oven when the house is finished being built in the next month or so. the stove and tank(s) will set outside under the eve of the house protected from the sun and rain. house eves are at least 1 meter on all sides here.
Sounds great but NOT. A significant # of home fires, in particular apartments, are caused by grills and heaters on decks/close to structure. I'd hope you don't keep a can of gasoline or LP tank under your bed (or even in attached garage). A LP grill sitting against the exterior wall of you house is in the same category.

http://www.nfpa.org/public-education...sonal/grilling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
Summer is here, temps are getting up there and the pressure in your residential propane tank is rising.

Had my first call yesterday of a pressure relief valve popping off at one of my customers homes. If you've ever had one pop it's something you'll likely never forget, sounds like a pistol shot and then screams like a banshee.

If you have this happen cool the tank, use a water hose and a sprinkler, get some shade on it, (but don't cover it). Once the relief valve pops it'll have to be replaced, and the tank has to be empty for that to happen, contact you're propane supplier for details.
Isn't the pressure relief valve also a back check valve? It should close once the pressure is relived to under 225-250 lbs of pressure shouldn't it?
Old 07-16-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAmmo View Post
I fill to 85% especially if the tank is underground. And for sure in the Winter.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,877 Times in 9,289 Posts

I have never seen a tank "pop off" unless it was overfilled under normal temperatures. Granted, my 20 gallon tank that was in front of the garage popped of when the garage burned to the ground, but it was also hot enough to melt aluminum in the same area.

I have also changed valves without draining the tank by venting and freezing the gas but that works best in the winter.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:47 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertruck1 View Post
Isn't the pressure relief valve also a back check valve? It should close once the pressure is relived to under 225-250 lbs of pressure shouldn't it?
That's correct, if the valve is new. What we see however is that when the valve is older, (15-20 years), that when it pops it either won't seal back properly or it tends to pop again at lower pressures. That's why I recommended it be replaced once it pops.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2016, 05:49 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
I have never seen a tank "pop off" unless it was overfilled under normal temperatures. Granted, my 20 gallon tank that was in front of the garage popped of when the garage burned to the ground, but it was also hot enough to melt aluminum in the same area.

I have also changed valves without draining the tank by venting and freezing the gas but that works best in the winter.
35 year old residential tank sitting in full sun with failing paint on a 98 degree day? Yea, it'll pop......
Old 07-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,877 Times in 9,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
35 year old residential tank sitting in full sun with failing paint on a 98 degree day? Yea, it'll pop......
I guess it can happen, but I wouldn't consider it the norm. My 25 gallon tank was over 50 years old and never popped off until the temp was hot enough to burn the paint off the pickup that it was sitting next to.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
I guess it can happen, but I wouldn't consider it the norm. My 25 gallon tank was over 50 years old and never popped off until the temp was hot enough to burn the paint off the pickup that it was sitting next to.
Doesn't happen everyday, but most of the customer owned tanks I service were built in the 70's and still have the original pressure relief valve installed. Combine that with a dark rust color from failing paint, full sun, and typical Texas summer temps? Happens a couple of times every summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post: