Refilling 1 ib Propane Tanks - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster propane tanks and the propane tank graveyard. (Pictures) Rockyriver General Discussion 16 04-10-2019 09:31 AM
Big Propane Tanks Near House (BOL) Duelist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-21-2017 09:17 PM
20 Lb Portable Propane Tanks TXplowgirl Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 07-23-2015 01:44 AM
small propane tanks fisherman50 Urban Survival 12 05-10-2012 08:15 AM
propane tanks jack1 Urban Survival 21 04-29-2012 10:26 PM
questions about bbq propane tanks real wowwee Urban Survival 32 02-13-2012 05:59 PM
Rhino Propane Tanks Medic73 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-30-2011 12:23 AM
Refilling propane tanks FarmerChad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 11-14-2010 08:39 PM
Fill Your OWN Propane Tanks... temu Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 11-11-2009 01:33 PM
Propane tanks kev Survival Discussion, Articles, Reviews and Videos 27 08-06-2008 06:57 PM

Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Refilling 1 lb Propane Tanks

Advertise Here

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_11829_11829

After reading the thread re: propane vs. kerosene heaters I was doing some searching and came accross this coupler that allows you to refill your 1lb propane tanks from a larger e.g., 20 lb. tank. I never saw or thought aboutt his before but it seems great! It would allow you to save money by refilling the tanks. I'm guessing when you do the math you would be looking at about $1-$1.50 a fll vs $2.50

This will also be a time saver as you will no longer need to run to the store to pick up a tank at the last minute.

Does anyone have one of these? If so, I'd be interested to hear how well it works. I can't imagine anyone has bought one and been disappointed.

One review that I came accross said that after repated refills (maybe 10) some tanks may not seal properly anymore and be prone to leaking. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Also.... let me know if anyone finds one cheaper than $18.99 on the link above.

Last edited by greenbm; 01-04-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Warlord of the wastes

Refilling from a bigger cylinder is fine, but you will never get the small cylinder as full as one you buy new. That shouldn't be a problem unless you need them to last as long as a new cylinder. It is possible that the small cylinders will leak after repeated refilling, but most likely it would be a small leak, so just fill them as needed and put them on the regulator right after filled and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,901 Posts

The package clearly states not to use the recharger in the smaller propane bottles as there isa danger of excessive pressure build up and tank rupture................

I bought the device and after reading the warning never had the guts to try it.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Hiker

Default cylinder refill

, i have on of those couplers and they do work and i got it from harbor frieght for about 6 dollars, just make sure that you follow the instructions closely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo001.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	10689  
Old 01-05-2009, 01:04 AM
=)

they work ok...we used to refill ours all the time if you have the refillable ones with the little nut on the top side of the bottle. You do lose a little propane everytime you unscrew the refilled tank to take if off the filler but its no big deal.In my opinion get one but still buy the disposable and use it with your refillables if you have to have them.... we've been doing it since the 70's! the lanterns our scout troop used took those small bottles but you could convert them over to a line and hose to a big bottle but you just couldnt carry it around then....lol i remember many a time sitting refilling a dozen bottles at a time = /
be good
Poison~~~~~~~>
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,251 Times in 623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzline View Post
Refilling from a bigger cylinder is fine, but you will never get the small cylinder as full as one you buy new. That shouldn't be a problem unless you need them to last as long as a new cylinder. It is possible that the small cylinders will leak after repeated refilling, but most likely it would be a small leak, so just fill them as needed and put them on the regulator right after filled and you'll be good to go.
I have to disagree with you on that one. I put a few 1lb cans in the freezer, and the 20 lb tank in the sun. I filled them using the adaptor. When the 1lb cans warmed up to room temp, they started to hiss out of the over preasure valve until they got to a safe level. It is dificult to get them full, but it can be done. It helps to use a full 20 lb tank which has more preasure
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM

my mom got a propane tank from the gas company about 100 gallons and they put on a coupler to fill the smaller tanks with. So my mom calls and gets 100 gallons delivered and then she can use that to fill the tanks on the gas grill or the tanks for the Mobile home etc.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Prepared

I have used one for about 20 years. You can fill or over fill the small cylinders by pressing the relief valve in. Be very careful not to over fill them. They will leak or explode.
LP gas is extremely cold. It can burn you in a matter of seconds, so always wear gloves and eye protection. It will expand as it gets warmer and will release thru the valve.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Warlord of the wastes

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
I have to disagree with you on that one. I put a few 1lb cans in the freezer, and the 20 lb tank in the sun. I filled them using the adaptor. When the 1lb cans warmed up to room temp, they started to hiss out of the over preasure valve until they got to a safe level. It is dificult to get them full, but it can be done. It helps to use a full 20 lb tank which has more preasure
I had never thought of that, good idea except you do lose some of the gas. Typically that isn't a problem unless gas is hard to come by for some reason. Either way it's a good use of PV = nRT.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,314 Posts

i got mine here

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45989