Guidelines for the Wilderness survival, hiking and camping section - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items shawn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 727 11-18-2019 09:04 AM
camping,hiking survival tips AAPEXX Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 07-01-2016 09:39 AM
Wilderness Survival Vs. Going Camping plantguy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 03-29-2016 11:43 AM
Wilderness Camping/Hiking with a disability Medic73 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 02-26-2015 04:59 PM
The Wilderness Survival/Camping/Hiking Gear-Swap Thread! twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 131 01-19-2014 12:25 AM
Wilderness Survival/Hiking/Camping Rules Reminder Potantsuem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 12-27-2012 02:35 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 01:25 PM
hiking and wilderness survival BSAScouter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 01-07-2011 12:11 AM

Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatebugs View Post
So you're some guy who made a website. Big freakin deal. Anyone with an internet connection can make a website. That doesn't make you an expert on anything. It just makes you some schmuck who thinks he's an expert.

Go ahead and ban me now. I don't care. This place is just a haven for nutjobs anyways...
sounds like your missing the whole point altogether,imo,kev was leanning more towards going to the woods,be it alone or with family,to just enjoy the wonderment in a childs face to be with mom/dad,or just take alone time to unwind from a pressure cooker called" work week",(i dont drink)the serenity/peace alone untangles the tightest muscule.so, what to do should you have an accident/or charged by a bear,snake bite,and not have the ability to move to a safe area to get help?this is why i came to this thread,to maybe learn from those of you who know.i understand bug out,but what about just nature walks?,i can survive the city,but when you go to the woods you exit mans world and enter wild lifes world,which i know little of. just my 2 cents
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 AM

Wilderness survival is different than camping and hiking. Most campers and hikers do not carry guns. They carry pepper spray or a loud horn to scare animals away. Wilderness survival is going into a location deep in the mountains or woods and you take you necessities and weapons for protection against animals and whatever danger comes. Survival living and camping and hiking do not go together. And talk about assault weapons has nothing to do with hiking, camping, or wilderness survival. I know very few hardcore survivalist who carry assault weapons because most will not stop a grizzly, brown, or polar bear. C'mon man. get real. I agree with Kev. on this one.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 AM

I believe that knowledge is a powerful tool that is ehy i take my family on regulsr trips through the woods the reasoning is that while we are out there we rely on each other for the day today tasks and it gives everyone the chance to practice these tasks and everyone learns by trial and error so when shtf everyone already has knowledge of what to expect ... i know everyone has probably heard it before by someone else but had to voice it myself thank for listening to my rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 07:57 AM

So do we actually talk about survival skills on this thread? I was thinking about taking the kids out to the lake and showing them how to take a survival bracelet apart and find worms, get a hook and a pieace of wood and go fishing with it for dinner. any body else have any cool skills they would like to post
The Following User Says Thank You to chris1122 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 AM

hi im new here.ive always wondered if it is possible to grow polk salad in a garden rather than havn to hunt it in the wild.I love the taste of it and wud luv to b able to grow it if possible.It would make a great survival food i think.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Target Shooter

Question

Hey MMPGF would you please say what you said in plain English, or in laymans terms, or better yet in Redneck.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Default Camping

When hiking it's good to have a light tent if your also backpacking. You want one with a tarp for rain one under the tent and one over it.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 PM

Cody Lundin is too much of a hippie for my taste. I was watching Dual Survival and Cody and Dave didn't know how to make a bamboo raft?!!! And some of the things that both of them did just made me realize that maybe they don't know as much as they think they do.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Target Shooter

Well... Why would a primitive living survival expert in Arizona know much about raft making ?

But anyways tomorrow I'll be doing an overnight going for brown trout in a section of the pacific crest trail in deep creek CA, for temps of 90+ how much water should I look at bringing ? I carry two canteens (1 quart) and a 3 liter camelbak, and right now I'm freezing 2 liters of water because I like to stash them at the strt of the trail to have cold water when I'm waiting for my ride, probably only eating lunch and dinner, probably skipping breakfast to hike out early Sunday. Anyone wanna throw me some advice I might be neglecting to think about ?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxpatrickxx View Post
Well... Why would a primitive living survival expert in Arizona know much about raft making ?

But anyways tomorrow I'll be doing an overnight going for brown trout in a section of the pacific crest trail in deep creek CA, for temps of 90+ how much water should I look at bringing ? I carry two canteens (1 quart) and a 3 liter camelbak, and right now I'm freezing 2 liters of water because I like to stash them at the strt of the trail to have cold water when I'm waiting for my ride, probably only eating lunch and dinner, probably skipping breakfast to hike out early Sunday. Anyone wanna throw me some advice I might be neglecting to think about ?
Ahh yes...The Barefoot wonder who failed to make fire with a lighter AND fuel.
The berry picking bug eating military brat with real hardcore experience
(from college).
Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThrivalist View Post
Ahh yes...The Barefoot wonder who failed to make fire with a lighter AND fuel.
The berry picking bug eating military brat with real hardcore experience
(from college).
Ok somehow there was a moment we all started. Sure I had noeone to help me - but experience is the best way to find out what u need - and what not

So Patrick it doesn´t matter where you´re from or what´s ur age - keep learning. We all have to. And you´ll find a lot of stuff here you need to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHTFreak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM

Well I think bug out and camping/survival are totally opposite than each other. I agree the section should be about what the headlines states. Maybe start a prepardness group with bug out bags.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker63 View Post
Well I think bug out and camping/survival are totally opposite than each other. I agree the section should be about what the headlines states. Maybe start a prepardness group with bug out bags.
Good point.

However, the topic could be confusing.

When I read "...Wilderness survival, hiking and camping..." on SURVIVALISTBoards.com,
I read "Wilderness survival, suvrival hiking and survival camping".

I don't see this as it saying 'Wilderness survival, recreational hiking and recreational camping" and I
don't see this as "Surivalist & Recreational Boards". Everything I address here is from that perspective.
Of course, there are sites where people can go for that sort of stuff (Backpacking, Ultralight Backpacking,
etc...). But here, I just naturally think of one thing when I personally ask about gear and stuff and that's
on how it relates to survival.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 PM

I'm going to pack into deep woods in Michigan in the spring time and am trying to decide whether I should take a tent or just a tarp and space blankets. Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk62 View Post
Wilderness survival is different than camping and hiking. Most campers and hikers do not carry guns. They carry pepper spray or a loud horn to scare animals away. Wilderness survival is going into a location deep in the mountains or woods and you take you necessities and weapons for protection against animals and whatever danger comes. Survival living and camping and hiking do not go together. And talk about assault weapons has nothing to do with hiking, camping, or wilderness survival. I know very few hardcore survivalist who carry assault weapons because most will not stop a grizzly, brown, or polar bear. C'mon man. get real. I agree with Kev. on this one.
You made some very good points.
However, we make a mistake by taking this subject as an "either" "or" situation. There can definitely be an intergration of camping and hiking skills within the area of wilderness survival, that is plainly obvious.
Wilderness survival is never negated by having equipment with you, it only makes things easier for you; if I have matches, there's no need to make a fire bow for fire even if I know how to use one.
The primary controversy appears to be the involvement of firearms in this debate. Of course there is no need to take a firearm with you while hiking and camping. if we omit the firarm issue, there are many shared commonalities in wildeness survival and camping and hiking than the existance of uncommon entities.
A firearm is desired in a survival situation, but survivalism is not predicated on having one. Survilalism is all about being able to utilize whatever you have at that present moment in time. Through hiking and camping, you can make observations in relationship to nature that increases your survival skill awareness; such as navigation or identifying edible plants in your present environment, water procurement, game and wildlife identification tracking, are all skills that can be strengthened through camping and hiking but would definitely come into play if survival were the issue at hand.
Lastly, many survivalist will choose a .22 caliber rifle before choosing an AK or an AR; this being dependant that you are not trying to defend yourself from enemy assult of course. Within a 100 yds or so, a .22 cal rifle can be extremely accurate for most small game takedowns. You can carry a greater amount of .22's than any other caliber; and the ability for evasion is increased with the lessening of sound from a .22 in terms of location detection. The likiihood of hunting small game for food is much greater than capturing big game; it not about the ability to take down a bear but more so for food procurement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Ray For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Wow .. now aftr reading all of this, id like to say that my seven children and i are going to start short hiking adventures, keeping it fairly close to home, in the bush behind our block, funnily, the thing that origonally motivated me to doing this was, oin preperation for bugging out in an emergancy, i didnt want to leave it until we faced disaster to learn the tricks of the trade, thankfully here in Australia, just 40kms from the beach, we dont have bears, though we do have lots of posinous spiders and snakes, 5 of my 7 children will be hiking with back packs to allow for the many things that we need to take, I know that many may think im crazy to take a lot of children hiking, So i guess we will have to agree to disagree, our hiking paks are almost complete and include everything i can think of from shelter, sleeping bags, first aid, water, food, fire straters, cooking basics, hand fishing gear, knife, compass and toilet paper (and much more), still have to get a local arial map, does anyone have any suggestions of things i may have overlooked, or advice, i would really appreciate it, please no smart remarks about taking children hiking, i am a single home schooling mum, i have never backed away from a challenge that is for the good of my children, and if/ when SHTF some day, i need to know that we wont panic running for the bush, to get lost and die of starvation, plus, lets face it ... wow what a class room :o)
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM

oh and we will be carrying a 7 day supply of food, not enough to fill us up, but good food, beans, lentils, split peas, dried veg, dried fruit, nuts ect, obviously we dont plan to hike for more than a day or two at a time, but if we got stuck,we have the means to survive, and signal for help
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM

Hey Sarge. Since you're in the neck of the Tennessee hills, I have questions for you. The Smokies has always intrigued me in doing some backpacking there, almost anywhere in the hills. But, the questions in mind is since there are backpacking tours and public trails to explore, is it possible to backpack in somewhere off the beaten track, or is it forbidden by the park rangers? I want to plan a solo trip into the wilderness for at least a week, somewhere around the Cherokee area. Also, is it legal to carry weapons for self defense out there? And since I really like country living, I'd like to find a plot of land to buy in the mountains, any suggestions?

Last edited by Checkmate2; 06-26-2013 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Additional comment.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:53 AM

The golden rule:

Your site your rules.

Get with the program or get out. Enough said.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingjeff View Post
Hey MMPGF would you please say what you said in plain English, or in laymans terms, or better yet in Redneck.
Don't hang your hammock too tight or rope breaks a lot easier.